Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What's "wrong" with Christianity? 20:17 - Aug 3 with 30030 viewsDavillin

What's "wrong" with Christianity?

N.B. In my opinion, it's not what's "wrong" with Christianity, but rather what's wrong with certain dismissive analyses of Christianity.

Everything that's "wrong" with Christianity is not about Christ and his teaching, but is about matters tangential to his teaching.

First and foremost, the Old Testament. Eliminate all of it and all of the hate-filled attacks on the thousands of sometimes imaginary and sometimes at least partly imaginary, and this would be a quieter place, and a quieter message board.

Second, eliminate all of the mythical elements like angels singing on high, and three wise men, and immaculate conception, and virgin birth, etc, etc, etc.

Third, eliminate all of the happy horsesh!t that goes on within the formalized churches -- especially the Catholic Church -- everything from fanciful non-Biblical embellishments and sometimes exceedingly silly rules and dogma, to long-past historical peccadilloes and worse, long-past political, economic, and military outrages.

Fourth, eliminate all of the excesses in wealth, ostentatious wealth, and pseudo regal trappings.

Fifth, do not be put off by Christ's speaking of Heaven and Hell, and the Father, but remember that these are images fully understood by his unsophisticated audience as images of one kind or another, and are not granite-hard reality.

Not one of the things I describe above has anything significant to do with either Christ or his teachings. When you ignore or eliminate all of those things, you will have the freedom to get to the heart of his teaching.

Although you can be richly rewarded by searching through the New Testament, reading all of the red typeface (which is a standard indication of the words of Christ), you really need go no further than the Sermon on the Mount, where, in essence, he gives an explication of The Ten Commandments, which alone give anyone who wants it a guide to a moral life.

http://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/Matthew-5_7/

The "pixies and fairies" so beloved of those who wish to denigrate either the Bible, religion itself, or just Christianity, were put in there as a means of explaining astoundingly complex concepts to people who were completely ill-equipped to understand them without these "teaching aids."

Anyone who is, or pretends to be, intelligent and well-read, should know to move immediately beyond these images and get to the heart of the teaching.

I not only admit, but trumpet aloud, the fact that it is far too easy to be dismissive based on tangentials, and difficult to get past them to the meaning, and moreover sometimes difficult beyond some persons' intellectual capacity.

In my opinion, it's better simply to not get involved in these discussions than to try to fight against the closed mind, and especially the mind that is closed because of non-essential and inconsequential side issues.

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

What's on 07:59 - Aug 8 with 1412 viewsJackoBoostardo

What's on 07:13 - Aug 8 by Dizzy

So there aren't billions of religious people on the planet? That's about the only fact I can recall being thrown about. If religious people have " flawed theories" then there are a lot of people on the planet with flawed theories, not just about religion either. ( the very essence of my point)
However people who practice religion don't have theory, they have faith. If faith brings comfort to someone, you are not in a position to tell them they are wrong.
Not everyone has supportive family. Not every one has friends. Some people are born into poverty or worse. People are sometimes not afforded the same passage through life that most if us have had. In times of hardship they need to believe there is something there. Why is that wrong?
Whilst I don't recall there being too many FACTS posted on here, the same cant be said about opinion. I love how your status as a scientist affords you the ability to diagnose the whole planet. I have a degree in engineering. How does that qualify to me as an authority on anything other than my field of study? Has your scientific research been into the redundancy of religion?
If so I would like to read it.
[Post edited 8 Aug 2014 7:46]

Read back through the thread and all will be revealed.

I'm not going to repeat myself continuously.

You sound a lot like drizzle.....

And we're Swaaaaanseeeea Ciiiityyyy! Swaaaansseeeaaa Ciiiityyy F C! We're not necessarily the greatest team in football, the world has ever seen (but we're possibly the most honest and resilient). - On behalf of The Campaign For Realistic Crowd Chanting
Poll: How could Van Persie survive such an horrific attack were it to happen again?

