Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Books: what's everyone reading? 11:38 - Mar 21 with 22846 viewsthedrownedman

Just about to stay Shirley Jackson's 'Wer Have Always Lived in the Castle'.

The last book I read was The Killing Lessons, which was a fantastic read.
Books: what's everyone reading? on 19:49 - Sep 2 with 1712 viewslondonlisa2001

Books: what's everyone reading? on 19:00 - Sep 2 by Lohengrin

You may want to add this as well, love, it's very good. Right up your street given what you've been saying.

Ah - you're right. That does look right up my street as well!!

I liked the Bill Bryson with him doing that. I enjoy his musings on life.

Last week I was walking a little around the Pembrokeshire Coastal path and read that there is now an International Appalachian Trail of which Pembs is part.

I also hadn't realised that Wales is now the only country in the world where you can walk around its entirety. While we all moan, that's something quite lovely I think.
Books: what's everyone reading? on 19:53 - Sep 2 with 1711 viewsLohengrin

Books: what's everyone reading? on 19:49 - Sep 2 by londonlisa2001

Ah - you're right. That does look right up my street as well!!

I liked the Bill Bryson with him doing that. I enjoy his musings on life.

Last week I was walking a little around the Pembrokeshire Coastal path and read that there is now an International Appalachian Trail of which Pembs is part.

I also hadn't realised that Wales is now the only country in the world where you can walk around its entirety. While we all moan, that's something quite lovely I think.

I had a Johnny Weismuller moment this week, love. I did a twenty-mile stretch of the Coed Morgannwg Way and me and one of the Beagles had a night under the stars. I felt 17 again when I set off. My aching back brought me back down to earth the day after!

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Books: what's everyone reading? on 19:55 - Sep 2 with 1708 viewslondonlisa2001

Books: what's everyone reading? on 19:53 - Sep 2 by Lohengrin

I had a Johnny Weismuller moment this week, love. I did a twenty-mile stretch of the Coed Morgannwg Way and me and one of the Beagles had a night under the stars. I felt 17 again when I set off. My aching back brought me back down to earth the day after!

Yes - I was aching a bit as well :-)
Books: what's everyone reading? on 19:59 - Sep 2 with 1707 viewsLohengrin

Books: what's everyone reading? on 19:55 - Sep 2 by londonlisa2001

Yes - I was aching a bit as well :-)

That's probably because neither of us do it regularly enough (I can hear Sid James laughing ) It's like any proper physical activity you're meant to condition yourself, build up to it, but being the born optimist I am I make the mistake of diving straight in. I never learn.

I have actually done a lot of genuine hiking over the years, including a section of the AT itself back in the '80s.

Books: what's everyone reading? on 20:03 - Sep 2 with 1701 viewslondonlisa2001

Books: what's everyone reading? on 19:59 - Sep 2 by Lohengrin

That's probably because neither of us do it regularly enough (I can hear Sid James laughing ) It's like any proper physical activity you're meant to condition yourself, build up to it, but being the born optimist I am I make the mistake of diving straight in. I never learn.

I have actually done a lot of genuine hiking over the years, including a section of the AT itself back in the '80s.

I've got a thing at the moment about doing the AT. I won't, of course, but it's one of those little notions I have of being a far better person than I actually am. It's like the people that go running at 6am. I'd love to be one of them but just can't be bothered.

I enjoy walking though, and intend to do a lot more of it in the next few years.
Books: what's everyone reading? on 20:09 - Sep 2 with 1698 viewsLohengrin

Books: what's everyone reading? on 20:03 - Sep 2 by londonlisa2001

I've got a thing at the moment about doing the AT. I won't, of course, but it's one of those little notions I have of being a far better person than I actually am. It's like the people that go running at 6am. I'd love to be one of them but just can't be bothered.

I enjoy walking though, and intend to do a lot more of it in the next few years.

The section I did was only about fifty miles. That was in Maine. I was very fit at the time but my memories are of it being hard going. There are countless easy rolling parts of the AT mind if you and your other half just fancied dipping your toe in to say you've been.

Books: what's everyone reading? on 20:12 - Sep 2 with 1693 viewslondonlisa2001

Books: what's everyone reading? on 20:09 - Sep 2 by Lohengrin

The section I did was only about fifty miles. That was in Maine. I was very fit at the time but my memories are of it being hard going. There are countless easy rolling parts of the AT mind if you and your other half just fancied dipping your toe in to say you've been.

Fifty miles is good going.

I may stick to Pembrokeshire though!! 188 miles the full coastal path apparently, and there are loads of pubs !!
Books: what's everyone reading? on 20:21 - Sep 2 with 1689 viewsLohengrin

Books: what's everyone reading? on 20:12 - Sep 2 by londonlisa2001

Fifty miles is good going.

