Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
All this Plastic Nonsense 10:35 - Aug 28 with 3912 viewsjacksinceever

I know it's been an in-joke on this forum in its' various guises for several years, but honestly why people think that just because you don't attend every game or haven't watched them since the year dot makes you plastic is beyond me.
Anyone that supports the Swans, whether it's home and away every game, following them all over Europe, or just manage to take in a few games every season, is worthy of being called a supporter of Swans. We are all needed and you support the club in your heart as well as by your physical presence at matches.
Before I get lambasted I know much of it is in jest and have exchanged much banter on the subject myself.
Just please remember there is no qualifying measurement to be a Swans supporter - e.g attending the Reading match at Wembley, being at the Hull game, being at the Leeds 5-1 game, seeing us beat Spurs 3-1 in the League Cup. These are all just great markers in our history, which we can all enjoy looking back on, whether we were there or not
All this Plastic Nonsense on 14:10 - Aug 28 with 839 viewsGowerjack

All this Plastic Nonsense on 13:12 - Aug 28 by CTB184

Does it make you a "plastic" fan if you have only come across Swansea in the past few years? For example, I would not have known about Swansea and their style of attractive football if I had not seen them on TV in the Premiership. I've only been following Swansea for a couple of years yet I would say I'm a big fan of the club. I live over 2 hours away from Swansea and have only ever been to see 3 of their matches (work/time contraints have restricted me from seeing more than I'd like) which were Crystal Palace, Reading and Burnley this year.

I may not know much about Swansea's history other than what I've read on the internet and the like but I try to look at Swansea news daily to follow them. I hope I wouldn't be considered a "plastic" fan because I've only been following them a few years, rather than my entire life. I've also never lived in Swansea. There any many clubs who play great football, but I like Swansea's play and the philosophy of the club, hence why I follow them. Just to note, I love football and have played it all my life but have never actually found a club who I liked enough to support until I saw Swansea play.

Nice one

YJB !

Plastic since 1974
Poll: Is ECB for tyranny?

All this Plastic Nonsense on 14:13 - Aug 28 with 832 viewsDarran

All this Plastic Nonsense on 14:02 - Aug 28 by perchrockjack

Its important on here and that s because some want to be looked up to as super fans who do the "hard miles". Its that mentality that is stoppiing some from going to our games.
Its like Stadler and Waldorf in the Muppet Show the way people are judged.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

All this Plastic Nonsense on 14:14 - Aug 28 with 832 viewsperchrockjack

2 hours away is rather vague. You could be a Brummie but if you admire our club that's fine and dandy but my opinion is your number 1 club of choice should be your home town team.

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

All this Plastic Nonsense on 14:15 - Aug 28 with 830 views2face

All this Plastic Nonsense on 12:52 - Aug 28 by Gowerjack

I attended all the "historic" games mentioned in the OP.
Does that make me more of a fan than someone who started watching us only at the Liberty?

No of course not.

The only thing that stuck in my craw was the mass of Laudrup followers who jumped on board then started to proclaim themselves experts on the clubs history and current team....

Where are they now?

I'm still here. I read most threads on her. I just don't post here anymore.
All this Plastic Nonsense on 14:19 - Aug 28 with 823 viewsperchrockjack

You clearly been put off 2 face.NOT ME IS IT>

All this Plastic Nonsense on 14:21 - Aug 28 with 818 viewsStarsky

All this Plastic Nonsense on 14:19 - Aug 28 by perchrockjack

You clearly been put off 2 face.NOT ME IS IT>

Probably.
Although, You're the reason I post more often Richie.
[Post edited 28 Aug 2014 14:23]

It's just the internet, init.

All this Plastic Nonsense on 14:32 - Aug 28 with 806 viewsperchrockjack

lol

Its the reason why I post myself but I pisse myself off most of the time

All this Plastic Nonsense on 14:40 - Aug 28 with 800 viewsCatullus

All this Plastic Nonsense on 14:02 - Aug 28 by perchrockjack

Its important on here and that s because some want to be looked up to as super fans who do the "hard miles". Its that mentality that is stoppiing some from going to our games.
Its like Stadler and Waldorf in the Muppet Show the way people are judged.

I've done the hard miles!! Macclesfield, Rushden & Diamonds, Bashley (FA cup), Aldershot and many more. But anyone who looks at Swansea and is drawn to them, whether they live over 2 hours or 2 days away is very welcome.
I was at the game Tuesday and it was feckin brilliant to see so many kids there. can't wait for the expansion (and then hopefully sensible pricing) so we can tie these young uns into our club for good.
I've followed our club for over 40 years and I've loved it, even when I hated it!! But people can't help when they were born, or where they are from.
Talking of which CBT, where are you from? And if you need/want someone to meet up with next time you can come, PM me mate.
All new fans welcome. The only ones that aren't welcome are those who only want tickets for the big games. If you come every time you can, that's good enough for me.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Login to get fewer ads

All this Plastic Nonsense on 14:44 - Aug 28 with 793 viewsperchrockjack

CAT.
I objected to that phrase as surely to follow our team is a joy not a fooking chore.