What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 08:10 - Aug 8 with 1418 viewsDizzy

I guess answering my questions is devastating to your stance. Precisely the reason I ask them. As a scientist you should know, empiricism is all we have.
What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 08:19 - Aug 8 with 1404 viewsDizzy

Fill in the blanks.
Only people with multiple accounts get in a flap about people using multiple accounts.
Only trolls accuse other board uses of being trolls.
Only --------- accuse other board users of being psychopaths.
Enjoy.
What's on 09:26 - Aug 8 with 1381 viewsMillJack

What's on 23:24 - Aug 7 by Davillin

Milljack:

Did you read what I wrote and what he said I wrote? If not, don't reply, or read it below. If you did, did you not see that what he criticized is not even close to what I wrote. I append the exchange after the next two sentences.

I did not in this case "close my ears," and I never have except in situations that I have clearly identified -- discourtesy, foul language, misrepresenting what I write. JJJack's problem is that my ears were wide open and I saw his misrepresentation of what I wrote.

Here's what I wrote, and what he said I wrote:

"I wrote that I consider it better to not try to "fight against the closed mind," and NOT "don't bother disagreeing with me." If you don't understand the difference, you're hopeless.*

Your personal attacks on me as "petulant" and not listening to "people who you disagree with me," or "consider 'inferior' to yourself in some way," are annoying. Your last incorrect assumption is probably the most frequent reason for certain posters to give me sh!t -- they see themselves as inferior, even though I do not see them that way. I am who I am and they can't deal with that.

Feel free to attack me for what I write, full stop. I don't remember ever having responded to one of your posts before, but you have immediately lost my respect.

* You may feel free to read the entire exchange within the thread and see if you might wish to reconsider what you wrote.
[Post edited 8 Aug 2014 2:02]

Well Dav, I'm sorry that I have lost your respect but you seem to have conveniently ignored the parts of my message where I said that I "always read your posts with a great deal of interest" or that I "find your posts, in the most part, thought-provoking" and that you're "clearly educated".

I also didn't doubt the fact that JJJack had misrepresented your message, just the sanity of you blocking him simply for doing so.

Anyway, I didn't come here for an argument but I think, by you blocking those that you have, the forum is missing out on some interesting exchanges!
What's on 09:36 - Aug 8 with 1363 viewsShaky

What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 08:19 - Aug 8 by Dizzy

Fill in the blanks.
Only people with multiple accounts get in a flap about people using multiple accounts.
Only trolls accuse other board uses of being trolls.
Only --------- accuse other board users of being psychopaths.
Enjoy.

. . .And only psychoboy is sufficiently detached from reality to present his pet theories as laws of nature, within minutes of having lectured us on the need for empiricism.

Top quality entertainment. LOL!

Misology -- It's a bitch
Poll: Greatest PS Troll Hunter of all time

What's on 11:36 - Aug 8 with 1332 viewsDizzy

What's on 09:36 - Aug 8 by Shaky

. . .And only psychoboy is sufficiently detached from reality to present his pet theories as laws of nature, within minutes of having lectured us on the need for empiricism.

Top quality entertainment. LOL!

But I have researched the subject thoroughly. I reached the conclusions by experiment. The people who appear to get most aggravated by me on here are all trolls.
You are clearly mental, yet you accuse everyone who makes you look silly of being psychopathic.
[Post edited 8 Aug 2014 11:53]
What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 12:06 - Aug 8 with 1316 viewsBatterseajack

So the conclusion of this thread is that if you dilute Christianity and take out all the magical things, clearly made up stuff and outdated guff then cherry pick any good bits left over, then its not so bad after all. I guess that's fine, if people want to delude themselves into believing it and it makes them happy, then immerse yourself in it.

