Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Unfair IMO Criticism Of Ki Sung Yueng 13:32 - Jan 19 with 9900 viewskoreanswan

This is not a post to blindly defend a fellow Korean but I was quite disappointed last night to hear the Swans fans beginning to get onto Ki's back and then also the local press scoring him so low and commenting on how bad he was.

I can see when Ki has a bad match. Against Sunderland with the team down to 10 men as an experienced international he should have helped hold the team together but he had a bad match and played his part (along with the ref and some other players) in a bad defeat. On the day he was very poor.

The home game before this however he got the winning goal and then last night he set up the winning goal. Two huge contributions which could help keep the Swans in the Premier League.

What I don't understand is why he is judged so harshly when other midfielders like Cork are not and Leon is lauded as world class?

Last night I looked through various reports from Sky, Goal.com, Mirror and all had Ki with the same or better rating than Cork and most had him level with Britton yet on here and in local Swansea media he is being destroyed and his effort questioned?

I know that Ki has played injured for Swansea and also played matches without much rest after long haul flights and does everything the coach and the backroom team ask for him. It is not his game to go into tackles which are 60/40 against him. it's his job to keep the ball and he's got the second highest pass % in the league this year (higher than Leon despite the fact Ki plays more dangerous passes).

This is not trying to say he is better than Leon or Cork or anyone else. All three are different players with different attributes and make a good midfield.

I just feel as the clubs player of the year in the clubs greatest ever season he deserves a little bit more respect from the fans and local media.
The Unfair IMO Criticism Of Ki Sung Yueng on 13:33 - Jan 19 with 4422 viewsDarran

Oh f*ck off he shit out last night and had a mare. (again)

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

The Unfair IMO Criticism Of Ki Sung Yueng on 13:35 - Jan 19 with 4397 viewsjack_lord

When players are having a peolonged bad patch the fans will get on the back of that player, ask Mich or Toshack if you have been around a bit longer.

Lord_Jack increasingly detached from the riches of kicking a ball
Poll: The E U : Stay or Leave

The Unfair IMO Criticism Of Ki Sung Yueng on 13:37 - Jan 19 with 4377 viewsairedale

I think that the game against Sunderland is the only time I've seen Ki have a bad game. I couldn't understand it, and at the time I wondered if it might have something to do with him having played for them in the past.
The Unfair IMO Criticism Of Ki Sung Yueng on 13:37 - Jan 19 with 4373 viewsPegojack

I agree with a lot of what you say, but you must realise that we are in a desperate position and Swans fans have short tempers at the moment.

Ki did really well to create the goal, but as he tired in the second half, he made several wrong decisions which lost possession. He also shirked two or three 50/50 (not 60/40) tackles, which again the Swans fans didn't like.

Just remember the saying "Form is temporary, class is permanent". He still has a big part to play.
The Unfair IMO Criticism Of Ki Sung Yueng on 13:37 - Jan 19 with 4372 viewskoreanswan

The Unfair IMO Criticism Of Ki Sung Yueng on 13:33 - Jan 19 by Darran

What did he do wrong apart from not charge into stupid tackles and get a booking?

Had more passes than anyone else on the pitch at a higher success rate, created more chances than any Swan (equal with Siggy)...

What did he do that was so much worse than everyone else? I really don't understand what people want? Do they want a bunch of guys in midfield going into crazy tackles?

Note - if you don't give away the ball you don't have to make stupid tackles to get it back.

Also the midfielder who came closest to giving away a goal last night was Leon when he stupidly gave it away in the second half.
The Unfair IMO Criticism Of Ki Sung Yueng on 13:38 - Jan 19 with 4360 viewsDarran

The Unfair IMO Criticism Of Ki Sung Yueng on 13:37 - Jan 19 by koreanswan

What did he do wrong apart from not charge into stupid tackles and get a booking?

Had more passes than anyone else on the pitch at a higher success rate, created more chances than any Swan (equal with Siggy)...

What did he do that was so much worse than everyone else? I really don't understand what people want? Do they want a bunch of guys in midfield going into crazy tackles?

Note - if you don't give away the ball you don't have to make stupid tackles to get it back.

Also the midfielder who came closest to giving away a goal last night was Leon when he stupidly gave it away in the second half.

What just last night?

The Unfair IMO Criticism Of Ki Sung Yueng on 13:40 - Jan 19 with 4325 viewskoreanswan

The Unfair IMO Criticism Of Ki Sung Yueng on 13:37 - Jan 19 by Pegojack

I agree with a lot of what you say, but you must realise that we are in a desperate position and Swans fans have short tempers at the moment.

Ki did really well to create the goal, but as he tired in the second half, he made several wrong decisions which lost possession. He also shirked two or three 50/50 (not 60/40) tackles, which again the Swans fans didn't like.

Just remember the saying "Form is temporary, class is permanent". He still has a big part to play.

That is reasonable.

Maybe in the current climate of the team he should be going into tackles which are pretty stupid to get involved in just to try and keep the fans on side with the team.

