Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anyone have a spare $3.8 million laying around? Perfectly resstored Spiafire 22:48 - May 4 with 5398 viewsDavillin

Check it out at:

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2015/05/04/fully-restored-wwii-fighter-plane-up-f

And do not miss the video at the link in the third paragraph!

O.K., pony up!

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

Anyone have a spare $3.8 million laying around? Perfectly resstored Spiafire on 00:24 - May 5 with 3672 viewsTreforys_Jack

There was a documentary about this restoration project. The guy involved was Guy Martin who does allsorts for chennel 4. He's a motorcycle speed freak. Cracking documentary, showing the final 12 mths or so of the project. The prop cost £125,000 if I remember correctly. The 2 women at the start of the video were the pilots daughters.
[Post edited 5 May 2015 0:43]
Anyone have a spare $3.8 million laying around? Perfectly resstored Spiafire on 00:26 - May 5 with 3668 viewsBanosswan

Anyone have a spare $3.8 million laying around? Perfectly resstored Spiafire on 00:24 - May 5 by Treforys_Jack

There was a documentary about this restoration project. The guy involved was Guy Martin who does allsorts for chennel 4. He's a motorcycle speed freak. Cracking documentary, showing the final 12 mths or so of the project. The prop cost £125,000 if I remember correctly. The 2 women at the start of the video were the pilots daughters.
[Post edited 5 May 2015 0:43]

Ross noble Geordie comic?

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

Anyone have a spare $3.8 million laying around? Perfectly resstored Spiafire on 00:27 - May 5 with 3666 viewsTreforys_Jack

Sorry wrong fella, thanks Guy Martin doh !!!!!!! cheers Bano
[Post edited 5 May 2015 0:35]
Anyone have a spare $3.8 million laying around? Perfectly resstored Spiafire on 00:44 - May 5 with 3647 viewsBanosswan

Anyone have a spare $3.8 million laying around? Perfectly resstored Spiafire on 00:27 - May 5 by Treforys_Jack

Sorry wrong fella, thanks Guy Martin doh !!!!!!! cheers Bano
[Post edited 5 May 2015 0:35]

I'm gutted, that would've been class.

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

Anyone have a spare $3.8 million laying around? Perfectly resstored Spiafire on 04:05 - May 5 with 3628 viewsHumpty

The most beautiful aircraft manufactured ever, at any time.

Putting aside it's vital importance to us as a nation, nothing man made that has ever flown looks that good. Full stop. Period for Dav.
Anyone have a spare $3.8 million laying around? Perfectly resstored Spiafire on 09:25 - May 5 with 3592 viewsNogginthenog

Anyone have a spare $3.8 million laying around? Perfectly resstored Spiafire on 04:05 - May 5 by Humpty

The most beautiful aircraft manufactured ever, at any time.

Putting aside it's vital importance to us as a nation, nothing man made that has ever flown looks that good. Full stop. Period for Dav.

I is a classically beautiful aircraft for sure, and another British design that looks good and flew just as well is the jet age Hawker Hunter, My two all time favourites.
Anyone have a spare $3.8 million laying around? Perfectly resstored Spiafire on 09:57 - May 5 with 3582 viewsGreatBritton

Anyone have a spare $3.8 million laying around? Perfectly resstored Spiafire on 09:25 - May 5 by Nogginthenog

I is a classically beautiful aircraft for sure, and another British design that looks good and flew just as well is the jet age Hawker Hunter, My two all time favourites.

I had a lot of time for the Sopwith Camel
Anyone have a spare $3.8 million laying around? Perfectly resstored Spiafire on 11:10 - May 5 with 3566 viewsTreforys_Jack

I went to an air show last year and got talking to an old gent from Skewen who flew Spitfires during the war. He told me when he was discharged and was travelling back home, as he went past St Athan, there was field after field of Spitfires waiting to be decommissioned. Many were sold off to other countries but hundreds were scrapped. Amazing what they would be worth today.
Login to get fewer ads

Anyone have a spare $3.8 million laying around? Perfectly resstored Spiafire on 11:31 - May 5 with 3558 viewsbluenile

Anyone have a spare $3.8 million laying around? Perfectly resstored Spiafire on 09:57 - May 5 by GreatBritton

You mean you had a lot of time for that Sopwith bird's Camel Toe.........................
[Post edited 5 May 2015 11:32]

Open the ipod bay doors Hal

Anyone have a spare $3.8 million laying around? Perfectly resstored Spiafire on 13:16 - May 5 with 3531 viewsLord_Bony

Thank God for Frank Mitchell and his invention of the Spitfire.

It is no exageration to say that aircraft litererally saved the world!

Had it not been around during the Batlle of Britain in 1940 we would have lost the battle,the Nazis would have invaded and the world including America would have fallen.

The perfect war machine in service at just the right time.

Beautiful aircraft...based on the flight of a seagull.....

