Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Official Statement on Jack Swan Cover in issue #34 10:41 - Feb 25 with 4480 viewsJackSwanTV

Official Jack Swan Statement

Well this is a first…….. First of all, Jack Swan magazine is different to any other media in and around Swansea. We don’t put together a safe magazine which is catered for everyone. We do push boundaries and that is its appeal, whether it’s the jokes, the covers or its content; we want to be different to the others; and we are and that has what has made it so popular with some people and unpopular with others. I’m perfectly aware of that, which is its design.

The magazine is designed to start discussion. The places where we leave the magazines; pubs, clubs, cafes are the very places where debates and discussions should occur. This front cover is designed to start discussions and it seems to have done that before we have even got the magazine back from the printers. In fact, we had more online hits yesterday than what we had in the previous month; such is the interest in this issue and its front cover. I expected it to be somewhat controversial but in reality, not to this extent.

The cover is very straightforward; there are two parts to it, a photo and some text.

The photo is offensive. There is no doubt about that, any flag burning is seen as an act of aggression and I imagine that this burning flag was an act of aggression at the time of its taking. I didn’t burn it and I didn’t take the photo of it either. Sadly, we are seeing these images regularly. There won’t be any daily newspaper which hasn’t had an American flag burning on its front cover at some point in the past year or so. This doesn’t make the act right but I do find it difficult to believe that people are totally outraged at seeing a photo which they have seen hundreds of times before (even though the photo is wrong).

The issue I think people have with this cover is its context; which brings me to the second part of the cover; the text.

‘I think they got the hint!’ is written on the front of the magazine which the vast majority of people (as expected) assume is some kind of ‘dig’ at the United States and/or potential investors from there.

This is not the case! It is actually the complete opposite.

The cover is a ‘dig’ at those who opposed any foreign investment before even considering it. The cover is taking the piss out of our own public opinion on the matter. People who wanted to start a protest just because ‘foreigners’ were descending upon us.

Reading peoples posts, it is clear that we want our fan base to grow. We want fans from the United States and people are worried that such front covers on local magazines will put them off. We want to share our wonderful club with the world and that is lovely. BUT we will only allow them so far, we want their money, their interest but we can’t trust them to be a ‘real’ part of it; you have to be from Swansea to do that! There were regular comparisons to Cardiff and the way Tan runs their club just because these investors are foreign.
I have no issue with the U.S.A. I have been there, nearly half my family live there and a quarter of them born there and are American citizens, I intend to travel it some more one day. This is in no way aimed at them but aimed at those who blindly block any potential investment from there or from any other country just because they are foreign.

The term ‘don’t judge a book by its cover’ is quite apt here I like to think. The only references I have made to any takeover over recent months have been that I fully trust our board to make the right decision and if they decide to take an investor on then I’m happy; wherever they are from!!

I do apologise if anyone is genuinely offended by the cover but please don’t assume my context. I do get frustrated with people who are ‘offended’ on behalf of someone else. I feel that these are the same people who went online to listen to Russel Brand and Jonathan Ross on the radio after the event just so that they could be insulted and complain.

Hearing from Americans, I gather that the cover has been called ‘distasteful’ as against offensive which I can certainly agree with. The cover was designed to cause a discussion which it has. I do hope that I have made it very clear that the cover isn’t anti-American, I am in no way anti-American and that I am in favour (assuming that the deal is right) of overseas investment (which we already have) as I see that as the only real way that we can increase our fan base overseas which is clearly popular with our current fans.

Jack Swan magazine is light hearted and is designed not to take itself too seriously. I know there are many people who don’t get this about it and get seriously upset about a spelling mistake or certain things in it because it isn’t like the ‘other media’ that they read. That is fine but the magazine is very popular and wont change and try and please everyone as there are loads of ‘watered down’ publications which are available if that’s what you want. BUT this is in no way anti-American, I hope that comes across here :)

Poll: Should Jack Swan magazine be proof read or is the spelling mistakes a part of it
Blog: Interview with Freestone, Alsop plus Phil Sumbler in the New Jack Swan. Issue #21.

