Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Garry Monk welcomes prospect of outside investment at Swansea City as John Moore 17:26 - Oct 30 with 8077 viewsthomasJack

GARRY Monk reckons Swansea City must look to outside investors if they are to continue to thrive at the top end of the Premier League.

It emerged today that US billionaire John Moores is one of the American businessman who is in talks with Swansea over the possibility of putting money into the club.

Moores' friend, Charles Nowell, has also been named as a potential investor as Swansea seek extra cash to help them compete at the top level.

Swansea's board of directors have so far refused to comment on the names, although they have admitted they are on the lookout for new sources of revenue as they bid to increase their financial muscle.

Chairman Huw Jenkins had originally claimed Swansea were only looking at sponsorhsip and commercial deals, but it is now clear they could be prepared to sell some shares in the club.

And Monk admits Swansea do need extra money if they are to keep pace with the top-flight's heavyweight clubs.

"I just think it's important that we look to push forward as a club," said the Swansea manager.

"One way of doing that is attracting investment and we need to be proactive.

"You need investment to make that step to being an established top-ten club.

"The big clubs will keep getting money in, and it's important for a club like ourselves to make sure we get enough money in to stay on their heels."

Swansea fans have taken pride in the fact that their club has been run primarily by local people since Tony Petty was ousted in 2002.

There are bound to be concerns over what direction Swansea may go in should their ownership change in any way, but Monk has faith in Jenkins and Co.

"For the last 10 or 12 years, the chairman and the board have always made decisions in the best interests of the club," he added.

"I am sure they will keep doing the same. It's not about someone coming in to take over the running of the club, so we just have to trust Huw and the board to make the right decisions.

"They have been very shrewd over the years and that will not change."

Read more: http://www.southwales-eveningpost.co.uk/Garry-Monk-welcomes-prospect-outside-inv
Follow us: @SWEveningPost on Twitter | SWEveningPost on Facebook

Poll: Next signing

Garry Monk welcomes prospect of outside investment at Swansea City as John Moore on 12:58 - Nov 1 with 1186 views_

Garry Monk welcomes prospect of outside investment at Swansea City as John Moore on 12:52 - Nov 1 by Darran

No idea but we still don't know if it'll work and to dismiss it completely untill we as fans know exactly what it is is madness.

Just leave it at you've got no idea and disappear for a bit...

You're all out of time....the past was yours but the future's mine.
Poll: With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans

Garry Monk welcomes prospect of outside investment at Swansea City as John Moore on 12:58 - Nov 1 with 1187 viewslonglostjack

Garry Monk welcomes prospect of outside investment at Swansea City as John Moore on 12:47 - Nov 1 by Darran

Seriously though there seems to be a lot of mystic megs on here when nobody really knows what the future holds.
After all this might be the best thing to ever happen no?

Never look a gift horse in the mouth unless it's a Trojan

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Garry Monk welcomes prospect of outside investment at Swansea City as John Moore on 13:00 - Nov 1 with 1178 viewsDarran

Garry Monk welcomes prospect of outside investment at Swansea City as John Moore on 12:57 - Nov 1 by Brynmill_Jack

I think after reading the threads and seeing those named and digging up the dirt I think we all have a pretty good idea, if not 100% of the information. Jeez, you want to go back to your posts aimed at Cardiff fans over their "investment" boasts on here and :-

A. Have a good read.
B. Look at the state Cardiff are in, debt/colour change/fans helpless

My posts aimed at Cardiff fans?

I can't seen to recall many I really couldn't care less what happens up there.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Garry Monk welcomes prospect of outside investment at Swansea City as John Moore on 13:02 - Nov 1 with 1172 viewsmonmouth

Garry Monk welcomes prospect of outside investment at Swansea City as John Moore on 12:47 - Nov 1 by Darran

Seriously though there seems to be a lot of mystic megs on here when nobody really knows what the future holds.

