Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Would you say this was racist? 18:00 - Oct 6 with 40743 viewsJackoBoostardo

Not too sure about it being racist myself. People can't call Jews, Jews now?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29263340

No worse calling us all 'sheepshaggers' surely?!

And we're Swaaaaanseeeea Ciiiityyyy! Swaaaansseeeaaa Ciiiityyy F C! We're not necessarily the greatest team in football, the world has ever seen (but we're possibly the most honest and resilient). - On behalf of The Campaign For Realistic Crowd Chanting
Poll: How could Van Persie survive such an horrific attack were it to happen again?

Would you say this was racist? on 18:03 - Oct 6 with 22419 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

Yes.

Considering a number of men in that picture are performing what look like Nazi salutes suggest the motivation behind the banner was as a racist tool.

Poll: Should MP for Swansea East Carolyn Harris resign?

Would you say this was racist? on 18:06 - Oct 6 with 22416 viewsC_jack

The accompaniment of the word 'pussy' suggests strongly that it was meant in a derogatory manner.

Poll: Who did you vote for today, in the general election?

Would you say this was racist? on 18:07 - Oct 6 with 22408 viewsBrynmill_Jack

F*ck me are you seriously asking this question?

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Would you say this was racist? on 18:11 - Oct 6 with 22395 viewsJackoBoostardo

Would you say this was racist? on 18:03 - Oct 6 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

Yes.

Considering a number of men in that picture are performing what look like Nazi salutes suggest the motivation behind the banner was as a racist tool.

The punishment was the result of the sign.

As already mentioned - isn't it more an insult or derogatory, rather than 'racist'?

And we're Swaaaaanseeeea Ciiiityyyy! Swaaaansseeeaaa Ciiiityyy F C! We're not necessarily the greatest team in football, the world has ever seen (but we're possibly the most honest and resilient). - On behalf of The Campaign For Realistic Crowd Chanting
Poll: How could Van Persie survive such an horrific attack were it to happen again?

Would you say this was racist? on 18:11 - Oct 6 with 22391 viewsDarran

Would you say this was racist? on 18:07 - Oct 6 by Brynmill_Jack

F*ck me are you seriously asking this question?

I agree Brynnie it's f*cking stinking and if I was still a mod it would be gone by now

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Would you say this was racist? on 18:14 - Oct 6 with 22377 viewsC_jack

Would you say this was racist? on 18:11 - Oct 6 by Darran

I agree Brynnie it's f*cking stinking and if I was still a mod it would be gone by now

Hopefully it'll disappear once the answer becomes apparent.

Would you say this was racist? on 18:17 - Oct 6 with 22355 viewslondonlisa2001

Would you say this was racist? on 18:11 - Oct 6 by JackoBoostardo

The punishment was the result of the sign.

As already mentioned - isn't it more an insult or derogatory, rather than 'racist'?

do you not think that a sign, for example, which is derogatory and/or insulting based purely on someone's race or ethnicity is actually exactly what racist means??? What on earth do you think racism is if not what you've just defined?
Would you say this was racist? on 18:21 - Oct 6 with 22327 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Would you say this was racist? on 18:17 - Oct 6 by londonlisa2001

do you not think that a sign, for example, which is derogatory and/or insulting based purely on someone's race or ethnicity is actually exactly what racist means??? What on earth do you think racism is if not what you've just defined?

He is a religion hater Lisa, probably going to argue the case that the Jews aren't a race. Which is strictly true but hatred is hatred. Imagine having a banner like that with anti Islamic sentiments when Al Arabi come over for a friendly or playing a Turkish side in the CL. There would be uproar!

Login to get fewer ads

Would you say this was racist? on 18:24 - Oct 6 with 22311 viewsJackfath

Would you say this was racist? on 18:21 - Oct 6 by Brynmill_Jack

He is a religion hater Lisa, probably going to argue the case that the Jews aren't a race. Which is strictly true but hatred is hatred. Imagine having a banner like that with anti Islamic sentiments when Al Arabi come over for a friendly or playing a Turkish side in the CL. There would be uproar!

Why on earth would a set of football fans want to take that into a football match?

Disgraceful.

The OP should have a spell on the sidelines for posting it on here.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Would you say this was racist? on 18:24 - Oct 6 with 22316 viewslondonlisa2001

Would you say this was racist? on 18:21 - Oct 6 by Brynmill_Jack

Being Jewish is of course both a race and a religion, hence it is perfectly possible for somebody to be a non religious Jew. (I know you know that and I'm not entirely certain why I'm trying to point it out to someone that asked that question in the first place but ho hum). I sometimes think I'm living (or some of us are living) in an entirely different world to others.
Would you say this was racist? on 18:27 - Oct 6 with 22299 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Would you say this was racist? on 18:24 - Oct 6 by londonlisa2001

Being Jewish is of course both a race and a religion, hence it is perfectly possible for somebody to be a non religious Jew. (I know you know that and I'm not entirely certain why I'm trying to point it out to someone that asked that question in the first place but ho hum). I sometimes think I'm living (or some of us are living) in an entirely different world to others.

You live and have lived in London for years Lis so you know the score. I swear some on here haven't crossed the bridge yet ...........

