Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
fao Phil Sumbler 16:45 - Oct 23 with 33118 viewsRancid

Is it true that the trust is preventing us from being taken over by an American consortium for 95 million? And the rest of the board want it to go through? I'm not expecting a straight answer btw but I've heard from a very good source at the club.
fao Phil Sumbler on 22:22 - Oct 23 with 1815 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

fao Phil Sumbler on 22:11 - Oct 23 by NeathJack

Is his title Commercial Director? I though it was Vice Chairman.

http://www.swanseacity.net/club/whos_who/

I know he was in charge of improving the ticketing system over the summer and it has improved hugely on previous seasons.

According to his self-written LinkedIn account he is the Vice Chairman and Commercial Director of Swansea City.

Looking through the profiles of other commercial directors and highly positioned commercial staff at other clubs in our league, they all have progressed to where they are through other jobs where they have become very experienced in the world of sports marketing etc.

I don't like to criticise our own but he clearly lacks the experience these other people have and it shows. He was put in / asked for this role and he has not done it to a good enough standard.

It bemuses me why others don't feel the same and why they are happy to sit back thinking everything is rosy.

At least we can put to be the 'Run by the fans for the fans' nonsense we've heard over the past few years.

Poll: Should MP for Swansea East Carolyn Harris resign?

fao Phil Sumbler on 22:24 - Oct 23 with 1796 viewsNeathJack

fao Phil Sumbler on 22:22 - Oct 23 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

According to his self-written LinkedIn account he is the Vice Chairman and Commercial Director of Swansea City.

Looking through the profiles of other commercial directors and highly positioned commercial staff at other clubs in our league, they all have progressed to where they are through other jobs where they have become very experienced in the world of sports marketing etc.

I don't like to criticise our own but he clearly lacks the experience these other people have and it shows. He was put in / asked for this role and he has not done it to a good enough standard.

It bemuses me why others don't feel the same and why they are happy to sit back thinking everything is rosy.

At least we can put to be the 'Run by the fans for the fans' nonsense we've heard over the past few years.

Fair enough regarding his title.

So how much income has been commercially generated since he held the post in comparison with prior to this and compared to similar sized Premier League clubs?
fao Phil Sumbler on 22:28 - Oct 23 with 1777 viewstomdickharry

fao Phil Sumbler on 21:26 - Oct 23 by Phil_S

Sadly I think you are serious on this one as well??

Its a fact,however,that matter is gone now,or until someone tries to find the settlement figure buried in the next accounts.
fao Phil Sumbler on 22:30 - Oct 23 with 1759 viewsRancid

fao Phil Sumbler on 22:22 - Oct 23 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

""You don't like to criticize our own''

Fair play that did make me laugh, Dwight.
fao Phil Sumbler on 22:32 - Oct 23 with 1747 viewsPhil_S

fao Phil Sumbler on 22:28 - Oct 23 by tomdickharry

Its a fact,however,that matter is gone now,or until someone tries to find the settlement figure buried in the next accounts.

No I meant you were serious in thinking it should go to a vote of the members

Which of course is a massively stupid statement to make

Maybe you should have come to the AGM on Monday night and asked the question why it didn't happen?
fao Phil Sumbler on 22:35 - Oct 23 with 1722 viewsUxbridge

fao Phil Sumbler on 22:32 - Oct 23 by Phil_S

Maybe you should have come to the AGM on Monday night and asked the question why it didn't happen?

It was a busy meeting. Would there have been time?

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

fao Phil Sumbler on 22:37 - Oct 23 with 1697 viewsPhil_S

fao Phil Sumbler on 22:35 - Oct 23 by Uxbridge

It was a busy meeting. Would there have been time?

We could have extended it!!

Interestingly shame this didn't come out before the AGM otherwise there may have been some questions around it Monday night
fao Phil Sumbler on 22:38 - Oct 23 with 1688 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

fao Phil Sumbler on 22:24 - Oct 23 by NeathJack

Fair enough regarding his title.

So how much income has been commercially generated since he held the post in comparison with prior to this and compared to similar sized Premier League clubs?

Your questions would require hours of research to answer fully and while I also would be interested in their answers I'm not going to spend my whole night finding that out.

