Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Remainder of the season consolidation? 16:43 - Jan 6 with 6169 viewsParlay

The impact of Bony leaving is going to be huge, it cannot be understated how much this will change our play, even down to our tactical approach. This will be incredibly hard to adjust to and I just hope the fans remain patient with on field matters as this is going to take some adapting. Partnerships and understandings are going to have to be forged over time like Siggy and Bony did.

I think instead of pushing on for top 6, our realistic target now must be just for a mid-table finish with anything higher as a bonus. We have got a lovely cushion in terms of points to cope with losing Bony and hopefully by next season we will be firing on all cylinders with our new starting striker.

Forum celebrity
Poll: Is £45 a match ticket too high?

Remainder of the season consolidation? on 19:22 - Jan 6 with 904 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Remainder of the season consolidation? on 18:24 - Jan 6 by londonlisa2001

there is normally a fairly large gap in points terms by the end of each season somewhere between 5th/6th and 9th/10th though.

Last year, 20 points separated 6th from 10th - that is a huge step up in class.

Over the course of the year, the 'big teams' usually separate off and leave the 'rest'.

Our longer term aspirations will be better served (in my view) by having 3 or 4 quality additions to the squad than 1 player (however great he is). Let's gradually build quality year on year and accept that part of that will be losing from time to time any superstars that we can unearth.

Lisa, I think that there is one contradiction to your idea of 4 good players Vs 1 Exceptional player and that is Liverpool and Saurez.
He practicaly single handidly got them in to contention for the Prem title. let alone a top 4 place with his 31 Goals.
Remainder of the season consolidation? on 19:22 - Jan 6 with 904 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

Remainder of the season consolidation? on 18:48 - Jan 6 by Parlay

No i am not. Im making a factual statement that our season which sees us 4 points off 6th has been severely hampered by continued awful game changing refereeing decisions. Whether we have only performed the the level you deem "top 6" is completely irrelevant.

No your on about top 6 & I am saying we havnt shown much this season performance wise finishing a top 6 team .

You mentioned southampton are odds on to doing it earlier in the thread .

They are twice the size of us.

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

Remainder of the season consolidation? on 19:23 - Jan 6 with 903 viewsnantywatcher

January 6 2015 in my diary - time will tell
I will apologise if I'm wrong, but I think he is over-rated and I do not think the high rollers at Man City will accept his poor work rate very readily, and Pellegrini will have fits at how much possession he gives away every game. I still think as a team we will be more than OK without him.
Remainder of the season consolidation? on 19:24 - Jan 6 with 896 viewsunion_jack

Remainder of the season consolidation? on 19:01 - Jan 6 by Parlay

I remember a similar thread and similar reaction when i suggested we could have a top 10 finish with similar points comparisons and accusations of mental health. I am also sure if you told this board 12 years ago where we would be bow there would be equally ludicrous reactions.

I find it startling that we, well a few of us, have been on this journey over the past decade and still have mental barriers about being able to go any higher.

But i am falling for the trolling trap here and continuing to take about past targets when indeed the thread is about future ones.

It's because if the journey over the last 10 years, or more accurately the time before it that people are realistic as we know what this game can do. I've been part if all the falls and rises over the last 50 years or so and keep my objectives in check to the best if my ability.

I'm just enjoying bite size improvements year on year which 50 + points this year would be.

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Remainder of the season consolidation? on 19:25 - Jan 6 with 891 views3swan

Remainder of the season consolidation? on 19:19 - Jan 6 by skippyjack

Agree with the women and forget my input.. f*cking leaches. Watch yourself Lisa.. I know what they're up to.

Sorry............... agree with the three of you (and anyone else who posts much the same)

Remainder of the season consolidation? on 19:25 - Jan 6 with 901 viewsunion_jack

Remainder of the season consolidation? on 18:57 - Jan 6 by Drizzy

Get your head out of her arse.