It was more apposite in the late 60s .early 70 but for last 15 years hasn't been that hard really

All this Plastic Nonsense on 14:45 - Aug 28 with 792 viewsStarsky

Not being too controversial but it we'd be better without labels altogether.
Although the amount of real fans who claimed they've been to THAT game on a wet Tuesday night at Scunthorpe are about 12,0000 now.

All this Plastic Nonsense on 14:52 - Aug 28 with 771 viewsjacksinceever

All this Plastic Nonsense on 14:45 - Aug 28 by Starsky

Not being too controversial but it we'd be better without labels altogether.
Although the amount of real fans who claimed they've been to THAT game on a wet Tuesday night at Scunthorpe are about 12,0000 now.

I believe Preston 81 is at about 30k and rising currently ....
All this Plastic Nonsense on 14:56 - Aug 28 with 766 viewsStarsky

All this Plastic Nonsense on 14:52 - Aug 28 by jacksinceever

.. And the Hull game? Over 25,000

All this Plastic Nonsense on 14:57 - Aug 28 with 766 viewsSenhin

I'm a plastic. I wasn't into football until I went to university in Swansea, so as I've only followed Swansea for 4 full seasons and on a part term basis the one before those when I was first introduced to football, having no one in my family or old friend groups who ever paid it the slightest bit of notice.

I watch every game I can, whether that's at the Liberty or online. I'm in a good mood if a game is one, a bad one if it's lost. I spend every day of the transfer windows looking for and reading anything I can find to do with rumours involving Swansea. I don't support any other team and really don't understand those who do, but I wasn't there when we were going out of football all together so I'm a plastic.

Did you see that ludicrous display last night?

All this Plastic Nonsense on 15:02 - Aug 28 with 759 viewsCatullus

All this Plastic Nonsense on 14:44 - Aug 28 by perchrockjack

CAT.
I objected to that phrase as surely to follow our team is a joy not a fooking chore.

It was more apposite in the late 60s .early 70 but for last 15 years hasn't been that hard really

Come on Perch, sometimes it was a chore. A cold wet night driving down to Exeter, stuck in traffic for ages then to stand on on open terrace and get soaked while we got beaten!!

It isn't the best of times is it. The point is though, that plenty of us did it, and kept doing it. No matter how rubbish we were.
That season we nearly dropped out of the league, I only missed one of the last ten away games (Rochdale, I had to work) and it was a really stressful time. Like the majority back then we sang our hearts out, no matter the result, we wanted to survive.
And when we were worried about the club folding altogether, no one can enjoy that, no one.
But through all the good and the bad....and the awful, there was a core support that kept on going, kept on singing and believing. Now we are the older generation. I was 13 in 1981. Myself and my friends are all around 50 now and the club is still as important to us as ever, more important in some cases.
All football fans put up with the hard times in the hope there will be good times. To some fans the bad times are not qualifying for Champions league, to most it's relegation or knocked out of the cup early.
We are in the middle of the best of times and I'm loving every minute, but there were some very hard times to be a Jack.

Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?

All this Plastic Nonsense on 15:07 - Aug 28 with 754 viewsCTB184

All this Plastic Nonsense on 14:14 - Aug 28 by perchrockjack

2 hours away is rather vague. You could be a Brummie but if you admire our club that's fine and dandy but my opinion is your number 1 club of choice should be your home town team.

Should geographical location really come into it though? I have lived in Swindon for 18 years (I'm 22) but have never thought about supporting Swindon. I was born in Maidstone but have also lived in Sheffield and near Falkirk. Which should I class as a hometown and which one should I have supported? I don't consider myself a Swindonian by any stretch. Some of my family come from Barry/Cardiff but I would never support them!

I support the Swans because I like them :)

Poll: Which two players do currently believe are the best Centre Midfield pairing?

All this Plastic Nonsense on 15:10 - Aug 28 with 739 viewsStarsky

All this Plastic Nonsense on 15:02 - Aug 28 by Catullus

Come on Perch, sometimes it was a chore. A cold wet night driving down to Exeter, stuck in traffic for ages then to stand on on open terrace and get soaked while we got beaten!!

It isn't the best of times is it. The point is though, that plenty of us did it, and kept doing it. No matter how rubbish we were.
That season we nearly dropped out of the league, I only missed one of the last ten away games (Rochdale, I had to work) and it was a really stressful time. Like the majority back then we sang our hearts out, no matter the result, we wanted to survive.
And when we were worried about the club folding altogether, no one can enjoy that, no one.
But through all the good and the bad....and the awful, there was a core support that kept on going, kept on singing and believing. Now we are the older generation. I was 13 in 1981. Myself and my friends are all around 50 now and the club is still as important to us as ever, more important in some cases.
All football fans put up with the hard times in the hope there will be good times. To some fans the bad times are not qualifying for Champions league, to most it's relegation or knocked out of the cup early.
We are in the middle of the best of times and I'm loving every minute, but there were some very hard times to be a Jack.

