Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Garry Monk welcomes prospect of outside investment at Swansea City as John Moore 17:26 - Oct 30 with 8078 viewsthomasJack

GARRY Monk reckons Swansea City must look to outside investors if they are to continue to thrive at the top end of the Premier League.

It emerged today that US billionaire John Moores is one of the American businessman who is in talks with Swansea over the possibility of putting money into the club.

Moores' friend, Charles Nowell, has also been named as a potential investor as Swansea seek extra cash to help them compete at the top level.

Swansea's board of directors have so far refused to comment on the names, although they have admitted they are on the lookout for new sources of revenue as they bid to increase their financial muscle.

Chairman Huw Jenkins had originally claimed Swansea were only looking at sponsorhsip and commercial deals, but it is now clear they could be prepared to sell some shares in the club.

And Monk admits Swansea do need extra money if they are to keep pace with the top-flight's heavyweight clubs.

"I just think it's important that we look to push forward as a club," said the Swansea manager.

"One way of doing that is attracting investment and we need to be proactive.

"You need investment to make that step to being an established top-ten club.

"The big clubs will keep getting money in, and it's important for a club like ourselves to make sure we get enough money in to stay on their heels."

Swansea fans have taken pride in the fact that their club has been run primarily by local people since Tony Petty was ousted in 2002.

There are bound to be concerns over what direction Swansea may go in should their ownership change in any way, but Monk has faith in Jenkins and Co.

"For the last 10 or 12 years, the chairman and the board have always made decisions in the best interests of the club," he added.

"I am sure they will keep doing the same. It's not about someone coming in to take over the running of the club, so we just have to trust Huw and the board to make the right decisions.

"They have been very shrewd over the years and that will not change."

Read more: http://www.southwales-eveningpost.co.uk/Garry-Monk-welcomes-prospect-outside-inv
Follow us: @SWEveningPost on Twitter | SWEveningPost on Facebook

Poll: Next signing

Garry Monk welcomes prospect of outside investment at Swansea City as John Moore on 12:21 - Nov 2 with 1047 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Garry Monk welcomes prospect of outside investment at Swansea City as John Moore on 09:57 - Nov 2 by Dr_Winston

No, we don't need investment. We didn't need it five years ago when you were regularly declaring that we'd never make the Premier League without a sugar daddy, and we don't need it now.

We need to hire the best available people to run every part of our club, not toss the job to someone to do part time, to an ex player whose face fits or whoever's brother/husband/son/daughter needs a job.

Nepotism is not the best guarantee of success. Robin Sharpe anyone?

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Garry Monk welcomes prospect of outside investment at Swansea City as John Moore on 12:23 - Nov 2 with 1039 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Garry Monk welcomes prospect of outside investment at Swansea City as John Moore on 12:21 - Nov 2 by Brynmill_Jack

Nepotism is not the best guarantee of success. Robin Sharpe anyone?

Could you provide any fax to support that view?

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Garry Monk welcomes prospect of outside investment at Swansea City as John Moore on 12:30 - Nov 2 with 1021 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Garry Monk welcomes prospect of outside investment at Swansea City as John Moore on 12:23 - Nov 2 by Joe_bradshaw

Could you provide any fax to support that view?

No. Trouble was neither could he

Garry Monk welcomes prospect of outside investment at Swansea City as John Moore on 12:37 - Nov 2 with 999 viewswestx

Garry Monk welcomes prospect of outside investment at Swansea City as John Moore on 09:57 - Nov 2 by Dr_Winston

No, we don't need investment. We didn't need it five years ago when you were regularly declaring that we'd never make the Premier League without a sugar daddy, and we don't need it now.

We need to hire the best available people to run every part of our club, not toss the job to someone to do part time, to an ex player whose face fits or whoever's brother/husband/son/daughter needs a job.

I disagree. We need investment but what we don't need is the shareholders who proclaimed how great they were in the recent film jeopardising the future by getting the investment into their own bank balances

Poll: Would you welcome new owners if the deal was right?

