Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
fao Phil Sumbler 16:45 - Oct 23 with 33203 viewsRancid

Is it true that the trust is preventing us from being taken over by an American consortium for 95 million? And the rest of the board want it to go through? I'm not expecting a straight answer btw but I've heard from a very good source at the club.
fao Phil Sumbler on 21:04 - Oct 23 with 1668 viewsouttolunch

fao Phil Sumbler on 20:47 - Oct 23 by Rancid

Well he's a millionaire himself so I think he might know his way around a pound coin or 2.He was very specific too which made it all the more plausible.If you believe this or not then that's upto you.

And yes, we all know Vincent Tan is a very rich man too

Well that counts me out then uxbridge and jackonicko . It sounds to me as if someone holding court in hotel is speaking out if it is to beleived. I can tell you a few things from the past but sadly not from the present.
fao Phil Sumbler on 21:06 - Oct 23 with 1665 viewsRancid

fao Phil Sumbler on 20:53 - Oct 23 by Phil_S

I've watched this debate unfold whilst I was filling my ample belly with more food itching to respond but not wanting to get food on my keyboard!

Anyway, I digress.

As others have said it is not for me to stand in the way, I am one voice on the Trust board (albeit the casting vote if needed) but without an offer I couldn't even give you my view. the £100m you refer to I assume would be to persuade the shareholders to sell so that isn't money into the club so it would depend on what they wanted to do once they have the club and whether there was further investment or whether they would take money out every year when the TV money comes in. Financially the club is only attractive really in the Premier League so you would assume that people would want us to stay there but you just never know. Without that detail then I really cannot comment whether I would even consider casting my vote for or against

You may class that as a cop out but my view in this is - to make reference to one of your later posts in the thread - not that relevant. It becomes more relevant than yours if an offer was to ever be made because I will probably be privy to more information on that offer

I didn't read that as a 'cop out' at all, Phil.If it's what you're aware of then so be it.You say we're only attractive whilst we're in the Premier league and of course you're right.But we are and quite established now and profit making in the meantime so we're obviously an attractive proposition to any interested parties.

Personally, if we can expand the stadium without external monies then I'd be more than happy for us to carry on as we are and not have some Johnny Moneybags Foreigner intervening.
fao Phil Sumbler on 21:11 - Oct 23 with 1618 viewsPhil_S

fao Phil Sumbler on 20:58 - Oct 23 by outtolunch

You would be close if i was a he and i make no excuse that i knew him from years back. I am merely pointing out that we assume that some stakeholders have an agenda . There is no reason why we shouldnt also assume that there are agendas at trust board level as well. It would be dangerous if we didnt. There are positions to protect. That is the financial playground our club now find itself in and we are deluded if we think differently.

I think it is fair to say that each stakeholder (by which I assume you mean shareholder) has an agenda. After all if the value of the club is - as believed by this thread - to be £95 then even the smallest shareholder is sitting on a stake of £4.9m. So I suggest that there will be plenty of agendas when the money stakes get that high.

I am not sure there are the same agendas at Trust board level purely because the Trust stake does not equate to personal wealth. We all know why the Trust was formed and that was to get a shareholding in the club and have a director on the board. We have that and legally enough to not be forced into a sale. It is plausible that the valuation of £95m for 100% may not equate to 79% of £95m for a 79% stake (if that makes sense)

There are no positions in the Trust to protect so I assume that comment refers directly to other shareholders rather than us but I am sure you will correct me if I am wrong
fao Phil Sumbler on 21:11 - Oct 23 with 1613 viewsDr_Winston

It's entirely possible that certain parties have benn in discussions about selling their stakes without informing the Trust. Hell, if I was one of them I probably would too.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

fao Phil Sumbler on 21:15 - Oct 23 with 1586 viewsRancid

fao Phil Sumbler on 21:11 - Oct 23 by Dr_Winston

It's entirely possible that certain parties have benn in discussions about selling their stakes without informing the Trust. Hell, if I was one of them I probably would too.

Strangely enough they were very similar to the words I was told by this gentleman.10 years serving the club extremely well and now cashing in to be precise.
fao Phil Sumbler on 21:16 - Oct 23 with 1581 viewsClinton

When you see the problems that Lerner has had at Villa; when you see the mess Shahid has made at Fulham, even the dumbest Yank must realise that Prem football is a godawful investment.
I just cant believe anyone would put up 95 mills for our club, especially when they could get ex European Cup winners and genuine 'big club' Villa, with a willing seller, for a similar amount
Even if some poor sap did make this bid; like the proverbial 'dog chasing a motorbike', what would they do with it when they got hold hold of it ?
If the Trust are blocking a potential bid, more power to their collective elbows.

If you can fill the unforgiving minute. With sixty seconds' worth of distance run, Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it, And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

fao Phil Sumbler on 21:17 - Oct 23 with 1568 viewsskippyjack

It's their shares.. and if 100m was being bandied around.. you'd listen.. I sense we have a Tony petty/Mike Lewis in the midst.. does Katzen want to take and run.. does JVZ want to run.. is Huw going to sell while also keeping His position.. has Martin Morgan pissed away his millions.. it's like cluedo..

