Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cyclists, thick or just very conceited ? 15:12 - Oct 23 with 11810 viewsWxmJax

Why do so many cyclists take to the road wearing black ? The ordinary cyclists are bad enough but those that have all the gear and the expensive bikes I just don't understand. Why don't they wear something that's high viz ? Roads are dangerous enough without making yourself more difficult to be seen.

Poll: England, General Election: How are you going to vote ?

Cyclists, thick or just very conceited ? on 10:39 - Oct 26 with 1817 viewsBatterseajack

Cyclists, thick or just very conceited ? on 10:31 - Oct 24 by jackal

I can only repeat what I've already said.
The Mumbles road is a 2 lane fairly quickly driven road. There is a cycle path running alongside. Why can't the cars drive on the road and the cyclists ride on the cycle path? The road can be dangerous for cyclists who I've seen riding side by side.
The idiotic suggestions that motorists walk or catch buses so that cyclists can have the road is ridiculous.
Why don't the cyclists do that if it's such a brilliant idea?

Its only a 40 mph road at its fastest parts, so lets not pretend its a motorway. As already pointed out by others and conveniently ignored by the motorists, the mixed use paths are unsuitable for sport cyclists to use as they are shared with walkers, young kids and dogs on extendable leads. It would be irresponsible to cycle on that path at 25-40 kph as you'd be terrorizing the families and dog walkers who simply want to go for a relaxing stroll.

I don't even understand what your issue is really is all about anyway. Does being momentarily inconvenienced by a cyclist whilst you check your mirrors and switch lanes to over take really ruin your overall driving experience that much? Your overall journey time is unaffected anyway as you'll soon be queuing up at the next set of red lights.

I suggest you relax and learn to share the roads.
Cyclists, thick or just very conceited ? on 11:21 - Oct 26 with 1788 viewsPegojack

Cyclists, thick or just very conceited ? on 10:39 - Oct 26 by Batterseajack

Its only a 40 mph road at its fastest parts, so lets not pretend its a motorway. As already pointed out by others and conveniently ignored by the motorists, the mixed use paths are unsuitable for sport cyclists to use as they are shared with walkers, young kids and dogs on extendable leads. It would be irresponsible to cycle on that path at 25-40 kph as you'd be terrorizing the families and dog walkers who simply want to go for a relaxing stroll.

I don't even understand what your issue is really is all about anyway. Does being momentarily inconvenienced by a cyclist whilst you check your mirrors and switch lanes to over take really ruin your overall driving experience that much? Your overall journey time is unaffected anyway as you'll soon be queuing up at the next set of red lights.

I totally agree.

As I keen cyclist myself, I accept that there are ars*holes behind steering wheels, and cycling on two wheels. let's all use the roads with care and consideration for other road users.

And for tw*ts sitting in passenger seats who think it's hilarious to wind the window down and shout at a cyclist just as you pass him to try and unnerve him, may you all die horribly in a car crash five minutes after you do it.
Cyclists, thick or just very conceited ? on 11:27 - Oct 26 with 1785 viewsDarran

Cyclists, thick or just very conceited ? on 11:21 - Oct 26 by Pegojack

I totally agree.

As I keen cyclist myself, I accept that there are ars*holes behind steering wheels, and cycling on two wheels. let's all use the roads with care and consideration for other road users.

And for tw*ts sitting in passenger seats who think it's hilarious to wind the window down and shout at a cyclist just as you pass him to try and unnerve him, may you all die horribly in a car crash five minutes after you do it.

Glad I never said that.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Cyclists, thick or just very conceited ? on 11:30 - Oct 26 with 1775 viewsjackal

Cyclists, thick or just very conceited ? on 11:21 - Oct 26 by Pegojack

I totally agree.

