Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Vets 17:55 - Mar 19 with 5173 viewsmax936

Hell of a job fair do's, they've got a license to print money, my maxy needs more Metacam for his arthritis and I've found it online far cheaper than my vet sells it, but I need a prescription, so I asked the vet for one, but there's a charge of 15 quid called a writing fee, fukme sidewards, maxy has been under the same veteninary surgery since he was 10 weeks old, starving bastards.
[Post edited 19 Mar 2015 17:56]

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Vets on 18:14 - Mar 19 with 3800 viewsjackportis

Mine was diagnosed with depression!! Suggested tablets I declined. I am not being funny but a cat with depression! his biggest stress is what bed to sleep on.

Jackportis the brand. “A gifted poster”, “planet swans have a real talent on their hands in the name of Jackportis” sky sports 2018. . JP fully supports posters of LBG, mx orientation and ethnic minority groups. Update - now fully supporting the pansexual community.

Vets on 20:05 - Mar 19 with 3744 viewsNogginthenog

I know cats are schizophrenic and paranoid but i won't believe they can be depressed. Tell it to get more exercise and look on the bright side.
Vets on 20:07 - Mar 19 with 3744 viewsProfessor

Not that fantastic a job financially-peanuts next to a medic. The main point is you are used to a free prescription serviice in Wales (or a set charge in England) for humans regardless of the cost of the medication. In the NHS pharmacists get a fee for processing and dispensing plus the cost of the medication be it a quid or 500). The GP practice are paid ny the NHS per patient and services provided. Vets are getting nowt, so have to charge a fee that realises a profit for any activity. Only through owning a large practice can you make big money, but the kicker is you need big money to buy a practice or a partnership in one. So many vets are employees of large practices and increasingly vet practice chains. Most GPs will be getting well in excess of 100k, vets about half that. Indeed newly qualified vets will get about half the pay of a quack. Same length of training, same fees but less money. That's not to say there are not rich vets ( who can now call themselves Dr in the Uk) but it,is not a licence to print money by any means
Vets on 20:41 - Mar 19 with 3718 viewsmax936

Vets on 20:07 - Mar 19 by Professor

Not that fantastic a job financially-peanuts next to a medic. The main point is you are used to a free prescription serviice in Wales (or a set charge in England) for humans regardless of the cost of the medication. In the NHS pharmacists get a fee for processing and dispensing plus the cost of the medication be it a quid or 500). The GP practice are paid ny the NHS per patient and services provided. Vets are getting nowt, so have to charge a fee that realises a profit for any activity. Only through owning a large practice can you make big money, but the kicker is you need big money to buy a practice or a partnership in one. So many vets are employees of large practices and increasingly vet practice chains. Most GPs will be getting well in excess of 100k, vets about half that. Indeed newly qualified vets will get about half the pay of a quack. Same length of training, same fees but less money. That's not to say there are not rich vets ( who can now call themselves Dr in the Uk) but it,is not a licence to print money by any means

15 quid to write a prescription out, seriously, come on mun if he had said a fiver I'd have said oh well ok, but 15quid, come on mun.

Oh and another thing, he said that he'll need a urine test now to see if his kidneys are functioning properly to enable him to be able to have the metacam unless I just want to take the risk, there was no mention of the test previously when he give him the first dose, I'll stick by my license to print money comment, I admit he's doing what he been told to do, but still.

I spent nearly 500quid with them back in the summer when he came out of kennels ill, so wara teg innit.
[Post edited 19 Mar 2015 20:48]

Vets on 20:48 - Mar 19 with 3710 viewsProfessor

Vets on 20:41 - Mar 19 by max936

15 quid to write a prescription out, seriously, come on mun if he had said a fiver I'd have said oh well ok, but 15quid, come on mun.

Oh and another thing, he said that he'll need a urine test now to see if his kidneys are functioning properly to enable him to be able to have the metacam unless I just want to take the risk, there was no mention of the test previously when he give him the first dose, I'll stick by my license to print money comment, I admit he's doing what he been told to do, but still.

I spent nearly 500quid with them back in the summer when he came out of kennels ill, so wara teg innit.

Wait until you need a private prescription from a GP for something like anti malarial drugs. The vet will seem cheap. Not saying it is good value but compared to a solicitors letter or anything outside the NHS it is.
Vets on 20:57 - Mar 19 with 3696 viewsmax936

Vets on 20:48 - Mar 19 by Professor

Wait until you need a private prescription from a GP for something like anti malarial drugs. The vet will seem cheap. Not saying it is good value but compared to a solicitors letter or anything outside the NHS it is.

Thing is, he's got me by the goolies, because I can't source a prescription from anywhere else.