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Anyone have a spare $3.8 million laying around? Perfectly resstored Spiafire on 13:53 - May 5 with 3504 viewscontroversial_jack

Anyone have a spare $3.8 million laying around? Perfectly resstored Spiafire on 13:16 - May 5 by Lord_Bony

Had it not been around during the Batlle of Britain in 1940 we would have lost the battle,the Nazis would have invaded and the world including America would have fallen.

Apparently, the Hurricane shot down more than the spitfire did
Anyone have a spare $3.8 million laying around? Perfectly resstored Spiafire on 14:06 - May 5 with 3492 viewsmacthejack

Anyone have a spare $3.8 million laying around? Perfectly resstored Spiafire on 09:57 - May 5 by GreatBritton

I'm a big fan of the malodorous runt wasting everybody's time.
Anyone have a spare $3.8 million laying around? Perfectly resstored Spiafire on 14:32 - May 5 with 3480 viewsLord_Bony

Anyone have a spare $3.8 million laying around? Perfectly resstored Spiafire on 13:53 - May 5 by controversial_jack

During the battle both aircraft performed admirably using cutting edge technology at the time.There were a lot more Hurricanes in service in 1940 but the roles were slightly different..the Hurricanes went after the bombers and the Spits went after the fighters mainly.

I doubt just Hurricanes alone would have won the battle even though they played an equally important part in it against the Me109s and Heinkel 111 s...

[Post edited 5 May 2015 14:46]

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"

Anyone have a spare $3.8 million laying around? Perfectly resstored Spiafire on 15:30 - May 5 with 3452 viewsTreforys_Jack

Anyone have a spare $3.8 million laying around? Perfectly resstored Spiafire on 13:53 - May 5 by controversial_jack

During the BoB, absolutely correct, but were then superseded by the Spitfire mk4 I believe. There is a Battle of Britain display in the RAF museum in Hendon, where there is a Spit and a Hurricane next to each other, goosebumps I tell you.
[Post edited 6 May 2015 4:36]
Anyone have a spare $3.8 million laying around? Perfectly resstored Spiafire on 19:15 - May 5 with 3396 viewsicecoldjack

Anyone have a spare $3.8 million laying around? Perfectly resstored Spiafire on 13:16 - May 5 by Lord_Bony

The hurricane gets a poor press in comparison to the Spitfire but i think many are aware this was the plane that really saved the day, especially as they were able to patch it up alot quicker due to its construction of wood and metal ,sometimes fabric coverings .

An upgraded propeller made it better and it accounted for 60% of the kills in the Battle of Britain.

The spitfire though is one bloody beautiful looking plane, if we had direct injection like the germans instead of carbs the Spitfire probably would have been untouchable.

The Guy Martin documentary about building the Spitfire is one of the best i've seen .
Anyone have a spare $3.8 million laying around? Perfectly resstored Spiafire on 21:22 - May 5 with 3359 viewsDavillin

As a tot during WW2, I was absolutely airplane-mad! The Spit was far and away my favourite, and still is.

Here's a photo of me with the first rubber-band flying model I ever built [during the war[. That's my dear sister with me.

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

Anyone have a spare $3.8 million laying around? Perfectly resstored Spiafire on 21:35 - May 5 with 3351 viewsLeonisGod

I'm surprised it's going to auction. Surely something like this is priceless and should be in a national museum somewhere (unless the expectation is that a museum will buy it rather than a private collector - haven't read article).
Anyone have a spare $3.8 million laying around? Perfectly resstored Spiafire on 22:29 - May 5 with 3328 viewsTreforys_Jack

Anyone have a spare $3.8 million laying around? Perfectly resstored Spiafire on 21:35 - May 5 by LeonisGod

I'm surprised it's going to auction. Surely something like this is priceless and should be in a national museum somewhere (unless the expectation is that a museum will buy it rather than a private collector - haven't read article).

There are quite a few airworthy Spitfires around, IWM in Duxford run around 5. These fly regularly during their airshows. There are 2 - 2 seaters in the UK I believe, which you can book a flight in. Will cost you a cool £17,000. Battle of Britain memorial flight run another 4 and 2 Hurricanes which are far rarer. Not forgetting my favorite the mighty Lanc where there only 2 airworthy examples left. 1 in the battle of Britain memorial flight and the other in Canada. There is another in East Anglia which is privatly owned by a couple of farmers who bought an old RAF base.They opened a museum to bomber command in memory of their brother who was killed on a mission. Currently its not yet airworthy, although I think they are trying to raise around £2,000,000 to put her back in the sky.
There is a web site listing all the airworthy, Spitfires, Hurricanes, Thunderbolts, War Hawks etc
Anyone have a spare $3.8 million laying around? Perfectly resstored Spiafire on 06:17 - May 6 with 3280 viewsDr_Winston

America would never have fallen to either Germany or Japan. They were too strong, too able to manufacture materiel and troops for that. The Russians would have eventually beaten the Germans too.

