Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Very odd reading the board 08:22 - Oct 21 with 7429 viewsParlay

This is the most positive I've felt, probably ever, as a Swans fan.

Our team is great, the best we have ever had id say. We have a young and hungry manager who knows and understands what we are all about, top half of the Premier League and playing really well (if not getting the rewards as of late). Yet the forum once again is doom and gloom, i honestly cant put my finger on why.

Ive always maintained that the feeling on a forum never represents the true feeling of the masses and I hope this is the case once again as its shocking to read at times. The amount of eye rolls and disbelieving sighs I've done in the last 30 mins reading this beggars belief.

I for one am loving things at the moment, a very refreshing change from the one dimensional, heartless, lack lustre performances of the last 12 months of the Laudrup era.

Forum celebrity
Poll: Is £45 a match ticket too high?

Very odd reading the board on 10:18 - Oct 21 with 927 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Very odd reading the board on 10:09 - Oct 21 by Parlay

So you are worrying about Swansea being 8th in the Prem and I'm being happy Swansea are 8th in the Prem... And you don't see the issue there?

You are afraid of things that have been happening to every club, every season, since time began. To me that sounds like distinct lack of footballing experience or nouse. But there you go. Have we ever had a season in the Premier League where we haven't won every game? Aye thought so.

I'm sorry my dear fellow fan that first paragraph makes f*ck all sense to me.
And my "lack of footballing nous" clearly has shown up by accurately pinpointing the areas we are desperately lacking , which, in turn has seen us slowly float down from second to 8th.

I'll get back to you if we arrest this "wobble" and move up the table, or even if we stabilize and win some/ draw some /lose some and stay in 8th. I will humbly apologise for my overreaction and gladly admit I was wrong .

I hope it doesn't come to it that you'll be seeking me out to do the same if the unthinkable happens and we get sucked into the lower reaches of the PL table, nervously looking over our shoulders.

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Very odd reading the board on 10:22 - Oct 21 with 918 viewsScoobyWho

Very odd reading the board on 08:39 - Oct 21 by midswan

I have to say I agree with this and it was a real shock to see such a post amongst the normal doom and gloom. surely its the best time to be a Swans fan ?
Whats the alternative? Boring footy or lower league? We have the eyes and ears of the world on us and are even regulary lauded as a 'model club'.....plenty would swap with us !

I think most on here ( apart from the obvious three or so which should be ignored because they are self serving knobs ) are looking for individual player improvement and a bit of worth for the money they are paid. Up front that is evident, JJS back Saturday, we missed him.

I agree this is a fantastic time, but we are underachieving as a team at the moment, we all know they are much better than current form.

DGT Bullshit Connoisseur.
Poll: Election 2015 Thread : Who will you vote for ?

Very odd reading the board on 10:22 - Oct 21 with 918 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Very odd reading the board on 09:35 - Oct 21 by SwansNZ

Great time to be a Swans fan.
The problem with this forum is, I think a lot of the posters are not real Swans fans.

I respectfully refer you to my post to JS earlier in this thread. You can't just assume that because people are unhappy with performances that they only turned up when the club got into the PL at the merest hint of the scent of a prawn sandwich . That's very insulting.

Very odd reading the board on 10:27 - Oct 21 with 897 viewsParlay

Very odd reading the board on 10:18 - Oct 21 by Brynmill_Jack

I'm sorry my dear fellow fan that first paragraph makes f*ck all sense to me.
And my "lack of footballing nous" clearly has shown up by accurately pinpointing the areas we are desperately lacking , which, in turn has seen us slowly float down from second to 8th.

I'll get back to you if we arrest this "wobble" and move up the table, or even if we stabilize and win some/ draw some /lose some and stay in 8th. I will humbly apologise for my overreaction and gladly admit I was wrong .

I hope it doesn't come to it that you'll be seeking me out to do the same if the unthinkable happens and we get sucked into the lower reaches of the PL table, nervously looking over our shoulders.