I always treat cyclists with courtesy and respect. I never overtake them unless there's plenty of room to give them a wide berth. It's only the Mumbles road situation that winds me up.
I followed one in Landore recently. Traffic was heavy so I had to follow him for about a mile. He weaved inbetween cars, went through a red light, mounted the pavement and disappeared down a one way street,the wrong way.
Yes there are @rseholes on both sides.
Cyclists, thick or just very conceited ? on 11:40 - Oct 26 with 1760 viewsjackal

Cyclists, thick or just very conceited ? on 10:39 - Oct 26 by Batterseajack

So you're not prepared to slow down and show courtesy to you're fellow path users?
Cyclists, thick or just very conceited ? on 11:46 - Oct 26 with 1755 viewsBatterseajack

Cyclists, thick or just very conceited ? on 11:40 - Oct 26 by jackal

So you're not prepared to slow down and show courtesy to you're fellow path users?

I'll ride accordingly when using a mixed use path.
Cyclists, thick or just very conceited ? on 12:03 - Oct 26 with 1742 viewsWxmJax

Had a busy weekend with some surprise visitors from Gorseinon so have missed this debate.
I didn't post this thread to have a cyclist v motorist argument, I was just asking why some cyclists, well the vast majority actually, think that they are safer on roads wearing dark colours. Are they thick or just very conceited ? Wearing black and making it more difficult to be seen and thus increasing their likelihood of being knocked down, god forbid, does not make sense to me.

There is a cycle initiative in London because of people being knocked down by lorries that was shown on BBC Breakfast. The police and lorry drivers interviewed all had hi-vis tops on whereas the TFL cycle commissioner turns up in his cycling gear wearing black. It's fair to say that he wasn't the brightest.

I would have thought that when you go out on a bike you would want to be seen by drivers to help avoid injury to one's self but obviously not.

In the world of cycling it would appear that vanity comes before safety.

Cyclists, thick or just very conceited ? on 12:09 - Oct 26 with 1740 viewsPegojack

Cyclists, thick or just very conceited ? on 11:27 - Oct 26 by Darran

Glad I never said that.

Only joking, Dar.

(Not really).
Login to get fewer ads

Cyclists, thick or just very conceited ? on 12:41 - Oct 26 with 1725 viewsPegojack

Cyclists, thick or just very conceited ? on 12:03 - Oct 26 by WxmJax

Had a busy weekend with some surprise visitors from Gorseinon so have missed this debate.
I didn't post this thread to have a cyclist v motorist argument, I was just asking why some cyclists, well the vast majority actually, think that they are safer on roads wearing dark colours. Are they thick or just very conceited ? Wearing black and making it more difficult to be seen and thus increasing their likelihood of being knocked down, god forbid, does not make sense to me.

There is a cycle initiative in London because of people being knocked down by lorries that was shown on BBC Breakfast. The police and lorry drivers interviewed all had hi-vis tops on whereas the TFL cycle commissioner turns up in his cycling gear wearing black. It's fair to say that he wasn't the brightest.

I would have thought that when you go out on a bike you would want to be seen by drivers to help avoid injury to one's self but obviously not.

No in my book it doesn't!

Just bought myself a new cycling jacket, £28 from Mountain Warehouse, and it's luminous yellow. And my bike is lit up like a Christmas tree after 4.00pm.
Cyclists, thick or just very conceited ? on 13:08 - Oct 26 with 1707 viewsWarwickHunt

Cyclists, thick or just very conceited ? on 12:03 - Oct 26 by WxmJax

The number of cyclists in London wearing dark clothes and riding without proper lights is staggering.

Surprised there aren't more fatalities.
Cyclists, thick or just very conceited ? on 13:26 - Oct 26 with 1688 viewsWxmJax

Cyclists, thick or just very conceited ? on 12:41 - Oct 26 by Pegojack

No in my book it doesn't!

Just bought myself a new cycling jacket, £28 from Mountain Warehouse, and it's luminous yellow. And my bike is lit up like a Christmas tree after 4.00pm.

