Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Books: what's everyone reading? 11:38 - Mar 21 with 23186 viewsthedrownedman

Just about to stay Shirley Jackson's 'Wer Have Always Lived in the Castle'.

The last book I read was The Killing Lessons, which was a fantastic read.
Books: what's everyone reading? on 20:02 - Mar 22 with 2612 viewsexiledclaseboy

Books: what's everyone reading? on 19:59 - Mar 22 by Lohengrin

That was a completely shameless rip off of The Holy Blood and The Holy Grail. Wholesale plagiarism.

I've read both and you're not wrong. Brown's writing makes me chuckle out loud sometimes. I very much doubt that was his intention.

Poll: Tory leader

Books: what's everyone reading? on 20:02 - Mar 22 with 2610 viewslondonlisa2001

Books: what's everyone reading? on 19:59 - Mar 22 by Lohengrin

That was a completely shameless rip off of The Holy Blood and The Holy Grail. Wholesale plagiarism.

Oh agreed, but it was bloody good :-)
Books: what's everyone reading? on 20:05 - Mar 22 with 2600 viewsBloodyhills

Books: what's everyone reading? on 00:19 - Mar 22 by Loyal

If it is true in its entirety it is an incredible story.

'The long walk' is a great read and sticking with endurance and survival 'Survive the Savage Sea' is an incredible story.
[Post edited 22 Mar 2016 20:05]

Poll: Who wants the Swans to lose games get relegated to get rid of Huw and the yanks.

Books: what's everyone reading? on 23:17 - Mar 22 with 2539 viewsTheArtChappy

Books: what's everyone reading? on 19:56 - Mar 22 by londonlisa2001

Can't beat a bit of Da Vinci Code - shame is that he could never repeat it !!

He did repeat it though, he used the same plot twist in all the other books.

The Art Chappy A.K.A Chris Chapman
Poll: should 3pm kick offs be allowed to be brocasted live

Books: what's everyone reading? on 00:47 - Mar 23 with 2525 viewsTummer_from_Texas

Books: what's everyone reading? on 21:08 - Mar 21 by Ebo

Ghost Rider by Neil Peart

Prior to that, I read Escape from Camp 14 - an account written by an escapee from one of North Korea's detention camps. Very very harrowing.
[Post edited 21 Mar 2016 21:19]

A couple of other Rush fans have told me lately that I need to read Ghost Rider. How did you like it?

Another historical book Im anxious to get and heard great things about is In The Garden of Beasts. It's about William Dodd, who became the American Ambassador to Germany in 1933, apparently having no idea what he was getting into. From what I understand, it's the story of how he tried to warn the US (in vain) about the Nazis during his 4 years in that position.
[Post edited 23 Mar 2016 0:48]

Poll: Biggest signing so far in January? (just curious what Planet Swans thinks)

Books: what's everyone reading? on 01:14 - Mar 23 with 2514 viewsSwansNZ

Books: what's everyone reading? on 19:34 - Mar 22 by exiledclaseboy

I love these threads. No one ever admits to reading the latest best selling paperback by some famous author. It's all earnest history reads etc.

Sycamore Row by John Grisham.

Not read Rogue Lawyer yet, but read all the other Grisham books, including the kids ones.

Reading Lee Child — Bad Luck and Trouble

Poll: Should the official match day thread include pictures?

Books: what's everyone reading? on 08:12 - Mar 23 with 2489 viewsDr_Winston

Books: what's everyone reading? on 23:17 - Mar 22 by TheArtChappy

In every Dan Brown book there's a good guy who turns out to be bad and a bad guy who turns out to be not that bad really.

I'm currently burning through Discworld novels and finding them to be not as funny as I was expecting.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Books: what's everyone reading? on 09:06 - Mar 23 with 2476 viewsLohengrin

Books: what's everyone reading? on 00:47 - Mar 23 by Tummer_from_Texas

A couple of other Rush fans have told me lately that I need to read Ghost Rider. How did you like it?

Another historical book Im anxious to get and heard great things about is In The Garden of Beasts. It's about William Dodd, who became the American Ambassador to Germany in 1933, apparently having no idea what he was getting into. From what I understand, it's the story of how he tried to warn the US (in vain) about the Nazis during his 4 years in that position.
[Post edited 23 Mar 2016 0:48]

The Larson book is well worth reading, Tum. You ought to read that in conjunction with Shirer's Rise and Fall.

On the subject of American perspectives another title you'll enjoy is Willetts's Rendezvous at the Russian Tea Rooms. It's the story of the US Embassy cipher clerk Tyler Kent and the Roosevelt-Churchill cables. It's an absolutley brilliant evocation of the paranoia and claustrophobia of London during the Phoney War period. I'd recommend it to anybody.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Login to get fewer ads

Books: what's everyone reading? on 14:44 - Mar 23 with 2444 viewsNeiltheTaylor

Books: what's everyone reading? on 08:12 - Mar 23 by Dr_Winston

In every Dan Brown book there's a good guy who turns out to be bad and a bad guy who turns out to be not that bad really.

I'm currently burning through Discworld novels and finding them to be not as funny as I was expecting.

This post has been edited by an administrator

I found that. Nerd humour!

Joe_bradshaw -I thought the cryochamber was the new name for Cardiff's stadium.

Books: what's everyone reading? on 14:46 - Mar 23 with 2441 viewsthedrownedman

I love these threads. No one ever admits to reading the latest best selling paperback by some famous author. It's all earnest history reads etc.

