Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Areas that need strengthening 10:40 - Oct 6 with 2816 viewsmichumagic9

We really need to strengthen our fullback positions. We brought in Naughton last season and so far he has been pretty average and we have also brought in Tabanou who has yet to play in the league, so who knows what he is like and with Taylor you don't get any sought of attacking play from him and it's time for us to go out and get our selves some proper attacking fullbacks.

Suggestions: Debuchy, Tremoulinas, Robertson...
Areas that need strengthening on 11:35 - Oct 6 with 2764 viewsRichythejack

Completely agree with your assessment of Taylor. He does the bread and butter very well but he is not an attacking Full back like Ben Davies was. Tabanou should be given a chance though as i believe he is more attacking but not sure if he is as dependable in defensive duties.

Poll: Should Darran be banned from the forums?

Areas that need strengthening on 11:42 - Oct 6 with 2757 viewsjack247

Tabanou presumably hasn't played because Taylor has done very well this season? I think Naughton and Rangel cover the right pretty well between them. You do possibly need a full back to provide attacking width if Ayew or Routledge are playing, because their natural game is to drift in. With Montero or Barrow, a more defensive minded full back seems a better option to me anyway.

I would be far more concerned with our striking options. We have Gomis, who can be devastating when he is on his game, but can also be pretty ineffective if he isn't getting the right service and Eder, who like Tabanou, we haven't seen that much of.
Areas that need strengthening on 12:29 - Oct 6 with 2717 viewsDr_Winston

Fullbacks in the modern game need to be able to attack as well as defend. Taylor's never been much cop at it and Naughton's been disappointing.

Plenty of room for improvement on both sides.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Areas that need strengthening on 13:24 - Oct 6 with 2661 viewsRichythejack

Areas that need strengthening on 12:29 - Oct 6 by Dr_Winston

Fullbacks in the modern game need to be able to attack as well as defend. Taylor's never been much cop at it and Naughton's been disappointing.

Plenty of room for improvement on both sides.

With regards to Naughton, doesn’t anyone else think his first touch is poor?

One thing i will always say about Swansea players is there first touch is always a different class to most sides. Like anything with professional football if your first touch is top class your halfway there to having a professional football career.

I just think in Naughton's case because of his lack of first touch he looks nervous to push forward and lacks confidence. Defensively he has pace so can recover from mistakes but if he pushed forward this would leave him too exposed. For me this is where we miss Dyer (When he was on form). Dyer would always track back and his first touch was one of the best i have seen, without him i feel the likes of Ayew & Barrow leave Naughton too exposed and he knows this. Rangel is brimming with confidence and is much better in the attacking full back role just is getting on now and lacks the pace to compete regularly at this level.

Poll: Should Darran be banned from the forums?

Areas that need strengthening on 14:43 - Oct 6 with 2611 viewsjasper_T

Taylor is twice the defender that Davies is (now that he's back to full fitness), and playing behind Montero I don't think our left back needs to be particularly gifted in attack. Montero stays wide and doesn't use overlapping players .

He also doesn't always track back well, so Taylor's tackling and ability to match most opposing wingers for pace is great for the team. This season only Kyle Walker has really stripped him in a sprint.

Attacking full-backs are for sides that use wingers that try to play inside, which is very common in the premier league these days, because without them the team has no width. But Montero is an old-fashioned touchline player. A conservative full-back pairs well with him imo.

I'm not a fan of Naughton, but gets exposed a lot due to a lack of right wing cover, and unfairly criticised for it at times.
Areas that need strengthening on 14:49 - Oct 6 with 2600 viewsjasper_T

Areas that need strengthening on 13:24 - Oct 6 by Richythejack

With regards to Naughton, doesn’t anyone else think his first touch is poor?

One thing i will always say about Swansea players is there first touch is always a different class to most sides. Like anything with professional football if your first touch is top class your halfway there to having a professional football career.

I just think in Naughton's case because of his lack of first touch he looks nervous to push forward and lacks confidence. Defensively he has pace so can recover from mistakes but if he pushed forward this would leave him too exposed. For me this is where we miss Dyer (When he was on form). Dyer would always track back and his first touch was one of the best i have seen, without him i feel the likes of Ayew & Barrow leave Naughton too exposed and he knows this. Rangel is brimming with confidence and is much better in the attacking full back role just is getting on now and lacks the pace to compete regularly at this level.

I'd say the quality of touch throughout the side has declined a bit over the last couple of years. In the midfield, only Ki has that easy, consistent level of control that Leon, De Guzman etc. offered. Shelvey, Gylfi & Cork can look clumsy and off balance at times by comparison, and it has slowed down our passing moves (not that they aren't big improvements in other ways).