Garry Monk welcomes prospect of outside investment at Swansea City as John Moore on 12:49 - Nov 2 with 981 views_

Garry Monk welcomes prospect of outside investment at Swansea City as John Moore on 10:26 - Nov 2 by perchrockjack

If you re a landlord and looking to increase your income, you look for another house to Invest in. that way increases your income.

Its basic business that if you stand still ,you stagnate .

some of our Supreme Council of Internet Princes believe they know the best way forward. THEY DONT. Frankly, I ll leave it to people better qualified and trust them as opposed to chucking barbs and looking to blocks to progress.

What happened at others clubs is nothing to do with us as we are far better run.

It could be seen as small minded thinking again, the kind of thing that s screwed Swansea as a city- as people have commented on here.

This is a dangerous way of thinking and If posts like his gather more steam then we will all be screwed.

Except it will affect us our whole world while some will just disappear - we can't afford to take that risk.

It's a time for real supporters of Swansea City to stick together and preserve our stake in the club.

Every single one of us would have put in £25k/£50k/£100k or whatever if we had that kind of money through our business ventures. We didn't but instead we all chipped in what we could afford via the Trust.

You can bet some who will be chasing this crazy dream would have put nothing in so beware posters who come on here and try to convince the rest that our stake in the club should be nullified.

You're all out of time....the past was yours but the future's mine.
Poll: With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans

Garry Monk welcomes prospect of outside investment at Swansea City as John Moore on 12:55 - Nov 2 with 969 viewsDr_Winston

Garry Monk welcomes prospect of outside investment at Swansea City as John Moore on 12:37 - Nov 2 by westx

I disagree. We need investment but what we don't need is the shareholders who proclaimed how great they were in the recent film jeopardising the future by getting the investment into their own bank balances

We need to be sure we've exhausted every opportunity to increase our revenues before going cap in hand to others asking them to provide it, if that is actually the reason why we're doing this, which frankly I doubt.

A commercial department that has been fairly shambolic with basically no changes in leadership for over a decade doesn't particularly meet that criteria. I just don't see where we've even tried to improve there.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Garry Monk welcomes prospect of outside investment at Swansea City as John Moore on 13:12 - Nov 2 with 941 viewslibertyx

Exactly. There's plenty of money floating around with a good commercial manager who knows his business, not jobs for the boys as it is at the moment.
We don't need outside investment, with the revenue from Premier League and right commercial links our club is fine.
Garry Monk welcomes prospect of outside investment at Swansea City as John Moore on 13:12 - Nov 2 with 941 viewswaynekerr55

Garry Monk welcomes prospect of outside investment at Swansea City as John Moore on 12:55 - Nov 2 by Dr_Winston

We need to be sure we've exhausted every opportunity to increase our revenues before going cap in hand to others asking them to provide it, if that is actually the reason why we're doing this, which frankly I doubt.

A commercial department that has been fairly shambolic with basically no changes in leadership for over a decade doesn't particularly meet that criteria. I just don't see where we've even tried to improve there.

It would be interesting to see the qualifications and experience of the team, other than being the offspring of the kit lady...

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

Login to get fewer ads

Garry Monk welcomes prospect of outside investment at Swansea City as John Moore on 13:52 - Nov 2 with 906 views_

Garry Monk welcomes prospect of outside investment at Swansea City as John Moore on 13:12 - Nov 2 by libertyx

Exactly. There's plenty of money floating around with a good commercial manager who knows his business, not jobs for the boys as it is at the moment.
We don't need outside investment, with the revenue from Premier League and right commercial links our club is fine.

It's funny how the guy we are pretty much all blaming for our hopeless commercial affairs is the one who's barged in at the back door, re-wrote historyand is seemingly the one ALL OVER this proposed takeover.

Talk about biting the hand that feeds. How galling is that?!

