Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Everyone hates the Welsh language 17:39 - Sep 23 with 26394 viewsDarran

lol

http://www.southwales-eveningpost.co.uk/carmarthen-bookshop-fails-to-sell-welsh-

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 19:54 - May 17 with 2889 viewszedlep

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 18:31 - May 17 by walkingdude

Well you need a little more than a spell checker sport. You pepper your paragraph with conjunctions at the start of sentences, comas with conjunctions and just about all other errors. 'You and I' not 'you and myself' you f*****g half whit!

Stay on sites where 12 year old lads can express opinions in a more coherent manner and where an attempt at sarcasm might come across as funny.

You Welsh p** me off... Always bitching about one thing or another. You seem to thrive on the idea that you are down trodden... You protect a silly bog language which is only grunts and phlegm gathering... You don't even have your own country/passports/ National identity.

Enjoy the royal wedding you subservient obsequious nation of short c**ts.

I wonder, are you a student of the history of the land you hail from or just the history since the Germans turned up? Instead of regarding Welsh as the native language spoken in your neighbouring co-UK partner country, why don’t you just call it ‘ancient British’? It’s the language closest resembling that spoken by Boudica, the fabled Knights of the Round Table (if they existed) and all the people from all over the wonderful area now called Engerland before, during and after the Roman occupation. The great people who still speak it (despite all the best efforts of the English/Germans and laterly the English/French to kill it off) are the custodians of the ancient language of the Britons. If you had any style you would respect it.

80% of English are genetically more linked to the Celts than the Anglo Saxons.

I’m also 6ft 4in.

I am Spartacus!

Zedzdead

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 05:26 - May 18 with 2794 viewsphact0rri

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 23:40 - Sep 25 by jacktar

It is a big shame if they haven't uttered a word of Welsh since school though. I have neighbours who can speak Welsh but rarely use it at all to the extent their kids can't speak the language. So disappointing.
[Post edited 26 Sep 2016 0:00]

My nan makes me speak it. But thats about all the use I get out of it...

Poll: Should EPL Refrees hold Post-Match Interviews

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 08:42 - May 18 with 2752 viewsAguycalledJack

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 20:14 - Oct 2 by Catullus

I never said "massive road safety problem" they are your words. But if you have to exaggerate my words to try and prove your point, carry on.

Edit,

Plus, I don't hate Wales or the language, that's just another assumption on your part. I'm very proud to be Welsh but likewise British. Teaching Welsh in schools and colleges is great.
Spending money on bilingualism when schools, hospitals, the ambulance service and the police are facing cuts isn't great.
If you think bilingual road signs are more important than saving a life, again, carry on.

We can agree to disagree.
[Post edited 2 Oct 2016 20:22]

I’ve always found it odd that we have bilingual road signs. We live in wales, each town has its own welsh name. Why the need for the English version?

And I’m not a welsh speaker.
Everyone hates the Welsh language on 08:51 - May 18 with 2742 viewsTaliesin

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 08:42 - May 18 by AguycalledJack

I’ve always found it odd that we have bilingual road signs. We live in wales, each town has its own welsh name. Why the need for the English version?

This, with feckin bells on.

And I'm not a Welsh speaker either
Everyone hates the Welsh language on 18:13 - May 18 with 2643 viewsJonathans_coat

For “historical reasons”. Because Wales was conquered by the English crown in the early Middle Ages, place names were either changed or anglicised. These “English” names have largely been thier official names until the resurgence of the welsh language and national identity from the 1950’s onwards. So these names have been used for over 700 years!
Everyone hates the Welsh language on 18:25 - May 18 with 2634 viewsowainglyndwr

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 18:13 - May 18 by Jonathans_coat

For “historical reasons”. Because Wales was conquered by the English crown in the early Middle Ages, place names were either changed or anglicised. These “English” names have largely been thier official names until the resurgence of the welsh language and national identity from the 1950’s onwards. So these names have been used for over 700 years!

Right in one way.
But just to point out the English translation was only used by English speakers.
Welsh speakers would of used the native language over that 700 year period.
Everyone hates the Welsh language on 18:32 - May 18 with 2628 viewsswanforthemoney

As an English incomer I'd like to learn the language, but its too difficult for me, I'm pretty good at Spanish and French and absorb languages pretty well when I go abroad, but despite seeing a lot of Welsh in bilingual signs, pamphlets etc, it just doesn't sink in. It's a shame really.