Gomis' first touch is regularly shocking. Montero, too, can take a few touches before he gets ready to move.
Areas that need strengthening on 14:51 - Oct 6 with 2597 viewsjackonicko

The foundations of the East Stand.
Areas that need strengthening on 16:35 - Oct 6 with 2530 viewstomdickharry

Quality Right wing in order that Ayew can play inside in support of Gomis.
Another striker to supplement Gomis and Eder.
That's about it for the Jan window.
Login to get fewer ads

Areas that need strengthening on 22:48 - Oct 6 with 2392 viewsSkipTheJack

Neil Taylor is having an outstanding season. It's by far the best I've ever seen him play. I certainly don't think our full-backs need strengthening, and we don't want to be replacing any more of our long-serving players unless we absolutely have to. Forcing Dyer out was a mistake IMO.

What we need now is a settled side, and a return to passing the ball quickly to feet. I'm not actually sure what our style of play is at the moment, but we're not passing the ball well enough, and we don't look fit enough to play a pressing game either. It's training, not signings, that we need now.
Areas that need strengthening on 22:58 - Oct 6 with 2384 viewsjasper_T

We played some terrific passing football in the fifteen minutes before Spurs' second half equaliser.

Rangel was involved a lot, Jonjo barely touched the ball, Ki was carrying out of midfield, Gylfi was receiving the ball early to his feet, Ayew kept to his wing, and Montero even made a couple of runs in behind. And we didn't blast it up to Gomis (much).

All went to pot after the free kick, though.
Areas that need strengthening on 06:18 - Oct 7 with 2316 viewsjack247

Areas that need strengthening on 22:48 - Oct 6 by SkipTheJack

Neil Taylor is having an outstanding season. It's by far the best I've ever seen him play. I certainly don't think our full-backs need strengthening, and we don't want to be replacing any more of our long-serving players unless we absolutely have to. Forcing Dyer out was a mistake IMO.

What we need now is a settled side, and a return to passing the ball quickly to feet. I'm not actually sure what our style of play is at the moment, but we're not passing the ball well enough, and we don't look fit enough to play a pressing game either. It's training, not signings, that we need now.

Good post
Areas that need strengthening on 22:59 - Oct 7 with 2157 viewsHuw57

Areas that need strengthening on 14:43 - Oct 6 by jasper_T

Taylor is twice the defender that Davies is (now that he's back to full fitness), and playing behind Montero I don't think our left back needs to be particularly gifted in attack. Montero stays wide and doesn't use overlapping players .

He also doesn't always track back well, so Taylor's tackling and ability to match most opposing wingers for pace is great for the team. This season only Kyle Walker has really stripped him in a sprint.

Attacking full-backs are for sides that use wingers that try to play inside, which is very common in the premier league these days, because without them the team has no width. But Montero is an old-fashioned touchline player. A conservative full-back pairs well with him imo.

I'm not a fan of Naughton, but gets exposed a lot due to a lack of right wing cover, and unfairly criticised for it at times.

Only post with sense on this thread. I'm a fan of Naughton though.

Poll: Do you want the Irish to get through?

Areas that need strengthening on 23:42 - Oct 7 with 2137 viewsGriffting

Areas that need strengthening on 22:58 - Oct 6 by jasper_T

We played some terrific passing football in the fifteen minutes before Spurs' second half equaliser.

Rangel was involved a lot, Jonjo barely touched the ball, Ki was carrying out of midfield, Gylfi was receiving the ball early to his feet, Ayew kept to his wing, and Montero even made a couple of runs in behind. And we didn't blast it up to Gomis (much).

All went to pot after the free kick, though.

I agree, at that point I felt we really could and should have got a 3rd to try and kill the game and we would have won I think, but after that phase of play ran its course and Spurs got a foothold again you could sense we may rue that phase of play.
One thing monk got us so good at up until recently was being clinical, we were coming away from some games with 2 goals from 4 or 5 on target, sometimes maybe less. That seems to slipping recently.
Areas that need strengthening on 01:03 - Oct 8 with 2109 viewsJJJack

Areas that need strengthening on 23:42 - Oct 7 by Griffting

I agree, at that point I felt we really could and should have got a 3rd to try and kill the game and we would have won I think, but after that phase of play ran its course and Spurs got a foothold again you could sense we may rue that phase of play.
One thing monk got us so good at up until recently was being clinical, we were coming away from some games with 2 goals from 4 or 5 on target, sometimes maybe less. That seems to slipping recently.

We got lucky for a while. There are plenty of stats on this across football...i.e., sides that don't create many chances eventually struggle as no side can be that clinical repeatedly. The issue isn;t that we're missing more chances....it's taht we need to create more.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024