Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
End of an Era - Jeremy Clarkson 14:15 - Mar 25 with 11456 viewsjackharris

The Top Gear Presenter's contract will not be renewed! Prepare for Marmite opinions on him. I thoroughly enjoyed the Top Gear Specials and the entertaining Challenges, etc. On the other hand the man himself could, of course, be described as being thoroughly obnoxious. However, there is is no disputing that he, his chums and the Top Gear production crew made the BBC millions.

I also really enjoyed the documentary he did on the Arctic convoys of World War 2. He probably has many shows lined up.
[Post edited 25 Mar 2015 14:24]

Very proud to be voted Planet Swans Poster of the Year 2017 by my fellow posters. Especially on a site that nearly had 20 million impressions last year.
Poll: What is your favourite Knock?

End of an Era - Jeremy Clarkson on 20:49 - Mar 25 with 1337 viewsTom1912

End of an Era - Jeremy Clarkson on 18:48 - Mar 25 by blueytheblue

This is the same organisation who prevented anything being broadcast that questioned Savile, let's not forget.

Grossly out of touch with their audiences, figure that getting Clarkson "fired" ( letting a contract expire isn't firing someone ) and then replace with someone more wholesome will appease Guardianistas.

Fact is, stuck on BBC2 on a Sunday evening - a generally dead slot - Top Gear with Clarkson, Hamster and Captain Slow has delivered damn good ratings along with a lot of money from TV and merchandising deals.

In fact, as you yourself said, it's one of BBC's most valuable shows. BBC 2's best shows generally get moved to BBC to deliver higher ratings. BBC have continually failed to do that.

It's a situation where I've zero doubt BBC higher ups hate the show, hate the concept, hate the execution but love the money. They probably believe they can shove any presenter into the role and the money will still flow in.

I agree, for the BBC to fire a misogynist, racist, violent bully, it must be some kind of conspiracy by the "higher ups" to appease the Guardianistas. What a load of bollocks.

Alternatively, they'd given the idiot enough chances and finally had to say enough's enough. I very much doubt they wanted that massive hole the Top Gear revenue will leave in their finances.
[Post edited 25 Mar 2015 20:49]
End of an Era - Jeremy Clarkson on 21:12 - Mar 25 with 1302 viewsmonmouth

Just read somewhere that TG only accounts for 1% of BBC revenue and much of that is from repeats licenced by the BBC where income will be maintained with no production costs. So I think they'll probably survive.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

End of an Era - Jeremy Clarkson on 21:14 - Mar 25 with 1300 viewsairedale

End of an Era - Jeremy Clarkson on 14:26 - Mar 25 by jackharris

Chris Evans is favourite.

Yes, I'd forgotten about him. Still think someone like Morgan though, there's more to hate or love. Chris Evans is a nice bloke, and a car freak, but I think the 'nice' rules him out.

Funny thing is though, Piers flopped Stateside and I don't think he likes Clarkson too much, and Clarkson is a big hit there. Just stirring like.
End of an Era - Jeremy Clarkson on 21:23 - Mar 25 with 1286 viewsNeath_Jack

F*ck me some of you are taking this waaaaay too seriously, all coming out with your theories and counter theories.

Besides which it's a kids program for frustrated, grown up boy racers who still dream of owning a supercar. Good enough for the pompous racist prick, although he will turn up on another show soon enough.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

End of an Era - Jeremy Clarkson on 21:25 - Mar 25 with 1278 viewsDarran

End of an Era - Jeremy Clarkson on 21:23 - Mar 25 by Neath_Jack

F*ck me some of you are taking this waaaaay too seriously, all coming out with your theories and counter theories.

Besides which it's a kids program for frustrated, grown up boy racers who still dream of owning a supercar. Good enough for the pompous racist prick, although he will turn up on another show soon enough.

Here he is again look ''Mr Outraged At People Being Outraged'

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

End of an Era - Jeremy Clarkson on 21:28 - Mar 25 with 1271 viewsexiledclaseboy

It's fairly simple really. Employee hits fellow employee, loses his job for doing so. Just as any of us would.

Poll: Tory leader

End of an Era - Jeremy Clarkson on 21:29 - Mar 25 with 1271 viewslonglostjack

What's the problem? If he's really so good the twaat won't have a problem setting himself up as an independent - develop his own concept and flog that concept to Murdoch or de Mol. Won't happen though because he's a boring bigoted one track pony - good riddance.

