Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
shelveys passing 10:44 - Sep 29 with 2352 viewsfootball2301

made 55 passes v sunderland with 98% success rate fairly impressive
shelveys passing on 10:49 - Sep 29 with 1851 viewsicecoldjack

Has started to really knuckle down last few games . Well done jonjo!

Haven't missed britton as much as I thought we would which is great news for the squad in terms of competition for places.
shelveys passing on 11:01 - Sep 29 with 1820 viewsLord_Bony

When I read this title I thought he had kicked the bucket for a moment,my heart stopped..

Feck

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

shelveys passing on 11:33 - Sep 29 with 1767 viewsA_Fans_Dad

" fairly impressive " bit of an understatement, I would say Very impressive.
shelveys passing on 11:54 - Sep 29 with 1728 viewsTheFranchise

that's going to upset a few
shelveys passing on 12:07 - Sep 29 with 1696 viewsApeShit

Alot of his passes are long range to, not just 10 yards sideways.
shelveys passing on 12:20 - Sep 29 with 1682 viewsScoobyWho

Far more valuable than Leon at the moment.
Don't shoot me, its how I see it.
[Post edited 29 Sep 2014 12:20]

DGT Bullshit Connoisseur.
Poll: Election 2015 Thread : Who will you vote for ?

shelveys passing on 14:06 - Sep 29 with 1552 viewsChief

shelveys passing on 12:20 - Sep 29 by ScoobyWho

Far more valuable than Leon at the moment.
Don't shoot me, its how I see it.
[Post edited 29 Sep 2014 12:20]

with shelve having a run of games at this level and settling, seeing him play alongside a fit Leon is the dream. Ki is also playing well though.

Poll: Rate the ref's performance today

shelveys passing on 14:51 - Sep 29 with 1479 viewsfootball2301

shelveys passing on 14:06 - Sep 29 by Chief

with shelve having a run of games at this level and settling, seeing him play alongside a fit Leon is the dream. Ki is also playing well though.

i agree because although he's developing nicely into the dm role i think he has more to offer a bit further forward but if you watch it looks like he's reluctant to go to far forward maybe this due to not confident that ki will sit when he goes but leon definitely would
Login to get fewer ads

shelveys passing on 16:31 - Sep 29 with 1363 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

Excellent. Let's hope this is not a one off.

Poll: Should MP for Swansea East Carolyn Harris resign?

shelveys passing on 16:52 - Sep 29 with 1332 viewsLeonisGod

shelveys passing on 16:31 - Sep 29 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

Excellent. Let's hope this is not a one off.

It's not, but he is inconsistent. His pass completion %ages in league games this season:

83 - W
78 - W
95 - W
84 - L
63 - L
98 - D

Statos can fill their heads here : http://www.whoscored.com/Players/40027/Fixtures/Jonjo-Shelvey
(Angel comes out really well in the stats, despite all the grief he gets on here).
shelveys passing on 17:23 - Sep 29 with 1300 viewsRancid

What game was it that we said Ki and JJS would never work and we couldn't wait for Leon to return? Villareal maybe? Personally I'd like to see them both play every game if fit and Leon slotting in.
shelveys passing on 19:47 - Sep 29 with 1170 viewsfootball2301

shelveys passing on 17:23 - Sep 29 by Rancid

What game was it that we said Ki and JJS would never work and we couldn't wait for Leon to return? Villareal maybe? Personally I'd like to see them both play every game if fit and Leon slotting in.

reason it didn't work v villereal was because we played 2 in the middle v their 3 and all they ended up doing was chasing after their 3 as we tried bony and gomis together which does not work if we are to play the swansea way then it has to be a middle 3 and 2 wide 1 up top we are not equipped to play 442
shelveys passing on 20:58 - Sep 29 with 1113 viewsDavillin

You know I love and respect statistics, so help me here.

How many of those 55 passes were either (1) back to the keeper, (2) back to one of the four backs, or (3) 5 or 10 yards or so sideways to the nearest midfielder, who was in no better position to advance the ball, but did so anyway?

Thanks.

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

shelveys passing on 21:14 - Sep 29 with 1086 viewsfootball2301

shelveys passing on 20:58 - Sep 29 by Davillin

How many of those 55 passes were either (1) back to the keeper, (2) back to one of the four backs, or (3) 5 or 10 yards or so sideways to the nearest midfielder, who was in no better position to advance the ball, but did so anyway?

Thanks.

it does not matter its the swansea way he kept possession a better question would be how many times was he under pressure but i counted a few long range passes to our wide men who continually gave the ball away
shelveys passing on 21:16 - Sep 29 with 1082 viewsSwansNZ

Thanks.

