Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Vegetarians 16:27 - Jan 15 with 2938 viewsCountyJim

Not take the mick or anything but few questions

First do you ever crave say a bacon buttie

Why did you become a veggie was it health reasons or animal welfare

And can you eat chickens eggs and it must be hard to pick out non meat products such as sweets etc
Vegetarians on 16:32 - Jan 15 with 2927 viewsDarran

"Can you eat chickens eggs"

Honestly WTF?

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Vegetarians on 16:34 - Jan 15 with 2925 viewsCountyJim

Vegetarians on 16:32 - Jan 15 by Darran

"Can you eat chickens eggs"

Honestly WTF?

http://vegetarian.about.com/od/vegetarianfaqs/qt/Are-Eggs-Vegetarian.htm

Well apparently not a daft question it is a cause for debate in the Veggie world

So do one scruffbag
Vegetarians on 16:37 - Jan 15 with 2921 viewsCountyJim

And remember Nana on the Royle Family

"What about a very thin slice of ham "
Vegetarians on 16:37 - Jan 15 with 2920 viewsDarran

Vegetarians on 16:34 - Jan 15 by CountyJim

http://vegetarian.about.com/od/vegetarianfaqs/qt/Are-Eggs-Vegetarian.htm

Well apparently not a daft question it is a cause for debate in the Veggie world

So do one scruffbag

F*cking nonsense Fatty.
[Post edited 15 Jan 2015 16:41]

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Vegetarians on 16:45 - Jan 15 with 2909 viewsLeonisGod

I know vegetarians who eat eggs and lots of them. But they're not good to be around in confined spaces.
Vegetarians on 16:47 - Jan 15 with 2902 viewsCountyJim

Vegetarians on 16:37 - Jan 15 by Darran

F*cking nonsense Fatty.
[Post edited 15 Jan 2015 16:41]

Im glad you corrected your spelling Fopaux

Thicko
Vegetarians on 17:08 - Jan 15 with 2868 viewsVetchitBack

1) Only when hungover

2) Animal Wellfsre

3) You can if you don't you'd be a Vegan is my personal answer.

4) Very true I've recently witnessed Halal Haribo.

The orthodox are always orthodox, regardless of the orthodoxy.

Vegetarians on 17:11 - Jan 15 with 2853 viewsJackfath

Vegetarians on 17:08 - Jan 15 by VetchitBack

1) Only when hungover

2) Animal Wellfsre

3) You can if you don't you'd be a Vegan is my personal answer.

4) Very true I've recently witnessed Halal Haribo.

Are Halal Haribo meat free?

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Login to get fewer ads

Vegetarians on 17:12 - Jan 15 with 2857 viewsVetchitBack

Vegetarians on 17:11 - Jan 15 by Jackfath

Are Halal Haribo meat free?

No just slaughtered "correctly"

Vegetarians on 17:21 - Jan 15 with 2841 viewsJackfath

Vegetarians on 17:12 - Jan 15 by VetchitBack

So Halal Haribo aren't suitable for vegetarians?

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.

Vegetarians on 17:26 - Jan 15 with 2839 viewsVetchitBack

Vegetarians on 17:21 - Jan 15 by Jackfath

So Halal Haribo aren't suitable for vegetarians?

No. Quite a strange concept isn't it.

Vegetarians on 17:29 - Jan 15 with 2823 viewsJackfath

Vegetarians on 17:26 - Jan 15 by VetchitBack

No. Quite a strange concept isn't it.

Not really.

Vegetarians on 20:25 - Jan 15 with 2738 viewsSweyns_Eye

Lots of sweets have gelatin so not suitable for vegetarians.

"After the war is over I'm going to buy a British radio set - then at least I'll own something that has always worked". Hermann Goring, 1943.
Poll: How long do you think Monk will last managing Leeds?

Vegetarians on 20:43 - Jan 15 with 2713 viewsjackb

Birds trifle is veggie friendly now too
Vegetarians on 23:11 - Jan 15 with 2653 viewsSCB1985

Vegetarians on 20:25 - Jan 15 by Sweyns_Eye

Lots of sweets have gelatin so not suitable for vegetarians.

I wonder if any Muslim shop keepers have a sly handful of sweets. Most contain pork gelatin. Not many people realise what sweets contain, they be shocked.

I don't eat beef due to walfare reasons, I think they are too large to be properly handled humanly.

Full veggies would slate me for being a semi veggie, however I do care for walfare. I only buy free range.
I love lamb and only buy Welsh, due to live transportation newzeeland lamb would be extremely cruel.

As for craving every time I have Chinese I crave crispy beef, but don't give in to my cravings. As for sweets the gelatin is just a biproduct .

Poll: whats more important to you

Vegetarians on 08:06 - Jan 16 with 2611 viewsBanosswan

Vegetarians on 17:12 - Jan 15 by VetchitBack

They read a prayer before slaughtering those little bears.

