Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Phil Hughes 13:20 - Nov 25 with 2128 viewsCountyJim

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/30189066

Hope he makes full recovery
Phil Hughes on 18:14 - Nov 27 with 689 viewsjacksfullaces

wonder what a few of the quickies will be thinking next time they go for a spell of intimidation.

life can change in the blink of an eye... very sad
Phil Hughes on 13:06 - Nov 28 with 631 viewsBrynmill_Jack

What an awful tragedy. R.I.P. Phil

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Phil Hughes on 13:41 - Nov 28 with 615 viewsNOTRAC

Should the bowling of bouncers be banned in cricket. After all the stumps are only 28inches high, and a bouncer has no intention of being bowled to hit those stumps.

Poll: Has the Europa Cup been worth entering this year?

Phil Hughes on 14:18 - Nov 28 with 601 viewsexiledclaseboy

Phil Hughes on 13:41 - Nov 28 by NOTRAC

Should the bowling of bouncers be banned in cricket. After all the stumps are only 28inches high, and a bouncer has no intention of being bowled to hit those stumps.

And the ball hitting those stumps is only one of many ways of getting a batsman out. Banning bouncers would be a ridiculous overreaction.

Poll: Tory leader

Phil Hughes on 14:33 - Nov 28 with 581 viewsParlay

Half of balls aren't intended to hit the stumps. Many pitch outside to get an edge on the bat for a chance for the slips to catch. A bouncer entices a brave batsman to go for a hook shot which has seen so many miss hits and resultant catches i couldn't begin to list them.

Its a tragic accident that you probably wont see again in your lifetime, not to this extent anyway.

Forum celebrity
Poll: Is £45 a match ticket too high?

Phil Hughes on 14:40 - Nov 28 with 574 viewsWarwickHunt

Verbal, physical and mental intimidation is all part of the game and long may it continue. Bouncers are now strictly controlled by the umpires and batsmen aren't obliged to attack them. Phil Hughes was a typically aggressive and dominating Aussie batsman who suffered a freak, tragic accident. Fast bowlers hate having their bouncers go for boundaries and batsmen love it because it demoralises the bowler and the opposition. People who haven't played the game don't realise the amount of sledging that goes on and the effect it can have. A bouncer is almost always followed by a stare or a comment from someone.

Many catches are taken off short bowling, many wickets are taken when a batsman is expecting a bouncer but gets a slower ball or a yorker. Batsmen can lose their cool after getting one to the body and will often get out trying to hit the next one out of the ground.
It's all part of the mental battle and part of what makes cricket such a great game.

However, I think you'll see more batsmen leaving bouncers alone - for a while anyway...
Phil Hughes on 00:33 - Nov 30 with 487 viewsC_jack

It wasn't the bouncer that was the issue, it was the injury that has been quoted as a '1 in a billion' chance of happening, in that circumstance.

Tragic, freak occurrence.

Poll: Who did you vote for today, in the general election?

Phil Hughes on 00:39 - Nov 30 with 480 viewsAquinas

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-30260842

Israeli umpire killed by a ball yesterday. Strange that it hit the wicket as well before striking him, you'd have thought it would have taken a bit of pace off it.

Didn't know about the welsh umpire five years ago.
Login to get fewer ads

Phil Hughes on 11:58 - Nov 30 with 421 viewsCountyJim

Phil Hughes on 00:39 - Nov 30 by Aquinas

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-30260842

Israeli umpire killed by a ball yesterday. Strange that it hit the wicket as well before striking him, you'd have thought it would have taken a bit of pace off it.

Didn't know about the welsh umpire five years ago.

It was at St Helens RIP
Phil Hughes on 15:04 - Nov 30 with 402 viewsLord_Bony

So sad RIP.

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Phil Hughes on 15:58 - Nov 30 with 375 viewsymaohyd

Found it difficult to watch Michael Clarke yesterday breaking down in the press conference.

Sorry to want to talk about this tragedy in this sense, but a question for those medically in the know.

I read that Phil's death was a result of the ball hitting him in the neck area, right on an artery, splitting it, I believe, with the tragic consequences.

Watching the press conference mentioned above yesterday, when they were showing footage of him playing, I noticed he had an artery down the side of his neck that was very evident and standing out far more than the average person. Would this have ben the artery he was caught on?

Not that I want to dwell on it, however would he have been more likely than most to be at danger from what ultimately happened?

Blog: World Cup Performance = Transfer Speculation?

Phil Hughes on 16:02 - Nov 30 with 374 viewsdickythorpe

I think many sportsmen these days are more leaner and muscular which leads to them having more "vascularity"
Gross example but this is extreme vascularity

Phil Hughes on 16:14 - Nov 30 with 364 viewsymaohyd

Phil Hughes on 16:02 - Nov 30 by dickythorpe

I think many sportsmen these days are more leaner and muscular which leads to them having more "vascularity"
Gross example but this is extreme vascularity

Please don't post personal pictures of me, Phil has highlighted his concerns about personal info being posted!

Blog: World Cup Performance = Transfer Speculation?

Phil Hughes on 16:17 - Nov 30 with 358 viewsdickythorpe

Lol! Stop shaving your chest mun and breath out!!!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024