Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Swansea blitz 22:09 - Sep 2 with 1439 viewstrampie

Watching the Wales blitz program tonight it hits home how badly Swansea was destroyed by the Germans, in the war, 40 acres of the town centre wipped out, Dylan Thomas saying ' Swansea has died'..It was the most concentrated bombing of the war.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Swansea blitz on 22:40 - Sep 2 with 1387 viewsnantywatcher

Very moving and those two older ladies (91 and 98) were so impressive.
Swansea blitz on 22:48 - Sep 2 with 1368 viewstrampie

Yes i agree those ladies were very impressive individuals.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Swansea blitz on 22:51 - Sep 2 with 1358 viewsLeonisGod

Missed it unfortunately, but I expect it will be on catchup. Some would say we could do with it again (except for the losses, obviously). The city has never really recovered from this, at least architecturally.
Swansea blitz on 23:03 - Sep 2 with 1325 viewsrockgodwillie

Fascinating programme. Shame the first 35 minutes was all about Cardiff, followed by 5 minutes on Pembroke, a further 5 minutes on Bangor which left 10 minutes to talk about Swansea before it was back to Cardiff. Well it was a bbc Wales production so what was I expecting?
Swansea blitz on 07:29 - Sep 3 with 1224 viewsyescomeon

Swansea blitz on 23:03 - Sep 2 by rockgodwillie

Fascinating programme. Shame the first 35 minutes was all about Cardiff, followed by 5 minutes on Pembroke, a further 5 minutes on Bangor which left 10 minutes to talk about Swansea before it was back to Cardiff. Well it was a bbc Wales production so what was I expecting?

Lol, imagine that. A program on the blitz in Wales actually looking at numerous places in Wales.

Upthecity!

Swansea blitz on 07:55 - Sep 3 with 1193 viewsrockgodwillie

Swansea blitz on 07:29 - Sep 3 by yescomeon

Lol, imagine that. A program on the blitz in Wales actually looking at numerous places in Wales.

It is a well known fact that Swansea was hit harder by the Luftwaffe than any other part of Wales, and yet last nights programme saw fit to dedicate 45 minutes of a 1 hr programme to Cardiff. Of course the bombing of civilians (whether intentional or not) and the subsequent loss of life, regardless of what part of Wales is tragic, but as per usual there's a hefty bias toward a that little South East corner of Wales. Anyway, a fascinating programme none the less.
Swansea blitz on 20:54 - Sep 3 with 1056 viewsPrivate_Partz

Swansea blitz on 07:55 - Sep 3 by rockgodwillie

It is a well known fact that Swansea was hit harder by the Luftwaffe than any other part of Wales, and yet last nights programme saw fit to dedicate 45 minutes of a 1 hr programme to Cardiff. Of course the bombing of civilians (whether intentional or not) and the subsequent loss of life, regardless of what part of Wales is tragic, but as per usual there's a hefty bias toward a that little South East corner of Wales. Anyway, a fascinating programme none the less.

This is exactly as I saw it. I am so anti Cardiff I refrained from bringing it up earlier due to the very sad nature if the subject. Many moons ago they did something similar and again Cardiff had the bigger element of the broadcast.
Then as now there was very little media in swansea so footage is very difficult to come by. There are however masses of pictures showing the devastation of the town. Particularly after the debris was cleared. I saw one picture taken in the 50s where there was nothing between the fire station ( now the cop shop) and Wind Street. 40 acres of a town centre wiped out.
A fascinating programme but it should have been centred on Swansea or at least it should have had the lions share of the broadcast.
No surprise really.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024