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

Vegetarians on 10:28 - Jan 16 with 2572 viewsScotia

My Mrs is a veggie. I totally respect her wishes, but to be honest it is a huge pain in the arse.
Sweets and all sorts of stuff are off limits, but the craziest thing is that until recently, she could eat chicken or Beef flavour crisps but not Cheese and Onion or Salt and Vinegar.
Vegetarians on 19:11 - Jan 16 with 2517 viewsphact0rri

1) I was never on the bacon even when I wasn't a vegan. I thought it was like eating fried salt. And I can't really think of any cravings... that I've had but then again I been almost 20 year now.

2) Animal welfare/politics. Lets hope this isn't about taking a piss on us.

3) I can. Its a choice that has me obstain from it.

4) When I first went vegan back in the 90's finding foods was not easy. Most of it was making your own stuff if you wanted it. But now... there are vegan cookies, and cakes and candies in the grocer's market!

Poll: Should EPL Refrees hold Post-Match Interviews

Vegetarians on 20:36 - Jan 16 with 2478 viewsTycoch_Tyrant

Vegetarians on 19:11 - Jan 16 by phact0rri

1) I was never on the bacon even when I wasn't a vegan. I thought it was like eating fried salt. And I can't really think of any cravings... that I've had but then again I been almost 20 year now.

2) Animal welfare/politics. Lets hope this isn't about taking a piss on us.

3) I can. Its a choice that has me obstain from it.

4) When I first went vegan back in the 90's finding foods was not easy. Most of it was making your own stuff if you wanted it. But now... there are vegan cookies, and cakes and candies in the grocer's market!

Can you explain the politics side of your choice? If you don't mind of course
Vegetarians on 22:34 - Jan 16 with 2447 viewsphact0rri

Vegetarians on 20:36 - Jan 16 by Tycoch_Tyrant

Can you explain the politics side of your choice? If you don't mind of course

I'm supportive of animal rights, and look to give more protections to animals within the farming space. I lobby and protest for more guidelines in non-human protections and support the complete dismantling of the factory farm complex. I dislike force breeding for companion animals, the unneeded and redundant testing for science (like 50/50 tests), and I believe in education and outreach more so than badgering people with violent photographs and all that stupidity.

This is of course the cliffnotes-- but I'm not a member of any of the welfarist groups, I instead believe in the need for wholesale changes with how animals are looked at. I think the biggest issue is the way people see animals as "things" or "property" that can be bought and sold, much like an Auto. And I like to look at how people view animals and non-humans and how this idea of empathy can be looked at as way make positive changes.

Vegetarians on 17:34 - Jan 19 with 2375 viewsTycoch_Tyrant

Vegetarians on 22:34 - Jan 16 by phact0rri

I'm supportive of animal rights, and look to give more protections to animals within the farming space. I lobby and protest for more guidelines in non-human protections and support the complete dismantling of the factory farm complex. I dislike force breeding for companion animals, the unneeded and redundant testing for science (like 50/50 tests), and I believe in education and outreach more so than badgering people with violent photographs and all that stupidity.

This is of course the cliffnotes-- but I'm not a member of any of the welfarist groups, I instead believe in the need for wholesale changes with how animals are looked at. I think the biggest issue is the way people see animals as "things" or "property" that can be bought and sold, much like an Auto. And I like to look at how people view animals and non-humans and how this idea of empathy can be looked at as way make positive changes.

Ok I'll let you know my personal perspective - I am coming to the end of my veterinary training and am supportive of animal welfare. I have previously tried vegetarianism and was one for a couple of years, at the moment I am not. Mind if I ask a few more questions/discuss? Mostly 'cos I'm interested… and it's always good to challenge your personal opinions as at the moment I work in a very scientifically-based environment; this can skew opinions etc.

1. What do you mean by animal rights?

2. What do you mean by factory farming? Is there a point where farm turns into factory farm, or do you mean all farms?

3. Force breeding - can you explain further?

4. The 50/50 test - are you referring to the ED50 and LD50?

I agree fully over the badgering people with violent photographs. I consider myself relatively well educated on this subject but find such leaflets to go further than simply being ignorant to being deliberate propaganda - I can usually literally point to the mistakes sentence by sentence. I don't think this helps either side of the debate, I'll try and find an example if you want.
Vegetarians on 07:18 - Jan 20 with 2315 viewsphact0rri

Vegetarians on 17:34 - Jan 19 by Tycoch_Tyrant

Ok I'll let you know my personal perspective - I am coming to the end of my veterinary training and am supportive of animal welfare. I have previously tried vegetarianism and was one for a couple of years, at the moment I am not. Mind if I ask a few more questions/discuss? Mostly 'cos I'm interested… and it's always good to challenge your personal opinions as at the moment I work in a very scientifically-based environment; this can skew opinions etc.