I stand in the North Stand

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 18:59 - May 18 with 2613 viewsowainglyndwr

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 18:32 - May 18 by swanforthemoney

As an English incomer I'd like to learn the language, but its too difficult for me, I'm pretty good at Spanish and French and absorb languages pretty well when I go abroad, but despite seeing a lot of Welsh in bilingual signs, pamphlets etc, it just doesn't sink in. It's a shame really.

At least you show an interest.
It's the oldest know language of Europe
Login to get fewer ads

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 19:34 - May 18 with 2600 viewsAguycalledJack

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 18:25 - May 18 by owainglyndwr

Right in one way.
But just to point out the English translation was only used by English speakers.

So the bilingual signs are actually used to appease the English speakers as opposed to the welsh speakers?
Everyone hates the Welsh language on 23:45 - May 18 with 2550 viewsJonathans_coat

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 18:25 - May 18 by owainglyndwr

Right in one way.

Well yes obviously. What I meant was that was their “official names” in recorded history like maps and documents.
Everyone hates the Welsh language on 23:52 - May 18 with 2547 viewsJonathans_coat

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 19:34 - May 18 by AguycalledJack

So the bilingual signs are actually used to appease the English speakers as opposed to the welsh speakers?

In a way, yes! Take the town of Llandovery. That’s actually the anglicised version of the welsh name Llanymddyfri, which is pretty difficult for non welsh speakers to pronouce properly! Carmarthen and Caerfyrddin is another such example.

Some place names have totally different origins of course, the obvious one being Swansea/Abertawe. (Swansea being Viking origin, Abertawe being welsh for “mouth of the river Tawe”)
Everyone hates the Welsh language on 00:34 - May 19 with 2526 viewslonglostjack

Abertawe oh Abertawe .......

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 03:04 - May 19 with 2503 viewsKilkennyjack

2 languages is the norm the world over.

Its odd to only have 1 language.

Good knows how the little Englanders cope when driving abroad ? Pity mun.

Beware of the Risen People

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 19:49 - May 19 with 2414 viewsWingstandwood

I used to compete at (group recital and choir) Urdd Eisteddfods when at primary school and I noticed that non-Welsh speaking schools were never made to feel all that welcome. IMO the learners were an asset for its progression.
[Post edited 19 May 2018 20:15]

Argus!

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 09:28 - May 20 with 2322 viewsmoonie

This was an odd OP or maybe not.

Written to provoke without question. Clearly ,it shows the smarter poster stayed well away from it all rather than being drawn into a pointless inter necine spat .
It's a glorious day so get out there and enjoy it all with those you love instead of wasting time on pointless ,putrid provocation .

Love the one you re with ,in any language
Everyone hates the Welsh language on 11:24 - May 20 with 2299 viewsCaptain_Sham

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 18:31 - May 17 by walkingdude

Well you need a little more than a spell checker sport. You pepper your paragraph with conjunctions at the start of sentences, comas with conjunctions and just about all other errors. 'You and I' not 'you and myself' you f*****g half whit!

Stay on sites where 12 year old lads can express opinions in a more coherent manner and where an attempt at sarcasm might come across as funny.

You Welsh p** me off... Always bitching about one thing or another. You seem to thrive on the idea that you are down trodden... You protect a silly bog language which is only grunts and phlegm gathering... You don't even have your own country/passports/ National identity.

Enjoy the royal wedding you subservient obsequious nation of short c**ts.

Managing to spell half-wit wrong in an accusation of stupidity is quite something. Bravo.

Its just a ride.

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 14:47 - May 20 with 2255 viewsmoonie

Here s a funny new
When I drive into Waunarlydd ,I see a sign that says

Wauarlyrdd

Waunarlydd

Which is the anglised version of the village ?

I can understand the Fflint / Flint signs so as it doesn't offend the three Welsh speakers in the town .

Truly, it shows how divisive the language is . People seem to defend it more than their lives .

It's 2018
Everyone hates the Welsh language on 15:03 - May 20 with 2248 viewsexiledclaseboy

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 14:47 - May 20 by moonie

Here s a funny new
When I drive into Waunarlydd ,I see a sign that says

Wauarlyrdd

Waunarlydd

Which is the anglised version of the village ?