You don't have to be Brian Clough to pinpoint where we are lacking. Every team barring a handful world wide are also "lacking". You seem to think what you have "pin pointed" is not noticed by anyone. Im sure Accrington Stanley realise they are lacking in all areas, however noticing it and sorting it are vastly different things especially when you have had a grand total of ONE transfer window to overhaul a squad.

You have mentioned "momentum" and pinpointed that as an issue. Where surely you realise momentum is not a permanent thing, do you honestly believe we are never going to win ever again? Im flummoxed by people apparent lack of awareness. We have a cracking side and are playing very well indeed. Its not easy to win in the Premier League, ask Man United.

We are a very humble side, with a moderate budget and are smashing above our weight. We are not going to win every game and games away to Stoke are not going to ever be a guaranteed 3 pointer... Probably ever. It seems people have lost all sense of perspective, all sense of awareness, all sense of understanding and have generally become... Spoiled brats for want of a better term.

Forum celebrity

Very odd reading the board on 10:30 - Oct 21 with 883 views_

Once again the poster from Liverpool is only interested in attacking and going on a crusade against the posters he doesn't like and after getting a warning not to.

It's very difficult to read these digs and innuendos especially when the hypocrisy levels are going through the roof.

The hard miles have been done by the likes of myself and Brynmill and he was obviously lucky enough to get a ticket for the 5-4 Torquay game...and those around in those days would know exactly how difficult it was to get one. Those not around and they are the ones posting from 250 miles away will have no clue... I repeat, no clue.

I can vouch for my credentials as a true Swans fan going to home and away games for nigh on 35 years, how many even in this thread can truly look themselves in the mirror and say that? It's easy to lie and bull shit on an internet site but you'll only be lying to yourselves. Brynmill can do just that and has every right to come on here and offer an opinion, as does everyone. He, however has earned the right and respect to deliver it. Notable posters simply haven't and should be disregarded.

This is no witch hunt Parlay, this is our club remember, the club we fought for and will follow no matter who is in charge or what league we're in. Long after afore mentioned posters will be back doing whatever they did on Saturdays before the Liberty Stadium opened.

To not agree with our manager calling someone a cheat does not questionour ever lasting and loyal support, not one iota. To question transfers and formations and a worrying lack of energy and bite as games unfold is natural and should be encouraged. The true fans on here have the Swans in the blood. When it comes down to it they're the only thing that matters to give us that constant in our lives.

Be very aware of the enemy within but know who they are first. Hypocrisy will shine through.

You're all out of time....the past was yours but the future's mine.
Poll: With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans

Very odd reading the board on 10:31 - Oct 21 with 879 viewsicecoldjack

Very odd reading the board on 09:24 - Oct 21 by Parlay

Well without being provocative, you are correct on that premise at least. Not everyone is going to be happy at any given time no matter how good things are, thats human nature as people have different views. But it does see, like a few are trying to save face from an early stall they set out.
[Post edited 21 Oct 2014 9:25]

Im not sure about this really. I see no problem with objective and constructive comments win,lose or draw .

Why enter to debate on a forum if the only line trotted out is how amazing everything is?

For sure we as fans of this club are in dream world but being too comfortable in our surroundings isnt perfect either imo .

I talk about the positive performances when we do well and i talk about about the down side of performances when we dont play well, all in equal measure!

To want anybody to fail at SCFC is imo just not in the script but debating tactics,formations,performances and results is the lifeblood of any internet footy forum.

The club is on an amazing journey and i agree that sometimes we can forget just how far we have come, but we are here on merit and paying the multi millions the same as other teams to maintain it, our squad is as expensively assembled as many others therefore we can expect to be competitive against half the other teams in this league.

I dont think anybody is overlly harsh on our team myself and i do think constructive debate is vital for our fans and indeed our club.

Its what sites like planet swans are all about, put the debate,bitching and moaning on here and the passion and 100% loyalty and support to the team on the pitch where they need it most.

Debate is good positive and negative, just how much is enough is up to the induvidual,nobody needs to agree,they are just opinions.

My view is that the debate on here lately has been mostly constructive and indeed in some aspects insightful.