I have to say Cat... I've watched them since 1970 and I always wanted to go to the games in the dark times. It wasn't a chore, I lived for it and if I had felt like i had to go instead of wanting to go then I wouldn't have gone.
My son in law, last year, quite innocently said to me and my son "why do you get so excited or upset? It's only a game"
My daughter ushered him out of the room saying "you've done it now"
One year on, we still haven't forgiven him, lol.

All this Plastic Nonsense on 15:12 - Aug 28 with 734 viewsCatullus

All this Plastic Nonsense on 15:07 - Aug 28 by CTB184

Should geographical location really come into it though? I have lived in Swindon for 18 years (I'm 22) but have never thought about supporting Swindon. I was born in Maidstone but have also lived in Sheffield and near Falkirk. Which should I class as a hometown and which one should I have supported? I don't consider myself a Swindonian by any stretch. Some of my family come from Barry/Cardiff but I would never support them!

I support the Swans because I like them :)

And that's not just a good answer, it's the right answer, to me anyway.

Like I said earlier, all welcome.

All this Plastic Nonsense on 15:19 - Aug 28 with 720 viewsSwanseajill

All this Plastic Nonsense on 14:52 - Aug 28 by jacksinceever

That's about right I reckon.

It definitely felt that way in the stands that day, starved of oxygen for over 90 minutes.
All this Plastic Nonsense on 15:42 - Aug 28 with 679 viewsslate_dk

All this Plastic Nonsense on 12:52 - Aug 28 by Gowerjack

I attended all the "historic" games mentioned in the OP.
Does that make me more of a fan than someone who started watching us only at the Liberty?

No of course not.

The only thing that stuck in my craw was the mass of Laudrup followers who jumped on board then started to proclaim themselves experts on the clubs history and current team....

Where are they now?

Right here... well actually I signed up after the Man City game; the fact that Laudrup later took over was just the cherry on the pie.
All this Plastic Nonsense on 17:57 - Aug 29 with 583 viewsOldjack

no more to be said

Prosser the Tosser dwells on Phil's bum hole like a rusty old hemorrhoid ,fact You Greedy Bastards Get Out Of OUR Club!

All this Plastic Nonsense on 18:12 - Aug 29 with 577 viewsmarchamjack

I was at all those 4 games mentioned.

But wasn't at Rotherham on Tuesday and had no intention of going once we drew them in fact.

Some on twitter had a go about being plastic and 'true' fans go to see the Swans, regardless of the opposition, like it's a badge of honour to endure a match which involves a team who are likely going to be pretty poor and reduce the standard of football I'm now used to and so reduce my level of enjoyment and entertainment watching the Swans (and before anyone says that's harsh about Rotherham, we used to be like them for the majority of my time following us). What a naive and simplistic view of the world some people really have.

Hoping West Brom can meet my expected standards or I'm going to have to pick and choose more games

Oh,..Dave, what's occuring?

All this Plastic Nonsense on 18:20 - Aug 29 with 570 viewsshingle

I`m a plastic by all accounts because i leave with five minutes left by doing this knocks over half an hour off my drive home saying that i probably have more points and attend more away game`s than the muppets who go on about plastics.
All this Plastic Nonsense on 18:29 - Aug 29 with 566 viewsPrivate_Partz

All this Plastic Nonsense on 18:20 - Aug 29 by shingle

I`m a plastic by all accounts because i leave with five minutes left by doing this knocks over half an hour off my drive home saying that i probably have more points and attend more away game`s than the muppets who go on about plastics.

There is not a definition to cover so called 'plastics'. It seems to relate to new supporters and those that don't go to every match or who also support another team whilst attending matches at the same time.
Hard core fans keep the club going through thick and thin but 'plastics' are the ones who will create a platform for us to move on to greater things.
I therefore don't think we should criticise them although perhaps we can allow ourselves a moment of smugness at times as we were there first ;-)

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

All this Plastic Nonsense on 18:41 - Aug 29 with 559 viewsshingle

All this Plastic Nonsense on 18:29 - Aug 29 by Private_Partz

There is not a definition to cover so called 'plastics'. It seems to relate to new supporters and those that don't go to every match or who also support another team whilst attending matches at the same time.
Hard core fans keep the club going through thick and thin but 'plastics' are the ones who will create a platform for us to move on to greater things.
I therefore don't think we should criticise them although perhaps we can allow ourselves a moment of smugness at times as we were there first ;-)

You must have seen the comments by the drama Queens on here calling fan`s plastics for leaving a little early, i agree with those who attend just to watch other teams tho, that`s really annoying, but as long as there paying there money to the club why all the fuss.
All this Plastic Nonsense on 18:42 - Aug 29 with 558 viewsJackfath

I like people who label themselves as plastics when they're not sure if they are or not.

Who cares?

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024