In Korea it is viewed as stupid to get involved in 50/50 tackles about 70 yards from your own goal and 40 yards from the oppositions when their is nothing really to be won by doing so.

I guess it might be a culture thing too. I just feel he has been very harshly criticized for not an awful lot.

All the criticism is all subjective as well... "Not involved", "gives the ball away", "lacks effort, "lethargic"... All these things are not backed up at all by stats.
The Unfair IMO Criticism Of Ki Sung Yueng on 13:41 - Jan 19 with 4315 viewsskippyjack

Got to agree with Darran.. he did sh*t out on a few challenges when he should've won the ball.. it's mainly a british mentality.. but he let too many players win the ball before him.

that's what people's main gripe is.. eroding challenges he should be winning... this is a ruthless league, and we're in the relegation dog fight.. every challenge he erodes, could be fatal.

The awkward moment when a Welsh Club become the Champions of England.. shh The Swansea Way.. To upset the odds.
Poll: Best Swans Player

Login to get fewer ads

The Unfair IMO Criticism Of Ki Sung Yueng on 13:41 - Jan 19 with 4306 viewslegoman

The Unfair IMO Criticism Of Ki Sung Yueng on 13:33 - Jan 19 by Darran

Tell it like it is, Darran!

For me Ki has been running round with lead in his boots for the last few games. He makes a reasonable fist of keeping the ball, but bottles any direct runs into the box. I'd like to see a bit more of that from him. Having said that, the whole team still need to up the tempo and get the ball forward more quickly.

"M'sieur, you said your dog did not bite!" "That's not my dog"

The Unfair IMO Criticism Of Ki Sung Yueng on 13:41 - Jan 19 with 4302 viewsDarran

The Unfair IMO Criticism Of Ki Sung Yueng on 13:40 - Jan 19 by koreanswan

That is reasonable.

Maybe in the current climate of the team he should be going into tackles which are pretty stupid to get involved in just to try and keep the fans on side with the team.

In Korea it is viewed as stupid to get involved in 50/50 tackles about 70 yards from your own goal and 40 yards from the oppositions when their is nothing really to be won by doing so.

I guess it might be a culture thing too. I just feel he has been very harshly criticized for not an awful lot.

All the criticism is all subjective as well... "Not involved", "gives the ball away", "lacks effort, "lethargic"... All these things are not backed up at all by stats.

You speak good English mind.

The Unfair IMO Criticism Of Ki Sung Yueng on 13:42 - Jan 19 with 4293 viewsjasper_T

He made a big mistake halfway through the first half, the fans got on his back, and he looked like he was feeling the pressure for the rest of the game. Became very indecisive with and without the ball.

That said, he got into some good positions, supported Taylor out wide better than Cork did on the other side, and set up the goal.
The Unfair IMO Criticism Of Ki Sung Yueng on 13:42 - Jan 19 with 4274 viewskoreanswan

The Unfair IMO Criticism Of Ki Sung Yueng on 13:41 - Jan 19 by Darran

You speak good English mind.

Maybe because I'm British.
The Unfair IMO Criticism Of Ki Sung Yueng on 13:43 - Jan 19 with 4267 viewsUxbridge

I take it you're ignoring that ridiculous blind pass he tried to play in the Watford box that led to a breakaway and would have led to a goal if Watford hadn't been pretty inept.

There's little doubt the Swans crowd have their favourites, and usually has more to do with perceived commitment than important stuff. However you're just as bad plucking out random stats and examples. I thought he was below average yesterday.

I say you, you're quite clearly somebody's tired alter ego. This place doesn't have enough of them.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

The Unfair IMO Criticism Of Ki Sung Yueng on 13:44 - Jan 19 with 4250 viewsTrundle10

The Unfair IMO Criticism Of Ki Sung Yueng on 13:40 - Jan 19 by koreanswan

That is reasonable.

he is not in Korea tho. He is in Britain and he needs to get stuck in.
The Unfair IMO Criticism Of Ki Sung Yueng on 13:46 - Jan 19 with 4224 viewskoreanswan

The Unfair IMO Criticism Of Ki Sung Yueng on 13:43 - Jan 19 by Uxbridge

I take it you're ignoring that ridiculous blind pass he tried to play in the Watford box that led to a breakaway and would have led to a goal if Watford hadn't been pretty inept.

There's little doubt the Swans crowd have their favourites, and usually has more to do with perceived commitment than important stuff. However you're just as bad plucking out random stats and examples. I thought he was below average yesterday.

I say you, you're quite clearly somebody's tired alter ego. This place doesn't have enough of them.

I don't think it's fair to criticize someone for giving away the ball in the OPPOSITIONS box! You have to give people a bit of freedom 100 yards from their own goal to try things and not worry about losing a goal.

As I said earlier Leon gave it away on the halfway line stupidly and it nearly led to a goal yet this isn't brought up (nor should it be as he had a good game). It just shows my point though that Ki seems to be more harshly judged.
The Unfair IMO Criticism Of Ki Sung Yueng on 13:46 - Jan 19 with 4218 viewsBrynmill_Jack

The Unfair IMO Criticism Of Ki Sung Yueng on 13:35 - Jan 19 by jack_lord

When players are having a peolonged bad patch the fans will get on the back of that player, ask Mich or Toshack if you have been around a bit longer.