Just my take.
Very odd reading the board on 10:34 - Oct 21 with 873 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Very odd reading the board on 10:27 - Oct 21 by Parlay

You don't have to be Brian Clough to pinpoint where we are lacking. Every team barring a handful world wide are also "lacking". You seem to think what you have "pin pointed" is not noticed by anyone. Im sure Accrington Stanley realise they are lacking in all areas, however noticing it and sorting it are vastly different things especially when you have had a grand total of ONE transfer window to overhaul a squad.

You have mentioned "momentum" and pinpointed that as an issue. Where surely you realise momentum is not a permanent thing, do you honestly believe we are never going to win ever again? Im flummoxed by people apparent lack of awareness. We have a cracking side and are playing very well indeed. Its not easy to win in the Premier League, ask Man United.

We are a very humble side, with a moderate budget and are smashing above our weight. We are not going to win every game and games away to Stoke are not going to ever be a guaranteed 3 pointer... Probably ever. It seems people have lost all sense of perspective, all sense of awareness, all sense of understanding and have generally become... Spoiled brats for want of a better term.

We're too feckin humble ! We are better than our results bear witness to. But to say we're playing "very well indeed" just loses you all credibility. We are not.
You need some football nous, me old china, or at the very least some lessons..........

Very odd reading the board on 10:35 - Oct 21 with 870 viewsmonmouth

Very odd reading the board on 10:22 - Oct 21 by ScoobyWho

I think most on here ( apart from the obvious three or so which should be ignored because they are self serving knobs ) are looking for individual player improvement and a bit of worth for the money they are paid. Up front that is evident, JJS back Saturday, we missed him.

I agree this is a fantastic time, but we are underachieving as a team at the moment, we all know they are much better than current form.

Do we? Not sure about that mate. We CAN play better, but if we played to top form every game we would be champions league contenders. We are not....and because we are inconsistent. These first 8 games overall have shown an overachievement (we would have been fourth had we beaten 'a team like stoke' - away) and anyone that doesn't think that we will intersperse splashes of brilliance amongst patches of dirge is living in cloud cuckoo land. We will have some great results, some terrible results and some run of the mill results and I reckon, wash up around 9-12 with a potential high of 7 with a spectacular following wind (which we aren't getting recently). An adverse wind might take us down to 14-15, but I think no lower.

So yes, some of the hysteria for us not 'meeting our potential' is, in my view at least, simply based on wholly unrealistic 'ambitions' that take no account of the environment we are in.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Login to get fewer ads

Very odd reading the board on 10:35 - Oct 21 with 869 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Very odd reading the board on 10:31 - Oct 21 by icecoldjack

Im not sure about this really. I see no problem with objective and constructive comments win,lose or draw .

Why enter to debate on a forum if the only line trotted out is how amazing everything is?

For sure we as fans of this club are in dream world but being too comfortable in our surroundings isnt perfect either imo .

I talk about the positive performances when we do well and i talk about about the down side of performances when we dont play well, all in equal measure!

To want anybody to fail at SCFC is imo just not in the script but debating tactics,formations,performances and results is the lifeblood of any internet footy forum.

The club is on an amazing journey and i agree that sometimes we can forget just how far we have come, but we are here on merit and paying the multi millions the same as other teams to maintain it, our squad is as expensively assembled as many others therefore we can expect to be competitive against half the other teams in this league.

I dont think anybody is overlly harsh on our team myself and i do think constructive debate is vital for our fans and indeed our club.

Its what sites like planet swans are all about, put the debate,bitching and moaning on here and the passion and 100% loyalty and support to the team on the pitch where they need it most.

Debate is good positive and negative, just how much is enough is up to the induvidual,nobody needs to agree,they are just opinions.

My view is that the debate on here lately has been mostly constructive and indeed in some aspects insightful.

Just my take.

Soccer!

Very odd reading the board on 10:36 - Oct 21 with 861 viewsParlay

Very odd reading the board on 10:30 - Oct 21 by _

Once again the poster from Liverpool is only interested in attacking and going on a crusade against the posters he doesn't like and after getting a warning not to.