Remainder of the season consolidation? on 19:27 - Jan 6 with 888 viewsDarran

Remainder of the season consolidation? on 19:23 - Jan 6 by nantywatcher

January 6 2015 in my diary - time will tell
I will apologise if I'm wrong, but I think he is over-rated and I do not think the high rollers at Man City will accept his poor work rate very readily, and Pellegrini will have fits at how much possession he gives away every game. I still think as a team we will be more than OK without him.

Well it's a crazy thing to say but he's going to have to work harder and finish better at Man City than he's done for us.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Remainder of the season consolidation? on 19:32 - Jan 6 with 860 viewsParlay

Remainder of the season consolidation? on 19:22 - Jan 6 by oh_tommy_tommy

No your on about top 6 & I am saying we havnt shown much this season performance wise finishing a top 6 team .

You mentioned southampton are odds on to doing it earlier in the thread .

They are twice the size of us.

Im not on about top 6 at all, i said it was an AIM, you know, being 4 points behind it and all. Aims do not mean expectations, they are a ceiling you aspire to.

Size of club? What do you mean by that? When i said smaller teams i meant not the top 4 clubs with £20m players in every position. Size of club outside of the big group counts for little.

Leeds are bigger than us too and we are a league above them. Southamptons team is not too dissimilar to ours in terms of quality. Fernandez, Bony, Gylfi and Montero would stroll into their side with no questions asked.

Forum celebrity

Login to get fewer ads

Remainder of the season consolidation? on 19:33 - Jan 6 with 856 viewslondonlisa2001

Remainder of the season consolidation? on 19:22 - Jan 6 by A_Fans_Dad

Lisa, I think that there is one contradiction to your idea of 4 good players Vs 1 Exceptional player and that is Liverpool and Saurez.
He practicaly single handidly got them in to contention for the Prem title. let alone a top 4 place with his 31 Goals.

I agree that he single handedly did that - I don't think there are many that could however, and I don't think Bony is at that level (albeit that you could argue that he got us the point at QPR that others couldn't). I'm not sure he is a real game changer for us in general albeit that he is a great player for us. Aguero has been playing like that recently and I think Hazard does as well from time to time. Bale and Ronaldo the same.

They truly are exceptional talents though aren't they?

We have had them though - I would argue that Trundle could do that (at his level) in League 1.
Remainder of the season consolidation? on 19:33 - Jan 6 with 855 viewsPozuelosSideys

At the end of the day, I want to see the best players in the world play for the club i support.

I can understand the money side of things and why we need to sell, but i doubt we'll see a striker of that calibre for a while, if ever again.

The fact we will have to consolidate and take the hit (and we will finish the season poorly now imo although no chance of going down) is disappointing. Its been a great first half to the season, yet again we sell off the family silver.

The team comes first.

"Michu, Britton and Williams could have won 3-0 on their own. They wouldn't have required a keeper."
Poll: Hattricks

Remainder of the season consolidation? on 19:37 - Jan 6 with 827 views3swan

Remainder of the season consolidation? on 19:33 - Jan 6 by PozuelosSideys

At the end of the day, I want to see the best players in the world play for the club i support.

I can understand the money side of things and why we need to sell, but i doubt we'll see a striker of that calibre for a while, if ever again.

The fact we will have to consolidate and take the hit (and we will finish the season poorly now imo although no chance of going down) is disappointing. Its been a great first half to the season, yet again we sell off the family silver.

The team comes first.

Are we selling the family silver?

From day 1 Wilf has been honest that he wanted to play Champions league.

Do we turn down the reported offer and keep what could be an unsettled player?
Remainder of the season consolidation? on 19:37 - Jan 6 with 826 viewsunion_jack

Remainder of the season consolidation? on 19:33 - Jan 6 by PozuelosSideys

The team comes first.

I'd argue that the club comes first. We need to capitalism on the likes of Bony for the longer term benefit if the club.