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

End of an Era - Jeremy Clarkson on 21:45 - Mar 25 with 1249 viewsWarwickHunt

End of an Era - Jeremy Clarkson on 16:35 - Mar 25 by blueytheblue

The "in the field" producers are responsible for that, sure. If the case was that delays in filming caused them to be late back to the hotel, the producer knew but failed to point that out to the hotel staff it's understandable thaings could get heated. Given the amount the BBC would be paying for the rooms etc, any responsible hotel manager would have slipped the chef a few quid to stay later.

Just seems to me to be kind of incident that got heated, something happened, water under the bridge and all that.

I'd disagree Clarkson engineered it. Not like he needs more controversy, after all. Could simply just leave at the end of his contract. I'd also doubt he'd engineer it on his own leaving Hammond and May in difficult positions.

I'd supect people in the BBC wanted him out, shooting themselves in the foot finncially in the process due to not fitting the demographic the management want. Ironic really, given the show does good ratings without a prime time BBC1 slot, generates them massive revenue. It just shows how completely out of touch with licence fee payers the public broadcaster really are.

There's a world of difference between a producer and an assistant producer in tv.

The bloke was basically a gopher - Clarkson was basically a c*nt.
Login to get fewer ads

End of an Era - Jeremy Clarkson on 22:01 - Mar 25 with 1229 viewsraynor94

End of an Era - Jeremy Clarkson on 21:28 - Mar 25 by exiledclaseboy

It's fairly simple really. Employee hits fellow employee, loses his job for doing so. Just as any of us would.

Absolutely spot on, unlike blueys it got a little heated water under the bridge

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

End of an Era - Jeremy Clarkson on 22:11 - Mar 25 with 1220 viewsSwanjaxs

Mate of mine was in the audience for TG two years ago, told me when the cameras were rolling Clarkson hamed it up... soon as the filming stopped he walked off set and refused to even acknowledge any of the unwashed in the audience! ! He said Richard Hammond and James May were total opposites, offering themselves up for photos /autographs, Hammond even putting money aside for refreshments after filming for said crowd

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.
Poll: Celtic and Rangers should be fast tracked into the Championship ASAP

End of an Era - Jeremy Clarkson on 22:39 - Mar 25 with 1190 viewsKilkennyjack

End of an Era - Jeremy Clarkson on 20:43 - Mar 25 by builthjack

Can't stand the bloke, total knob.

Is the correct answer .....

Beware of the Risen People

End of an Era - Jeremy Clarkson on 23:16 - Mar 25 with 1155 viewsblueytheblue

End of an Era - Jeremy Clarkson on 22:01 - Mar 25 by raynor94

Absolutely spot on, unlike blueys it got a little heated water under the bridge

Clarkson tried apologising to the producer. Producer made no complaint.

The kind of thing that would probably have got resolved between the parties over a pint the next day years ago.

BBC clearly thought it was so serious that they propagate the myth he was "fired" when they simply decided not to renew the contract. Big difference. If they believed it was gross misconduct, then fire him...

So now there's the farcical situation the police want to actively get involved despite no complaint being made. I'm assuming every workplace will thus be willing and complicit in a similar way then.

EDIT: I presume since no new contract will be offered to Clarkson that the BBC will not be having him as guest host on HIGNFY in April, as planned. If he was on, it would make the BBC look a tad hypocritical and stupid.
[Post edited 26 Mar 2015 0:13]

Poll: Alternate POTY final

End of an Era - Jeremy Clarkson on 06:27 - Mar 26 with 1110 views1jack

Workmates of mine had been in the audience and said all three were brilliant on and off camera. By the way whoever said coogan to take over, fcuk me he's never benn funny full stop, how the fcuk he's on TV anywhere is mind boggling.
End of an Era - Jeremy Clarkson on 11:40 - Mar 26 with 1059 viewsPatchesOHoulihan

End of an Era - Jeremy Clarkson on 15:30 - Mar 25 by icecoldjack

How do you know the other guy was totally innocent? were you there ?

Im not condoning it no, but it can be seen as a failiure by the BBC to not manage one of their assets correctly, and in turn lose them millions of pounds, if the likes of Clarkson want smarties with the brown ones taken out then thats what they need to do.

It should never have got that far " stars" need star treatment, sad but true but thats how that world works, neither of us know the exact details and never will so its a little bit difficult to assess fully. everything story in life has 3 sides, his side their side with the truth in the middle.

When you say the BBC acted correctly have they really? as i understand it they are just not renewing his contract, which is a little bit different from being sacked for gross misconduct.

Seems to me like the BBC have acted correctly in the end although mismanaged before to cause this

A ploy on purpose maybe to get out of having to renew another contract at a larger salary ?? Idiots if so as no matter what people thought of him or the others the show was very popular

JODIE KIDD for me to replace him. Just as tall - far more attractive - probably a better driver (check out her fastest lap and the whole interview for proof)

This is Patches O'Houlihan saying "Take care of your balls, and they'll take care of you."

