Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
FAO "yescomeon" re: "Time Revisited" and your book recommendation 21:36 - Jul 30 with 453 viewsDavillin

Yescomeon, I received Lanza's Biocentrism this afternoon and had a quick look at it.

Although it is my usual practice to start reading with the title page and not missing a page on my way, when I have a book I'm not yet sure about, I'll look for Addenda or Appendices to see if the author has made any drastic changes that I might need to be aware of; and sometimes I look at the index to see what the important points will be.

After reading all of the prefatory material, I then took the latter course and checked the back of the book. I was originally interested in references to Einstein, and then in who the author cites often.

I was pleased to see Carl Sagan there twice -- and neither reference worth the space it took up (rightfully so); but I was most interested to see Emerson referenced about a dozen times.

When I was in graduate school, my major studies were American Literature, sub-study Transcendentalism, and the subject of my sadly never-finished dissertation was on Emerson. Emerson has been one of the most important guides in my philosophical life. I then checked his references, and Lanza hit the nail squarely on the head every time with a devastatingly accurate and apropos quotation.

That clinched it. I will read the book as soon as possible, after only Sumbler's book, and even ahead of a couple of other fascinating books I have started and set aside temporarily.

I do intend to to put a miniature book review on here when I'm finished with it.

This might sound contradictory, but I hope I'm not to be disappointed. Thanks.
[Post edited 30 Jul 2014 21:37]

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

FAO "yescomeon" re: "Time Revisited" and your book recommendation on 13:36 - Jul 31 with 402 viewsyescomeon

Glad it will be of interest to you and I very much look forward to your review of the book. It is a very important work in my opinion, much of what he has says in the book echos thoughts I have had my self back when I was studying quantum mechanics. I remember whilst reading it there were one or two things that I didn't quite agree with (can't remeber what they were specifically, I will have to re-read the book when I have a bit more spare time).

It was one of those books that I would have to put down every now and then to mull over what was just said, to me that is the sign of a good book. Hope you enjoy it.

Upthecity!

FAO "yescomeon" re: "Time Revisited" and your book recommendation on 00:51 - Aug 17 with 355 viewsDavillin

FAO "yescomeon" re: "Time Revisited" and your book recommendation on 13:36 - Jul 31 by yescomeon

Glad it will be of interest to you and I very much look forward to your review of the book. It is a very important work in my opinion, much of what he has says in the book echos thoughts I have had my self back when I was studying quantum mechanics. I remember whilst reading it there were one or two things that I didn't quite agree with (can't remeber what they were specifically, I will have to re-read the book when I have a bit more spare time).

It was one of those books that I would have to put down every now and then to mull over what was just said, to me that is the sign of a good book. Hope you enjoy it.

re: Lanza's Biocentrism.

Important update. Yescmeon, please take note.

After I finished Graveyard to Ambition, and reeling from the effort, I first decided to take a day or two off from the reading schedule. Later, upon further reflection, I decided not to take the next book from the top of the stack, but to go right to Biocentrism.

The "Introduction" alone was a hit, as I agreed with virtually everything in it, after having been thinking about that for quite a few years. This began when I was in graduate school in the late 60s and 70s, studying Emerson, Thoreau, and the other Transcendentalists, who planted the seeds of the Oversoul and the nature of creation, which Lanza has reworked -- and expanded -- into "biocentrism."

Chapters 1-3 followed on very quickly, with my reaction being exactly the same, and my being even more impressed.

I also decided that I couldn't wait until the end to tell you how this book has struck me -- not changing what I have been working through, but helping me to see it even more clearly. When I have finished it, I'll give a slightly more detailed report.

In the meantime, many thanks for putting it in my way!

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024