As regards the Gp, I paid around 40/50 quid for blood test and jabs for my work, for whats involved in that, I think that was fairly reasonable, which is my point really, all I need is a perscrption, which probably involves two minutes work, I understand your analogy, but on the face of it, its an over the top fee, imho.
[Post edited 19 Mar 2015 21:06]

Vets on 21:01 - Mar 19 with 3690 viewsNeath_Jack

Vets on 20:41 - Mar 19 by max936

Max, be careful with that metacam mate. My dog got put on it for her arthritis about this time last year, she had the blood tests first, but it f*cked her kidneys up and she was fitting terrible on it in the end, so we had to have her put to sleep, she was 14.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Vets on 21:06 - Mar 19 with 3684 viewsProfessor

Vets on 20:57 - Mar 19 by max936

Thing is, he's got me by the goolies, because I can't source a prescription from anywhere else.

As regards the Gp, I paid around 40/50 quid for blood test and jabs for my work, for whats involved in that, I think that was fairly reasonable, which is my point really, all I need is a perscrption, which probably involves two minutes work, I understand your analogy, but on the face of it, its an over the top fee, imho.
[Post edited 19 Mar 2015 21:06]

A GP will usually charge about 20 to 30 quid for the same. There is no reason for the vet to charge less. Both have similar training and indemnity costs and the vet has no guaranteed NHS income. I agree it is a lot of cash for what seems little. But they need a profit hence the annual check and vaccinations for dog being 50-100 quid. Those vaccines cost a lot less but you are the sole income for the vet not like the taxpayer who pays for the GP. The state has a minimal veterinary service devoted to maintaining disease free status for economically important diseases (like foot and mouth virus) and for public health in reducing the risk of disease from animals (zoonoses) and animal products- so bovine TB, Salmonella etc.
Login to get fewer ads

Vets on 21:08 - Mar 19 with 3678 viewsmax936

Vets on 21:06 - Mar 19 by Professor

A GP will usually charge about 20 to 30 quid for the same. There is no reason for the vet to charge less. Both have similar training and indemnity costs and the vet has no guaranteed NHS income. I agree it is a lot of cash for what seems little. But they need a profit hence the annual check and vaccinations for dog being 50-100 quid. Those vaccines cost a lot less but you are the sole income for the vet not like the taxpayer who pays for the GP. The state has a minimal veterinary service devoted to maintaining disease free status for economically important diseases (like foot and mouth virus) and for public health in reducing the risk of disease from animals (zoonoses) and animal products- so bovine TB, Salmonella etc.

Ok fair points.

Vets on 21:11 - Mar 19 with 3673 viewsNeathJack

Vets on 21:01 - Mar 19 by Neath_Jack

Max, be careful with that metacam mate. My dog got put on it for her arthritis about this time last year, she had the blood tests first, but it f*cked her kidneys up and she was fitting terrible on it in the end, so we had to have her put to sleep, she was 14.

I second this.

It works wonders for the arthritis but really messes with their kidneys. Have you tried giving him glucosamine tablets?
Vets on 21:13 - Mar 19 with 3668 viewsNeath_Jack

Vets on 21:11 - Mar 19 by NeathJack

I second this.

It works wonders for the arthritis but really messes with their kidneys. Have you tried giving him glucosamine tablets?

Indeed, it was like a super drug for her, she went from not being able to get up off her bed to running around. Gave us massive false hope seeing her like that.

I don't blame the vet by the way.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Vets on 21:14 - Mar 19 with 3666 viewsmax936

Thaks for the heads up Nj, I'll have a word with the vet, that's probably why he's mentioned the urine test, how I get the urine from him is gonna be interesting, I can't see him sting there with me trying to catch his piddle in a sample bottle, he'll think its some kind of game and be jumping around like an excitable toddler

Regarding Metacam's side effects, I had heard that if can affect the liver, I mentioned that to the vet and he more or less discounted it, he didn't mention the kidneys until todays phone call.

Vets on 21:18 - Mar 19 with 3660 viewsProfessor

I second this.

Ask what the test is Max, as it would mean the costs and risks should be explained to you. This should be part of vet training (unless they went to Camrbridge). Most kidney function tests are based on protein or ketones in urine and can be done by a quick dipstick test. We already discussed the pitfalls a merits of treatment and whilst things like glucosamine can help but are unlikely to alleviate all problems. The approval for use of drugs for animals is pretty rigorous, that!s not to say there would not be potential side effects of course. Good luck with the dog. I am in a very humid room in Malawi and my power has failed so off to sleep for me.

All the best
Vets on 21:18 - Mar 19 with 3660 viewsmax936

Vets on 21:13 - Mar 19 by Neath_Jack

Indeed, it was like a super drug for her, she went from not being able to get up off her bed to running around. Gave us massive false hope seeing her like that.

I don't blame the vet by the way.

I agree with that, max has been like a two yr old since the first dose to be honest, although, he's still a tad slow getting up, but he's a Dobe so he's a big long legged old boy.

