Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
WTF .... are UEFA and FIFA totally braindamaged? 00:23 - Apr 10 with 4704 viewsDanielswan

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3031893/GRAHAM-POLL-UEFA-set-d

First FIFA decide to have the world cup in Qatar after being bribed to do so.

Now UEFA has decided to replay 18 seconds of a game due to a referee mistake, one I have seen before on more than one occasion.

Really? When I first read this I really thought it was a delayed aprils fool.

Half portuguese and half danish, mixing Sagres and Carlsberg is my birthright.
Poll: Style of play.

WTF .... are UEFA and FIFA totally braindamaged? on 00:54 - Apr 10 with 4671 viewsSwansNZ

She scored the retaken penalty - the game took 5 days to complete.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/32242750

Poll: Should the official match day thread include pictures?

WTF .... are UEFA and FIFA totally braindamaged? on 07:32 - Apr 10 with 4539 viewsSkipTheJack

It's strange how only one type of refereeing mistake is considered serious enough to force a full or partial replay. It seems the issue here is not that the referee failed to assess the incident correctly, but that she saw exactly what happened and failed to correctly apply the laws of the game.

But there are plenty of other examples of the laws being incorrectly applied (i.e. our disallowed goal at West Brom a couple of years ago) but these incidents are just deemed part of the game.
WTF .... are UEFA and FIFA totally braindamaged? on 07:49 - Apr 10 with 4517 viewsItchySphincter

Terrible precedent to set. They hung the referee out to dry too. PL refs drop boIIocks on a weekly basis far worse than this.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

WTF .... are UEFA and FIFA totally braindamaged? on 08:13 - Apr 10 with 4479 viewsJackSomething

It's not a precedent. The exact same situation occurred in 2005 in a match between Uzbekistan and Bahrain. Seeing as it's taken 10 years for it to be repeated, I don't think we need to get our panties in a twist about it.

If you look up the Daily Mail Online article at the time, guess what's in the headline, same as this incident - 'dangerous precedent'. The Daily Mail, the most hilariously predictable newspaper of every year.

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

WTF .... are UEFA and FIFA totally braindamaged? on 09:21 - Apr 10 with 4374 viewsUxbridge

Someone should have been there at the time to point out that the referee didn't understand the laws of the game. 5 days is a bit of a farce.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

WTF .... are UEFA and FIFA totally braindamaged? on 09:24 - Apr 10 with 4366 viewsmonmouth

WTF .... are UEFA and FIFA totally braindamaged? on 09:21 - Apr 10 by Uxbridge

Someone should have been there at the time to point out that the referee didn't understand the laws of the game. 5 days is a bit of a farce.

This fourth official tripe surely has to be used for more than holding up a time board and substitutions. If they then fail to point it out to the ref or don't know the laws either, the decision simply has to stand. Why didn't the lino tell the ref anyway? Mad to replay it.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

WTF .... are UEFA and FIFA totally braindamaged? on 09:25 - Apr 10 with 4365 viewsjackal

If a match was replayed every time a ref made a balls up, we'd be playing until the start of next season.
WTF .... are UEFA and FIFA totally braindamaged? on 09:51 - Apr 10 with 4325 viewsJackSomething

WTF .... are UEFA and FIFA totally braindamaged? on 09:25 - Apr 10 by jackal

If a match was replayed every time a ref made a balls up, we'd be playing until the start of next season.

The difference is that most referee balls up come down to interpretation of the rules, whereas this one was a referee blatantly making a decision that goes against the rulebook.

I agree that another official there should have pointed it out at the time, as they all should know the rules and be able to cover each other in the case of a brainfart like this.

Login to get fewer ads

WTF .... are UEFA and FIFA totally braindamaged? on 09:53 - Apr 10 with 4317 viewsUxbridge

WTF .... are UEFA and FIFA totally braindamaged? on 09:24 - Apr 10 by monmouth

This fourth official tripe surely has to be used for more than holding up a time board and substitutions. If they then fail to point it out to the ref or don't know the laws either, the decision simply has to stand. Why didn't the lino tell the ref anyway? Mad to replay it.

Aye, you can't replay it. Well, you could possibly if it was within an hour or so, and it was limited to a case of such a ridiculous lack of knowledge of the laws. Either way, it just simply shouldn't happen.

WTF .... are UEFA and FIFA totally braindamaged? on 10:32 - Apr 10 with 4265 viewsStarsky

WTF .... are UEFA and FIFA totally braindamaged? on 09:53 - Apr 10 by Uxbridge

Aye, you can't replay it. Well, you could possibly if it was within an hour or so, and it was limited to a case of such a ridiculous lack of knowledge of the laws. Either way, it just simply shouldn't happen.

I bet it was a relief for the encroaching player.
Morally, I'm glad it was replayed.