I don't however think Christianity has ever lead the way in good behaviour and social morality. It's hardly paved the way for better social equality for women's rights, ethnic rights and gays. In fact, it's always seems to be dragging its heals over these issues, before playing catch up to appear relevant in modern society.
What's on 14:05 - Aug 8 with 1293 viewsDavillin

What's on 09:26 - Aug 8 by MillJack

Well Dav, I'm sorry that I have lost your respect but you seem to have conveniently ignored the parts of my message where I said that I "always read your posts with a great deal of interest" or that I "find your posts, in the most part, thought-provoking" and that you're "clearly educated".

I also didn't doubt the fact that JJJack had misrepresented your message, just the sanity of you blocking him simply for doing so.

Anyway, I didn't come here for an argument but I think, by you blocking those that you have, the forum is missing out on some interesting exchanges!

Three points.

There's an ancient joke about compliments and insults, that your first paragraph reminded me of: "He's a nice guy, but his feet stink."

I appreciate that you accept that he misrepresented me. I'm going to start another thread about "blocking" shortly. Join us.

Regarding your last paragraph. I don't block people in order to have the forum "miss out on some interesting exchanges." I block them for the reasons I have set forth on here several times.

When I was a young lad, we used to go to county fairs and circuses which had what were openly called "freak shows." Even then, I felt sorry for those poor souls who had to parade their so-called "freakishness" before the public -- even when some of their attributes were faked.

I do not see PlanetSwans as a place where I should be on display to participate in "some interesting exchanges" based on my being treated discourteously, being the recipient of foul and obnoxious language, or having my words twisted, in order to provide entertainment for others..

Login to get fewer ads

What's on 14:06 - Aug 8 with 1282 viewsShaky

What's on 11:36 - Aug 8 by Dizzy

But I have researched the subject thoroughly. I reached the conclusions by experiment. The people who appear to get most aggravated by me on here are all trolls.
You are clearly mental, yet you accuse everyone who makes you look silly of being psychopathic.
[Post edited 8 Aug 2014 11:53]

You're telling me nothing I hadn't already surmised.

According to your own personal worldview anybody who thinks you are a tedious little c*nt is a troll. And by extension since you consider that an absolute fact you feel fully justified in using your battery of IDs for the purposes of your cowardly bullying and badgering.

You see yourself as the noble lone crusading knight, fighting the evils of the world, and just like in the days of old the majority of the wrongs you combat are by the large all creations of your tiny and twisted little mind.

That is why you are what you are, psychoboy.

As for your assertion that I am "clearly mental", according to your own homespun aherm scientific logic that represents proof positive you are not in possession of a full basket of apples.

Ponder that for a while, psychoboy, and if you do decide to get a second, more professional opinion I would ask the attending psychiatrist to consider the possibility of a martyr complex as well as the more obvious psychopath diagnosis.

Misology -- It's a bitch

What's on 17:07 - Aug 8 with 1257 viewsDizzy

What's on 14:06 - Aug 8 by Shaky

You're telling me nothing I hadn't already surmised.

According to your own personal worldview anybody who thinks you are a tedious little c*nt is a troll. And by extension since you consider that an absolute fact you feel fully justified in using your battery of IDs for the purposes of your cowardly bullying and badgering.

You see yourself as the noble lone crusading knight, fighting the evils of the world, and just like in the days of old the majority of the wrongs you combat are by the large all creations of your tiny and twisted little mind.

That is why you are what you are, psychoboy.

As for your assertion that I am "clearly mental", according to your own homespun aherm scientific logic that represents proof positive you are not in possession of a full basket of apples.

Ponder that for a while, psychoboy, and if you do decide to get a second, more professional opinion I would ask the attending psychiatrist to consider the possibility of a martyr complex as well as the more obvious psychopath diagnosis.