Much rather see a climate of over caution, pessimism, scepticism and distrust during the 'courtship' than the opposite though. Lets see some significant tangible evidence that it is in our club's best interest before removing the negative stances. For me, this should be a case of proof way beyond reasonable doubt, not balance of probabilities.

I doubt in the end mind that what anyone beyond the main players think will matter a toss.....I never thought I'd ever use a Cyndi Lauper song quote but "money changes everything".........'we swore each other everlasting love, well yeah I know we did, but there was one thing we weren't thinking of...and that's...'

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Garry Monk welcomes prospect of outside investment at Swansea City as John Moore on 13:09 - Nov 1 with 1166 viewsjackonicko

Garry Monk welcomes prospect of outside investment at Swansea City as John Moore on 13:02 - Nov 1 by monmouth

Much rather see a climate of over caution, pessimism, scepticism and distrust during the 'courtship' than the opposite though. Lets see some significant tangible evidence that it is in our club's best interest before removing the negative stances. For me, this should be a case of proof way beyond reasonable doubt, not balance of probabilities.

I doubt in the end mind that what anyone beyond the main players think will matter a toss.....I never thought I'd ever use a Cyndi Lauper song quote but "money changes everything".........'we swore each other everlasting love, well yeah I know we did, but there was one thing we weren't thinking of...and that's...'

Totally agree with this.

The simple fact is there is nothing that has been confirmed in the press, rumoured in the press, rumoured here, or otherwise that allows any kind of informed view to be taken on whether this is a good or a bad thing.

In the meantime, ask questions. Lots of them. And join the trust.
(No subject) (n/t) on 14:46 - Nov 1 with 1098 viewsAngelRangelQS

Garry Monk welcomes prospect of outside investment at Swansea City as John Moore on 21:09 - Nov 1 with 1041 viewsperchrockjack

SO, we don't need more investment.?

Well there s lovely

Why are not these fans on the board as its easy to opine on here.

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Garry Monk welcomes prospect of outside investment at Swansea City as John Moore on 21:22 - Nov 1 with 1044 viewswaynekerr55

If it's too good to be true then it probably is.

Will be interesting to see what happens when the full facts are out there

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

Login to get fewer ads

Garry Monk welcomes prospect of outside investment at Swansea City as John Moore on 23:56 - Nov 1 with 990 viewsperchrockjack

Garry Monk welcomes prospect of outside investment at Swansea City as John Moore on 00:03 - Nov 2 with 980 viewsperchrockjack

You watching my back Wayne.?

Garry Monk welcomes prospect of outside investment at Swansea City as John Moore on 09:57 - Nov 2 with 938 viewsDr_Winston

Garry Monk welcomes prospect of outside investment at Swansea City as John Moore on 21:09 - Nov 1 by perchrockjack

SO, we don't need more investment.?

Well there s lovely

Why are not these fans on the board as its easy to opine on here.

No, we don't need investment. We didn't need it five years ago when you were regularly declaring that we'd never make the Premier League without a sugar daddy, and we don't need it now.

We need to hire the best available people to run every part of our club, not toss the job to someone to do part time, to an ex player whose face fits or whoever's brother/husband/son/daughter needs a job.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Garry Monk welcomes prospect of outside investment at Swansea City as John Moore on 10:01 - Nov 2 with 933 viewswaynekerr55

Garry Monk welcomes prospect of outside investment at Swansea City as John Moore on 09:57 - Nov 2 by Dr_Winston

No, we don't need investment. We didn't need it five years ago when you were regularly declaring that we'd never make the Premier League without a sugar daddy, and we don't need it now.

We need to hire the best available people to run every part of our club, not toss the job to someone to do part time, to an ex player whose face fits or whoever's brother/husband/son/daughter needs a job.

Have you donned your tin hat Doc?

Garry Monk welcomes prospect of outside investment at Swansea City as John Moore on 10:04 - Nov 2 with 929 viewsDr_Winston

Garry Monk welcomes prospect of outside investment at Swansea City as John Moore on 10:01 - Nov 2 by waynekerr55

Have you donned your tin hat Doc?