OK, for balance, I recently finished Eeny Meeny by MJ Arlidge. It was highly derivative, and I loved it.
Books: what's everyone reading? on 14:54 - Mar 23 with 2435 viewslondonlisa2001

Books: what's everyone reading? on 23:17 - Mar 22 by TheArtChappy

Ha! I guess I meant repeat it in a good blockbuster story rather than try to force it :-)

I enjoyed it - bit of nonsense but a good tale! I quite enjoyed Angels and Demons as well although the film was pretty awful.

The number of visitors to places in the book increased hugely apparently ! Tapped into everyone's great love of a good conspiracy theory I guess.
Books: what's everyone reading? on 18:23 - Mar 23 with 2413 viewsWarwickHunt

Books: what's everyone reading? on 20:02 - Mar 22 by exiledclaseboy

I've read both and you're not wrong. Brown's writing makes me chuckle out loud sometimes. I very much doubt that was his intention.

It's unintentionally hilarious, "a powerfully built woman effortlessly unstraddled her BMW motorcycle".

Made a few bob though...

Lovely parody here...

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2013/may/14/dan-brown-inferno-first-look
Books: what's everyone reading? on 18:27 - Mar 23 with 2410 viewsLohengrin

Warwick, have you got hold of your copy yet?

Books: what's everyone reading? on 18:30 - Mar 23 with 2409 viewsWarwickHunt

Innit.

À la recherche du temps perdu by Proust. In French like, obviously.
Books: what's everyone reading? on 18:44 - Mar 23 with 2399 viewsLohengrin

Books: what's everyone reading? on 18:30 - Mar 23 by WarwickHunt

Innit.

À la recherche du temps perdu by Proust. In French like, obviously.

My eldest does. I think she's about up to Le Fugitif.

Books: what's everyone reading? on 18:56 - Mar 23 with 2394 viewsWarwickHunt

Books: what's everyone reading? on 18:27 - Mar 23 by Lohengrin

Warwick, have you got hold of your copy yet?

Picked up the American hardback on my travels recently but haven't started it yet. Guralnick's always worth reading.

Have you read James Ellroy's Underworld USA Trilogy? Right up your street...
Books: what's everyone reading? on 18:58 - Mar 23 with 2390 viewsLord_Bony

"The Last Kingdom" by Bernard Cornwell...Viking classic.

For anyone who missed the BBC1 series remake of the book that was on recently I urge you to watch it...absolutely brilliant....

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Books: what's everyone reading? on 19:06 - Mar 23 with 2383 viewsWarwickHunt

Books: what's everyone reading? on 18:44 - Mar 23 by Lohengrin

My eldest does. I think she's about up to Le Fugitif.

It was A Remembrance Of Things Past when I read it. Turns out it's actually In Search of Lost Time.
Ce que le baiser?

Not enough football in Swann's Way and I gave La Fugitif a swerve as I'd seen the fillum...
Books: what's everyone reading? on 11:49 - Mar 25 with 2283 viewsGreatBritton

Books: what's everyone reading? on 18:23 - Mar 23 by WarwickHunt

It's unintentionally hilarious, "a powerfully built woman effortlessly unstraddled her BMW motorcycle".

Made a few bob though...

Lovely parody here...

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2013/may/14/dan-brown-inferno-first-look

thanks for link to the excellent parody
Books: what's everyone reading? on 19:19 - Mar 25 with 2245 viewsJack_Meoff

'Secrets of the Federal Reserve' by Eustace Mullins. The story of how the banking cabal got their hands on The US' central bank. Once you've an insight into the sheer skull*ckery and scale of theft by these demons, it'll make you question everything you think you know. If not for the fact that it was read on a kindle it would have been thrown against the wall in sheer anger on numerous occasions.

If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--forever.

Books: what's everyone reading? on 19:32 - Mar 25 with 2238 viewsLord_Bony

Books: what's everyone reading? on 19:19 - Mar 25 by Jack_Meoff

'Secrets of the Federal Reserve' by Eustace Mullins. The story of how the banking cabal got their hands on The US' central bank. Once you've an insight into the sheer skull*ckery and scale of theft by these demons, it'll make you question everything you think you know. If not for the fact that it was read on a kindle it would have been thrown against the wall in sheer anger on numerous occasions.

You been reading that book over a year now mun. When you gonna finish it ffs ?

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Books: what's everyone reading? on 19:34 - Mar 25 with 2236 viewsLohengrin

Books: what's everyone reading? on 19:19 - Mar 25 by Jack_Meoff

Books: what's everyone reading? on 19:45 - Mar 25 with 2225 viewsmonmouth

If you want an eminently readable explanation of the banking crash then The End of Wall Street by Roger Lowenstein is a good 'un. Also if you want to be astonished at some of the antics they got up to then Barbarians at the Gate by Burrough and Helyar (when journalists were investigative) will entertain you. You won't believe it's not made up.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Books: what's everyone reading? on 19:46 - Mar 25 with 2221 viewsLohengrin

Books: what's everyone reading? on 19:32 - Mar 25 by Lord_Bony

He's promoting it.

Books: what's everyone reading? on 19:47 - Mar 25 with 2220 viewsJack_Meoff

Books: what's everyone reading? on 19:32 - Mar 25 by Lord_Bony

What, have I mentioned it before or something?

If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--forever.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024