It's just the internet, init.

WTF .... are UEFA and FIFA totally braindamaged? on 12:07 - Apr 10 with 4177 viewsItchySphincter

WTF .... are UEFA and FIFA totally braindamaged? on 09:51 - Apr 10 by JackSomething

The difference is that most referee balls up come down to interpretation of the rules, whereas this one was a referee blatantly making a decision that goes against the rulebook.

I agree that another official there should have pointed it out at the time, as they all should know the rules and be able to cover each other in the case of a brainfart like this.

You appear to be endorsing this course of action.

Utter buffoonery.

WTF .... are UEFA and FIFA totally braindamaged? on 12:13 - Apr 10 with 4162 viewsJackSomething

WTF .... are UEFA and FIFA totally braindamaged? on 12:07 - Apr 10 by ItchySphincter

Utter buffoonery.

I'm not saying this is a good situation and it has been handled with typical UEFA lunacy, but at least the correct outcome has been achieved.

What if the same situation occurred to us in a cup semi-final say? Would you rather we miss out on a place in a cup final because of a clear and blatant referee error than replay the last few moments at a later date?

It's a terrible way to reach the right conclusion, but for me it's better than cheating a team.

WTF .... are UEFA and FIFA totally braindamaged? on 12:15 - Apr 10 with 4160 viewsStarsky

WTF .... are UEFA and FIFA totally braindamaged? on 12:07 - Apr 10 by ItchySphincter

Utter buffoonery.

I gave you an up arrow for using the marvellous word "buffoonery"

Even though JS is one of my favourite posters.

It's just the internet, init.

WTF .... are UEFA and FIFA totally braindamaged? on 13:05 - Apr 10 with 4088 viewssomersetsimon

WTF .... are UEFA and FIFA totally braindamaged? on 07:32 - Apr 10 by SkipTheJack

It's strange how only one type of refereeing mistake is considered serious enough to force a full or partial replay. It seems the issue here is not that the referee failed to assess the incident correctly, but that she saw exactly what happened and failed to correctly apply the laws of the game.

But there are plenty of other examples of the laws being incorrectly applied (i.e. our disallowed goal at West Brom a couple of years ago) but these incidents are just deemed part of the game.

I'm not sure that the West Brom incident was a misinterpretation of the rules. I assumed that the officials thought the ball came off a Swansea player.

I'm struggling to think of an example relating to the Swans where the referee saw an incident clearly, but made a rules mistake. I'm sure someone will come up with one!
WTF .... are UEFA and FIFA totally braindamaged? on 13:18 - Apr 10 with 4061 viewsKennedy

It's been done before so they have a right to lodge an appeal.

99.99% of ref mistakes that we talk about after a game and MOTD are interpretation.

This was the laws of the game. The rule is the penalty must be retaken as an opposing player entered the box before it was taken. The ref messed up and put a indirect free kick.

So there is a huge difference.

Just call me JFK

WTF .... are UEFA and FIFA totally braindamaged? on 13:25 - Apr 10 with 4035 viewsUxbridge

WTF .... are UEFA and FIFA totally braindamaged? on 13:05 - Apr 10 by somersetsimon

I'm not sure that the West Brom incident was a misinterpretation of the rules. I assumed that the officials thought the ball came off a Swansea player.

I'm struggling to think of an example relating to the Swans where the referee saw an incident clearly, but made a rules mistake. I'm sure someone will come up with one!

If it was anyone other than Lee Mason I'd be inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt

WTF .... are UEFA and FIFA totally braindamaged? on 13:51 - Apr 10 with 3992 viewsTom1912

WTF .... are UEFA and FIFA totally braindamaged? on 07:32 - Apr 10 by SkipTheJack

Your example is not the same thing. Yours involves an incorrect interpretation of events. This involves an incorrect application of the laws based on a correct interpretation of events.
WTF .... are UEFA and FIFA totally braindamaged? on 13:51 - Apr 10 with 3992 viewsItchySphincter

WTF .... are UEFA and FIFA totally braindamaged? on 12:13 - Apr 10 by JackSomething

I'm not saying this is a good situation and it has been handled with typical UEFA lunacy, but at least the correct outcome has been achieved.

What if the same situation occurred to us in a cup semi-final say? Would you rather we miss out on a place in a cup final because of a clear and blatant referee error than replay the last few moments at a later date?

It's a terrible way to reach the right conclusion, but for me it's better than cheating a team.

Nope, referees are bad enough without being undermined and hung out to dry. Right or wrong decisions made by the officials at the time should stand, cards excepted. How long before a scored penalty gets overturned because of a dive altering a result? Barmy. .....and being as you believe there is a precedent already set for reversing the out come of games why wasn't France pulled up when Terry Henry cheated the Oirish?