None needed.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Garry Monk welcomes prospect of outside investment at Swansea City as John Moore on 10:04 - Nov 2 with 925 viewsParlay

Garry Monk welcomes prospect of outside investment at Swansea City as John Moore on 09:57 - Nov 2 by Dr_Winston

Depends what peoples goals are. If they want to be a champions league club then yes we need investment, we don't have the revenue streams to sustain that by ourselves. Do we need investment to continue as we are? Absolutely not.

I'd choose carrying on as we are with our ethos and methodology rather than handing it over for some fleeting glances at higher positions until the owner decides to move on leaving us in limbo with huge debts and unknown owners coming in with intentions only they are aware of.

We are on to a good thing here but I think blind big club desire may be our downfall. The dog with a bone in his mouth looking obviously at the reflection in the river comes to mind.

Forum celebrity
Poll: Is £45 a match ticket too high?

Garry Monk welcomes prospect of outside investment at Swansea City as John Moore on 10:09 - Nov 2 with 913 viewsDr_Winston

Garry Monk welcomes prospect of outside investment at Swansea City as John Moore on 10:04 - Nov 2 by Parlay

Depends what peoples goals are. If they want to be a champions league club then yes we need investment, we don't have the revenue streams to sustain that by ourselves. Do we need investment to continue as we are? Absolutely not.

I'd choose carrying on as we are with our ethos and methodology rather than handing it over for some fleeting glances at higher positions until the owner decides to move on leaving us in limbo with huge debts and unknown owners coming in with intentions only they are aware of.

We are on to a good thing here but I think blind big club desire may be our downfall. The dog with a bone in his mouth looking obviously at the reflection in the river comes to mind.

Charlton were once where we are. A widely respected club who overcame huge obstacles to establish themselves in the Premier League. Then one season they overreached to try and take the next step and never recovered.

In time we could potentially grow to become a club consistently challenging for a top eight position. Not a million miles from where we are now. We will never become a Man Utd/Arsenal/Liverpool or whatever.

Garry Monk welcomes prospect of outside investment at Swansea City as John Moore on 10:11 - Nov 2 with 904 viewswestx

Garry Monk welcomes prospect of outside investment at Swansea City as John Moore on 10:04 - Nov 2 by Parlay

Its interesting that Monk has welcomed the investment although he may want to see what he gets in his budget first as I don't suspect it will be any bigger than it currently is - if anything it will most likely be smaller than it is. The talk at the moment is all about money coming into the shareholders not the club so they can sell out at the first possible chance

The likes of Dineen, Van Sweden and the Ospreys guy will just cut and run. the pr from Dineen on ticket prices was his 'I am on your side fans' comment despite the fact he has opposed ticket reductions as the commercial director

The comment about jobs for the boys, ex pros and family members is spot on, the club can progress more by giving roles to the right people. strange how everyone is giving this moores bloke grief for buying something cheap and selling it at a vast fortune yet that is exactly what our current shareholders are doing

I cant remember where I read it but I am off to renew my trust membership we have to be behind them at this point in time 100%

Poll: Would you welcome new owners if the deal was right?

Garry Monk welcomes prospect of outside investment at Swansea City as John Moore on 10:13 - Nov 2 with 902 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Or MAYBE clubs like ours could try to put pressure on the authorities to enforce FFP properly, via the courts if necessary ? It's unfair competition and a restraint of trade.
The other option with Moores? Two wrongs don't make a right

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Garry Monk welcomes prospect of outside investment at Swansea City as John Moore on 10:14 - Nov 2 with 902 viewsParlay

Agree completely. Although unfortunately it's clear just from reading this board that being mid table amazingly isn't good enough anymore. And anyone who disagrees is accused of lack of ambition, ironically staying a mid table club for the foreseeable future probably keeps us dining at the top table longer than the former.