Official Statement on Jack Swan Cover in issue #34 on 10:45 - Feb 25 with 4467 viewsDarran

Backtracking.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Official Statement on Jack Swan Cover in issue #34 on 11:02 - Feb 25 with 4423 viewsKingsJack

Jack Swan Magazine - Swansea's answer to Charlie Hebdo
Official Statement on Jack Swan Cover in issue #34 on 11:05 - Feb 25 with 4413 viewsmonmouth

Official Statement on Jack Swan Cover in issue #34 on 11:02 - Feb 25 by KingsJack

Jack Swan Magazine - Swansea's answer to Charlie Hebdo

Charlie Chaplin.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Official Statement on Jack Swan Cover in issue #34 on 11:23 - Feb 25 with 4376 viewsWarwickHunt

Official Statement?

Don't flatter yourself. Nobody gives a f*ck.
Official Statement on Jack Swan Cover in issue #34 on 11:31 - Feb 25 with 4354 viewsJack_y_Jwc

Ha, I was about to write something similar

Official Statement on Jack Swan Cover in issue #34 on 12:31 - Feb 25 with 4239 viewsbluenile

Bollocks of an answer anyway...................it has no class..........at all!

Open the ipod bay doors Hal

Official Statement on Jack Swan Cover in issue #34 on 15:18 - Feb 25 with 4066 viewsApeShit

So where is the cover then?

I read halfway through that b*llocks and realised I hadn't seen or heard about what I'm reading.
Official Statement on Jack Swan Cover in issue #34 on 15:22 - Feb 25 with 4057 viewsApeShit

Seen it now , doesn't really bother me.

People were outraged by that??

Login to get fewer ads

Official Statement on Jack Swan Cover in issue #34 on 18:20 - Feb 25 with 3921 viewsGowerjack

Revisionism of the highest order.

Sad.

Plastic since 1974
Poll: Is ECB for tyranny?

Official Statement on Jack Swan Cover in issue #34 on 18:26 - Feb 25 with 3900 viewsTummer_from_Texas

Official Statement on Jack Swan Cover in issue #34 on 15:22 - Feb 25 by ApeShit

Seen it now , doesn't really bother me.

People were outraged by that??

Not really. He started a thread asking for our opinions, so we gave them. But nobody got intense or riled up over the subject, except perhaps the OP.

Poll: Biggest signing so far in January? (just curious what Planet Swans thinks)

Official Statement on Jack Swan Cover in issue #34 on 18:48 - Feb 25 with 3842 viewsThursday

Don't judge a book by its cover? That's precisely what you asked everyone to do in the original thread, you dingbat.
Official Statement on Jack Swan Cover in issue #34 on 19:09 - Feb 25 with 3799 viewsLeonisGod

The only aim of a cover is to grab attention. Seems to have worked well in this case. Time Magazine used exactly the same imagery, for exactly the same purpose. Yes, it shocks. It's meant to - that's the point. And the reaction proves it was a successful choice.

We don't have to like it. Our American users are bright enough to realise the context and purpose of it. To suggest otherwise is probably a greater insult. It doesn't suddenly make the club, the fans, the posters on here anti-American. Iconography innit.

Where's that American flag smiley when you need it?...
Official Statement on Jack Swan Cover in issue #34 on 19:12 - Feb 25 with 3793 viewsNeath_Jack

Official Statement on Jack Swan Cover in issue #34 on 18:26 - Feb 25 by Tummer_from_Texas

Not really. He started a thread asking for our opinions, so we gave them. But nobody got intense or riled up over the subject, except perhaps the OP.

There's at least one poster that got the right hump over it, Clinton reckons he's never going to read it again in protest.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Official Statement on Jack Swan Cover in issue #34 on 19:14 - Feb 25 with 3791 viewsSwansNZ

Official Statement on Jack Swan Cover in issue #34 on 18:26 - Feb 25 by Tummer_from_Texas

That’s basically it. Nobody was really offended by it, but most thought it was a load of crap, just like the content inside it.

Poll: Should the official match day thread include pictures?

