Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Monk Drops Chelsea Selection Hint? 08:55 - Aug 3 with 6458 viewsPhil_S

Sometimes it is interesting just second guessing what it is that managers say when they say things - Alex Ferguson was a master at it, Arsene Wenger has his moments and Jose Mourinho is....well, let's just say interesting! But was Garry dropping a hint when he talked to the press yesterday about his team selection for Saturday's opener against Chelsea?

Full story at http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/news/39520/monk-drops-chelsea-

Would You Pick Jonjo Shelvey or Gylfi Sigurdsson Against Chelsea?

Your Vote:

You need to be logged in to vote on our site polls

Monk Drops Chelsea Selection Hint? on 11:19 - Aug 3 with 3667 viewsFlashberryjack

Both

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Monk Drops Chelsea Selection Hint? on 12:14 - Aug 3 with 3601 viewsGlyn1

If that really is the choice, we're away to the champions who were almost invincible at Stamford Bridge and easily beat us there last season. So select the better defender, and that's Jonjo.

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

Monk Drops Chelsea Selection Hint? on 12:36 - Aug 3 with 3553 viewsUplandsJack

It's Jon Jo for me without a doubt... This lad is going to go up another level this season...
Monk Drops Chelsea Selection Hint? on 13:03 - Aug 3 with 3482 viewssnork44

Monk Drops Chelsea Selection Hint? on 12:36 - Aug 3 by UplandsJack

It's Jon Jo for me without a doubt... This lad is going to go up another level this season...

I am a big Siggy fan , but JJS has got something about him that I think will make him the stand out player this season. It is a very difficult decision and don't envy Monk one bit on this one!

Premier Snork now watching from the USA
Poll: What do you prefer on Planet Swans after a game?

Monk Drops Chelsea Selection Hint? on 13:20 - Aug 3 with 3430 viewsRobert

Monk Drops Chelsea Selection Hint? on 13:03 - Aug 3 by snork44

I am a big Siggy fan , but JJS has got something about him that I think will make him the stand out player this season. It is a very difficult decision and don't envy Monk one bit on this one!

Siggy scored 9 goals and set up 10 last season and finds himself out of the team now. He has done nothing to deserve that.

If I were him I would ask for a transfer because Monk suddenly doesn't trust him.
[Post edited 3 Aug 2015 13:21]
Monk Drops Chelsea Selection Hint? on 13:38 - Aug 3 with 3387 viewsUplandsJack

Monk Drops Chelsea Selection Hint? on 13:20 - Aug 3 by Robert

Siggy scored 9 goals and set up 10 last season and finds himself out of the team now. He has done nothing to deserve that.

If I were him I would ask for a transfer because Monk suddenly doesn't trust him.
[Post edited 3 Aug 2015 13:21]

Sorry Robert but i just dont agree....
Think back to last season and from Christmas he picked up a suspension and then an injury and from there on in was less effective. He has also not quite reached the levels he showed the 1st half of last season yet so no real reason to complain as far as I'm concerned and to be quite honest if he did start complaining and asking for transfer request, I'd say get rid of him asap... we need players committed to the squad and hungry to fight for a place ....
Monk Drops Chelsea Selection Hint? on 13:55 - Aug 3 with 3343 viewsRobert

Monk Drops Chelsea Selection Hint? on 13:38 - Aug 3 by UplandsJack

Sorry Robert but i just dont agree....
Think back to last season and from Christmas he picked up a suspension and then an injury and from there on in was less effective. He has also not quite reached the levels he showed the 1st half of last season yet so no real reason to complain as far as I'm concerned and to be quite honest if he did start complaining and asking for transfer request, I'd say get rid of him asap... we need players committed to the squad and hungry to fight for a place ....

He scored 6 in the 24 games he played before he received the red card, 25%
He scored 3 in the 11 games he played after his suspension, 27%.

If the manager does not trust you it is usually better to go. But I think Gylfi will not go because he has said that he loves everything about Swansea.
Monk Drops Chelsea Selection Hint? on 13:58 - Aug 3 with 3324 viewsPhil_S

Monk Drops Chelsea Selection Hint? on 13:55 - Aug 3 by Robert

If the manager does not trust you it is usually better to go. But I think Gylfi will not go because he has said that he loves everything about Swansea.

And you have nothing to base your assumption on that the manager doesn't trust him.

Nothing at all
Login to get fewer ads

Monk Drops Chelsea Selection Hint? on 14:12 - Aug 3 with 3299 viewsRobert

Monk Drops Chelsea Selection Hint? on 13:58 - Aug 3 by Phil_S

And you have nothing to base your assumption on that the manager doesn't trust him.

Nothing at all

He did not start him in the final game before the season starts.
Monk Drops Chelsea Selection Hint? on 14:26 - Aug 3 with 3276 viewsGlyn1

Monk Drops Chelsea Selection Hint? on 14:12 - Aug 3 by Robert

The starting line-up for that match won't be the starting line-up against Chelsea.

Monk Drops Chelsea Selection Hint? on 14:33 - Aug 3 with 3265 viewsRobert

Monk Drops Chelsea Selection Hint? on 14:26 - Aug 3 by Glyn1

The starting line-up for that match won't be the starting line-up against Chelsea.