Would you say this was racist? on 18:33 - Oct 6 with 22271 viewsperchrockjack

Considering Serbian history no real surprise. Nasty vicious bastards

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Would you say this was racist? on 18:34 - Oct 6 with 22269 viewslondonlisa2001

Would you say this was racist? on 18:27 - Oct 6 by Brynmill_Jack

You live and have lived in London for years Lis so you know the score. I swear some on here haven't crossed the bridge yet ...........

let's hope that they don't then since they'll just make people think that the Welsh are still living in 1972.
Would you say this was racist? on 18:36 - Oct 6 with 22254 viewscontroversial_jack

Would you say this was racist? on 18:24 - Oct 6 by londonlisa2001

It's not a race it is just a religion
Would you say this was racist? on 18:36 - Oct 6 with 22252 viewsDewi1jack

Would you say this was racist? on 18:27 - Oct 6 by Brynmill_Jack

Not only have they not crossed the bridge Bryn, they're still at the bottom of the pond trying to get on the evolutionary scale.

If you wake up breathing, thats a good start to your day and you'll make many thousands of people envious.

Would you say this was racist? on 18:43 - Oct 6 with 22229 viewsJackoBoostardo

Wow.... so may self-righteous people here tonight! Sensitive dabs.

Going back to the question, and the point in question - what here is different to what we see against US as a club?!

So get off your high horses - it's a valid question! We've seen signs calling us "Sheepshaggers" and "welsh c*nts".

And no, this thread isn't condoning anything - it's to get a debate going! Too many people seem lively enough to jump in to think the worst all the time of people.

Source of the photo? Dailymail.

Would you say this was racist? on 18:44 - Oct 6 with 22218 viewsJackfath

Would you say this was racist? on 18:43 - Oct 6 by JackoBoostardo

Wow.... so may self-righteous people here tonight! Sensitive dabs.

Going back to the question, and the point in question - what here is different to what we see against US as a club?!

So get off your high horses - it's a valid question! We've seen signs calling us "Sheepshaggers" and "welsh c*nts".

And no, this thread isn't condoning anything - it's to get a debate going! Too many people seem lively enough to jump in to think the worst all the time of people.

Source of the photo? Dailymail.

I have not seen a sign saying anything you've mentioned. Ever.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.

Would you say this was racist? on 18:48 - Oct 6 with 22203 viewsJackoBoostardo

Would you say this was racist? on 18:17 - Oct 6 by londonlisa2001

Which is one of my points Lisa.

Racism isn't often seen down our stadium - which is a good thing. But we tend to accept we're being called " Welsh Sheepshaggers" even though, and as you say, it's derogatory.

Haven't seen any other clubs get penalised like this though for being racially derogatory towards us.

Would you say this was racist? on 18:50 - Oct 6 with 22188 viewsJackfath

Would you say this was racist? on 18:48 - Oct 6 by JackoBoostardo

Which is one of my points Lisa.

Racism isn't often seen down our stadium - which is a good thing. But we tend to accept we're being called " Welsh Sheepshaggers" even though, and as you say, it's derogatory.

Haven't seen any other clubs get penalised like this though for being racially derogatory towards us.

Have you reported your concerns to the race relations board?

I always was led to believe any derogatory comments against us were classed as banter. Much as the Ultras often tell us all that England is full of shit.

Would you say this was racist? on 18:50 - Oct 6 with 22192 viewsJackoBoostardo

Would you say this was racist? on 18:44 - Oct 6 by Jackfath

I have not seen a sign saying anything you've mentioned. Ever.

Seen a couple myself - just not made a big deal of it. However, thought I'd raise the question here as I saw this story....Semi-expecting a more mature discussion of it maybe?

Clearly not.
[Post edited 6 Oct 2014 18:58]

Would you say this was racist? on 18:52 - Oct 6 with 22179 viewsC_jack

The difference is (well 99% of us), don't actually shag sheep.

Showing hatred for a religion is slightly different than mocking a stereotype.

Would you say this was racist? on 19:00 - Oct 6 with 22138 viewsJackoBoostardo

Would you say this was racist? on 18:52 - Oct 6 by C_jack

How can you determine, from this sign, that there is "hatred"?

Had to be there I suppose. Anyway - the discussion is lost of most here. 'Let's all jump down someone's throat before understanding the point' brigade are in full effect tonight.

Would you say this was racist? on 19:01 - Oct 6 with 22136 viewsDarran

Would you say this was racist? on 18:52 - Oct 6 by C_jack

Oldjacks in that 1%.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Would you say this was racist? on 19:02 - Oct 6 with 22128 viewsScoobyWho

Would you say this was racist? on 18:11 - Oct 6 by Darran

I am a great believer in serious debate regards peoples opinions on these matters. The catalyst is the picture, if its managed appropriately as an adult topic for discussion it should stay.

DGT Bullshit Connoisseur.
Poll: Election 2015 Thread : Who will you vote for ?

Would you say this was racist? on 19:04 - Oct 6 with 22118 viewsJackoBoostardo

Would you say this was racist? on 19:02 - Oct 6 by ScoobyWho

I am a great believer in serious debate regards peoples opinions on these matters. The catalyst is the picture, if its managed appropriately as an adult topic for discussion it should stay.

Well that was the aim. The intention of the photo was to show people what we're talking about - as clearly the link doesn't show it and not everyone will know what it said.

We can't erase something that's already happened.

The source of the image was the Daily Mail by the way.
[Post edited 6 Oct 2014 19:06]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024