Of course, any receipts need to be used wisely and we don't have any complaints on that issue so far.

Remainder of the season consolidation? on 19:37 - Jan 6 with 826 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Remainder of the season consolidation? on 19:33 - Jan 6 by londonlisa2001

I agree that he single handedly did that - I don't think there are many that could however, and I don't think Bony is at that level (albeit that you could argue that he got us the point at QPR that others couldn't). I'm not sure he is a real game changer for us in general albeit that he is a great player for us. Aguero has been playing like that recently and I think Hazard does as well from time to time. Bale and Ronaldo the same.

They truly are exceptional talents though aren't they?

We have had them though - I would argue that Trundle could do that (at his level) in League 1.

Finding another one of that ability would be very difficult, although Beharino looks in the same mould.
Remainder of the season consolidation? on 19:41 - Jan 6 with 812 viewsParlay

Remainder of the season consolidation? on 19:24 - Jan 6 by union_jack

It's because if the journey over the last 10 years, or more accurately the time before it that people are realistic as we know what this game can do. I've been part if all the falls and rises over the last 50 years or so and keep my objectives in check to the best if my ability.

I'm just enjoying bite size improvements year on year which 50 + points this year would be.

So 25 points per 19 games?

We are on 29 points after 20 games with a hatful stolen by refs. Even if we say we would have got 4 extra points, even though it would be a hell of a lot more than that, that would put us on 33 points and well on course for 60+ if we kept the same form of our past 20 games.

60+ points is challenging for top 6.

Forum celebrity

Remainder of the season consolidation? on 19:45 - Jan 6 with 798 viewsDarran

Remainder of the season consolidation? on 19:37 - Jan 6 by A_Fans_Dad

Finding another one of that ability would be very difficult, although Beharino looks in the same mould.

Beharino won't come to us he won't get selected for England mun.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Remainder of the season consolidation? on 19:49 - Jan 6 with 786 viewsunion_jack

Remainder of the season consolidation? on 19:41 - Jan 6 by Parlay

So 25 points per 19 games?

We are on 29 points after 20 games with a hatful stolen by refs. Even if we say we would have got 4 extra points, even though it would be a hell of a lot more than that, that would put us on 33 points and well on course for 60+ if we kept the same form of our past 20 games.

60+ points is challenging for top 6.

Indeed. But I'd argue that the second half of the season is harder than the first with limited quality playing staff, injuries, suspensions, fatigue will all play their part.

Remainder of the season consolidation? on 20:03 - Jan 6 with 761 viewsParlay

Remainder of the season consolidation? on 19:49 - Jan 6 by union_jack

Indeed. But I'd argue that the second half of the season is harder than the first with limited quality playing staff, injuries, suspensions, fatigue will all play their part.

They will play a part with everybody outside the big guns.

My point being is 60 points is not ridiculously out of the question at all, proving at least, that it is a good marker to aim for. Or at least would have been. The way some are talking as if we are suggesting winning the league.

If 60 points is challenging for top 6 and we are on course right now for 57 ish points... Then it comes clear that it is not so daft afterall

Forum celebrity

Remainder of the season consolidation? on 20:11 - Jan 6 with 741 viewsPozuelosSideys

Remainder of the season consolidation? on 19:37 - Jan 6 by 3swan

Are we selling the family silver?

From day 1 Wilf has been honest that he wanted to play Champions league.

Do we turn down the reported offer and keep what could be an unsettled player?

Well we're selling our best player and most valuable asset. As it stands hes worth more than our actual stadium.

Although, if an offer of £35m came in for him, id have no complaints whatsoever (the board got £22m for Sinclair and Allen, so id be disappointed with anything less than that) that we got an excellnt deal

But i just dislike losing our best players all the time. Happens to everyone i suppose.

"Michu, Britton and Williams could have won 3-0 on their own. They wouldn't have required a keeper."