Maybe not.
Monk Drops Chelsea Selection Hint? on 14:39 - Aug 3 with 3257 viewsUplandsJack

Monk Drops Chelsea Selection Hint? on 13:55 - Aug 3 by Robert

Robert your stats regarding goals scored and when, may be correct. But he definately went missing during games a lot after the period I mentioned, than he ever did before when he was instrumental in almost everything going forward... it may have had something to do with Wilf going as they seemed to have an impressive understanding of each others presence and position...
Monk Drops Chelsea Selection Hint? on 14:43 - Aug 3 with 3250 viewsPhil_S

Monk Drops Chelsea Selection Hint? on 14:12 - Aug 3 by Robert

Are you serious? So from that you have drawn the conclusion that the manager doesn't trust him.

Madness...
Monk Drops Chelsea Selection Hint? on 14:44 - Aug 3 with 3248 viewsjasper_T

Jonjo doesn't work half as hard as Gylfi at pressing the ball, and for every great pass he makes there's still one shocker. Sigurdsson's set plays are also the best chance for us to nick a goal or two.

Jonjo only scores when he can smack one in off someone else's arse, and if we're keeping men back to defend there'll be no one to hit.

Gylfi in front of Ki & Cork for me, no contest. Monk loves Jonjo, though, so he'll drop either Gylfi or Ki to make way.
Monk Drops Chelsea Selection Hint? on 15:00 - Aug 3 with 3230 viewsRobert

Monk Drops Chelsea Selection Hint? on 14:43 - Aug 3 by Phil_S

Are you serious? So from that you have drawn the conclusion that the manager doesn't trust him.

Madness...

You usually pick the best team you think in the last game before the first game in the league. We will see against Chelsea. Maybe a little bit too early :)

In pre-season it looked like Monk was thinking just about defending. Boring football and not many goals. I liked better the way we played first half of last season and the 3 years before that. He is slowly changing us to a parking the bus team and negative football. Monk maybe thinks that Siggy does not fit into that.
Monk Drops Chelsea Selection Hint? on 15:10 - Aug 3 with 3210 viewsPhil_S

Monk Drops Chelsea Selection Hint? on 15:00 - Aug 3 by Robert

You usually pick the best team you think in the last game before the first game in the league. We will see against Chelsea. Maybe a little bit too early :)

In pre-season it looked like Monk was thinking just about defending. Boring football and not many goals. I liked better the way we played first half of last season and the 3 years before that. He is slowly changing us to a parking the bus team and negative football. Monk maybe thinks that Siggy does not fit into that.

In your head maybe you do but there is no precedent to back this up at all

Certainly not a precedent to say that the manager doesn't trust the player which is barking at best...

And the manager isn't turning us into a park the bus team -that's as mad as your suggestion Monk doesn't trust Gylfi...

This post has been edited by an administrator
Monk Drops Chelsea Selection Hint? on 15:28 - Aug 3 with 3161 viewsjasper_T

If I was looking for a player not to trust against Chelsea it would be Fernandez. Two games, both absolute shockers.

In fairness one was his debut coming on as a sub, but still.
Monk Drops Chelsea Selection Hint? on 15:42 - Aug 3 with 3128 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Just because a manager doesn't select a player for a specific game doesn't mean he has no trust in him.

It just means that he considers another player a better bet to implement the tactical plan for that specific game.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Monk Drops Chelsea Selection Hint? on 16:22 - Aug 3 with 3057 viewsJFSwan

Sigurdsson's high work rate, ball retention and quality set piece gets the nod for me.

We will need a team of hard workers to press and to keep the ball to relieve some pressure when Chelsea allow us some possession.
Also if we do not press and instead try and hold a shape, i believe Glyfi is more diciplined.

Or perhaps a defensive diamond where Ki, Cork, Jonjo and Gylfi all play.
Monk Drops Chelsea Selection Hint? on 17:18 - Aug 3 with 2958 viewsRobert

Monk Drops Chelsea Selection Hint? on 15:42 - Aug 3 by Joe_bradshaw

Just because a manager doesn't select a player for a specific game doesn't mean he has no trust in him.

It just means that he considers another player a better bet to implement the tactical plan for that specific game.

He played agains Utd. and Arsenal away last season and did well :)
If suddenly now sombody else is a better bet there is something wrong.
Monk Drops Chelsea Selection Hint? on 17:19 - Aug 3 with 2952 viewsPhil_S

Monk Drops Chelsea Selection Hint? on 17:18 - Aug 3 by Robert

How do you figure that out??
Monk Drops Chelsea Selection Hint? on 17:52 - Aug 3 with 2884 viewsGlyn1

Didn't Gylfi play as our striker against Arsenal last May, with Gomis returning from injury? So not really applicable in this case, although maybe Garry will be remembering our formation against the Gunners.

Monk Drops Chelsea Selection Hint? on 18:14 - Aug 3 with 2855 viewsDr_Winston

It may be the case that in order to get the absolute best out of Shelvey we're going to have to push him forward.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Monk Drops Chelsea Selection Hint? on 18:20 - Aug 3 with 2840 viewsJackSomething

I'd say it's the exact opposite.

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

Monk Drops Chelsea Selection Hint? on 18:22 - Aug 3 with 2832 viewsJackSomething

Monk Drops Chelsea Selection Hint? on 14:44 - Aug 3 by jasper_T

Jonjo doesn't work half as hard as Gylfi at pressing the ball, and for every great pass he makes there's still one shocker. Sigurdsson's set plays are also the best chance for us to nick a goal or two.

Jonjo only scores when he can smack one in off someone else's arse, and if we're keeping men back to defend there'll be no one to hit.

Gylfi in front of Ki & Cork for me, no contest. Monk loves Jonjo, though, so he'll drop either Gylfi or Ki to make way.

Shelvey scored at Stamford Bridge last season and I'm fairly sure it didn't hit anyone's arse. Just saying.

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024