The awkward moment when a Welsh Club become the Champions of England.. shh The Swansea Way.. To upset the odds.
Poll: Best Swans Player

fao Phil Sumbler on 21:17 - Oct 23 with 1565 viewsRancid

fao Phil Sumbler on 21:16 - Oct 23 by Clinton

When you see the problems that Lerner has had at Villa; when you see the mess Shahid has made at Fulham, even the dumbest Yank must realise that Prem football is a godawful investment.
I just cant believe anyone would put up 95 mills for our club, especially when they could get ex European Cup winners and genuine 'big club' Villa, with a willing seller, for a similar amount
Even if some poor sap did make this bid; like the proverbial 'dog chasing a motorbike', what would they do with it when they got hold hold of it ?
If the Trust are blocking a potential bid, more power to their collective elbows.

Well if I could make 10 million plus profit a year from a business then I'd certainly be interested.Wouldn't you?
Login to get fewer ads

fao Phil Sumbler on 21:19 - Oct 23 with 1553 viewsjackonicko

Indeed. There has been plenty of talk over the last few months of certain shareholders trying to drum up interest in buying the club as a lucrative exit strategy. Westx started an interesting thread on the very subject of potential American owners a month ago.

The one thing you can be absolutely sure that the Trust is not one of those shareholders trying to drum up interest. They have no direct incentive to sell.

And then today you get another series of posts on here trying to point fingers at the trust, suggesting them of being a 'blocker'. I wonder whose agenda that suits?

And then you get some other posts pointing fingers at the trust suggesting they are the source of those leaks. Based on the logical answer to the question above, it makes you wonder where those leaks are really coming from.
fao Phil Sumbler on 21:20 - Oct 23 with 1535 viewsouttolunch

fao Phil Sumbler on 21:04 - Oct 23 by jackonicko

Seeing as we are posting hypothetical questions.

Imagine a scenario where you are a club board member with a significant and important day to day executive role. You are asked to represent the club at a fans forum event, and let's say for the sake of argument it is in London. And, for the sake of argument, it's the night before a Swans away game, also in London.

Do you:

A) recognise you are the vice chairman and attend the event, particularly as you haven't attended other Q&As recently; or
B) decline as you have a prior obligation with the Baglan U10s.

Oh dear. You really have let yourself down. The man hasn't travelled away much for years. He has always put his son and baglan kids first at weekends. He has done so for for years and makes no secret of it and at the detriment of many other things. If your old enough im glad your not my dad. Absolutely shocking post.
fao Phil Sumbler on 21:26 - Oct 23 with 1488 viewsjackonicko

fao Phil Sumbler on 21:20 - Oct 23 by outtolunch

Oh dear. You really have let yourself down. The man hasn't travelled away much for years. He has always put his son and baglan kids first at weekends. He has done so for for years and makes no secret of it and at the detriment of many other things. If your old enough im glad your not my dad. Absolutely shocking post.

So, hypothetically, that's a (b) then.
fao Phil Sumbler on 21:26 - Oct 23 with 1482 viewsPhil_S

fao Phil Sumbler on 21:02 - Oct 23 by tomdickharry

Cast our minds back to the Laudrup sacking were the ful membership consulted.

Sadly I think you are serious on this one as well??
fao Phil Sumbler on 21:28 - Oct 23 with 1459 viewsPhil_S

fao Phil Sumbler on 21:17 - Oct 23 by Rancid

Well if I could make 10 million plus profit a year from a business then I'd certainly be interested.Wouldn't you?

So is that what the aim of this buyer is to take £10m per year out of the club?

Not sure on the face of it that sounds a good deal to me
fao Phil Sumbler on 21:30 - Oct 23 with 1446 viewsPhil_S

fao Phil Sumbler on 21:04 - Oct 23 by outtolunch

Well that counts me out then uxbridge and jackonicko . It sounds to me as if someone holding court in hotel is speaking out if it is to beleived. I can tell you a few things from the past but sadly not from the present.

So we have narrowed the source down to Martin Morgan based on what you have just said? Is that fact or as wild as your Trust board members have been leaking comments accusation

Maybe you should share some of those things from the past?
fao Phil Sumbler on 21:34 - Oct 23 with 1420 viewsRancid

fao Phil Sumbler on 21:28 - Oct 23 by Phil_S

Which is why i said to you a few posts back I'm personally against it, Phil.Please don't misconstrue my thread as criticism of you and the trust because it's not.
fao Phil Sumbler on 21:38 - Oct 23 with 1391 viewsjackonicko

fao Phil Sumbler on 21:30 - Oct 23 by Phil_S

So we have narrowed the source down to Martin Morgan based on what you have just said? Is that fact or as wild as your Trust board members have been leaking comments accusation

Nah. All sorts of people speak too loudly in the bar at Morgan's. It's the only reason it's worth going to.