You're all out of time....the past was yours but the future's mine.
Poll: With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans

Garry Monk welcomes prospect of outside investment at Swansea City as John Moore on 13:56 - Nov 2 with 884 viewswestx

Garry Monk welcomes prospect of outside investment at Swansea City as John Moore on 13:52 - Nov 2 by _

It's funny how the guy we are pretty much all blaming for our hopeless commercial affairs is the one who's barged in at the back door, re-wrote historyand is seemingly the one ALL OVER this proposed takeover.

Oh yes, complete fabrication in the film, poor running of the commercial department for years and actively looking for his way out with a massive payday to pay off the mortgage that he had

Poll: Would you welcome new owners if the deal was right?

Garry Monk welcomes prospect of outside investment at Swansea City as John Moore on 13:56 - Nov 2 with 883 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Garry Monk welcomes prospect of outside investment at Swansea City as John Moore on 13:52 - Nov 2 by _

Is that the hapless Motspurs reserve goalie (well ok he had his moments)? Initials LD?

Garry Monk welcomes prospect of outside investment at Swansea City as John Moore on 13:57 - Nov 2 with 882 viewsNeiltheTaylor

It's always a shame when an incompetent manager tries to convince a business that their failure to perform competently is a feature of the business itself rather than their own shortcomings in being able to do their jobs.
[Post edited 2 Nov 2014 13:58]

Joe_bradshaw -I thought the cryochamber was the new name for Cardiff's stadium.

Garry Monk welcomes prospect of outside investment at Swansea City as John Moore on 23:10 - Nov 2 with 796 viewsDavillin

Garry Monk welcomes prospect of outside investment at Swansea City as John Moore on 10:04 - Nov 2 by Parlay

Depends what peoples goals are. If they want to be a champions league club then yes we need investment, we don't have the revenue streams to sustain that by ourselves. Do we need investment to continue as we are? Absolutely not.

I'd choose carrying on as we are with our ethos and methodology rather than handing it over for some fleeting glances at higher positions until the owner decides to move on leaving us in limbo with huge debts and unknown owners coming in with intentions only they are aware of.

We are on to a good thing here but I think blind big club desire may be our downfall. The dog with a bone in his mouth looking obviously at the reflection in the river comes to mind.

That had to be said, and I'm glad you said it well. Thanks.

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

Garry Monk welcomes prospect of outside investment at Swansea City as John Moore on 23:36 - Nov 2 with 776 viewsDavillin

Here's an important point that I believe has not yet been made, and needs to be.

One of the central reasons why we established a supporters trust was to have our own representative on the club board. And he or she was never intended to be a pasteboard dummy, either, but both knowledgeable about all of the business of the club and having voting power, even though not a majority interest.

I have 100% confidence that our Trust director knows everything that's going on [unless there is some fraudulent behaviour by SCFC, which I seriously doubt], and that all of that information is going to the Trust Board as it must. He has no legal or ethical alternative but to keep the Trust Board completely informed.

The Trust Board know what we do not know, but must either surmise, or get from leaks to the media, or from what Dai Silent's brother-in-law heard from a mate at his work. I'm certain that some of that is accurate to one degree or another, but it is not sufficiently accurate for the Trust Board.

The Supporters Trust is absolutely correct in not broadcasting what they know or what their plans are, and in not making the kind of angry comments we have on this message board, and in not insulting or antagonizing the SCFC Board. On this last point, the Trust Board, through our board member absolutely MUST work with the SCFC Board, and that requires professionalism and courtesy.

I have no doubt whatsoever that the Trust Board are doing everything they can legally do, including obtaining expert advice, to prepare for the earthquake with landslide with thermonuclear overtones that well might come their way. They know full well that they will be our representatives on the firing line, and they will be ready.

I would ask that, whatever we feel a need to say about this, we should stop completely any more attacks on the Trust or its officers, as well as on the club Board and its officers. Those are at best, counterproductive, and at worst, destructive.

Try to keep the discussion non-personal and limited to the very important factual issues that we face.

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024