Remainder of the season consolidation? on 20:13 - Jan 6 with 735 viewsPozuelosSideys

Remainder of the season consolidation? on 19:37 - Jan 6 by union_jack

I'd argue that the club comes first. We need to capitalism on the likes of Bony for the longer term benefit if the club.

Of course, any receipts need to be used wisely and we don't have any complaints on that issue so far.

Aye. i absolutely agree.

But theres absolutely no way we can guarantee that cash will be used wisely (could sign utter crocks) and will it go to Monk to improve the squad? Or will it go on the stadium? Or will it go in somebodies pocket?

At least we'll be slightly less attractive now for an investor looking for a quick buck on saleable assets.

Remainder of the season consolidation? on 20:20 - Jan 6 with 720 viewsC_jack

Top 6 is nowhere near 60 points, you're looking more at 65, and probably towards 70 in some years.

It ain;t and never was happening. Especially with 2 wins on the road so far.

Poll: Who did you vote for today, in the general election?

Remainder of the season consolidation? on 20:25 - Jan 6 with 701 viewsParlay

Remainder of the season consolidation? on 20:20 - Jan 6 by C_jack

Top 6 is nowhere near 60 points, you're looking more at 65, and probably towards 70 in some years.

It ain;t and never was happening. Especially with 2 wins on the road so far.

29/20 = 1.45 pts per game

1.45 x 38 = 55.1 points

10 points short of what you claim to be top 6 material.

3 wins and a draw. Which is probably the amount we have been screwed over by refs. To say picking up and extra 3 wins is pie in the sky is just stupid.

It would have been a perfectly acceptable ceiling to aim for, not expect remember, aim for. And still will be if Wilf stays.
[Post edited 6 Jan 2015 20:27]

Forum celebrity

Remainder of the season consolidation? on 20:36 - Jan 6 with 676 viewsC_jack

Remainder of the season consolidation? on 20:25 - Jan 6 by Parlay

1.45 x 38 = 55.1 points

3 wins and a draw. Which is probably the amount we have been screwed over by refs. To say picking up and extra 3 wins is pie in the sky is just stupid.

It would have been a perfectly acceptable ceiling to aim for, not expect remember, aim for. And still will be if Wilf stays.

You're not really thinking about it.

We have the likes of Chelsea, United, City, Liverpool all to play at home, all at a time when they traditionally are going for titles/top 4 places, and we are sitting on the proverbial beach.

20 points from 29 have come at the Liberty. That return is inevitably going to dip, with some tough games coming up. Is our away form going to improve enough to compensate for that? highly unlikely, especially as we're going to be playing some teams scrapping for survival.

Football does not work in the nice and neat, linear manner that you describe.

Poll: Who did you vote for today, in the general election?

Remainder of the season consolidation? on 20:37 - Jan 6 with 673 viewslondonlisa2001

Remainder of the season consolidation? on 20:25 - Jan 6 by Parlay

1.45 x 38 = 55.1 points

On one hand you are arguing that it is simply an aim not an expectation and on the other hand you are arguing that the aim itself changes by a player leaving.
Remainder of the season consolidation? on 20:45 - Jan 6 with 647 viewsmonmouth

You think we would win 12 games out of 18 if Bony stayed? Rightio.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Remainder of the season consolidation? on 20:52 - Jan 6 with 621 viewsParlay

Remainder of the season consolidation? on 20:37 - Jan 6 by londonlisa2001

On one hand you are arguing that it is simply an aim not an expectation and on the other hand you are arguing that the aim itself changes by a player leaving.

Correct.

Im not entirely sure what you are citing there.

An aim should be a ceiling you can realistically achieve, the maximum best you could do within reason. We are on target for 55 points right this second. You said that you needed 63points to challenge for top 6. Thats 8 extra points over 18 games. Less than 3 wins.

Our star player is about to leave and we will now probably not pick up points at the same rate as we have done which means we will now have to adjust our aim accordingly.

Not sure what is so confusing.

Forum celebrity

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024