Vets on 21:21 - Mar 19 with 3656 viewsmax936

Vets on 21:18 - Mar 19 by Professor

Ask what the test is Max, as it would mean the costs and risks should be explained to you. This should be part of vet training (unless they went to Camrbridge). Most kidney function tests are based on protein or ketones in urine and can be done by a quick dipstick test. We already discussed the pitfalls a merits of treatment and whilst things like glucosamine can help but are unlikely to alleviate all problems. The approval for use of drugs for animals is pretty rigorous, that!s not to say there would not be potential side effects of course. Good luck with the dog. I am in a very humid room in Malawi and my power has failed so off to sleep for me.

All the best

Cheers for the chat and all the best to you as well.

Vets on 21:24 - Mar 19 with 3650 viewsmax936

I second this.

No I haven't to be honest, gonna have another chat to the vet, going on your two's experience on metacam, I think I may leave it to the vet now, last thing I want is to cause maxy more severe problems.

Vets on 21:58 - Mar 19 with 3623 viewsjack_lord

Have you thought about the vets in Clydach. They are very good and appear to be cheaper than other practices.

Lord_Jack increasingly detached from the riches of kicking a ball
Poll: The E U : Stay or Leave

Vets on 22:25 - Mar 19 with 3605 viewsmax936

Vets on 21:58 - Mar 19 by jack_lord

Have you thought about the vets in Clydach. They are very good and appear to be cheaper than other practices.

He's always gone to Afon JL, they know him quite well now as well, although he hasn't needed to go that often, think that's gonna change now though, he's 11 in August and he's turning into a right old gent

Vets on 22:42 - Mar 19 with 3584 viewsdulaisjack

hi have you thought of rymadill tablets , my golden retreiver is on them for last 2 years and joint aid on her food at night, she still goes out for a wonder every day and she is 19years old so they must be doing some thing right, metacam long term is not good, i breed dogs been doing it for 25 years and metacam is only good in small doses, beleive me vets put there pockets first before the dogs welfare .
Vets on 22:49 - Mar 19 with 3574 viewsmax936

Vets on 22:42 - Mar 19 by dulaisjack

hi have you thought of rymadill tablets , my golden retreiver is on them for last 2 years and joint aid on her food at night, she still goes out for a wonder every day and she is 19years old so they must be doing some thing right, metacam long term is not good, i breed dogs been doing it for 25 years and metacam is only good in small doses, beleive me vets put there pockets first before the dogs welfare .

Cheers for that, where can you get the Rymadill tablets?

Vets on 23:08 - Mar 19 with 3558 viewsdulaisjack

Vets on 22:49 - Mar 19 by max936

Cheers for that, where can you get the Rymadill tablets?

i go to teilo vets in llandeilo pot of 100 works out at about 90p a day , joint aid is very good on its food but need to use it for about 3 weeks before it kicks in, problem nowadays to many young college vets who think they know it all, but really they just look it up online, a good experienced vet is what you need, check out rymadil and joint aid online see if you think it will help your dog.
Vets on 23:29 - Mar 19 with 3546 viewsjack_lord

Vets on 22:25 - Mar 19 by max936

He's always gone to Afon JL, they know him quite well now as well, although he hasn't needed to go that often, think that's gonna change now though, he's 11 in August and he's turning into a right old gent

One of my Dobey friends passed this on to me:

"I don't really have any advice but Metacam is equivalent to ibuprofen.... But many have found that the ingredients in Yumove by Lintbells is very effective with arthritis. It contains Glucosamine, Green lipped mussel, Chondroitin and vitamins... I have heard it's very effective with arthritis. I would give it a try if it were my dobie, supposed to have effects within 6 ish weeks or so "

Lord_Jack increasingly detached from the riches of kicking a ball
Poll: The E U : Stay or Leave

Vets on 00:32 - Mar 20 with 3532 viewsDyfnant

Vets on 20:07 - Mar 19 by Professor

Your talking tripe

Poll: How much will SCFC spend on transfer fees this summer

Vets on 05:12 - Mar 20 with 3507 viewsProfessor

Vets on 00:32 - Mar 20 by Dyfnant

Your talking tripe

OK, if you think that's the case believe it.
Vets on 09:25 - Mar 20 with 3464 viewsmax936

Vets on 23:29 - Mar 19 by jack_lord

One of my Dobey friends passed this on to me:

"I don't really have any advice but Metacam is equivalent to ibuprofen.... But many have found that the ingredients in Yumove by Lintbells is very effective with arthritis. It contains Glucosamine, Green lipped mussel, Chondroitin and vitamins... I have heard it's very effective with arthritis. I would give it a try if it were my dobie, supposed to have effects within 6 ish weeks or so "

Cheers Jas, funnily enough l was gonna pm you, as l remember you telling me about those friends of yours, cheers.
[Post edited 20 Mar 2015 16:47]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024