Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cullis - dark days 07:53 - Feb 9 with 6102 viewsepaul

Interesting read. I was in the Clarence with Pete Owens and few others when not that we knew at the time Cullis and Molesworth approached us it was the home game before they "took over" they flashed some badges at us saying they were scouts from Loserpool and we're asking us our opinion on the players.
They only went and used that in a press conference! Anyways dark days

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/remarkable-story-kevin
[Post edited 9 Feb 2016 8:58]

The hair and the beard have gone I am now conforming to society, tis a sad day The b*stards are coming back though

Cullis - dark days on 20:35 - Feb 9 with 1198 viewsDarran

Cullis - dark days on 20:32 - Feb 9 by exiledclaseboy

Some scruffy f*cker gave me a freebie at Bournemouth years ago. Bet you can't guess who.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Cullis - dark days on 20:35 - Feb 9 with 1198 viewsexiledclaseboy

Cullis - dark days on 20:32 - Feb 9 by Highjack

I haven't enjoyed home games for a long time. So many miserable bastards there these days.

Away games have always been brilliant though win lose or draw.

I still enjoy the games it just strikes me that most people don't seem to. My match day routine hasn't changed since we were in Division Four. Have a few pints and a laugh with the boys, watch the game, have a few more pints and a laugh with the boys, go home. Can't see that schedule changing much between now and death or infirmity, whichever comes first.

Poll: Tory leader

Cullis - dark days on 20:37 - Feb 9 with 1189 viewsLeonisGod

Cullis - dark days on 12:00 - Feb 9 by vetchonian

Steady on here lots of folk on here wont have a clue what you are on about

I didn't as I didn't move down here until 2005. Fascinating reading though - I enjoy Waltham's stuff; it's about as good as you can find in the local press. Seems like crazy times.
Cullis - dark days on 20:43 - Feb 9 with 1160 views3swan

Fulham away many years ago got in 5 mins after the game had started Fulham scored 4.

It was only when I got home that I found out we lost 4-1 not 4-0
Cullis - dark days on 20:51 - Feb 9 with 1132 viewsDarran

I used to set myself a target to be in the house by 8:30 driving from away games to have a good few cans then as soon as I was up on the Sunday morning it was straight up the shop for the Wales On Sunday,News Of The World and Sunday Mirror to read all the match reports.

Sometimes I'd even sneak over to the guestbook and read the Hughes Family match report.

Cullis - dark days on 20:51 - Feb 9 with 1117 viewslondonlisa2001

Cullis - dark days on 20:43 - Feb 9 by 3swan

Fulham away many years ago got in 5 mins after the game had started Fulham scored 4.

It was only when I got home that I found out we lost 4-1 not 4-0

That must have been a while ago - I remember a 3:1 and a 3:0 (as well as the 7:0 disaster) but don't remember a 4:1. I remember drawing with them as well 1 all I think. We used to be crap against Fulham - we've been great in the PL (and unlucky when we lost 2:1 in the cup a few years back)
Cullis - dark days on 20:55 - Feb 9 with 1103 viewsmonmouth

Cullis - dark days on 20:51 - Feb 9 by londonlisa2001

That must have been a while ago - I remember a 3:1 and a 3:0 (as well as the 7:0 disaster) but don't remember a 4:1. I remember drawing with them as well 1 all I think. We used to be crap against Fulham - we've been great in the PL (and unlucky when we lost 2:1 in the cup a few years back)

I'm sure I saw a 5-0 one year there? Mid eighties?

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Cullis - dark days on 20:57 - Feb 9 with 1093 viewsexiledclaseboy

Cullis - dark days on 20:51 - Feb 9 by Darran

I used to set myself a target to be in the house by 8:30 driving from away games to have a good few cans then as soon as I was up on the Sunday morning it was straight up the shop for the Wales On Sunday,News Of The World and Sunday Mirror to read all the match reports.

Sometimes I'd even sneak over to the guestbook and read the Hughes Family match report.

They didn't like me on the Guestbook in my younger days. Or Swanmail. Oof.

Poll: Tory leader

Login to get fewer ads

Cullis - dark days on 20:59 - Feb 9 with 1091 viewslondonlisa2001

Cullis - dark days on 20:55 - Feb 9 by monmouth

I don't remember that one. I didn't go to as many away games in the mid eighties as I was either at school or in college. Never went away when in college unless it was the holidays - I was in the bar :-)
Cullis - dark days on 21:01 - Feb 9 with 1080 viewsDarran

Cullis - dark days on 20:57 - Feb 9 by exiledclaseboy

They didn't like me on the Guestbook in my younger days. Or Swanmail. Oof.

They were and still are a bit strange over there.

Another thing that used to be fun was finding places without a sat nav too.

Cullis - dark days on 21:02 - Feb 9 with 1077 viewsDarran

Clive's old mind.

Cullis - dark days on 21:07 - Feb 9 with 1055 viewsDarran

Tell ew another funny one too the old Darlo ground Feethams,you couldn't drive in there not even the team bus you had to park way outside and walk in past some poxy old cricket ground.
We arrived at the same time as the players on one trip and as we were going in I turned to Walter Boyd and said "not exactly Sabina Park is it?" I thought he was going to choke laughing,funny guy.

Cullis - dark days on 21:17 - Feb 9 with 1030 viewsTNT

Cullis - dark days on 12:15 - Feb 9 by orion3016

Probably the most embarrassing period in our history

What was Dougie thinking, mun?

Poll: Would you make goalposts bigger?

Cullis - dark days on 22:23 - Feb 9 with 963 viewsjruss1

I loved the days back then when things went well out of the blue.