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/sg/statszone/8-2014/matches/755361/player-stats/50232

Sorry Dav, but most were not just passing the ball back. 9 passes to Routs, was the player he passed to most.

Poll: Should the official match day thread include pictures?

shelveys passing on 21:45 - Sep 29 with 1040 viewsDavillin

shelveys passing on 21:16 - Sep 29 by SwansNZ

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/sg/statszone/8-2014/matches/755361/player-stats/50232

Sorry Dav, but most were not just passing the ball back. 9 passes to Routs, was the player he passed to most.

Not being at all disputatious here, SwansNZ, but I didn't ask about "most" of anything, just a number of how many passes to the keeper, to the back four, and to another midfielder who was in no better position to make a play but did so.

I could then wave my statistical wizardry-wand, add up the three numbers, and subtract them from 55 to get the raw number of meaningful passes made, then get a new percentage of completions, to re-calculate the percentage given in the post to arrive at the total passes to get the raw number of passes completed, then subtract that from 55, to get the number of meaningful passes completed, subtract that from the non-itemized passes backward, and calculate the number of successful passes not including the baby passes backward.

That sounds far more complicated than it is. But I need those three numbers first.

And I have a headache from looking at that rat's nest of blue arrows. That's not "statistics" -- it's more like a painting of a nightmare by a hallucinating Picasso-imitator -- and a bad one at that.

But thanks [genuine] for the effort [genuine].

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

shelveys passing on 11:06 - Sep 30 with 922 viewsJethroJack

shelveys passing on 16:52 - Sep 29 by LeonisGod

It's not, but he is inconsistent. His pass completion %ages in league games this season:

83 - W
78 - W
95 - W
84 - L
63 - L
98 - D

Statos can fill their heads here : http://www.whoscored.com/Players/40027/Fixtures/Jonjo-Shelvey
(Angel comes out really well in the stats, despite all the grief he gets on here).

You can stick another W on your list if you include the Everton COC game. Jonjo bossed that game too. He better be careful, as he's in serious danger of getting a phone call from Woy.
shelveys passing on 11:13 - Sep 30 with 907 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Thanks.

Well someone has to do all those things when Leon isn't there to do them himself.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

shelveys passing on 11:52 - Sep 30 with 882 viewsJackSomething

shelveys passing on 21:45 - Sep 29 by Davillin

Not being at all disputatious here, SwansNZ, but I didn't ask about "most" of anything, just a number of how many passes to the keeper, to the back four, and to another midfielder who was in no better position to make a play but did so.

I could then wave my statistical wizardry-wand, add up the three numbers, and subtract them from 55 to get the raw number of meaningful passes made, then get a new percentage of completions, to re-calculate the percentage given in the post to arrive at the total passes to get the raw number of passes completed, then subtract that from 55, to get the number of meaningful passes completed, subtract that from the non-itemized passes backward, and calculate the number of successful passes not including the baby passes backward.

That sounds far more complicated than it is. But I need those three numbers first.

And I have a headache from looking at that rat's nest of blue arrows. That's not "statistics" -- it's more like a painting of a nightmare by a hallucinating Picasso-imitator -- and a bad one at that.

But thanks [genuine] for the effort [genuine].

Translation: I love statistics, except when they prove something I don't agree with, like Shelvey being a very good player.

Still unwilling to admit the goal against Villa was pure brilliance? Your blind spot when it comes to Shelvey hasn't improved I see. Shame.

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

shelveys passing on 12:42 - Sep 30 with 823 viewsicecoldjack

Jonjo is doing fine. The boy is 21/22 and has played just over a full season and a bit of top flight football where he plays every week against some of the worlds best in one of the most physically demanding leagues in world football, he will get his consistency levels up to scratch in time if he keeps progressing.

He has improved his short passing game since coming here and he is one of few players that can do a job in centre,defensive or attacking midfield.

We ask him to do different things and as far as I can see he is learning and coping well,chipping in with goals along the way.

For 6m quid in today's market you would be hard pushed to find a better young player or indeed a better home grown player.

If we remember he is work in progress with bags of ability then I think he will ne a smashing player.

He is still a bit up and down but we can say the same about more seasoned professionals at the club as well.

His game against Sunderland was a controlled performance where we started to see a bit of over due maturity from jonjo.

He used the ball well and apart from the odd stray pass the boy done great.

I can't think of many young players that can run,tackle with bite,long pass ,short pass and score the odd goal.