I quickly searched for any information on commercial income from the clubs in the Premier League and this is what the 2013 accounts show. Minus gate receipts and television / broadcasting money / prize money, the income of clubs (commercial income) around us in the table is;

Aston Villa: £16m
Everton: £14m
Fulham: £11m
Norwich: £13m
QPR: £9m
Reading: £6m
Southampton: £8m
Stoke: £12m
Sunderland £19m

Swansea £6m

West Brom £10m
West Ham £20m
Wigan £3m

I think £6m is too low compared to other clubs who have been in this league for around the same length of time as us e.g Norwich and I think that after a couple of seasons in this league we should have caught up significantly with the other clubs around our size, but we haven't. It's poor and it needs to be addressed.

( http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/may/01/premier-league-accounts-club-by-
[Post edited 23 Oct 2014 22:38]

Login to get fewer ads

fao Phil Sumbler on 22:44 - Oct 23 with 1642 viewsUxbridge

fao Phil Sumbler on 22:37 - Oct 23 by Phil_S

We could have extended it!!

Interestingly shame this didn't come out before the AGM otherwise there may have been some questions around it Monday night

It's been out for the last month, and still not a whisper. I was surprised.

fao Phil Sumbler on 22:49 - Oct 23 with 1620 viewstomdickharry

fao Phil Sumbler on 22:32 - Oct 23 by Phil_S

Your thinking was incorrect.
Regarding the AGM last Monday night,have realised in recent months that the board do what they wish with little care for the fans, viz - dazzling floodlights,LED AD lights as 2 glaring examples,fans complain,little if anything is seen to be done.So what's the point. The day Dv's were accepted was the day this club changed.
fao Phil Sumbler on 22:49 - Oct 23 with 1620 viewsouttolunch

fao Phil Sumbler on 22:10 - Oct 23 by jackonicko

Yes, unfortunately Leigh's memory of events in the film differs from mine, and the corporate memory of Companies House.

Perhaps outtolunch's memory is better?

Actually yes it is.
fao Phil Sumbler on 22:50 - Oct 23 with 1613 viewsNeathJack

fao Phil Sumbler on 22:38 - Oct 23 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

Your questions would require hours of research to answer fully and while I also would be interested in their answers I'm not going to spend my whole night finding that out.

I quickly searched for any information on commercial income from the clubs in the Premier League and this is what the 2013 accounts show. Minus gate receipts and television / broadcasting money / prize money, the income of clubs (commercial income) around us in the table is;

Aston Villa: £16m
Everton: £14m
Fulham: £11m
Norwich: £13m
QPR: £9m
Reading: £6m
Southampton: £8m
Stoke: £12m
Sunderland £19m

Swansea £6m

West Brom £10m
West Ham £20m
Wigan £3m

I think £6m is too low compared to other clubs who have been in this league for around the same length of time as us e.g Norwich and I think that after a couple of seasons in this league we should have caught up significantly with the other clubs around our size, but we haven't. It's poor and it needs to be addressed.

( http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/may/01/premier-league-accounts-club-by-
[Post edited 23 Oct 2014 22:38]

That (broken) link you have provided shows Norwich's commercial income as £8m, not £13m. You've added on their catering income which may well make up our commercial income as well but is a subjective amount depending on available facilities.

Unless you are able to judge on like for like commercially generated income, in my opinion it is not possible to have an objective view on whether or not we are performing at a satisfactory level in that department.

It seems you formed your opinion without this information.
fao Phil Sumbler on 22:52 - Oct 23 with 1597 viewsUxbridge

fao Phil Sumbler on 22:49 - Oct 23 by outtolunch

Actually yes it is.

Just a point of order here, but filings at Companies House are a matter of fact. If your memories disagree with the filings there then either you are wrong, or the club have incorrectly filed details which would be a bit illegal.

fao Phil Sumbler on 22:54 - Oct 23 with 1575 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

fao Phil Sumbler on 22:50 - Oct 23 by NeathJack

That (broken) link you have provided shows Norwich's commercial income as £8m, not £13m. You've added on their catering income which may well make up our commercial income as well but is a subjective amount depending on available facilities.

Unless you are able to judge on like for like commercially generated income, in my opinion it is not possible to have an objective view on whether or not we are performing at a satisfactory level in that department.

I wouldn't have thought we have a Catering Director and so would assume that would fall under the responsibility of the Commercial Director too.

fao Phil Sumbler on 22:55 - Oct 23 with 1577 viewsPhil_S

fao Phil Sumbler on 22:49 - Oct 23 by tomdickharry

Your thinking was incorrect.
Regarding the AGM last Monday night,have realised in recent months that the board do what they wish with little care for the fans, viz - dazzling floodlights,LED AD lights as 2 glaring examples,fans complain,little if anything is seen to be done.So what's the point. The day Dv's were accepted was the day this club changed.

