Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tomorrow's Mirror: Guidolin out if we lose to Liverpool. 22:45 - Sep 24 with 5951 viewsjackjackjackjack

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/swansea-move-wales-boss-chris-890473

The Swans will wield the axe if they lose to Liverpool next week – and the Man United legend wants Paul Scholes and Nicky Butt on his staff if he gets the job

Ryan Giggs and Chris Coleman top a five-man shortlist drawn up by Swansea City chiefs as they prepare to fire Francesco Guidolin.
And if former Manchester United and Wales star Giggs does get the nod to replace the Italian, he will ask former Old Trafford team-mates Nicky Butt and Paul Scholes to join his backroom team.
Butt is currently in charge of United’s academy and would have to give serious thought to turning his back on the Mancunian giants. But Scholes, now working as a TV pundit, would be available immediately, and Giggs would love to have him as part of his set-up.

Guidolin is unlikely to be sacked this week, despite the fact his side have won just one of their first six Premier League games - away to promoted Burnley on the opening day.
The club's top brass accept any manager would have difficulties against league leaders Manchester City, who beat them 3-1 on Saturday (having also won 2-1 at the Liberty in the EFL Cup three days earlier).
But another defeat, at home to in-form Liverpool next weekend, would seal Guidolin’s fate and a new man could then be appointed during the October international break.
It is understood chairman Huw Jenkins and the club’s new American owners plan to speak to Giggs, with talks potentially taking place this week.

Swansea-born Wales boss Coleman, who made more than 150 appearances for his hometown club between 1987 and 1991, is also in the running.
He would be a popular choice among Swans fans, even if his appointment would hurt the national team.
Coleman, 46, is a manager in demand after guiding Gareth Bale and co to the semi-finals of Euro 2016 in the summer despite it being the first finals for the Welsh since 1958.
He turned down an approach from promoted Hull City on the back of that success, but has made no secret of the fact he wants to return to Premier League management.
Guidolin has been described as a “dead man walking” by Swansea sources in the past week and a defeat by Liverpool, who put five past Hull on Saturday for their fourth win in a row, will end his eight-month reign at the Liberty Stadium.
[Post edited 24 Sep 2016 22:47]

Poll: Where will we finish in the Championship ?

Tomorrow's Mirror: Guidolin out if we lose to Liverpool. on 11:27 - Sep 25 with 1101 viewsmax936

Tomorrow's Mirror: Guidolin out if we lose to Liverpool. on 11:23 - Sep 25 by exiledclaseboy

To be honest I'm really not bothered whether Guidolin stays or goes but Giggs, Butt and Scholes? Jesus.

Frightening innit.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Tomorrow's Mirror: Guidolin out if we lose to Liverpool. on 11:33 - Sep 25 with 1088 viewsDarran

Tomorrow's Mirror: Guidolin out if we lose to Liverpool. on 11:21 - Sep 25 by max936

This hounding of Guidolin is disgusting in my opinion, whoever's responsible I hope the same happens to them in their career, the problems at the club go much deeper than Guidolin, if the board had concentrated on the club with the same concentration they give to feathering their own nests we'd probably be in a much better position.

Steve seriously mate hounding is not on but we've won one game this season and it's looking likely to be well into October before we win another one.

I feel sorry for the guy and I don't know if the beat Liverpool quote is correct or not, I think it's more to do with the international break,what better time to get rid of the manager but the international break like.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Tomorrow's Mirror: Guidolin out if we lose to Liverpool. on 11:35 - Sep 25 with 1078 viewsPrivate_Partz

Tomorrow's Mirror: Guidolin out if we lose to Liverpool. on 10:57 - Sep 25 by Brynmill_Jack

In my opinion Joe is best suited to the fetcher/carrier role, i.e. picking up the ball from Leon and carrying it forward to the AM or wingers or even passing down the channels
For the centre forward to run onto. But he's not a DM. He'd be great for us in front of Leon because our tempo would be fantastic .

Fair comment but I feel they are very similar. Leon shades it defensively whilst Joe has more attacking strings to his bow. Leon is a one off and a replica will be very difficult to find.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Tomorrow's Mirror: Guidolin out if we lose to Liverpool. on 11:43 - Sep 25 with 1048 viewsmax936

Tomorrow's Mirror: Guidolin out if we lose to Liverpool. on 11:33 - Sep 25 by Darran

Steve seriously mate hounding is not on but we've won one game this season and it's looking likely to be well into October before we win another one.

I feel sorry for the guy and I don't know if the beat Liverpool quote is correct or not, I think it's more to do with the international break,what better time to get rid of the manager but the international break like.

Ok that's a fair point, but do you think that things should have been put in place to have given him a stronger squad to chose from? and I'm ignoring the fact that Guidolin said that he was happy with the squad, he was hardly gonna say anything different in fairness he was obviously thinking about keeping onside with the players that were already here.

Apart from the Hull game which was obviously really disappointing did we really expect to get much out of these other game, a point against Chelsea was fantastic and with a bit of lady luck yesterday we might have got a point,

Burnley beat Liverpool the other week, if we turnup with the same attitude as yesterday who knows it might be our day again.

