Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mel Charles in the EP 09:27 - Jul 8 with 3271 viewsBrockley_Jack

Don't know if it's been covered but how heart wrenching. http://www.southwales-eveningpost.co.uk/community-feeling-time-catches/story-213
Mel Charles in the EP on 09:56 - Jul 8 with 3173 viewsStarsky

Don't take this the wrong way BJ but at 79 he's having a great innings so to speak.
April court sounds one of the nicer homes and he probably has a decent social life there.
There were similar recent threads about Ronnie Rees who occasionally gets to some home games.
Wouldn't it be great if Swansea City looked after their 'old soldiers' arranging regular visits to the Liberty and keep them involved so we don't forget about them?
Perhaps we already do stuff like this.
ATB Mel, YJB.

It's just the internet, init.

Mel Charles in the EP on 10:02 - Jul 8 with 3151 viewsDr_Winston

Given the amount he used to put away on a daily basis he's done remarkably well to hit 79. Wonder if Mel Nurse is still helping him out.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Mel Charles in the EP on 10:08 - Jul 8 with 3130 viewsDarran

Mel Charles in the EP on 10:02 - Jul 8 by Dr_Winston

Given the amount he used to put away on a daily basis he's done remarkably well to hit 79. Wonder if Mel Nurse is still helping him out.

I was just about to say a similar thing,he's a nice fella and I used to speak to him a lot in the Vetch days but he could have looked after himself better.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Mel Charles in the EP on 10:26 - Jul 8 with 3057 viewsperchrockjack

pretty upsetting seeing that photo.

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Mel Charles in the EP on 10:40 - Jul 8 with 3004 viewsStarsky

Mel Charles in the EP on 10:26 - Jul 8 by perchrockjack

pretty upsetting seeing that photo.

Why? He's old and smiling.
What's upsetting about that?

Mel Charles in the EP on 12:11 - Jul 8 with 2869 viewsScoobyDoo

Sorry to see Mel Charles fall on hard times, played 80 odd games for us as well which the EP missed out but i wish him well.
Mel Charles in the EP on 12:42 - Jul 8 with 2771 viewsNOTRAC

Rather than visiting the Liberty, wouldn't it be even better if arrangements were made for our players to visit him ,and before such a visit his football exploits were explained to them.
It might even bring some of them down to earth and realise that their fame and success is not timeless and shouldn't be wasted.

Poll: Has the Europa Cup been worth entering this year?

Mel Charles in the EP on 12:44 - Jul 8 with 2763 viewsscottishjack

My mum stays at April Court, nice place and lovely staff.
Login to get fewer ads

Mel Charles in the EP on 17:59 - Jul 8 with 2524 viewsperchrockjack

Its upsetting because he looks frail and I remember him as a bear of a man. Time really does screw your mind- mine anyway so sorry to upset you starksky.
Apart from that, he s lost his teeth

Mel Charles in the EP on 18:09 - Jul 8 with 2498 viewsStarsky

Mel Charles in the EP on 17:59 - Jul 8 by perchrockjack

Its upsetting because he looks frail and I remember him as a bear of a man. Time really does screw your mind- mine anyway so sorry to upset you starksky.
Apart from that, he s lost his teeth

I wasn't being being facetious, Richie, I thought he looked happy in the picture that's all.
I don't want to upset anyone with my face when I'm his age... If I get there.

Mel Charles in the EP on 18:11 - Jul 8 with 2494 viewsDarran

Mel Charles in the EP on 18:09 - Jul 8 by Starsky

I wasn't being being facetious, Richie, I thought he looked happy in the picture that's all.
I don't want to upset anyone with my face when I'm his age... If I get there.

You do that now.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Mel Charles in the EP on 18:12 - Jul 8 with 2490 viewsperchrockjack

I accept that starks me ol mucker but to me he looks rather pathetic. This man was really full of physique and strength. Its age but I ll take it rather than the alternative

Mel Charles in the EP on 18:15 - Jul 8 with 2478 viewsStarsky

Mel Charles in the EP on 18:11 - Jul 8 by Darran

You do that now.

I'll have you know that I'm a trophy husband you massive quilt

Mel Charles in the EP on 18:16 - Jul 8 with 2471 viewsperchrockjack

and probably an excellent sh@g too..

