Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Swansea 2026 Commonwealth Games 15:45 - May 26 with 2202 viewsscottishjack

Thoughts on this idea? Ambition is critical etc. Would be a major thing for Swansea if this could be pulled off!

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/could-swansea-host-commonwealth-gam
Swansea 2026 Commonwealth Games on 16:15 - May 26 with 2174 viewsWxmJax

A great big no. Poor road infrastructure, nowhere near enough hotels to accommodate the competitors on Oystermouth Road let alone visitors etc etc....... pie in the sky.

Poll: England, General Election: How are you going to vote ?

Swansea 2026 Commonwealth Games on 16:21 - May 26 with 2167 viewsscottishjack

Swansea 2026 Commonwealth Games on 16:15 - May 26 by WxmJax

A great big no. Poor road infrastructure, nowhere near enough hotels to accommodate the competitors on Oystermouth Road let alone visitors etc etc....... pie in the sky.

All these things would have to be sorted, even more incentive to give it a try surely? If Cardiff is going to be the political and business centre for Wales, then Swansea needs an identity? Could sport and leisure be our "thing"?
Swansea 2026 Commonwealth Games on 16:42 - May 26 with 2138 viewsScoobyWho

Swansea 2026 Commonwealth Games on 16:21 - May 26 by scottishjack

All these things would have to be sorted, even more incentive to give it a try surely? If Cardiff is going to be the political and business centre for Wales, then Swansea needs an identity? Could sport and leisure be our "thing"?

Townhill for leisure, Landore for sport ?

DGT Bullshit Connoisseur.
Poll: Election 2015 Thread : Who will you vote for ?

Swansea 2026 Commonwealth Games on 16:46 - May 26 with 2133 viewsswansealad69

Lol biggest pile bull shy I've seen
We been for the haford bypass for years and u think our glorious assembly will help us in anyway
Swansea 2026 Commonwealth Games on 17:35 - May 26 with 2102 viewsscottishjack

Swansea 2026 Commonwealth Games on 16:46 - May 26 by swansealad69

Lol biggest pile bull shy I've seen
We been for the haford bypass for years and u think our glorious assembly will help us in anyway

We won't know unless we ask though eh?
Swansea 2026 Commonwealth Games on 17:43 - May 26 with 2094 viewsscottishjack

Swansea 2026 Commonwealth Games on 16:42 - May 26 by ScoobyWho

Townhill for leisure, Landore for sport ?

Why not? The marathon runners would be setting world records all over the shop with a 26 mile sprint around some parts...

But on a serious note, why not go for it? Lets show some ambition for Swansea? The Tidal lagoon, city centre redevelopment, this would be the icing on the cake. Joined with Neath, Port Talbot, it could be a source of major redevelopment, and riding the crest of the Swans premier league wave could really put Swansea Bay on the map.

Or shall I just stick to chasing unicorns around rainbows?
Swansea 2026 Commonwealth Games on 17:49 - May 26 with 2084 viewslondonlisa2001

Swansea 2026 Commonwealth Games on 16:15 - May 26 by WxmJax

That's what the £500m gets spent on.

It's exactly the sort of thing that we should be doing as a city. The biggest problem would not be the infrastructure, but getting any support whatsoever from the WAG who would come up with 99 reasons why it would be better for everyone in Wales, including everyone in Swansea, if the games went to Cardiff. And everyone in Swansea would moan, and immediately vote back in all the AMs who voted for it to go to Cardiff, because that's what people do.

The only hope, is that Terry Matthews may just have enough about him as head of Swansea Bay, to make this sort of thing happen.
Swansea 2026 Commonwealth Games on 17:55 - May 26 with 2070 viewsC_jack

Why not, and perhaps it would be the push the city needs to get something going for itself.

Lots of research to connect hosting these events with positive regeneration. Barcelona was a pit in 92 before the Olympics rode into town.

Poll: Who did you vote for today, in the general election?

Login to get fewer ads

Swansea 2026 Commonwealth Games on 18:33 - May 26 with 2036 viewsClinton

It takes weeks to put in a new pedestrian crossing at the bottom of high street, how can we pull off a commonwealth games? It would be a disaster. Fact.

If you can fill the unforgiving minute. With sixty seconds' worth of distance run, Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it, And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

Swansea 2026 Commonwealth Games on 19:29 - May 26 with 1999 viewsBanosswan

Swansea 2026 Commonwealth Games on 17:49 - May 26 by londonlisa2001

It's exactly the sort of thing that we should be doing as a city. The biggest problem would not be the infrastructure, but getting any support whatsoever from the WAG who would come up with 99 reasons why it would be better for everyone in Wales, including everyone in Swansea, if the games went to Cardiff. And everyone in Swansea would moan, and immediately vote back in all the AMs who voted for it to go to Cardiff, because that's what people do.

The only hope, is that Terry Matthews may just have enough about him as head of Swansea Bay, to make this sort of thing happen.

Carwyn has already said no

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

Swansea 2026 Commonwealth Games on 19:39 - May 26 with 1990 viewsscottishjack

Swansea 2026 Commonwealth Games on 18:33 - May 26 by Clinton

It takes weeks to put in a new pedestrian crossing at the bottom of high street, how can we pull off a commonwealth games? It would be a disaster. Fact.

On the other hand it could be the best thing to happen for Swansea in a long time! Why are we so quick to put our city down? Opportunity is always met with suspicion in these parts... We are quick enough to moan about Cardiff getting all the money yet chances come our way and we moan!