Outtolunch is not the only one with a good memory.
fao Phil Sumbler on 21:41 - Oct 23 with 1375 viewsPhil_S

fao Phil Sumbler on 21:34 - Oct 23 by Rancid

Which is why i said to you a few posts back I'm personally against it, Phil.Please don't misconstrue my thread as criticism of you and the trust because it's not.

No I didn't take it as criticism although I suspect that when you were told it the person who told you may well have been criticising the Trust

I would personally always have an open mind to these things although the club is doing pretty well at the moment so for me (as an individual) any offer would have to give a better than average chance of us progressing to the next level - but that as I said is a personal view and I don't know how widely that would be shared but I would imagine I am not unique
fao Phil Sumbler on 21:42 - Oct 23 with 1366 viewsPhil_S

fao Phil Sumbler on 21:38 - Oct 23 by jackonicko

Nah. All sorts of people speak too loudly in the bar at Morgan's. It's the only reason it's worth going to.

Outtolunch is not the only one with a good memory.

Interestingly though we don't - to my knowledge - have any board members in their 60s

Maybe it was a shareholder...??
fao Phil Sumbler on 21:43 - Oct 23 with 1364 viewsskippyjack

fao Phil Sumbler on 21:28 - Oct 23 by Phil_S

Especially if you're going to invest 100m into it...10 years to get it back?.. doesn't appealing.. but if you're American and willing to buy 20% for 20m.. his sole aim would be making commercial profit in America surely? Maybe that's what Huw is pointing out.. a shareholder wants to pack up.. but the American only wants to make profit from commercial sales in America.. that is highly plausible.. with the stadium naming rights coming to an end.. maybe he wants the stadium to be a marketing tool in the UK?.. if that's all he's after.. he can buy shares.. I have no complaints.

The awkward moment when a Welsh Club become the Champions of England.. shh The Swansea Way.. To upset the odds.
Poll: Best Swans Player

fao Phil Sumbler on 21:45 - Oct 23 with 1351 viewsouttolunch

fao Phil Sumbler on 21:30 - Oct 23 by Phil_S

There aren't many millionaires on our board are there ? . perhaps 2.? i just picked the one who lives in swansea. I havent stated fact at all just assumed like most do.

I wonder if huw jenkins know if his board leaks things. What makes you think that you know if your board doesn't ? Absolutely pointless arguement as none of us knows. The op was pure conjecture although he will say different. .
fao Phil Sumbler on 21:45 - Oct 23 with 1344 viewsmax936

I'd be suprised and a tad disappointed if any of the Board members, woud want their journey with club to come to an end, especially Martin Morgan, although money does strange things to people I suppose.
[Post edited 23 Oct 2014 21:48]

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

fao Phil Sumbler on 21:46 - Oct 23 with 1336 viewsDr_Winston

Problem is progressing to the next level is going to be exceedingly difficult without the kind of cash injection that FFP exists purely to prevent. Sure, whoever comes in could spend millions on infrastructure but it's not exactly going to lead to a rapid return.

Still think the "dividends for shares" approach is the best option. The one which best safeguards the clubs future in the long run and allows the current owners to make a decent return on their initial investments.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

fao Phil Sumbler on 21:46 - Oct 23 with 1333 viewsUxbridge

fao Phil Sumbler on 21:41 - Oct 23 by Phil_S

No I didn't take it as criticism although I suspect that when you were told it the person who told you may well have been criticising the Trust

I would personally always have an open mind to these things although the club is doing pretty well at the moment so for me (as an individual) any offer would have to give a better than average chance of us progressing to the next level - but that as I said is a personal view and I don't know how widely that would be shared but I would imagine I am not unique

Quite. You could never say never, although it'd take something spectacular for me to want to rip up the status quo.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

fao Phil Sumbler on 21:47 - Oct 23 with 1319 viewsRancid

These billionaires don't buy football clubs to make money from.They're toys to them.It's a bit different with us though as we do make a healthy profit.
fao Phil Sumbler on 21:49 - Oct 23 with 1311 viewsPhil_S

fao Phil Sumbler on 21:45 - Oct 23 by outtolunch

There aren't many millionaires on our board are there ? . perhaps 2.? i just picked the one who lives in swansea. I havent stated fact at all just assumed like most do.

I wonder if huw jenkins know if his board leaks things. What makes you think that you know if your board doesn't ? Absolutely pointless arguement as none of us knows. The op was pure conjecture although he will say different. .

Did you fail to read the post where I acknowledged that it could be a Trust board member leaking information? Or did you just choose to ignore it.

I don't make any assumptions in public on who leaked the information to the OP (and the one who said he had heard from the same person) - I have my views on who they are but I tend to keep this to private debate, it's a more professional way to act

Hence why I kept completely out of the debate on here a few weeks back about American investors that was started by westx and from memory reached several pages of debate
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024