That's your call - keep reading the EVening Post as it was all covered in the Trust talk column a couple of weeks back

Shame that you let your own apathy get in the way of what you believe to be apathy. Almost ironic
fao Phil Sumbler on 22:55 - Oct 23 with 1571 viewsUxbridge

fao Phil Sumbler on 22:50 - Oct 23 by NeathJack

Check Swiss Rambles twitter feed. He did an excellent club by club analysis. Dwights league table was largely correct based on the 2012/13 accounts, although that is of course now 18 months out of date. Will be interesting to see how we compare these days.

fao Phil Sumbler on 23:01 - Oct 23 with 1539 viewsNeathJack

fao Phil Sumbler on 22:55 - Oct 23 by Uxbridge

Check Swiss Rambles twitter feed. He did an excellent club by club analysis. Dwights league table was largely correct based on the 2012/13 accounts, although that is of course now 18 months out of date. Will be interesting to see how we compare these days.

Indeed. No one would argue we had catching up to do and it should be noted that for the season quoted we were still tied into the 32Red sponsorship deal.

The latest set of accounts which should be available fairly soon will give a much more reliable and up to date picture of how we are performing commercially.
fao Phil Sumbler on 23:02 - Oct 23 with 1531 viewsjackonicko

fao Phil Sumbler on 22:49 - Oct 23 by outtolunch

Actually yes it is.

I'm in suspense.
fao Phil Sumbler on 23:06 - Oct 23 with 1520 viewsouttolunch

fao Phil Sumbler on 22:54 - Oct 23 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

I wouldn't have thought we have a Catering Director and so would assume that would fall under the responsibility of the Commercial Director too.

The football club doesn't have catering as far as i am aware so that might make a big impact. It doesn't also look after the naming rights, stand sponsorship etc. i also read somewhere that our shirt sponsorship deal was the 9th largest in the Premier league not that that makes a difference in league tables.
fao Phil Sumbler on 23:08 - Oct 23 with 1509 viewsouttolunch

The football club doesn't have catering as far as i am aware so that might make a big impact. It doesn't also look after the naming rights, stand sponsorship etc. i also read somewhere that our shirt sponsorship deal was the 9th largest in the Premier league not that that makes a difference in league tables.
fao Phil Sumbler on 23:11 - Oct 23 with 1483 viewsNeathJack

Please see Outtolunch's reply.
fao Phil Sumbler on 23:20 - Oct 23 with 1443 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

fao Phil Sumbler on 23:08 - Oct 23 by outtolunch

It's quite poor that we do not control things such as stand sponsorship in the stadium we made famous around the world.

fao Phil Sumbler on 23:23 - Oct 23 with 1441 viewsouttolunch

fao Phil Sumbler on 22:03 - Oct 23 by jackonicko

Sometimes when you have a responsible, well remunerated, job you have to make sacrifices in order to do that job. Not every weekend, but sometimes it cannot be avoided. I'm sure many on here have faced those difficult decisions.

I only wish I got several weeks notice when these things happened, so I had plenty of time to make arrangements. Or just drive home late on Saturday night.

Due credit therefore has to go to those who don't get paid, but will be at the Q&A representing the club and the trust in their own time, at their own cost, and no doubt making just as huge sacrifices. But who still recognise that it is the right thing to do.

Im sorry for not replying earlier but i was sure i saw a twitter conversation not long ago that asked him to come to a forum before the west ham game in london on the friday night . Ive just looked it it up and he said yes he would . The man who asked him was a Stewart clutterbuck. You missed that one ?
fao Phil Sumbler on 23:26 - Oct 23 with 1431 viewsouttolunch

fao Phil Sumbler on 23:20 - Oct 23 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

It's quite poor that we do not control things such as stand sponsorship in the stadium we made famous around the world.

If you knew your history sunshine then you would know we don't own the stadium so why would we own the stadium rights. ?
fao Phil Sumbler on 23:27 - Oct 23 with 1430 viewsjackonicko

fao Phil Sumbler on 23:23 - Oct 23 by outtolunch

Im sorry for not replying earlier but i was sure i saw a twitter conversation not long ago that asked him to come to a forum before the west ham game in london on the friday night . Ive just looked it it up and he said yes he would . The man who asked him was a Stewart clutterbuck. You missed that one ?

Really? You mean he made a public commitment to attending and then privately saying he won't?

Wow. If this wasn't an entirely hypothetical scenario I would be shocked.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024