I have never disclosed my own personal worldview. I have made some observations based on my experience of this board.
You have no idea how I see myself( its crazy to suggest as such) but you have used your mind to try and imagine quite wrongly. (More on this later, its quite fascinating)
Plenty of people have multiple IDs and use them similarly( I notice you joined this thread specifically because I was here....)
My assertion that you are clearly mental based on 2 years of reading this board.
My Aunt is a psychiatrist. She thinks you're hilarious. Have you ever considered that all that angry stuff you typed about "me" was actually about yourself? You see yourself as a lone crusading knight etc. How on earth could you suppose to read someones thoughts and emotions to that degree? Its actually pretty insane. You chose all those words to describe someone you have never even met. Its all very telling. You are revealing yourself with these outbursts. The good news for you is that help is at hand.
Why do you use psychopathy as an insult? Psychopaths are very resourceful people. I'm sure there is a list of famous psychopaths you can google.
[Post edited 8 Aug 2014 17:26]
What's on 17:30 - Aug 8 with 1256 viewsShaky

What's on 17:07 - Aug 8 by Dizzy

I have never disclosed my own personal worldview. I have made some observations based on my experience of this board.
You have no idea how I see myself( its crazy to suggest as such) but you have used your mind to try and imagine quite wrongly. (More on this later, its quite fascinating)
Plenty of people have multiple IDs and use them similarly( I notice you joined this thread specifically because I was here....)
My assertion that you are clearly mental based on 2 years of reading this board.
My Aunt is a psychiatrist. She thinks you're hilarious. Have you ever considered that all that angry stuff you typed about "me" was actually about yourself? You see yourself as a lone crusading knight etc. How on earth could you suppose to read someones thoughts and emotions to that degree? Its actually pretty insane. You chose all those words to describe someone you have never even met. Its all very telling. You are revealing yourself with these outbursts. The good news for you is that help is at hand.
Why do you use psychopathy as an insult? Psychopaths are very resourceful people. I'm sure there is a list of famous psychopaths you can google.
[Post edited 8 Aug 2014 17:26]

What I like about that post is you have turned defensive. Good.

Stay like that and don't try to bully and intimidate posters with your multiple IDs and you won't hear a peep from me, because frankly I don't give a shit about you.

Oh and if you want me to stop calling you psychoboy I would advise you to settle on a single posting ID; that would save me from the necesity of using the shorthand, don't you see?

Misology -- It's a bitch

What's on 17:35 - Aug 8 with 1261 viewsDizzy

What's on 17:30 - Aug 8 by Shaky

What I like about that post is you have turned defensive. Good.

Stay like that and don't try to bully and intimidate posters with your multiple IDs and you won't hear a peep from me, because frankly I don't give a shit about you.

Oh and if you want me to stop calling you psychoboy I would advise you to settle on a single posting ID; that would save me from the necesity of using the shorthand, don't you see?

Uhh defensive. I'm calling you insane just in a polite manner. I don't care if you call me psychoboy.
What's on 17:41 - Aug 8 with 1245 viewsShaky

What's on 17:35 - Aug 8 by Dizzy

Uhh defensive. I'm calling you insane just in a polite manner. I don't care if you call me psychoboy.

Nope, you are trying to justify calling me insane. See the difference?

Oh and trying to troll some kind of reaction and human contact. Pathetic is what you are, sonny.

Now f*ck off.

Misology -- It's a bitch

What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 17:42 - Aug 8 with 1252 viewsDizzy

I cant have turned defensive if wasn't being offensive. You came into this thread all guns blazing. YOU were being offensive, now YOU are being defensive.
Once the words leave my typewriter they are the your responsibility. I will use this forum as I always have. If you don't like what I do - suck it up.
What's on 17:50 - Aug 8 with 1246 viewsDizzy

What's on 17:41 - Aug 8 by Shaky

Nope, you are trying to justify calling me insane. See the difference?

Oh and trying to troll some kind of reaction and human contact. Pathetic is what you are, sonny.

Now f*ck off.

You try to justify calling me insane. It just doesn't bother me what you do. That's the only difference.
So I'm here to troll?

There 350 pages of you trolling on here. THATS pathetic.
What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 17:56 - Aug 8 with 1238 viewsJackfath

What a charming friendly thread!