WTF .... are UEFA and FIFA totally braindamaged? on 14:10 - Apr 10 with 3964 viewsSkipTheJack

WTF .... are UEFA and FIFA totally braindamaged? on 13:51 - Apr 10 by Tom1912

Your example is not the same thing. Yours involves an incorrect interpretation of events. This involves an incorrect application of the laws based on a correct interpretation of events.

TBH I haven't even seen the West Brom incident! I used it as an example based upon Laudrup's complaint at the time, which was that the officials saw when happened but failed to correctly apply the laws. If that wasn't what happened then I stand corrected.
WTF .... are UEFA and FIFA totally braindamaged? on 14:18 - Apr 10 with 3942 viewsJackSomething

WTF .... are UEFA and FIFA totally braindamaged? on 13:51 - Apr 10 by ItchySphincter

Nope, referees are bad enough without being undermined and hung out to dry. Right or wrong decisions made by the officials at the time should stand, cards excepted. How long before a scored penalty gets overturned because of a dive altering a result? Barmy. .....and being as you believe there is a precedent already set for reversing the out come of games why wasn't France pulled up when Terry Henry cheated the Oirish?

Because again those aren't the same situation. In both those examples, the decisions are based on an individual referee's judgement. This highlights, by the way, how difficult video evidence would be to implement. Some pundits with the benefit of replays think that Meyler's tackle last Saturday shouldn't have been a red card! It comes down to interpretation.

What happened in this match was an official clearly applied the rules incorrectly. She correctly disallowed the penalty for encroachment, but then incorrectly gave Norway a freekick instead of allowing the penalty to be retaken. This is nothing to do with undermining a referee, it's correcting a clear mistake for the benefit of the game, no matter how farcical the situation has become.

WTF .... are UEFA and FIFA totally braindamaged? on 14:25 - Apr 10 with 3929 viewsKennedy

Jacksomething has nailed it.

The referee seen the incident but then incorrectly gave the wrong outcome to the team. A freekick and not a retaken penalty.

This has happened before, maybe as it was a home nation involved they media decided to blow things up

Just call me JFK

WTF .... are UEFA and FIFA totally braindamaged? on 14:28 - Apr 10 with 3923 viewsItchySphincter

Right, so a referee fuk up due to incompetence can be overturned whereas the old "I didn't see it guv" excuse means other equal serious fuk ups can't be undone. Makes mockery of the whole retrospective action thing aswell because even if a referee screws it up but then puts it in his report he did see it and therefor it can't be undone.

I'm not having trouble understanding the point you are making I'm just saying it's boIIocks. The point. Not the explanation.

WTF .... are UEFA and FIFA totally braindamaged? on 14:39 - Apr 10 with 3906 viewsItchySphincter

Remember that game a few years back when West Ham kicked off in the first then again in the second half? Clearly the ref would have seen it and clearly a breech of the rules so an obvious referring cock up where the wrong rule was applied. Why was 't the second half of that game replayed?

WTF .... are UEFA and FIFA totally braindamaged? on 14:57 - Apr 10 with 3882 viewsJackSomething

WTF .... are UEFA and FIFA totally braindamaged? on 14:28 - Apr 10 by ItchySphincter

Right, so a referee fuk up due to incompetence can be overturned whereas the old "I didn't see it guv" excuse means other equal serious fuk ups can't be undone. Makes mockery of the whole retrospective action thing aswell because even if a referee screws it up but then puts it in his report he did see it and therefor it can't be undone.

I'm not having trouble understanding the point you are making I'm just saying it's boIIocks. The point. Not the explanation.

Now that I agree with.

I always think back to Madley's penalty decision against Stoke. I'm pretty sure MOTD showed that there was no way he was in a position to see the 'handball' from Routledge, his view was blocked. Therefore at best he made a guess, at worst he outright cheated. Routledge had pissed him off minutes before by taking ages to come over to him to be booked. It doesn't take a conspiracy theorist to smell a rat.

I wish we'd have kicked up a stink about that until the FA had to comment on it publicly.

WTF .... are UEFA and FIFA totally braindamaged? on 15:00 - Apr 10 with 3873 viewsJackSomething

WTF .... are UEFA and FIFA totally braindamaged? on 14:39 - Apr 10 by ItchySphincter

Remember that game a few years back when West Ham kicked off in the first then again in the second half? Clearly the ref would have seen it and clearly a breech of the rules so an obvious referring cock up where the wrong rule was applied. Why was 't the second half of that game replayed?

I'm guessing they could argue that mistake had little material impact on the game, unlike a last minute penalty.

The Mail article says that Poll was told by Aussie players and officials that they would have made an official request for the game to be replayed after his 3 yellow card performance at the World Cup, had Croatia won the match. That would have been very interesting.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024