End of an Era - Jeremy Clarkson on 12:48 - Mar 26 with 1035 viewsblueytheblue

Jodie Kidd is clearly more attractive, but that avoids the elephant in the room.

Clarkson was the main writer of the show. Arguably as a result, he was the show. His ideas for the most part, his writing for the most part. The main producer will almost certainly follow Clarkson wherever he goes too so the heart of the show has been ripped out.

Trying to keep the format of the show the same going forward will be almost impossible. Clarkson, May, Hammond were a perfect storm with regards to chemistry. Be difficult to replace that - anyone who knows cars well enough to present the show would also know it's a poisoned chalice. That's why Chris Evans ruled himself out. Coogan? Dear gods... terminally unfunny to the point he has to rely on a decades old character for any comedy recognition these days. Ironically, his brother used to present Top Gear when it really sucked.

The thing for me is, Top Gear is successful, brings money in despite the BBC wanting to now downplay that. In that instance why the hell wouldn't you protect the assets involved in making the show - why leave contract renewals until the month before they expire at the minimum? That tells me either BBC management are clueless or wanted to replace the trio regardless.

End of an Era - Jeremy Clarkson on 13:17 - Mar 26 with 1016 viewsPatchesOHoulihan

End of an Era - Jeremy Clarkson on 12:48 - Mar 26 by blueytheblue

Jodie Kidd is clearly more attractive, but that avoids the elephant in the room.

Clarkson was the main writer of the show. Arguably as a result, he was the show. His ideas for the most part, his writing for the most part. The main producer will almost certainly follow Clarkson wherever he goes too so the heart of the show has been ripped out.

Trying to keep the format of the show the same going forward will be almost impossible. Clarkson, May, Hammond were a perfect storm with regards to chemistry. Be difficult to replace that - anyone who knows cars well enough to present the show would also know it's a poisoned chalice. That's why Chris Evans ruled himself out. Coogan? Dear gods... terminally unfunny to the point he has to rely on a decades old character for any comedy recognition these days. Ironically, his brother used to present Top Gear when it really sucked.

The thing for me is, Top Gear is successful, brings money in despite the BBC wanting to now downplay that. In that instance why the hell wouldn't you protect the assets involved in making the show - why leave contract renewals until the month before they expire at the minimum? That tells me either BBC management are clueless or wanted to replace the trio regardless.

Yeah you obviously know more about the production of the show than me but I agree with a lot of what you said.

No other similar programme has really done the business compared to Top Gear even with former presenters.

I can see a total overhaul and update of the show..........................which will ultimately fail

Just hope that when it does that everyone blames Clarkson for being a d**k and causing his contract to not be renewed, not the BBC for having to get rid of him after what he is alleged to have done

This is Patches O'Houlihan saying "Take care of your balls, and they'll take care of you."

End of an Era - Jeremy Clarkson on 14:17 - Mar 26 with 996 viewsblueytheblue

The BBC didn't get rid of him for what happened.

If they did, he'd have been fired as in contract terminated due to gross misconduct. Instead he's not having his contract renewed, meaning any monies due up to and including the end of the contract will still be paid.

Which makes the whole BBC investigation interesting to say the least. "Guilty guv, but we're not firing you".

End of an Era - Jeremy Clarkson on 16:14 - Mar 26 with 970 viewsUxbridge

End of an Era - Jeremy Clarkson on 14:17 - Mar 26 by blueytheblue

The BBC didn't get rid of him for what happened.

If they did, he'd have been fired as in contract terminated due to gross misconduct. Instead he's not having his contract renewed, meaning any monies due up to and including the end of the contract will still be paid.

Which makes the whole BBC investigation interesting to say the least. "Guilty guv, but we're not firing you".

Not really. There's a myriad of reasons why it might be easier just to let his contract run out. No legal battles for one.

It's a bit mad to think this event and subsequent investigation didn't impact on the Beeb's likely course of action regarding a new contract for Clarkson though.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

End of an Era - Jeremy Clarkson on 16:28 - Mar 26 with 962 viewslondonlisa2001

End of an Era - Jeremy Clarkson on 16:14 - Mar 26 by Uxbridge

Not really. There's a myriad of reasons why it might be easier just to let his contract run out. No legal battles for one.

It's a bit mad to think this event and subsequent investigation didn't impact on the Beeb's likely course of action regarding a new contract for Clarkson though.