Mel Charles in the EP on 18:16 - Jul 8 with 2470 viewsStarsky

Mel Charles in the EP on 18:12 - Jul 8 by perchrockjack

I accept that starks me ol mucker but to me he looks rather pathetic. This man was really full of physique and strength. Its age but I ll take it rather than the alternative

Ah... You're a tad older than me, I've not seen him in his prime. I'm a tad thoughtless now and again

Mel Charles in the EP on 18:22 - Jul 8 with 2443 viewsperchrockjack

No prob la.Me dad went to Manselton school as they did and about the same time. Simple lads who never really maximised their earnings through poor decisions. GOOD LADS THOUGH

Mel Charles in the EP on 18:25 - Jul 8 with 2427 viewsStarsky

Mel Charles in the EP on 18:16 - Jul 8 by perchrockjack

and probably an excellent sh@g too..

Nope. I have a really bad back... Sigh

Mel Charles in the EP on 18:39 - Jul 8 with 2395 viewsScoobyWho

Being old when once you were a spring chicken, no worries, no problems is a problem for all the elderly, not just Mel. I know he loved a pint though ;-) he looks happy enough, if I make 80 Ill be singing and smiling too. To get to that age you have lived a long and decent life and many would change places with him willingly.

DGT Bullshit Connoisseur.
Poll: Election 2015 Thread : Who will you vote for ?

Mel Charles in the EP on 19:19 - Jul 8 with 2346 viewstf_jack

Mel Charles in the EP on 18:39 - Jul 8 by ScoobyWho

Being old when once you were a spring chicken, no worries, no problems is a problem for all the elderly, not just Mel. I know he loved a pint though ;-) he looks happy enough, if I make 80 Ill be singing and smiling too. To get to that age you have lived a long and decent life and many would change places with him willingly.

I'm only 68 and think Mel looks fine for 79.

Tough times don't last. Tough people do.

Mel Charles in the EP on 20:03 - Jul 8 with 2289 viewsjacabertawe

I used to attend Cwmbwrla Infant School and Mel (and John) lived in adjacent Fern Street. There was a huge rush from the playground one day when someone saw Mel walking past, with some of my pals lucky enough to get his autograph. He must have been in his late teens then.
Yes, surely the Club can find a way to remind him that his is remembered and appreciated?

Britishness...is a political synonym for Englishness which extends English culture over the Scots, the Welsh, and the Irish. - Gwynfor Evans

Mel Charles in the EP on 20:41 - Jul 8 with 2239 viewsepaul

Mel and Mel are best of mates. My dad play(s)(ed) cards with them regularly down the Sandfields up until recently, not sure if they still do. Mel Nurse is going well strong.

The hair and the beard have gone I am now conforming to society, tis a sad day The b*stards are coming back though

Mel Charles in the EP on 22:20 - Jul 8 with 2147 viewsScoobyWho

Mel Charles in the EP on 19:19 - Jul 8 by tf_jack

I'm only 68 and think Mel looks fine for 79.

Agreed 100%

DGT Bullshit Connoisseur.
Poll: Election 2015 Thread : Who will you vote for ?

Mel Charles in the EP on 23:06 - Jul 8 with 2089 viewsLeonisGod

Mel Charles in the EP on 22:20 - Jul 8 by ScoobyWho

Agreed 100%

I'd have thought 79 is pretty early to end up in a home. Nobody in my family has got to that stage before 90 (so sods law says I'll be knackered by 50).
Mel Charles in the EP on 23:10 - Jul 8 with 2086 viewsDr_Winston

Mel Charles in the EP on 20:41 - Jul 8 by epaul

Mel and Mel are best of mates. My dad play(s)(ed) cards with them regularly down the Sandfields up until recently, not sure if they still do. Mel Nurse is going well strong.

They're still regular drinking cronies. Think April Court is more where Mel Charles sleeps rather than his intensive carers.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Mel Charles in the EP on 23:14 - Jul 8 with 2071 viewsepaul

Mel Charles in the EP on 23:10 - Jul 8 by Dr_Winston

They're still regular drinking cronies. Think April Court is more where Mel Charles sleeps rather than his intensive carers.

The card school(Euchre) is in the Bad, but I think it's moved to the Robin Hood, the old man goes and plays every Thursday

The hair and the beard have gone I am now conforming to society, tis a sad day The b*stards are coming back though

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024