Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Old Swansea Night Clubs 07:13 - May 15 with 162520 viewsLord_Bony

Hey Anyone have any memories of the plethora of clubs on offer in the 70s80s90s? The good the bad and the ugly.

My personal fave was Barons...had some brilliant times there...REALLY miss that place

Here's some from about 20 years ago

http://www.moremusic.co.uk/swansea/swanclub.htm

[Post edited 15 May 2014 7:19]

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 18:07 - May 18 with 12193 viewsMatlock_Jack

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 18:16 - May 16 by Swanzay

Slightly off topic but does anyone remember Tesco being on the kingsway, wasn't there also an underground car park were Ocean is now or is my memory confused?

I remember Tesco on the Kingsway (just down from what was formerly the Odeon). I also seem to recall the car park you refer to.
Old Swansea Night Clubs on 18:10 - May 18 with 12186 viewsMatlock_Jack

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 18:04 - May 18 by pansypants

Where was the Admiral Benbow? I have heard many a tale

Limeslade and the car park was something of a lover's lane, but that's going back to 1992.
Old Swansea Night Clubs on 18:23 - May 18 with 12173 viewsDyfnant

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 17:29 - May 18 by Brynmill_Jack

The valbonne was on Northampton lane next to/above the old city tavern.
Castaways was certainly attached to the old Caswell bay hotel. By the time I came of age it shut. I was gutted!

Is the Caswell bay hotel now known as Redcliff, around 50 or so flats there?

Poll: How much will SCFC spend on transfer fees this summer

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 18:29 - May 18 with 12163 viewsStarsky

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 18:23 - May 18 by Dyfnant

Yes

It's just the internet, init.

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 18:29 - May 18 with 12158 viewsJackfath

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 18:23 - May 18 by Dyfnant

No, it was on the opposite side of the road.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 18:33 - May 18 with 12160 viewsStarsky

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 18:29 - May 18 by Jackfath

No, it was on the opposite side of the road.

Yes you are right. My bad. The flats are known as caswell bay court

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 18:34 - May 18 with 12149 viewsJackfath

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 18:33 - May 18 by Starsky

Yes you are right. My bad. The flats are known as caswell bay court

Yep.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 18:37 - May 18 with 12152 viewsStarsky

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 18:34 - May 18 by Jackfath

Yep.

Many a famous party there with Toshs glory teams

Login to get fewer ads

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 20:59 - May 18 with 12093 viewsjack_lord

My brother had his wedding evening do in the Caswell bay and I loved Neptunes so much I had my wedding reception in Castellmare upstairs. (we did get married a good few years apart).
I went to the club in the caswell bay a good few times and Secrets after the mermaid but always preferred Neptunes and then Bentleys.

Lord_Jack increasingly detached from the riches of kicking a ball
Poll: The E U : Stay or Leave

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 22:20 - May 18 with 12043 viewsGeoffThom

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 18:34 - May 18 by Jackfath

Yep.

One of the biggest travesties ever getting g rid of the Caswell bay should never been allowed to happen I had many a great day sitting outside there in the sun after a twenty a side game of footy with a beer in my hand getting slowly wrecked then back down the steps to sleep it off
Old Swansea Night Clubs on 21:18 - May 23 with 11942 viewsLord_Bony

Whatever happened to FLARES disco.?

Used to love getting smashed on that lit up dance floor and strutting to the sound of Y.M.C.A and the disco sounds of the 70s...went to the one in Cardiff last week and the magic is still there..only just..soon it I'll be gone I suppose.

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 21:33 - May 23 with 11928 viewsPacemaker

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 21:37 - May 15 by Darran

I saw all them,the revillos,UK Subs,The Tourists,Tom Robinson Band and loads more at the Troubadour ,Port Talbot.

We must have been there at the same time, saw all those bands used at the Troubadour.

Life is an adventure or nothing at all.

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 21:34 - May 23 with 11927 viewsDarran

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 21:33 - May 23 by Pacemaker

We must have been there at the same time, saw all those bands used at the Troubadour.

Twas a great place LJ.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 21:41 - May 23 with 11921 viewsPacemaker

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 21:34 - May 23 by Darran

Twas a great place LJ.

A gang of us used to go over from the Rhondda in a dodgy minibus and we all used to be deaf on the way home and pissed on some shitty stuff.

I used to go all over S Wales to watch bands but I am pretty sure The Troubadour was the hottest place I have seen bands. It was like a sweat box.

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 21:42 - May 23 with 11916 viewsDarran

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 21:41 - May 23 by Pacemaker

A gang of us used to go over from the Rhondda in a dodgy minibus and we all used to be deaf on the way home and pissed on some shitty stuff.

I used to go all over S Wales to watch bands but I am pretty sure The Troubadour was the hottest place I have seen bands. It was like a sweat box.

The carpet was so sticky after a few it was difficult to walk across it.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 21:46 - May 23 with 11905 viewsPacemaker

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 21:42 - May 23 by Darran

The carpet was so sticky after a few it was difficult to walk across it.