It's very difficult to read these digs and innuendos especially when the hypocrisy levels are going through the roof.

The hard miles have been done by the likes of myself and Brynmill and he was obviously lucky enough to get a ticket for the 5-4 Torquay game...and those around in those days would know exactly how difficult it was to get one. Those not around and they are the ones posting from 250 miles away will have no clue... I repeat, no clue.

I can vouch for my credentials as a true Swans fan going to home and away games for nigh on 35 years, how many even in this thread can truly look themselves in the mirror and say that? It's easy to lie and bull shit on an internet site but you'll only be lying to yourselves. Brynmill can do just that and has every right to come on here and offer an opinion, as does everyone. He, however has earned the right and respect to deliver it. Notable posters simply haven't and should be disregarded.

This is no witch hunt Parlay, this is our club remember, the club we fought for and will follow no matter who is in charge or what league we're in. Long after afore mentioned posters will be back doing whatever they did on Saturdays before the Liberty Stadium opened.

To not agree with our manager calling someone a cheat does not questionour ever lasting and loyal support, not one iota. To question transfers and formations and a worrying lack of energy and bite as games unfold is natural and should be encouraged. The true fans on here have the Swans in the blood. When it comes down to it they're the only thing that matters to give us that constant in our lives.

Be very aware of the enemy within but know who they are first. Hypocrisy will shine through.

The subject of whether Monk should or should not have said what he said is another debate and i wasn't referring to that in my OP. I can see arguments for both on that front.

Im just referring to the general doom and gloom I'm reading on here, I'm not calling anybodies Swansea fan credentials into question either. Ive been on the other side of the world for years so am not in a position to judge peoples loyalties.

But from where im sitting, this is a superb time to be a Swans fan and im not in the least bit concerned about any goings on in the club or indeed a perilous fate which is refreshing indeed. In fact im totally the opposite, i fully expect a hig mid table finish this year and feel we are right in track for it. There is always going to be bad runs along the way.

Forum celebrity

Very odd reading the board on 10:37 - Oct 21 with 855 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Very odd reading the board on 10:35 - Oct 21 by monmouth

Do we? Not sure about that mate. We CAN play better, but if we played to top form every game we would be champions league contenders. We are not....and because we are inconsistent. These first 8 games overall have shown an overachievement (we would have been fourth had we beaten 'a team like stoke' - away) and anyone that doesn't think that we will intersperse splashes of brilliance amongst patches of dirge is living in cloud cuckoo land. We will have some great results, some terrible results and some run of the mill results and I reckon, wash up around 9-12 with a potential high of 7 with a spectacular following wind (which we aren't getting recently). An adverse wind might take us down to 14-15, but I think no lower.

So yes, some of the hysteria for us not 'meeting our potential' is, in my view at least, simply based on wholly unrealistic 'ambitions' that take no account of the environment we are in.

We could, probably should have been 3-0 up before their joke penalty Mon. Cloud cuckoo land?

Very odd reading the board on 10:46 - Oct 21 with 811 viewsmonmouth

Very odd reading the board on 10:37 - Oct 21 by Brynmill_Jack

We could, probably should have been 3-0 up before their joke penalty Mon. Cloud cuckoo land?

Aye, but in microcosm Bryn, that's what I mean. Some wonderful, gorgeous, beautiful approach play, followed by some woeful finishing. Extrapolate that over the season and I think that's what we are in for and if you like, is our 'level'. On another day we get one or two of those and it's a 'great' result rather than a 'terrible' one. That's why we can generally hope but not expect.

Very odd reading the board on 10:46 - Oct 21 with 811 viewsParlay

Very odd reading the board on 10:31 - Oct 21 by icecoldjack

Just my take.

I wasn't wanting to detract from open debate, i know more than most the importance of a differing opinion and constructive criticism. If you don't criticise then you cant improve. BUT in such a positive time in our history it seems odd that the general mood on here is one of foreboding, to me that goes behind constructively criticising, must be something deeper than that. The OP was just an observation after reading the first page rather than direct accusations, i dont read the board enough to know who stands for what.