I have a dark silver/grey car and the number of cars that don't see me is scary. I've begun to drive with my lights on now and the number of people that pull out in front of me on dual carriageway/motorways has reduced dramatically. You can see them start to pull out and then suddenly notice the lights and pull back in again. I don't know if it's too many distractions or just plain bad driving. Be seen, be safe.

Agree with Warwick, I was in London last week and the cyclists seem to think that they are invincible. Red light ? what red light ? no lights either, whizz past you and you can't even see where they've gone because they're virtually invisible in the night.

Cyclists, thick or just very conceited ? on 15:25 - Oct 26 with 1662 viewsHighjack

This explains it perfectly.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Cyclists, thick or just very conceited ? on 16:24 - Oct 26 with 1647 viewsDarran

http://www.southwales-eveningpost.co.uk/Cyclist-car-collide-Swansea-road/story-2

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Cyclists, thick or just very conceited ? on 19:12 - Oct 26 with 1605 viewsSenhin

Why do so many ride side by side or just so far from the curb?

Did you see that ludicrous display last night?

Cyclists, thick or just very conceited ? on 19:29 - Oct 26 with 1595 viewsPacemaker

Cyclists, thick or just very conceited ? on 19:12 - Oct 26 by Senhin

Because the roads are in a pretty shit state if you are driving a car, on a bike with 23mm width of tyre it is a dangerous place to be amongst the holes around drains, debris and other crap left in the curb.

Riding side by side prevents inconsiderate and impatient drivers trying to pass you when there isn't the space and makes it easier for drivers to make one overtaking move rather than two or more.

Life is an adventure or nothing at all.

Cyclists, thick or just very conceited ? on 19:33 - Oct 26 with 1591 viewsFlashberryjack

Cyclists, thick or just very conceited ? on 19:29 - Oct 26 by Pacemaker

Because the roads are in a pretty shit state if you are driving a car, on a bike with 23mm width of tyre it is a dangerous place to be amongst the holes around drains, debris and other crap left in the curb.

Riding side by side prevents inconsiderate and impatient drivers trying to pass you when there isn't the space and makes it easier for drivers to make one overtaking move rather than two or more.

More like cyclists being inconsiderate by riding side by side.....the highway code says not to do so on busy or narrow roads.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Cyclists, thick or just very conceited ? on 23:18 - Oct 26 with 1553 viewsPacemaker

Cyclists, thick or just very conceited ? on 19:33 - Oct 26 by Flashberryjack

More like cyclists being inconsiderate by riding side by side.....the highway code says not to do so on busy or narrow roads.

I wouldn't worry to much about it, nobody else is that bothered, life moves quick enough just chill for a bit. You are getting worried about some very minor matters, life is a journey five minutes being held up by someone who has let you have their parking space is a fair swap I reckon.

Cyclists, thick or just very conceited ? on 00:00 - Oct 27 with 1544 viewsWarwickHunt

Cyclists, thick or just very conceited ? on 19:29 - Oct 26 by Pacemaker

Nah - the thick fückers tend to move over if you get close enough and give them a blast of the horn.

Ps have you ever read the Highway Code, mate? You know, the bit about narrow or busy roads? Rhetorical question...
[Post edited 27 Oct 2015 0:05]
Cyclists, thick or just very conceited ? on 06:40 - Oct 27 with 1513 viewsPacemaker

Cyclists, thick or just very conceited ? on 00:00 - Oct 27 by WarwickHunt

Nah - the thick fückers tend to move over if you get close enough and give them a blast of the horn.

Ps have you ever read the Highway Code, mate? You know, the bit about narrow or busy roads? Rhetorical question...
[Post edited 27 Oct 2015 0:05]

The only person breaching the Highway Code there is the driver who drives too close and sounds their horn inappropriately. You have obviously highlighted your poor driving standards in comparison to the poor cycling manners you see on the road. Just remember one "clip" from you will end in serious injury for a cyclist.