I thought it was terrible. "Supporters" FFS! Gylfi and his fancy flicks gave the ball away as often if not more

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

The Unfair IMO Criticism Of Ki Sung Yueng on 13:48 - Jan 19 with 4189 viewsmacthejack

Ki is not fit to lace Leon Britton's boot lacer's boots.
The Unfair IMO Criticism Of Ki Sung Yueng on 13:48 - Jan 19 with 4183 viewsvetchonian

The Unfair IMO Criticism Of Ki Sung Yueng on 13:46 - Jan 19 by Brynmill_Jack

I thought it was terrible. "Supporters" FFS! Gylfi and his fancy flicks gave the ball away as often if not more

But Siggy runs around a lot and Swans fans just love that .....we hate statues like Jason Scotland,shelvey et al

Poll: Will CCFC win a game this season?

The Unfair IMO Criticism Of Ki Sung Yueng on 13:49 - Jan 19 with 4180 viewsyogibear_412

Ki is the best midfielder we got. Fact. He's box to box, and can play in any position in midfield.

I was saying to my mate that Ki gets 300% more grief from the crowd than any other player in that side. It grows as well - what started as a few moans ended up being hundreds yelling "kiiiiiiiii" whenever he lost possession. Last night he was getting grief for apparently dodging tackles...sometimes he was never near the ball or player to make a tackle!

There were plenty of other instances when players shirked tackles or mis placed passes and hardly nowt was uttered.

Support him because he can do what the rest of our midfield can't.
The Unfair IMO Criticism Of Ki Sung Yueng on 13:50 - Jan 19 with 4173 viewstrampie

Ki was bad against Sunderland and terrible last night, I would give him a minus rating last night as in he was more help to Watford than Swansea, it was bordering on Shelvey's performances against Palace and Oxford.

We need to keep an eye on him if selected as his performance was frighteningly bad, so bad that it is very concerning.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

The Unfair IMO Criticism Of Ki Sung Yueng on 13:51 - Jan 19 with 4157 viewskoreanswan

The Unfair IMO Criticism Of Ki Sung Yueng on 13:50 - Jan 19 by trampie

Ki was bad against Sunderland and terrible last night, I would give him a minus rating last night as in he was more help to Watford than Swansea, it was bordering on Shelvey's performances against Palace and Oxford.

We need to keep an eye on him if selected as his performance was frighteningly bad, so bad that it is very concerning.

Yes he was more help to Watford than Swansea.

He set up the only goal of the game?

You see how ridiculous this post is and again leads me to wonder why so much hate?

It's bizarre.
The Unfair IMO Criticism Of Ki Sung Yueng on 13:52 - Jan 19 with 4147 viewsjack_lord

Siggy does a lot more than run about a lot and when you lose possession that is part of the game to close players down. We don't hate "statues" like Jason Scotland but I know that poeple got on his back because he looked lethargic but he scored bags.

I think Shelvey my well get to be disliked if he carries on trying to blame Swans fans for his poor form.

Lord_Jack increasingly detached from the riches of kicking a ball
Poll: The E U : Stay or Leave

The Unfair IMO Criticism Of Ki Sung Yueng on 13:52 - Jan 19 with 4146 viewsA_Fans_Dad

I don't know what game you were watching, but it wasn't the same one as me.
In the first half he made a very poor, lazy pass that put through their attacker.
In the second half he hardly made ANY tackles or blocks let alone 50/50 ones.
He has been playing like this since the Internationals and it is no where near as good as he was playing when he was rated player of the year or even as good as he plays for Korea.
If you don't believe me, take a look at the second half stats when he was on the left hand side and Ash was having to make header clearance after header clearance because Ki was not stopping the ball coming in.
This poor run of "defending" form has been going on for months and is getting worse.

When a club is in our position and we have our backs to the wall defending, a midfield player that is not putting in Tackles and Blocks is a luxury we can't afford.
The Unfair IMO Criticism Of Ki Sung Yueng on 13:53 - Jan 19 with 4133 viewsjasper_T

The Unfair IMO Criticism Of Ki Sung Yueng on 13:50 - Jan 19 by trampie

That was the Newport game you were watching, mate. We were on Sky.
The Unfair IMO Criticism Of Ki Sung Yueng on 13:57 - Jan 19 with 4089 viewsMattG

Ki hasn't had the greatest season but he does seem to get more stick than his performances deserve. OK, he doesn't go Cattermoling into tackles but he has never been and will never be that kind of player so it seems harsh when people go OTT on criticising that aspect of his game. He showed for the ball much more last night than in some games earlier in the season and I thought he covered plenty of ground.

However, I would take issue with the OP's view that Ki plays a high proportion of dangerous passes. One aspect of Ki's game that I do feel he really needs to improve is how his first instinct is almost always to look for a backward pass. Perhaps it's a symptom of where the Club is and a willingness to seek the less risky option but he could add so much more to his and our game if he looked forward more.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024