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

What's on 17:58 - Aug 8 with 1235 viewsDieLoo

Shaky's appearance on this thread puts me mind of this.

Attack Attack..... run away run away
[Post edited 8 Aug 2014 17:59]
What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 18:17 - Aug 8 with 1217 viewsC_jack

What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 23:01 - Aug 7 by JackoBoostardo

Okay, to repeat myself - what positivity could religion bring to someone that their family and friends cannot? And isn't the support from other 'humans' more tangible than myth?

So rejecting the testimony of others, or simply pointing out why their theories are flawed?

And all the scorn I'm getting? It appears to be a select group of people who all troll with eachother. For all I know, and others, they could even be one and the same - it's not unheard of is it!

I don't claim to know everything - I never have done. But the things I do know I can discuss with confidence. I am also still very much learning, along with every other scientist and discoverer - the universe and everything in it is an awesome place and I never tire of making new discoveries. I also know that by taking the time to learn and discover, you will understand that a god is an impossibility. Millions of years of natural development and refinement has made us what we are today.

You may or may not know that I am a scientist (and have been involved in a variety of fields but currently working on renewable fuels and technology consultation to a number of fuel corporations at present). Now, this isn't to say I'm bragging, but simply explaining that I am not discussing this topic as a layman. This is a very difficult and emotive topic to discuss, and get across to people - but some here simply troll. So when you talk about Drizzle and his evidence, I DO happen to know his facts are flawed and incorrect. Having done the research, travelled the world and seen the things I have been privileged to see and met really extraordinary people in my life so far, it becomes apparent that there can be no possible god.

All we need as humans is to recognise our humanity - act on the instinct that comes naturally from being a civilised species.

So there's my statement - for the record.

Why are you struggling to understand that the two are not mutually exclusive? People can take positives from both religion, and their family and friends, they are not in competition with one another.

Poll: Who did you vote for today, in the general election?

What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 18:32 - Aug 8 with 1213 viewsDrizzle

What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 18:17 - Aug 8 by C_jack

Why are you struggling to understand that the two are not mutually exclusive? People can take positives from both religion, and their family and friends, they are not in competition with one another.

Wow that's like so unrealistic dude.

Whats saddest about this thread is that science is about keeping an open mind. Its a poor scientist that only accepts results that support his original hypothesis.
What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 18:50 - Aug 8 with 1204 viewsDavillin

What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 18:32 - Aug 8 by Drizzle

Wow that's like so unrealistic dude.

Whats saddest about this thread is that science is about keeping an open mind. Its a poor scientist that only accepts results that support his original hypothesis.

Sadly, science is rarely part of a discussion about religion -- except as a weapon to discredit the other side.

Oh, and there are far too many poor scientists out there, by your definition, which I accept.

What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 18:57 - Aug 8 with 1194 viewsCygnus

What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 17:56 - Aug 8 by Jackfath

What a charming friendly thread!

Everyone should just clam the f*ck down.

It s the usual antagonists led by Devilin causing mayhem,hatred and misery on here once more...
What's on 19:02 - Aug 8 with 1193 viewsDizzy

What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 18:57 - Aug 8 by Cygnus

It s the usual antagonists led by Devilin causing mayhem,hatred and misery on here once more...

Yes nothing to do with cloth eared pseudo-scientists
[Post edited 8 Aug 2014 19:02]
What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 19:13 - Aug 8 with 1178 viewsDavillin

What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 18:57 - Aug 8 by Cygnus

Two points:

I refuse to clam down. Slimey little bass turds they are.

I'm already as calm as ever I am, so I don't have to calm down either.

But thanks for your concern

p.s. I don't know you, but from this one post, I'd say that you need to calm down.

What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 19:13 - Aug 8 with 1177 viewsCygnus

Thanks Dailew
What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 19:15 - Aug 8 with 1171 viewsDavillin

What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 19:13 - Aug 8 by Cygnus

Thanks Dailew

What? Did he down-arrow something?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024