Busy or narrow is a matter of opinion, single track road, single lane in each direction I will ride single file (but you then may have a 20m overtake rather than a 10m)

Cyclists, thick or just very conceited ? on 06:57 - Oct 27 with 1509 viewsWarwickHunt

Cyclists, thick or just very conceited ? on 06:40 - Oct 27 by Pacemaker

The only person breaching the Highway Code there is the driver who drives too close and sounds their horn inappropriately. You have obviously highlighted your poor driving standards in comparison to the poor cycling manners you see on the road. Just remember one "clip" from you will end in serious injury for a cyclist.

Busy or narrow is a matter of opinion, single track road, single lane in each direction I will ride single file (but you then may have a 20m overtake rather than a 10m)

Typical arrogance - you lot think you own the fücking road.

Narrow or busy isn't a matter of opinion, it's just common sense; seems like that disappears when some people get on a bike.
Cyclists, thick or just very conceited ? on 07:23 - Oct 27 with 1851 viewsJackfath

Cyclists, thick or just very conceited ? on 06:57 - Oct 27 by WarwickHunt

Typical arrogance - you lot think you own the fücking road.

Narrow or busy isn't a matter of opinion, it's just common sense; seems like that disappears when some people get on a bike.

You sound as though you hate bikes. Didn't mummy or daddy teach you when you were a nipper and now you're taking out your inner childhood hatred out on all cyclists.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Cyclists, thick or just very conceited ? on 07:43 - Oct 27 with 1846 viewsWarwickHunt

Cyclists, thick or just very conceited ? on 07:23 - Oct 27 by Jackfath

You sound as though you hate bikes. Didn't mummy or daddy teach you when you were a nipper and now you're taking out your inner childhood hatred out on all cyclists.

Thanks for your touching concern but I've ridden bikes as a child and as an adult.

Nothing against bikes, just some of the brain-dead arrogant tw@ts who ride them.
Cyclists, thick or just very conceited ? on 08:22 - Oct 27 with 1837 viewsJFSwan

Cyclists, thick or just very conceited ? on 19:12 - Oct 26 by Senhin

Riding away from the curb to avoid slippery yellow lines and other debris that may cause a puncture. Also to briefly take a dominant position at pinch points to prevent a close over take.

Riding side by side allows you to have a chat with your friend, would you make a car passenger sit in the back ? I must admit though when I ride side by side I have a look over my shoulder then go single file to allow cars to pass, then return to my conversation.
As previously mentioned, surely over taking 2 rows of 5 cyclists is quicker than 1 row of 10.
You might have to wait longer for the opportunity to pass, but whats the rush ?
[Post edited 27 Oct 2015 8:25]
Cyclists, thick or just very conceited ? on 13:46 - Oct 27 with 1805 viewsFlashberryjack

Cyclists, thick or just very conceited ? on 23:18 - Oct 26 by Pacemaker

I wouldn't worry to much about it, nobody else is that bothered, life moves quick enough just chill for a bit. You are getting worried about some very minor matters, life is a journey five minutes being held up by someone who has let you have their parking space is a fair swap I reckon.

I'm not that worried about it really.....I just think it's stupid and dangerous to cycle side by side, just because they can, not to mention being a bit inconsiderate to other road users.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Cyclists, thick or just very conceited ? on 13:52 - Oct 27 with 1797 viewsBatterseajack

Cyclists, thick or just very conceited ? on 07:43 - Oct 27 by WarwickHunt

Thanks for your touching concern but I've ridden bikes as a child and as an adult.

Nothing against bikes, just some of the brain-dead arrogant tw@ts who ride them.

hmmm - are you a taxi driver or numpty behind the wheel of a white van by any chance?

If not, I can't understand why you seem so annoyed by them. You do realise, the more people who turn to cycling in London, more cars will be taken off the road and more pressure taken off the already over burdened public transport system.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024