He is doing fine IMO
shelveys passing on 12:50 - Sep 30 with 813 viewsfootball2301

shelveys passing on 11:52 - Sep 30 by JackSomething

Translation: I love statistics, except when they prove something I don't agree with, like Shelvey being a very good player.

Still unwilling to admit the goal against Villa was pure brilliance? Your blind spot when it comes to Shelvey hasn't improved I see. Shame.

not admitting that his goal v villa was not brilliance confirms you either don't know first thing about football or your a complete fool
shelveys passing on 12:58 - Sep 30 with 796 viewsdameedna

Looking at Shelvey, he made a number of interceptions in the way Leon does it by anticipating play
He made a good interception of Cattermole's pass
He also made a number of 50/50 challenges
There are a few moments where he appears to be moving back slowly
Overall his positioning and distribution are good
On passing and linking to Gomis, he got a pearler through the middle again this time from Gomis, as he did from Bony in the Chelsea game
Is playing he box to box role when needed and this makes his role different to Leon
shelveys passing on 13:31 - Sep 30 with 770 viewsMusical_Swan

shelveys passing on 12:42 - Sep 30 by icecoldjack

Jonjo is doing fine. The boy is 21/22 and has played just over a full season and a bit of top flight football where he plays every week against some of the worlds best in one of the most physically demanding leagues in world football, he will get his consistency levels up to scratch in time if he keeps progressing.

He has improved his short passing game since coming here and he is one of few players that can do a job in centre,defensive or attacking midfield.

We ask him to do different things and as far as I can see he is learning and coping well,chipping in with goals along the way.

For 6m quid in today's market you would be hard pushed to find a better young player or indeed a better home grown player.

If we remember he is work in progress with bags of ability then I think he will ne a smashing player.

He is still a bit up and down but we can say the same about more seasoned professionals at the club as well.

His game against Sunderland was a controlled performance where we started to see a bit of over due maturity from jonjo.

He used the ball well and apart from the odd stray pass the boy done great.

I can't think of many young players that can run,tackle with bite,long pass ,short pass and score the odd goal.

He is doing fine IMO

Excellent post.

I think what a lot of people miss with Shelvey is the variety of his passing.

Leon has proved how good you can be at this level by just keeping it simple but moving the ball quickly. Jonjo has worked hard on improving this side of his game and is now showing more consistency.

I believe this will be crucial in his development, as knowing you have the 'easy ball' as an option will allow him to pick when to play those 'killer balls,' we all know he's capable of, more effectively.

It's having this ability that makes it hard for the other team to organise themselves defensively, as they can't be sure whether to push tight and close him down to try and force an error, thus allowing themselves to be bypassed by swift, short balls, or stand off and hope he doesn't 'pick a pass'.

I genuinely believe that he and our club are made for each other, and hope he says and developes with us.
[Post edited 30 Sep 2014 13:34]

Huw Jenkins... Nuff said!
Poll: On the whole, are the board doing a good job with our club?

shelveys passing on 13:38 - Sep 30 with 756 viewsJackSomething

shelveys passing on 12:50 - Sep 30 by football2301

not admitting that his goal v villa was not brilliance confirms you either don't know first thing about football or your a complete fool

I agree with you, it's Dav you have to convince. Nothing Shelvey has ever done is worthy of praise according to him.

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

shelveys passing on 13:42 - Sep 30 with 749 viewsicecoldjack

shelveys passing on 13:31 - Sep 30 by Musical_Swan

Excellent post.

I think what a lot of people miss with Shelvey is the variety of his passing.

Leon has proved how good you can be at this level by just keeping it simple but moving the ball quickly. Jonjo has worked hard on improving this side of his game and is now showing more consistency.

I believe this will be crucial in his development, as knowing you have the 'easy ball' as an option will allow him to pick when to play those 'killer balls,' we all know he's capable of, more effectively.

It's having this ability that makes it hard for the other team to organise themselves defensively, as they can't be sure whether to push tight and close him down to try and force an error, thus allowing themselves to be bypassed by swift, short balls, or stand off and hope he doesn't 'pick a pass'.

I genuinely believe that he and our club are made for each other, and hope he says and developes with us.
[Post edited 30 Sep 2014 13:34]

Yeah i totally agree.

Off the top of my head i can't think of many have the ability to mix things up in the same way, leon is an expert on the short game but Jonjo has the ability to have the full range of skills given time.

Not too shabby for £6m quid and i was one of those who groaned when we signed him, im happy to be proven wrong, hope he continues to do well for us.

Has the potential to be a big star for us .
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024