I can understand the Fflint / Flint signs so as it doesn't offend the three Welsh speakers in the town .

Truly, it shows how divisive the language is . People seem to defend it more than their lives .

It's 2018

It’s Waunarlwydd. And it’s Welsh.

Poll: Tory leader

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 15:31 - May 20 with 2229 viewsmoonie

I mistyped there A.

It's croeso to Waurarlydd so why repeat the name if it's Welsh .

All this makes me very uneasy .

I'd rather people focus their energies on moving Wales forward and creating wealth and jobs which are desperately needed.

We also see pitiful " little englander" posts which show a narrow minded ,introverted and backward mindset.

History ? is nowhere bear as important as the future

We ll be in Madeira restaurant hopefully Thursday night about & PM if you want to join us.
Everyone hates the Welsh language on 16:00 - May 20 with 2208 viewsTaliesin

"History ? is nowhere bear as important as the future "

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

History is every bit as relevant as the past. You cannot forget the past because it's a little inconvenient to your point of view
Everyone hates the Welsh language on 16:16 - May 20 with 2197 viewsmoonie

Wrong assumption.

History also condemns people s mindset to matters of the past.
It works both ways.
History is only relevant if there is a future and we must not be so obsessed with the past.

Mistakes of the past are not always replicated

Much depends on one s viewpoint ,which in the case of language defence , is absolute and unequivocable .

It's also a case of there being no circumstances where a discussion on e Welsh language is possible without a personal attack . It's as if an individual is being physically attacked .

Without doubt, like it or not, the most divisive of all matters in Wales.

Ironically, before much longer I ll be asked to scatter my father s
ashes either in Llandyssul or Ferryside, both Welsh speaking areas . When his family moved to Swansea during the thirties all his siblings spoke only Welsh at home but when living in Swansea began to speak English at home although his parents spoke on Welsh . They didn't see the necessity of having Welsh as a lingua Franca when they were living in a relatively cosmopolitan town as Swansea .

My late mother wasn't keen at all on Welsh ,possibly as she was a Sandfields girl and Welsh wasn't that prevalent there .

That's me out of this thread ,anyway. PM if you want to carry on
Everyone hates the Welsh language on 16:52 - May 20 with 2175 viewslifelong

My grandson goes to Pontybrenin Nursery in Gorseinon, he speaks English and Welsh and he’s not yet 4... I think it’s tremendous. Yma O Hyd.
Everyone hates the Welsh language on 21:48 - May 20 with 2124 viewsKilkennyjack

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 15:31 - May 20 by moonie

I mistyped there A.

It's croeso to Waurarlydd so why repeat the name if it's Welsh .

All this makes me very uneasy .

I'd rather people focus their energies on moving Wales forward and creating wealth and jobs which are desperately needed.

We also see pitiful " little englander" posts which show a narrow minded ,introverted and backward mindset.

History ? is nowhere bear as important as the future

We ll be in Madeira restaurant hopefully Thursday night about & PM if you want to join us.

Hi Perch.

We can have jobs and the welsh language, its not a choice.

Btw - simply scraping Tridentt would save £205 billion.

We could have nurses, doctors, schools, public services and our wonderful welsh language.

Yma o hyd. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 22:07 - May 20 with 2115 viewsBrynCartwright

I am Welsh; Most of the people that follow the Swans are Welsh; We all have a massive pride in being Welsh...and therefore we should all have a desire to maintain our beautiful, native language. When I hear a mother in my local Tesco talking to her young child in Welsh I am really happy. Welsh will never die, it is the oldest and best British language, and critics like Julian Ruck can go and feck themselves.

Poll: Artificial Crowd Noise for Premier League and Champiionship Games is...

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 22:33 - May 20 with 2103 viewsKilkennyjack

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 22:07 - May 20 by BrynCartwright

I am Welsh; Most of the people that follow the Swans are Welsh; We all have a massive pride in being Welsh...and therefore we should all have a desire to maintain our beautiful, native language. When I hear a mother in my local Tesco talking to her young child in Welsh I am really happy. Welsh will never die, it is the oldest and best British language, and critics like Julian Ruck can go and feck themselves.

Excellent post my friend 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿👏

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024