Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
100 days to the General Election 18:25 - Jan 25 with 1957 viewsdickythorpe

I don't see a clear winner as I think those that will bother to vote may look at alternatives to what they usually vote.

Could someone far more knowledgable than me go through the "runners and riders" as it were?

Plus do you think Plaid will gain more than the 3 seats they have?
100 days to the General Election on 19:36 - Jan 25 with 1211 viewsexiledclaseboy

Runners and riders will be the usual suspects with the addition of UKIP as more of a pull this time round.

Hung parliament with Labour as the largest party looks nailed on at the moment. Plaid won't get any more than their current three, if they manage to hang on to those.

Poll: Tory leader

100 days to the General Election on 19:49 - Jan 25 with 1191 viewsJackfath

I voted Green last time I was able.

After reading this thread, should I reconsider voting Green once more?

http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/forum/137137/natalie-bennet-%2

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

100 days to the General Election on 19:51 - Jan 25 with 1185 viewsexiledclaseboy

100 days to the General Election on 19:49 - Jan 25 by Jackfath

I voted Green last time I was able.

After reading this thread, should I reconsider voting Green once more?

http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/forum/137137/natalie-bennet-%2

Much like UKIP, the Greens' policies won't stand up to any kind of serious scrutiny.

100 days to the General Election on 19:52 - Jan 25 with 1181 viewsdickythorpe

The Respect party has 1 seat. I'd like them in the debates. Galloway is threatening legal action after his party hasn't been invited to the debates.
100 days to the General Election on 19:56 - Jan 25 with 1178 viewsexiledclaseboy

100 days to the General Election on 19:52 - Jan 25 by dickythorpe

The Respect party has 1 seat. I'd like them in the debates. Galloway is threatening legal action after his party hasn't been invited to the debates.

So are all the Northern Ireland parties. F*ck 'em.

100 days to the General Election on 19:58 - Jan 25 with 1175 viewsLohengrin

100 days to the General Election on 19:51 - Jan 25 by exiledclaseboy

Much like UKIP, the Greens' policies won't stand up to any kind of serious scrutiny.

Which does beg the question where exactly the Lab-Con stand on any of the issues that concern working people? I've heard the soundbites, certainly, but they amount to little more than inane platitudes. As an interested observer all I've really witnessed in the last fifteen years or so have been a procession of shabby non-entities in red and blue rosettes floundering in the wake of events.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

100 days to the General Election on 19:59 - Jan 25 with 1172 viewsmonmouth

Leanne Wood will come across very well in the TV debate and Plaid will sweep Blaena (festiniog and maes). Count on it.

Seriously I think the TV, if it goes ahead, will do her a lot of good, particularly in comparison to the mad Sturgy, the discredited Cleggy, whiney Milliband and the horrendous Cameroon. Farago unfortunately will win the 'debate' by not debating but appealing to the worst instincts of the lowest common denominator, and railroading every important discussion into the European and immigration siding.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

100 days to the General Election on 20:01 - Jan 25 with 1171 viewsexiledclaseboy

100 days to the General Election on 19:58 - Jan 25 by Lohengrin

Which does beg the question where exactly the Lab-Con stand on any of the issues that concern working people? I've heard the soundbites, certainly, but they amount to little more than inane platitudes. As an interested observer all I've really witnessed in the last fifteen years or so have been a procession of shabby non-entities in red and blue rosettes floundering in the wake of events.

The info will be out there in the run up to polling day. It always is, the manifestos are usually pretty detailed. The problem is that the populace is so jaded by the whole process that no one bothers to look at them and then just whine that no one knows what anyone stands for. The debates will help, they were widely watched last time around.

Login to get fewer ads

100 days to the General Election on 20:01 - Jan 25 with 1169 viewsLohengrin

100 days to the General Election on 19:59 - Jan 25 by monmouth

Leanne Wood will come across very well in the TV debate and Plaid will sweep Blaena (festiniog and maes). Count on it.

Seriously I think the TV, if it goes ahead, will do her a lot of good, particularly in comparison to the mad Sturgy, the discredited Cleggy, whiney Milliband and the horrendous Cameroon. Farago unfortunately will win the 'debate' by not debating but appealing to the worst instincts of the lowest common denominator, and railroading every important discussion into the European and immigration siding.

"I think he knows what Rome is. Rome is the mob."

100 days to the General Election on 20:03 - Jan 25 with 1166 viewsexiledclaseboy

100 days to the General Election on 19:59 - Jan 25 by monmouth

I quite like Nicola Sturgeon. I've no idea why she attracts such hostility.

100 days to the General Election on 20:04 - Jan 25 with 1163 viewsdickythorpe

100 days to the General Election on 19:56 - Jan 25 by exiledclaseboy

So are all the Northern Ireland parties. F*ck 'em.

But we need to see all parties that are out there ECB that is why the populace is jaded with it all.
Same old faces and arguments with Labour v Conservatives
100 days to the General Election on 20:05 - Jan 25 with 1161 viewsexiledclaseboy

100 days to the General Election on 20:01 - Jan 25 by Lohengrin

"I think he knows what Rome is. Rome is the mob."

I expected that to be a quote from one of the classicists. But no, Derek Jacobi in Gladiator. A different kind of classicist I suppose.