I may stick to Pembrokeshire though!! 188 miles the full coastal path apparently, and there are loads of pubs !!

You should do the Offa's Dyke Path. You'd have a great time. 177 miles all told along some of the most breathtaking scenery imaginable. Myself and a few pals had a whale of a time a few years back. Walk all day at a relaxed pace, pub every night.

The best part is the people you encounter along the way. Real characters you'd have never encountered otherwise.

Login to get fewer ads

Books: what's everyone reading? on 20:31 - Sep 2 with 1680 viewslondonlisa2001

Books: what's everyone reading? on 20:21 - Sep 2 by Lohengrin

You should do the Offa's Dyke Path. You'd have a great time. 177 miles all told along some of the most breathtaking scenery imaginable. Myself and a few pals had a whale of a time a few years back. Walk all day at a relaxed pace, pub every night.

The best part is the people you encounter along the way. Real characters you'd have never encountered otherwise.

One of the things I love about walking is that everyone is happy to chat. It's like stepping back in time (certainly compared to London). Have some brilliant conversations with some really interesting people.

I was going to look at the Offa's Dyke Path after reading about it last week. Sounds beautiful.
Books: what's everyone reading? on 20:42 - Sep 2 with 1665 viewslifelong

Books: what's everyone reading? on 20:03 - Sep 2 by londonlisa2001

You need to consider the Pembrokeshire Coastal Path Lisa, especially the area around St David's... Stunning.
Books: what's everyone reading? on 21:13 - Sep 2 with 1651 viewsperchrockjack

I can meet you at hawarden bridge Lisa.

I ll buy you a small sherry

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Books: what's everyone reading? on 21:19 - Sep 2 with 1644 viewsvalleycommando

Just finished 'Dominion' by C J Sansom. An 'alternate history' where the novel is set in 1953 in a Britain that signed a peace treaty with Germany in 1940 and is now under German control. Beaverbrook is prime minister and Churchill leader of the underground Resistance. Very chilling and dark scenarios with plenty of food for thought.
Books: what's everyone reading? on 22:50 - Sep 2 with 1611 viewsLohengrin

Books: what's everyone reading? on 21:19 - Sep 2 by valleycommando

Just finished 'Dominion' by C J Sansom. An 'alternate history' where the novel is set in 1953 in a Britain that signed a peace treaty with Germany in 1940 and is now under German control. Beaverbrook is prime minister and Churchill leader of the underground Resistance. Very chilling and dark scenarios with plenty of food for thought.

I read that back in 2012 on publication and recall the ructions it caused at the time, which is always likely when you place real people in purely fictional events and effectively mock what they actually did and underwent in reality. I know it's only a counter-factual piece but I can well understand the offence taken by the children and wives of people not that long deceased.

Books: what's everyone reading? on 05:38 - Sep 3 with 1568 viewsphact0rri

Books: what's everyone reading? on 19:59 - Sep 2 by Lohengrin

I live in tennessee for a while back in my university days. and did a lot of mountain climbing hiking (actually its where I got hunger for mountain climbing its much better here in california). but one of my bandmates at the time got it into his mind we should hike out the appalachian trail having seen it in passing. we got about a week in, and were sore all over and realized we'd only went about 25%. think we came out somewhere in virgina and to sort bus for a trip back.

I always promised to do it for real sometime because it was a beautiful walk.

I'd also say I would love to hear about some good hiking spots in pembs .

Poll: Should EPL Refrees hold Post-Match Interviews

Books: what's everyone reading? on 10:09 - Sep 8 with 1483 viewsGreatBritton

How did this interesting thread on books get hikejacked?
Books: what's everyone reading? on 10:16 - Sep 8 with 1480 viewsLohengrin

Books: what's everyone reading? on 10:09 - Sep 8 by GreatBritton

How did this interesting thread on books get hikejacked?

Ha!

Back to books for a minute. With regards to your avatar there, have you read much Larkin?

Books: what's everyone reading? on 11:13 - Sep 8 with 1467 viewsPegojack

I read the thriller 'The Collaborator' by Gerald Seymour on my hols, very good holiday reading.
It's the story of a young woman who is part of one of the Naples Camorra, i.e. the 'mafia' families who control the city. She is hiding out from the authorities as a student in London where she has a fling with an English language teacher, but she has an attack of conscience after her friend dies as a result of her family's involvement in dumping toxic chemicals, and decides to collaborate with the authorities to bring the family down.
She buggers off back to Italy leaving no trace in London, but the English boyfriend decides to chase after her and track her down in Naples. Of course he unwittingly gets caught up in the stand off between the girl who's helping the authorities, and her criminal family.
I'm not sure I'd have been so keen to follow the Swans down to Naples a couple of years ago if I'd read this novel first! There's a lot of detail on the criminal underworld in the city. Recommended.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024