Official Statement on Jack Swan Cover in issue #34 on 19:20 - Feb 25 with 3783 viewsicecoldjack

Isn't this just a thread to drum up business for the issue ??

lol
Official Statement on Jack Swan Cover in issue #34 on 19:27 - Feb 25 with 3771 viewsLeonisGod

Official Statement on Jack Swan Cover in issue #34 on 19:20 - Feb 25 by icecoldjack

Isn't this just a thread to drum up business for the issue ??

lol

it's so easy...
Official Statement on Jack Swan Cover in issue #34 on 19:52 - Feb 25 with 3741 viewsFlashberryjack

I often read Jack Swan, and to be fair I enjoy it for what it is.
Unfortunately on this occasion I found the cover page showing a burning American flag in very bad taste indeed.
I'm sure the editor thought it a good idea at the time, insulting America or people in general was not his/her intention, although that seems to be what has been achieved in this instance.
But hey! we've all done or written something or other that maybe we shouldn't, so whilst I didn't like the cover photo, I was more disappointed with it than outraged.

Funnily enough I'm more angry at the response of the editor, than I am of the photo of the burning American flag, surely a simple "Error of judgement" and an apology to those offended would have been the more favorable and diplomatic avenue of response, rather than the, IMO rather arrogant one I read.
I've always been taught, the smart and the best way to respond when you've got something wrong, is a simple apology....obviously that reaction isn't going to happen.

The Jack Swan magazine, whilst not officially connected to our club, it loosely uses the name of the club, which is fair enough.
But being strongly associated with our club comes with responsibilities. unfortunately on this occasion they have been rather negligent in those responsibilities.

I'm sure the magazine relies heavily on advertisement income to survive, although I suspect most companies would regard advertising with any magazine with a cover photo of the American flag burning to be toxic.
I sincerely hope that this is not a the end of the magazine, because of two bad decisions. Firstly to include the photo, secondly for not having the ability to give a simple apology.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Official Statement on Jack Swan Cover in issue #34 on 21:08 - Feb 25 with 3659 viewsexiledclaseboy

"Sorry, I f*cked up" would have taken up far less of everyone's time.

Poll: Tory leader

Official Statement on Jack Swan Cover in issue #34 on 21:11 - Feb 25 with 3649 viewsScoobyWho

Official Statement on Jack Swan Cover in issue #34 on 19:52 - Feb 25 by Flashberryjack

I often read Jack Swan, and to be fair I enjoy it for what it is.
Unfortunately on this occasion I found the cover page showing a burning American flag in very bad taste indeed.
I'm sure the editor thought it a good idea at the time, insulting America or people in general was not his/her intention, although that seems to be what has been achieved in this instance.
But hey! we've all done or written something or other that maybe we shouldn't, so whilst I didn't like the cover photo, I was more disappointed with it than outraged.

Funnily enough I'm more angry at the response of the editor, than I am of the photo of the burning American flag, surely a simple "Error of judgement" and an apology to those offended would have been the more favorable and diplomatic avenue of response, rather than the, IMO rather arrogant one I read.
I've always been taught, the smart and the best way to respond when you've got something wrong, is a simple apology....obviously that reaction isn't going to happen.

The Jack Swan magazine, whilst not officially connected to our club, it loosely uses the name of the club, which is fair enough.
But being strongly associated with our club comes with responsibilities. unfortunately on this occasion they have been rather negligent in those responsibilities.

I'm sure the magazine relies heavily on advertisement income to survive, although I suspect most companies would regard advertising with any magazine with a cover photo of the American flag burning to be toxic.
I sincerely hope that this is not a the end of the magazine, because of two bad decisions. Firstly to include the photo, secondly for not having the ability to give a simple apology.

I never did get a response from the editor regards the businesses who advertise in the magazine and if they supported the cover.

DGT Bullshit Connoisseur.
Poll: Election 2015 Thread : Who will you vote for ?

Official Statement on Jack Swan Cover in issue #34 on 21:48 - Feb 25 with 3593 viewsFlashberryjack

Official Statement on Jack Swan Cover in issue #34 on 21:08 - Feb 25 by exiledclaseboy

"Sorry, I f*cked up" would have taken up far less of everyone's time.

Exactly......f*cking up is forgivable - failing to acknowledge that f*ck up is unforgivable.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Official Statement on Jack Swan Cover in issue #34 on 00:42 - Feb 26 with 3491 viewsJackanapes

Official Statement on Jack Swan Cover in issue #34 on 18:48 - Feb 25 by Thursday

Don't judge a book by its cover? That's precisely what you asked everyone to do in the original thread, you dingbat.

“The stupidest thing she knew was for people to act like they knew all about the things they knew absolutely nothing about.”

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024