Forum celebrity

Very odd reading the board on 10:47 - Oct 21 with 805 viewsicecoldjack

Have we really overachieved?

The only overachievement was beating a man utd side that most teams of our level were beating also.

Id say we are about right in terms of points,maybe a bit behind considering bad luck against southampton,newcastle and stoke where imo 3 pts was maybe a fair target from those 3 games.

The leicster game will be a great chance to get 3 massive points.

After all its teams like these that we should target for wims at home .
Very odd reading the board on 10:48 - Oct 21 with 796 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Very odd reading the board on 10:30 - Oct 21 by _

Well said Chris. There's loyalty and then there's unquestioning blind loyalty. For the clearest example of the dangers of where that may lead some posters should look 40 or so miles east. It is our duty to question, if we don't it shows we don't care.

I don't pretend (as neither do you Chris) that my opinion takes precedence over anyone who has just joined our ranks, (that would be equally as foolhardy) but to be called naive by some, lacking footballing intelligence by others and negative by that Scouse exile really p*sses me off.

With him to the point I've had to put him on ignore. He's slaughtered dozens of players, managers he'll probably the board at some point in time himself too. He is one poisonous mother alright. Hypocrite of the decade and probably a lot longer............

Very odd reading the board on 10:50 - Oct 21 with 768 viewsmonmouth

Very odd reading the board on 10:47 - Oct 21 by icecoldjack

Have we really overachieved?

The only overachievement was beating a man utd side that most teams of our level were beating also.

Id say we are about right in terms of points,maybe a bit behind considering bad luck against southampton,newcastle and stoke where imo 3 pts was maybe a fair target from those 3 games.

The leicster game will be a great chance to get 3 massive points.

After all its teams like these that we should target for wims at home .

I think we can all agree that the 3 points on saturday are pretty big, in points, confidence and momentum terms.

Very odd reading the board on 10:54 - Oct 21 with 737 viewsicecoldjack

Very odd reading the board on 10:46 - Oct 21 by Parlay

I wasn't wanting to detract from open debate, i know more than most the importance of a differing opinion and constructive criticism. If you don't criticise then you cant improve. BUT in such a positive time in our history it seems odd that the general mood on here is one of foreboding, to me that goes behind constructively criticising, must be something deeper than that. The OP was just an observation after reading the first page rather than direct accusations, i dont read the board enough to know who stands for what.

I feel the general mood is no different to any other footy forum,which tends to bounce between the good the bad and the ugly!

I take your points though ..

Very odd reading the board on 10:55 - Oct 21 with 734 viewsParlay

Very odd reading the board on 10:48 - Oct 21 by Brynmill_Jack

Well said Chris. There's loyalty and then there's unquestioning blind loyalty. For the clearest example of the dangers of where that may lead some posters should look 40 or so miles east. It is our duty to question, if we don't it shows we don't care.

I don't pretend (as neither do you Chris) that my opinion takes precedence over anyone who has just joined our ranks, (that would be equally as foolhardy) but to be called naive by some, lacking footballing intelligence by others and negative by that Scouse exile really p*sses me off.

With him to the point I've had to put him on ignore. He's slaughtered dozens of players, managers he'll probably the board at some point in time himself too. He is one poisonous mother alright. Hypocrite of the decade and probably a lot longer............

My comment of you lacking footballing intelligence was your concern regarding momentum. A phenomenon that has affected Swansea season in and season out since its existence. Momentum is not a concern as we are where we are on the back of an up and down swing and we find ourselves in a place we would be delighted with come seasons end. If we were playing terribly with no signs of ever winning again then id see your point. We are playing very well in my opinion.

Forum celebrity

Very odd reading the board on 10:55 - Oct 21 with 732 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Very odd reading the board on 10:46 - Oct 21 by monmouth

Aye, but in microcosm Bryn, that's what I mean. Some wonderful, gorgeous, beautiful approach play, followed by some woeful finishing. Extrapolate that over the season and I think that's what we are in for and if you like, is our 'level'. On another day we get one or two of those and it's a 'great' result rather than a 'terrible' one. That's why we can generally hope but not expect.