100 days to the General Election on 20:06 - Jan 25 with 1159 viewsLohengrin

100 days to the General Election on 20:01 - Jan 25 by exiledclaseboy

The info will be out there in the run up to polling day. It always is, the manifestos are usually pretty detailed. The problem is that the populace is so jaded by the whole process that no one bothers to look at them and then just whine that no one knows what anyone stands for. The debates will help, they were widely watched last time around.

There's a reason people are jaded, a good one.

We ought to have a look at the Labour and Conservative manifestos when the time comes and run a pool on which of the main pledges the eventual winner reneges on first.

100 days to the General Election on 20:08 - Jan 25 with 1157 viewsexiledclaseboy

100 days to the General Election on 20:04 - Jan 25 by dickythorpe

But we need to see all parties that are out there ECB that is why the populace is jaded with it all.
Same old faces and arguments with Labour v Conservatives

No point having the NI parties there. They don't stand candidates on the mainland and the mainland parties don't stand candidates in NI. They just need to debate among themselves, which I've no doubt they will.

Galloway has far more of a claim than they do. But the whole thing will be mental enough with the array of ugly nationalism that will be on display from Farage and the Scots/Welsh nats.

100 days to the General Election on 20:08 - Jan 25 with 1157 viewsJackfath

Am I right in thinking the manifestos are long winded and wrtten so the majority of the public are unable to read and decipher what the heack they mean?

Is there a dumbed down version available so we can all understand and make a reasoned judgement call?

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.

100 days to the General Election on 20:10 - Jan 25 with 1152 viewsexiledclaseboy

100 days to the General Election on 20:06 - Jan 25 by Lohengrin

There's a reason people are jaded, a good one.

We ought to have a look at the Labour and Conservative manifestos when the time comes and run a pool on which of the main pledges the eventual winner reneges on first.

I agree with your first point. At the risk of banging on, the electoral system doesn't help either. As much as I despise Farage and pretty much everything he stands for, his party could poll 20% of the votes in May and still end up with very few or even no seats. That's just not right I'm afraid.

Policy pledges generally start being dropped when the civil service gets hold of them and points out how unworkable most of them are.

100 days to the General Election on 20:11 - Jan 25 with 1145 viewsexiledclaseboy

100 days to the General Election on 20:08 - Jan 25 by Jackfath

Am I right in thinking the manifestos are long winded and wrtten so the majority of the public are unable to read and decipher what the heack they mean?

Is there a dumbed down version available so we can all understand and make a reasoned judgement call?

No, these days manifestos are very accessible and written in about as plain English as you're going to get.

100 days to the General Election on 20:12 - Jan 25 with 1143 viewsLohengrin

100 days to the General Election on 20:05 - Jan 25 by exiledclaseboy

I expected that to be a quote from one of the classicists. But no, Derek Jacobi in Gladiator. A different kind of classicist I suppose.

It was. That's a quote from Tiberius Gracchus handed down by Plutarch. That it found its way onto a film script is testament to one of the researchers having done his job properly.

100 days to the General Election on 20:12 - Jan 25 with 1143 viewsdickythorpe

How have Sinn Fein got 5 seats then? I think someone explained it but alas I have forgotten. Sorry.
100 days to the General Election on 20:13 - Jan 25 with 1141 viewsJackfath

100 days to the General Election on 20:11 - Jan 25 by exiledclaseboy

No, these days manifestos are very accessible and written in about as plain English as you're going to get.

That's good news.

They should now also let people vote at the checkouts in supermarkets etc or make it against the law not to vote.

100 days to the General Election on 20:14 - Jan 25 with 1137 viewsdickythorpe

100 days to the General Election on 20:12 - Jan 25 by dickythorpe

How have Sinn Fein got 5 seats then? I think someone explained it but alas I have forgotten. Sorry.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2014/10/will-sinn-fein-mps-take-their-seats

This kind of explains it.....but why put themselves forward if they aren't going to take part if a seat is won
100 days to the General Election on 20:15 - Jan 25 with 1136 viewsexiledclaseboy

100 days to the General Election on 20:12 - Jan 25 by dickythorpe

They stand candidates for the UK parliament In Northern Ireland constituencies but don't take their seats because they refuse to swear allegiance to the Queen.

100 days to the General Election on 20:16 - Jan 25 with 1135 viewsdickythorpe

100 days to the General Election on 20:13 - Jan 25 by Jackfath

That's good news.

They should now also let people vote at the checkouts in supermarkets etc or make it against the law not to vote.

Surely an "APP" would be the way forward
100 days to the General Election on 20:16 - Jan 25 with 1132 viewsexiledclaseboy

100 days to the General Election on 20:12 - Jan 25 by Lohengrin

It was. That's a quote from Tiberius Gracchus handed down by Plutarch. That it found its way onto a film script is testament to one of the researchers having done his job properly.

Excellent. That's the new thing I've learned today. I like it when that happens.

100 days to the General Election on 20:17 - Jan 25 with 1132 viewsdickythorpe

100 days to the General Election on 20:15 - Jan 25 by exiledclaseboy

They stand candidates for the UK parliament In Northern Ireland constituencies but don't take their seats because they refuse to swear allegiance to the Queen.

Thank you ECB
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024