Let's at least put ourselves out there ffs!
Or, we can just bitch and moan and sit on our arse..."It's not fair, bloody Cardiff get everything" grumble, moan etc...

It could be amazing...if we embrace it!
Swansea 2026 Commonwealth Games on 21:11 - May 26 with 1923 viewslondonlisa2001

Swansea 2026 Commonwealth Games on 19:29 - May 26 by Banosswan

Carwyn has already said no

what a surprise.

The man is an utter disgrace.

I was a huge supporter of the formation of the WAG. I am now firmly of the view that every area other than Cardiff would be significantly better off if it was disbanded. There would be more fairness from the UK government than there is from the Welsh Government. It's incredibly sad.

Imagine Glasgow putting up with this sort of crap.
Swansea 2026 Commonwealth Games on 21:15 - May 26 with 1920 viewsJackofdreambeach

Put this before our leaders at Assembly and the likely reaction ' hey guys you have an extra carriage on the mumbles land train, what more do you want ?'
Pool in the chronic shortsightedness of our local authority and you don't have a good recipe for dynamic regeneration and attracting such prestigious events.

I think Carwyn and the WAG believe SA1 to be a success. The fact that nothing bar (Eastern Bloc ) housing has gone up in the last ten years seems to have passed certain people by.

They know that huge commercial elements have not been delivered here. Commonwealth games host city. Let's get some 21st century city centre regeneration first.
Swansea 2026 Commonwealth Games on 21:38 - May 26 with 1892 viewsLeonisGod

As long as there's a nice big shiny stadium in it for us (can we wait that long?).
Swansea 2026 Commonwealth Games on 21:55 - May 26 with 1867 viewsBanosswan

Swansea 2026 Commonwealth Games on 21:11 - May 26 by londonlisa2001

what a surprise.

The man is an utter disgrace.

I was a huge supporter of the formation of the WAG. I am now firmly of the view that every area other than Cardiff would be significantly better off if it was disbanded. There would be more fairness from the UK government than there is from the Welsh Government. It's incredibly sad.

Imagine Glasgow putting up with this sort of crap.

He said Wales couldn't support it. So in other words, give it a few weeks for this to die down then launch cardiff's bid.

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

Swansea 2026 Commonwealth Games on 21:57 - May 26 with 1864 viewsscottishjack

Swansea 2026 Commonwealth Games on 21:38 - May 26 by LeonisGod

As long as there's a nice big shiny stadium in it for us (can we wait that long?).

I had that in mind as well...
Swansea 2026 Commonwealth Games on 22:00 - May 26 with 1856 viewsscottishjack

Swansea 2026 Commonwealth Games on 21:55 - May 26 by Banosswan

He said Wales couldn't support it. So in other words, give it a few weeks for this to die down then launch cardiff's bid.

That also crossed my mind...!

Lets be positive folks, ffs!
Swansea 2026 Commonwealth Games on 22:39 - May 26 with 1820 viewsskippyjack

New Sports for the games..

Billiards
Canoeing
Football
Golf
Life Saving
Rugby League
Sailing
Softball
Taekwondo
Volleyball

The awkward moment when a Welsh Club become the Champions of England.. shh The Swansea Way.. To upset the odds.
Poll: Best Swans Player

Swansea 2026 Commonwealth Games on 07:29 - May 27 with 1749 viewsdgt73

Would be great, but can't see it happening. Why ? Because the WAG thinks Wales ends at junction 33 on the M4. Devolution was a huge mistake for Wales except for Kardiff. Imo we'd be better off being governed directly from Westminster.

Poll: Have Swansea got some of the most negative w@nkers following them

Swansea 2026 Commonwealth Games on 07:36 - May 27 with 1743 viewsdgt73

Swansea 2026 Commonwealth Games on 17:49 - May 26 by londonlisa2001

I 100% agree with you Lisa. The powers that be in kardiff will never let Swansea have such a prestigious event such as this. If it comes to Wales, no doubt it will go to cardiff.

Poll: Have Swansea got some of the most negative w@nkers following them

Swansea 2026 Commonwealth Games on 09:06 - May 27 with 1715 viewsItchySphincter

Swansea already has the sporting infrastructure for a major games. A bit of civic regeneration required and that's about it.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

(No subject) (n/t) on 09:25 - May 27 with 1703 viewscymrojack

[Post edited 10 Jun 2021 11:22]

Gwynedd & Swansea - Veteran of Morriston Boys Club

Swansea 2026 Commonwealth Games on 09:43 - May 27 with 1692 viewsItchySphincter

(No subject) (n/t) on 09:25 - May 27 by cymrojack

[Post edited 10 Jun 2021 11:22]

They throw Carmarthen a bone every few years at the expense of Swansea and Llanelli. That keeps the welshies on board.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Swansea 2026 Commonwealth Games on 10:13 - May 27 with 1683 viewsfather_jack

welsh labour.

DRINK, FECK, GIRRRRLLSSS!

Swansea 2026 Commonwealth Games on 14:58 - May 28 with 1584 viewsyescomeon

Swansea 2026 Commonwealth Games on 09:43 - May 27 by ItchySphincter

They throw Carmarthen a bone every few years at the expense of Swansea and Llanelli. That keeps the welshies on board.

There is a lot more Wales up north too.

Upthecity!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024