I think the point I'm making is that we have no idea how to defend a lead, no idea how to change tack when the opposition nullifies us. These things are fixable so therefore we should be doing better. What's the good of playing lovely one touch football only for their manager to make a change which stops us playing to the extent we start hitting hopeful 40 yard long balls our striker has no chance of winning because they're so inaccurate?

Very odd reading the board on 10:57 - Oct 21 with 724 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Very odd reading the board on 10:55 - Oct 21 by Parlay

My comment of you lacking footballing intelligence was your concern regarding momentum. A phenomenon that has affected Swansea season in and season out since its existence. Momentum is not a concern as we are where we are on the back of an up and down swing and we find ourselves in a place we would be delighted with come seasons end. If we were playing terribly with no signs of ever winning again then id see your point. We are playing very well in my opinion.

We are not playing very well. That is my point. We obviously see things completely differently. You will not convince me we are, I will not convince you we are not. It's a nil nil draw Geoff

Very odd reading the board on 10:58 - Oct 21 with 713 viewsParlay

Very odd reading the board on 10:54 - Oct 21 by icecoldjack

I feel the general mood is no different to any other footy forum,which tends to bounce between the good the bad and the ugly!

I take your points though ..

Cant argue with that, thats why i came to the conclusion that the mood of a forum cannot represent the masses, currently it would be just to bizarre. Its hard for a foreigner (as i am now) to get a feel of the fanbase, this i guess is my only taste of a mass spectrum of opinion which is why im trying to understand it.

Forum celebrity

Very odd reading the board on 10:59 - Oct 21 with 708 viewsJackhero

Great point of view there Monmouth. I agree completely.

The joys of being a football supporter have never been better for us. Some of the expectations we have as fans are unrealistic at times and after Sunday's game it was frustrating to say the least, but after a kip and looking back over the game we really didn't deserve the result as you say we were inconsistent. BUT, we will get games where we really don't play well at all, and scrape a result......That is football and long may it continue in the Premier League.

Tubbs: Will heaven be like Swansea? Edward: Yes, Tubbs. Only... bigger.

Very odd reading the board on 11:00 - Oct 21 with 704 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Very odd reading the board on 10:50 - Oct 21 by monmouth

I think we can all agree that the 3 points on saturday are pretty big, in points, confidence and momentum terms.

Agree 100%, whilst losing (in isolation) won't destroy us it will heap pressure on the team.

Very odd reading the board on 11:01 - Oct 21 with 694 viewsParlay

Very odd reading the board on 10:57 - Oct 21 by Brynmill_Jack

We are not playing very well. That is my point. We obviously see things completely differently. You will not convince me we are, I will not convince you we are not. It's a nil nil draw Geoff

Well at times in the first half it was breathtaking for me, superb football by our front 4 and solid in defence. For me the pen changed it all, the timing was horrific just before half time and being the away side the second half was always going to be a different story from there on in.

Forum celebrity

Very odd reading the board on 11:10 - Oct 21 with 674 viewsicecoldjack

Very odd reading the board on 10:58 - Oct 21 by Parlay

Cant argue with that, thats why i came to the conclusion that the mood of a forum cannot represent the masses, currently it would be just to bizarre. Its hard for a foreigner (as i am now) to get a feel of the fanbase, this i guess is my only taste of a mass spectrum of opinion which is why im trying to understand it.

I also live away but fly home for about a 3rd of our games , i find it actually gives you a more clear perspective of things sometimes, as you tend to be on the outside looking in as opposed to being on the inside looking out.

I will say that the cross section at games to on a forum is about the same imo . Swansea has always had alot of people playing football/sport amd i think its sporting public are quite knowledgable <sp> about the game they love.

Of course different people see different things, its why i enjoy beimg on this forum, all the colours of thenrainbow on here at times !
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024