I have one sad memory of pulling a girl in there and thinking I was in and telling the boys I would make my own way back, just before her father came to have a stern word with me.

It was a very long walk back to Blaengwynfi where I was eventually picked up hitch hiking and dropped off home in time to go to work. I made out I had a wild night of passion to hide my shame!
[Post edited 23 May 2014 21:47]

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 21:53 - May 23 with 11891 viewsLord_Bony

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 21:46 - May 23 by Pacemaker

I have one sad memory of pulling a girl in there and thinking I was in and telling the boys I would make my own way back, just before her father came to have a stern word with me.

It was a very long walk back to Blaengwynfi where I was eventually picked up hitch hiking and dropped off home in time to go to work. I made out I had a wild night of passion to hide my shame!
[Post edited 23 May 2014 21:47]

Sorry to mention the age thing guys but it was a long time ago
[Post edited 23 May 2014 22:09]

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 22:45 - May 23 with 11834 viewsmarchamjack

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 18:37 - May 18 by Starsky

Many a famous party there with Toshs glory teams

Signed there by Tosh himself for the Cygnets back in the day (u14's...never made it of course)

Better memories later when it was Castaways. Blue Moon's used to be the ladies favourite drink. One girl's party trick was to bite a chunk out of the glass after finishing it, classy...

Cinders. Me and Mrs MJ first got it together there (took her outside and down by the small beach area...another story). Met up again then years later with her after going our separate ways and then stayed together (need a thread how you met your missus).

Oh,..Dave, what's occuring?

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 22:46 - May 23 with 11833 viewsPacemaker

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 21:53 - May 23 by Lord_Bony

Sorry to mention the age thing guys but it was a long time ago
[Post edited 23 May 2014 22:09]

It was a very long time ago but my feet are still wrecked!

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 23:55 - May 23 with 11798 viewsLord_Bony

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 22:46 - May 23 by Pacemaker

It was a very long time ago but my feet are still wrecked!

79/80 dare I say it?

I once used to court a girl from Jersey Road Blaengwynffi Know the place well is that pub still there I think its called The Railway>?
[Post edited 23 May 2014 23:55]

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 00:38 - May 24 with 11778 viewsWarwickHunt

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 14:45 - May 18 by oldgrey

I love the description of the west cross country club as "upmarket". Not when I went there. To get around the arcane licensing laws of the time (this was the early 70s) you had a ticket for a "meal" - a hot dog. Friday night was always the patti accompanied by Warwick and others. In the days before licensing laws were reformed, we used to go places like the regency club to fill the difficult hours between 3:30 and 5:30. Plus that club that Ray Tilley owned whose name defeats me. Anyone remember when they tried to make Dora's a respectable nightclub and turned away anyone scruffily dressed. Think the man band wrote a song about. Also if you didn't have or forgot a tie, many clubs would refuse you entry. Toilet paper ties became a useful substitute.

Happy days, Nige!

Got in some right states at the Patti...

Ray Tilley? Not someone you'd want to f*ck with...
Old Swansea Night Clubs on 08:00 - May 24 with 11724 viewsPacemaker

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 23:55 - May 23 by Lord_Bony

79/80 dare I say it?

I once used to court a girl from Jersey Road Blaengwynffi Know the place well is that pub still there I think its called The Railway>?
[Post edited 23 May 2014 23:55]

The tunnel hotel was at the bottom of Blaengwynfi and the Great Western in the square. Considering the size of the place it did have quite a few pubs and clubs. I haven't been there for years I remember the Western was shut for a while but pretty sure the Tunnel is still open.

It must have been about 1979/80 as I was def 18 or thereabouts when the walking incident occurred!

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 20:22 - May 24 with 11673 viewsborinifanclub

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 11:18 - May 15 by mawdlamjack

don't forget Nuts in the mumbles.
didn't frequent disco's much but was a regular for live bands at the Patti on a Friday and dirty dora's on a Sunday
i'm on the inside cover of the album featured in my avatar(Man-Xmas at the Patti) next to spiv at the mixing desk

nuts!...anyone remember the 'pool' parties they used to have? straw bales everywhere and half a dozen kiddies paddling pools dotted around ...absolute mayhem and an ex heavyweight boxer Neville Meade running the curry house on the first floor!

Every day I thank the good Lord for the blessings he gives me. Every new day gives me a new opportunity to laugh at the red chumps up the road.

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 20:27 - May 24 with 11670 viewsborinifanclub

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 19:45 - May 15 by jacksinceever

Prince of Wales was facing the Kingsway straight on. The Weatherspoons pub was a car dealer (Oscar Chess I think) back in the day

I made the sign for the prince of wales (the feathers with ich dien) It was on the wall for years!

Every day I thank the good Lord for the blessings he gives me. Every new day gives me a new opportunity to laugh at the red chumps up the road.

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 20:49 - May 24 with 11651 viewsTrundle10

Ritzy's.. Worked on the doors there for a spell in the late 90's just when it was being changed to Time.... great club, Great times!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024