Worst case scenario for them is control of the pacific region with a Soviet dominated Europe.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Anyone have a spare $3.8 million laying around? Perfectly resstored Spiafire on 09:53 - May 6 with 3247 viewsLord_Bony

Nein Herr Doktor, I

If.the Fuerher had stuck to the original plan of invading us then the oil fields.of the Middle East then joining the Japanese in India thereby conquering Europe and Asia then it.would.have been a different world.
America would have.been isolated.and still a.neutral, militarily weak country at that point as was Russia.

Plenty of.oil.and.winning.the arms.race.for.nuclear.weapons.could.have.seen an entirely different.world.....had we lost.the Battle.of.Britain and.Hitler had not lost.the.plot.
[Post edited 6 May 2015 9:54]

Anyone have a spare $3.8 million laying around? Perfectly resstored Spiafire on 12:04 - May 6 with 3207 viewscontroversial_jack

Anyone have a spare $3.8 million laying around? Perfectly resstored Spiafire on 09:53 - May 6 by Lord_Bony

Nein Herr Doktor, I

If.the Fuerher had stuck to the original plan of invading us then the oil fields.of the Middle East then joining the Japanese in India thereby conquering Europe and Asia then it.would.have been a different world.
America would have.been isolated.and still a.neutral, militarily weak country at that point as was Russia.

Plenty of.oil.and.winning.the arms.race.for.nuclear.weapons.could.have.seen an entirely different.world.....had we lost.the Battle.of.Britain and.Hitler had not lost.the.plot.
[Post edited 6 May 2015 9:54]

The battles of the skies were crucial. If we had lost that we would not have been able to supply air cover for the convoys, no supplies would have got through and no American troops would have been able to land in the UK.

The Germans could have walked into the east coast of America cities as most of the US fleet was in the pacific. The US only had about a 100,000 strong military at the time - very weak indeed and poor quality as well
Anyone have a spare $3.8 million laying around? Perfectly resstored Spiafire on 17:26 - May 6 with 3169 viewsDr_Winston

Anyone have a spare $3.8 million laying around? Perfectly resstored Spiafire on 12:04 - May 6 by controversial_jack

The battles of the skies were crucial. If we had lost that we would not have been able to supply air cover for the convoys, no supplies would have got through and no American troops would have been able to land in the UK.

The Germans could have walked into the east coast of America cities as most of the US fleet was in the pacific. The US only had about a 100,000 strong military at the time - very weak indeed and poor quality as well

How exactly were the Germans or Japanese going to transport the hundreds of thousands of troops and tonnes of equipment required across a minimum of 3,000 miles of ocean in order to invade the US? Getting 100 miles from the South Coast to Normandy was tricky enough.

There was not a chance in hell that America was ever going to be invaded, and with their resources, industrial capacity, knowledge base and ability to wage war nobody would ever have seriously tried to do it to them, not to mention the heavily armed civilian population that would have needed even more troops to pacify.

We'd have ended up with the same Cold War situation, only with a Soviet Bloc comprising most of Western Europe too.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Anyone have a spare $3.8 million laying around? Perfectly resstored Spiafire on 20:30 - May 6 with 3145 viewscontroversial_jack

Anyone have a spare $3.8 million laying around? Perfectly resstored Spiafire on 17:26 - May 6 by Dr_Winston

How exactly were the Germans or Japanese going to transport the hundreds of thousands of troops and tonnes of equipment required across a minimum of 3,000 miles of ocean in order to invade the US? Getting 100 miles from the South Coast to Normandy was tricky enough.

There was not a chance in hell that America was ever going to be invaded, and with their resources, industrial capacity, knowledge base and ability to wage war nobody would ever have seriously tried to do it to them, not to mention the heavily armed civilian population that would have needed even more troops to pacify.

We'd have ended up with the same Cold War situation, only with a Soviet Bloc comprising most of Western Europe too.

They would have had the British fleet to transport them. The Atlantic would have been clear and they would have had a free run. America at that time wasn't the powerhouse it is today, their manufacturing capacity wasn't up to strength at the time.

They would have captured the main east coast cities and it would have paralysed the country. Game over. Hitler did have a plan to do just this
Anyone have a spare $3.8 million laying around? Perfectly resstored Spiafire on 20:52 - May 6 with 3134 viewsDr_Winston

Anyone have a spare $3.8 million laying around? Perfectly resstored Spiafire on 20:30 - May 6 by controversial_jack

They would have had the British fleet to transport them. The Atlantic would have been clear and they would have had a free run. America at that time wasn't the powerhouse it is today, their manufacturing capacity wasn't up to strength at the time.

They would have captured the main east coast cities and it would have paralysed the country. Game over. Hitler did have a plan to do just this

The British fleet would have been scuttled long before the Germans got hold of it, even if it was big enough to transport a couple of hundred thousand troops, which it wasn't.

Anyone have a spare $3.8 million laying around? Perfectly resstored Spiafire on 21:57 - May 6 with 3107 viewsLord_Bony

Let's not forget the Germans were on the verge of atomic bomb and had intercontinental ballistic missiles in V2. They would have nuked the yanks into.submission.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024