Told by a BBC guy that the decision to let Clarkson go was made about 18 months ago and he / BBC have effectively been serving out the rest of contract with both sides knowing it wouldn't be renewed. Apparently Chris Evans was always lined up to take over (don't know whether that is still the case, but it was when the decision was made).

Also - Top Gear revenues although substantial are largely 'back catalogue' which are wholly owned by the Beeb. It won't be that easy apparently for Clarkson to replicate the show anywhere else due to the agreements that were put in place when the BBC bought the full rights to Top Gear from Clarkson (which makes sense - they wouldn't pay a load for a show that could just be moved to another channel thus making the rights far less valuable).

It does seem that this latest incident is just a bizarre coincidence of timing.

Having said that, I do love the 'it's just a small thing and could have been sorted out' views. I'd have loved to have seen the reactions on here if some multi million pound a year banker had refused to leave the pub to get back to the hotel in time for food, and then when he couldn't get food, had smacked his hapless junior in the face.
End of an Era - Jeremy Clarkson on 16:33 - Mar 26 with 958 viewsblueytheblue

End of an Era - Jeremy Clarkson on 16:14 - Mar 26 by Uxbridge

It's mad to think the decision wasn't made a long time before it.
It's mad to think you let the contracts of presenters of one of your top shows wind down without wanting rid of them.

End of an Era - Jeremy Clarkson on 16:52 - Mar 26 with 942 viewsJackSomething

I have no strong feelings on Clarkson and Top Gear, but am genuinely concerned that some people seem to think Clarkson is some kind of comic genius while finding Coogan not at all funny.

I can only conclude those people have no sense of humour, or they're geriatric. All that aside, there's no way Coogan would join Top Gear, he would almost certainly consider it a step down.

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

End of an Era - Jeremy Clarkson on 16:57 - Mar 26 with 941 viewsblueytheblue

Reming us "geriatrics" when Coogan was funny.

Paul Calf, Partridge? I'll grant you those in the early days.

Since then what precisely? Humorously championing Hacked Off?

Coogan is someone who had the potential to be damned good, rested on his laurels. Still funnier than Miranda Hart though.

End of an Era - Jeremy Clarkson on 17:03 - Mar 26 with 934 viewsJackSomething

End of an Era - Jeremy Clarkson on 16:57 - Mar 26 by blueytheblue

Coogan is someone who had the potential to be damned good, rested on his laurels. Still funnier than Miranda Hart though.

Alpha Papa made me laugh more in 5 minutes than Clarkson ever has. Of course Coogan is about more than comedy, as Philomena proves.

I can see why people find Top Gear entertaining, but don't understand the idea that Clarkson is funny. He's someone you laugh at, rather than with. Does it have more to do with people liking him because of his right-wing opinions? Genuine question.

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

End of an Era - Jeremy Clarkson on 17:05 - Mar 26 with 933 viewslondonlisa2001

End of an Era - Jeremy Clarkson on 16:57 - Mar 26 by blueytheblue

that's a gender thing I think Bluey. I have rarely met a man who finds Miranda funny (albeit that the Christmas shows weren't found funny by anyone) and I have rarely met a woman who particularly likes Coogan (including myself).
End of an Era - Jeremy Clarkson on 17:13 - Mar 26 with 926 viewsblueytheblue

End of an Era - Jeremy Clarkson on 17:03 - Mar 26 by JackSomething

Alpha Papa made me laugh more in 5 minutes than Clarkson ever has. Of course Coogan is about more than comedy, as Philomena proves.

I can see why people find Top Gear entertaining, but don't understand the idea that Clarkson is funny. He's someone you laugh at, rather than with. Does it have more to do with people liking him because of his right-wing opinions? Genuine question.

Seen neither tbh. Alpha papa may be funny but it's still based upon a character over two decades old. Coogan in the early days had different characters, seguing between many, settled on Alan Partridge and has remained, for the most part in that comfort zone.

My point is, you ask people what you remember Coogan from the answers would be "Alan Partridge", "Paul Calf" and "didn't he s**g Madonna?".

Clarkson can be funny, can also make some good non car related documentaries. Not all of his comedy works, he's not intending to be some kind of standup comedian.

Could easily throw the point back that people disliking him do so because of their left wing views. It's also telling that many want to politicise Clarkson...

Top Gear with Clarkson, Hammond and May worked because of the chemistry. BBC naturally licensed the show overseas as it's done with other franchises like Masterchef. Unlike the other franchises, "localised" versions of Top Gear generally haven't done that well. I'd suggest unless there's a "right wing conspiracy" world wide, they did what they set out to do, ie entertain in what can be a very dry, boring sector.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024