Thinking of the Cheltenham away game early August the year after the Hull game.

It was same old story, having smashed Bury 4-2 on the opening day, we were 3-1 down in the second half, O'Leary even gave away a penalty for good measure with a silly and pointless hand ball.

Flynn brought Andy Robinson on for his debut,some over weight scouser we'd picked up from the senior league in Liverpool.

Robbo was magical that day, they couldn't handle him and Trunds popped up with a hat-trick,including I think, a last minute winner...and the away end just went bonkers.

Those type of things used to have me beaming for weeks.
Cullis - dark days on 22:47 - Feb 9 with 936 viewsHighjack

Cullis - dark days on 20:32 - Feb 9 by Darran

Aye what was the name of the big ginger bastard that played for Cambridge I think someone higher up the leagues signed him he used to torture us.

Yeah that was kitson aka the secret footballer, James beatties best mate.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Cullis - dark days on 07:39 - Feb 10 with 837 views3swan

Very polite way of saying you old git.

Just checked it out

22nd Aug 1970

Return game 19th Dec 1970 we won 4-1
Cullis - dark days on 07:40 - Feb 10 with 834 views3swan

Cullis - dark days on 20:55 - Feb 9 by monmouth

83/84

http://www.soccerbase.com/teams/team.sd?team_id=2513&team2_id=1055&teamTabs=h2h
Cullis - dark days on 07:42 - Feb 10 with 829 views3swan

Cullis - dark days on 21:01 - Feb 9 by Darran

They were and still are a bit strange over there.

Another thing that used to be fun was finding places without a sat nav too.

Some strange ones posted on both guestbook & jackarmy
Cullis - dark days on 07:45 - Feb 10 with 824 views3swan

Cullis - dark days on 21:02 - Feb 9 by Darran

Clive's old mind.

Didn't see this till after I posted my reply to Lisa.

You're not so polite, truthful but not so polite

Cullis - dark days on 07:49 - Feb 10 with 815 views3swan

Cullis - dark days on 21:07 - Feb 9 by Darran

Tell ew another funny one too the old Darlo ground Feethams,you couldn't drive in there not even the team bus you had to park way outside and walk in past some poxy old cricket ground.
We arrived at the same time as the players on one trip and as we were going in I turned to Walter Boyd and said "not exactly Sabina Park is it?" I thought he was going to choke laughing,funny guy.

That was to the main entrance for the 'posh' people. I think it was our last game there and we were put at the far end of the stand to the right as you look from the cricket ground.

Entrance to that was down the back of houses where they had their garages.

Like you said in another post some of these grounds were hidden away
Cullis - dark days on 17:56 - Feb 10 with 709 viewsProfessor

I can remember a draw around 89/90 and then a defeat (perhaps 3-0) on May Day when it sleeted in the second half and I was very cold and wet perhaps 1991? Miserable journey back to Peckham.

The random games were always great- stuffing orient when the ball bounced off Gary Emmanuel's pate in about 1987. John Mahoney nicking chips off me at Gillingham. Interminable trips to Yorkshire. Nonsense at Stockport. Crushing disappointment at Somerton Park to the resurrection at Ninian Park. All part of life's rich pageant. The crunchy and the smooth
Cullis - dark days on 18:03 - Feb 10 with 699 viewslondonlisa2001

Cullis - dark days on 07:39 - Feb 10 by 3swan

Very polite way of saying you old git.

Just checked it out

22nd Aug 1970

Return game 19th Dec 1970 we won 4-1

ha ! 1970 - in which case no wonder I couldn't remember - I was just coming up to 3 so was never allowed to go to away games :-)

Actually, I wasn't really implying that you were old - I find it incredible that people have such good memories of scores - I remember games and being there but for the life of me half the time I have no idea what the score was or who scored for us or any of that.
Cullis - dark days on 18:25 - Feb 10 with 679 views3swan

Cullis - dark days on 18:03 - Feb 10 by londonlisa2001

ha ! 1970 - in which case no wonder I couldn't remember - I was just coming up to 3 so was never allowed to go to away games :-)

Actually, I wasn't really implying that you were old - I find it incredible that people have such good memories of scores - I remember games and being there but for the life of me half the time I have no idea what the score was or who scored for us or any of that.

Don’t worry Lisa many of the games I’ve seen merge into one, and I can’t remember any detail about them.
It is strange what the memory does remember, silly things that you’d think mean nothing. Had a lovely beef and potato pie at Scunthorpe’s Old Show ground
Cullis - dark days on 21:07 - Feb 10 with 643 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Cullis - dark days on 20:32 - Feb 9 by exiledclaseboy

Some scruffy f*cker gave me a freebie at Bournemouth years ago. Bet you can't guess who.

Andy Robinson????

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Cullis - dark days on 21:27 - Feb 10 with 629 viewsPhil_S

Cullis - dark days on 16:42 - Feb 9 by WarwickHunt

Yep - it was. Seem to remember meeting Mr Sumbler and Gary Martin outside a chippie near the ground.

Rich pranged some poor bugger's car reversing into a parking space. If you thought Rich's parking was scary you really didn't want to be on a motorway with him...(Southend away in a night game was particularly terrifying as we struggled to make kick-off - Rich's trademark manic chuckle tailgating someone at 90mph only made things worse).

We went to see someone who Petty (who was there that day but kept a very low profile) had shafted on a business deal on the way home. Happy days - sort of.
[Post edited 9 Feb 2016 16:44]

That does sound familiar - we had been driven there by someone who I had never met before but proudly told me he was on the front cover of Vetch Field voices if I am thinking of the same game

Hated Luton as a ground
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024