We are a victim of our own success dished out my our own fans and its ugly to witness.

Forum celebrity
Poll: Is £45 a match ticket too high?

Garry Monk welcomes prospect of outside investment at Swansea City as John Moore on 10:15 - Nov 2 with 897 viewswestx

Garry Monk welcomes prospect of outside investment at Swansea City as John Moore on 10:14 - Nov 2 by Parlay

Agree completely. Although unfortunately it's clear just from reading this board that being mid table amazingly isn't good enough anymore. And anyone who disagrees is accused of lack of ambition, ironically staying a mid table club for the foreseeable future probably keeps us dining at the top table longer than the former.

We are a victim of our own success dished out my our own fans and its ugly to witness.

Sadly I cannot disagree with that at all

Garry Monk welcomes prospect of outside investment at Swansea City as John Moore on 10:26 - Nov 2 with 882 viewsperchrockjack

If you re a landlord and looking to increase your income, you look for another house to Invest in. that way increases your income.

Its basic business that if you stand still ,you stagnate .

some of our Supreme Council of Internet Princes believe they know the best way forward. THEY DONT. Frankly, I ll leave it to people better qualified and trust them as opposed to chucking barbs and looking to blocks to progress.

What happened at others clubs is nothing to do with us as we are far better run.

It could be seen as small minded thinking again, the kind of thing that s screwed Swansea as a city- as people have commented on here.

Garry Monk welcomes prospect of outside investment at Swansea City as John Moore on 10:35 - Nov 2 with 872 viewswestx

Garry Monk welcomes prospect of outside investment at Swansea City as John Moore on 10:26 - Nov 2 by perchrockjack

If you re a landlord and looking to increase your income, you look for another house to Invest in. that way increases your income.

Its basic business that if you stand still ,you stagnate .

some of our Supreme Council of Internet Princes believe they know the best way forward. THEY DONT. Frankly, I ll leave it to people better qualified and trust them as opposed to chucking barbs and looking to blocks to progress.

What happened at others clubs is nothing to do with us as we are far better run.

It could be seen as small minded thinking again, the kind of thing that s screwed Swansea as a city- as people have commented on here.

So you have no issues with the shareholders that have looked to negotiate a potential deal without thinking what could happen long term?

I admire your blind faith in these people

Garry Monk welcomes prospect of outside investment at Swansea City as John Moore on 10:45 - Nov 2 with 859 viewswaynekerr55

Garry Monk welcomes prospect of outside investment at Swansea City as John Moore on 10:13 - Nov 2 by Brynmill_Jack

Or MAYBE clubs like ours could try to put pressure on the authorities to enforce FFP properly, via the courts if necessary ? It's unfair competition and a restraint of trade.
The other option with Moores? Two wrongs don't make a right

There is a school of thought BRYN that FFP is a way of the big clubs locking down the power base for themselves. As they have the best infrastructure/revenue streams etc. they want to stop others from joining the top table and knocking them off their perch.

Garry Monk welcomes prospect of outside investment at Swansea City as John Moore on 12:03 - Nov 2 with 832 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Garry Monk welcomes prospect of outside investment at Swansea City as John Moore on 10:45 - Nov 2 by waynekerr55

There is a school of thought BRYN that FFP is a way of the big clubs locking down the power base for themselves. As they have the best infrastructure/revenue streams etc. they want to stop others from joining the top table and knocking them off their perch.

Yes that may be true but it would still lead to a more level playing field than we have now is my point. Stop sugar daddy's covering the cost of bad management/transfers etc and clubs would have to live more within their means

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Garry Monk welcomes prospect of outside investment at Swansea City as John Moore on 12:07 - Nov 2 with 826 views_

Spot facking on!!

You're all out of time....the past was yours but the future's mine.
Poll: With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans

Garry Monk welcomes prospect of outside investment at Swansea City as John Moore on 12:19 - Nov 2 with 810 viewsicecoldjack

As far as im concerned this is totally spot on.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024