2. What do you mean by factory farming? Is there a point where farm turns into factory farm, or do you mean all farms?

I agree fully over the badgering people with violent photographs. I consider myself relatively well educated on this subject but find such leaflets to go further than simply being ignorant to being deliberate propaganda - I can usually literally point to the mistakes sentence by sentence. I don't think this helps either side of the debate, I'll try and find an example if you want.

Thats fine mate. Honestly I am very opinionated on the subject and have a lot of views. Some personal feelings and others based on facts. But when I discuss such things I tend to like to talk about the facts. Feelings have no place in a debate. Its why one shys away from talking to people about politiccs and religion because to often thats what it is.

but I'll try to answer your questions to my best ability.

Animal rights depicts the margin of quality every natural creature should be afforded. For example, to have the ability to access its own needs(food/water/etc). To have access to the sun if a diural creature. The ability to take care of its young. The ability to defend itself against preditors. A margin of comfort based on its natural living environ. Things like this.

In short the idea is that every creature has a right to a margin of life roughly equivalent to the majority of its kind in the wild.

A factory farm is a large scale animal processing plant. The term "factory" indicates a large scale creation of product. So its not a small farm where your housing 500 head of cattle. But were talking more in the range of 12,000+ cattle. It gets worse when you realize that due to the constriction of farm land to host such large numbers problems arise. These facilities are also less about caring for animals and more about drumming out as much product as they can which in turn means that the people who work and run these places are looking at numbers and statistics of product. And not so much thinking of animals as living breathing creatures. which I believe is part of the problem and why things have gotten so bad.

Forced breeding practices are having animals mate not of their own free will. And where this has been done for centuries. The problem comes when they are outputting more creatures than is at all natural and this creates problems of over population. The best example to look for more information would probably be "Puppy Mills"

yeah I tend to lot the ED50 and LD50 into one, which I think a lot of people do.

Thanks for being curious btw. :)

Re. Vegetarians on 16:33 - Jan 20 with 2276 viewsTycoch_Tyrant

Vegetarians on 07:18 - Jan 20 by phact0rri

Thats fine mate. Honestly I am very opinionated on the subject and have a lot of views. Some personal feelings and others based on facts. But when I discuss such things I tend to like to talk about the facts. Feelings have no place in a debate. Its why one shys away from talking to people about politiccs and religion because to often thats what it is.

but I'll try to answer your questions to my best ability.

Animal rights depicts the margin of quality every natural creature should be afforded. For example, to have the ability to access its own needs(food/water/etc). To have access to the sun if a diural creature. The ability to take care of its young. The ability to defend itself against preditors. A margin of comfort based on its natural living environ. Things like this.

In short the idea is that every creature has a right to a margin of life roughly equivalent to the majority of its kind in the wild.

A factory farm is a large scale animal processing plant. The term "factory" indicates a large scale creation of product. So its not a small farm where your housing 500 head of cattle. But were talking more in the range of 12,000+ cattle. It gets worse when you realize that due to the constriction of farm land to host such large numbers problems arise. These facilities are also less about caring for animals and more about drumming out as much product as they can which in turn means that the people who work and run these places are looking at numbers and statistics of product. And not so much thinking of animals as living breathing creatures. which I believe is part of the problem and why things have gotten so bad.

Forced breeding practices are having animals mate not of their own free will. And where this has been done for centuries. The problem comes when they are outputting more creatures than is at all natural and this creates problems of over population. The best example to look for more information would probably be "Puppy Mills"

yeah I tend to lot the ED50 and LD50 into one, which I think a lot of people do.

Thanks for being curious btw. :)

Thanks for agreeing to talk - this topic is so wide and so emotive that a lot of people stay away from it altogether!

1. Animal rights - what then would you say is the distinction between animal rights and welfare? Correct me if I'm wrong but you seem to be describing more of a welfare-based point of view rather than going down the more hardline view of animals rights being considered completely equal to that of humans. You also raise an interesting point over the 'ability to care for its young' - what then is your opinion on dairy farming whereby calves are nearly always taken from their dams within a short period of birth?

2. Ok I'm going to be a bit devil's advocate on this point. How many farms of various sizes have you visited? It's a personal and not scientific view point but as part of my studies I have been to a lot of farms. I have noticed that quite often you go to a small farm where the farmer still names his cattle etc. etc… however, due to lack of funding caused by small size welfare standard are actually pretty shoddy - that is determined by objective measures of welfare. However, when you go to a farm of over 1000 cattle or (personal experience) 1,000,000 hens the level of funding afforded by size means that their welfare requirements are very precisely managed. there is a saying that you don't get good productivity without good welfare, to what extent would you agree/disagree with this?

3. I have no issue to raise with puppy farming, I think animal welfarists and ARA's can get equally angry over this!

4. Sorry further questioning! Do you disagree with ED/LD50 in principle, or particular usages of it?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024