If the club have been speaking to Giggs or others which seems like public knowledge then that's fecking wrong and they should be ashamed of themselves, but unfortunately they probably couldn't give a fuk

Tomorrow's Mirror: Guidolin out if we lose to Liverpool. on 11:48 - Sep 25 with 1035 viewsDarran

Tomorrow's Mirror: Guidolin out if we lose to Liverpool. on 11:43 - Sep 25 by max936

Ok that's a fair point, but do you think that things should have been put in place to have given him a stronger squad to chose from? and I'm ignoring the fact that Guidolin said that he was happy with the squad, he was hardly gonna say anything different in fairness he was obviously thinking about keeping onside with the players that were already here.

Apart from the Hull game which was obviously really disappointing did we really expect to get much out of these other game, a point against Chelsea was fantastic and with a bit of lady luck yesterday we might have got a point,

Burnley beat Liverpool the other week, if we turnup with the same attitude as yesterday who knows it might be our day again.

If the club have been speaking to Giggs or others which seems like public knowledge then that's fecking wrong and they should be ashamed of themselves, but unfortunately they probably couldn't give a fuk

Yes I do.

As for things like sounding out other managers it only ever seems wrong at Swansea it's never wrong at any other club because it happens at every other club in the world.
It's called football in the 21st century.

Tomorrow's Mirror: Guidolin out if we lose to Liverpool. on 11:54 - Sep 25 with 1019 viewsmax936

Tomorrow's Mirror: Guidolin out if we lose to Liverpool. on 11:48 - Sep 25 by Darran

Yes I do.

As for things like sounding out other managers it only ever seems wrong at Swansea it's never wrong at any other club because it happens at every other club in the world.

That's fair enough but we've always tried to keep things quiet, but that strategy seems to have changed, if certain players have been feeding out information then they need to be brought to book imho.

Tomorrow's Mirror: Guidolin out if we lose to Liverpool. on 11:57 - Sep 25 with 1009 viewsDarran

Tomorrow's Mirror: Guidolin out if we lose to Liverpool. on 11:54 - Sep 25 by max936

That's fair enough but we've always tried to keep things quiet, but that strategy seems to have changed, if certain players have been feeding out information then they need to be brought to book imho.

People keep saying its players or agents (Taylor) leaking info but nobody knows that do they?
It could be a member of staff or someone in the board as far as we know.

Tomorrow's Mirror: Guidolin out if we lose to Liverpool. on 12:20 - Sep 25 with 965 viewsmax936

Tomorrow's Mirror: Guidolin out if we lose to Liverpool. on 11:57 - Sep 25 by Darran

People keep saying its players or agents (Taylor) leaking info but nobody knows that do they?
It could be a member of staff or someone in the board as far as we know.

NO, if it is the club then its a poor show imho, you haven't got agree.

Login to get fewer ads

Tomorrow's Mirror: Guidolin out if we lose to Liverpool. on 12:59 - Sep 25 with 921 viewsDJack

Tomorrow's Mirror: Guidolin out if we lose to Liverpool. on 10:44 - Sep 25 by Private_Partz

Don't often disagree but I would say Joe Allen is just that player. That aside our failure to strengthen midfield is a problem.
Having said that we have recently given Chelsea a scare with a superb second half performance and had two very good matches against Man City. Keep this up and we will be OK. We need to strengthen midfield in January but other than that it is just plain bonkers to break up the managerial set up now.
I was encouraged yesterday wiyh our commitment on the ball. The high pressing was good and Borja has a hell of game motor. Llorente gets better by the game as understandings build and Van Der Horn is real find. We won a much larger share of the 50 / 50 balls. Not worried about Liverpool. A result is a bonus but not beyond us. Lets see how we progress and how we get on against the Palaces and West Broms of this world. I feel much more optimistic and feel we could very well ride out this storm If Board, management, players and supporters all pull together

I agree with all except the Joe Allen bit. When Joey was here we tried him doing the Leon role and he was no where near capability...he is a different style of MF. Then we "tried" with Canas and that failed (that or the intended training for the role was binned).

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Tomorrow's Mirror: Guidolin out if we lose to Liverpool. on 14:29 - Sep 25 with 855 viewsImAlrightJack

Tomorrow's Mirror: Guidolin out if we lose to Liverpool. on 22:53 - Sep 24 by ImAlrightJack

We'll lose that one, can see it happening and I'm not enjoying it at all. Aston Villa won their first game of last season in similar circumstances to the Burnley game, and look at the way they went and our record after 6 is similar.

God sake, I appreciate things were a lot worse than this in the past, but it's still horrible seeing the hard work to get to this league and sustain coming undone very slowly.

When we went 2-1 down wrongly, the whole team just switched off and fell apart. When you are down there, decisions go against you.
[Post edited 24 Sep 2016 22:58]

-7, not suprised, just speaking my mind and being realistic. This isn't rugby where you get bonus points for narrow losses.
Tomorrow's Mirror: Guidolin out if we lose to Liverpool. on 14:43 - Sep 25 with 828 viewsjruss1

Urgh. One game should not make a difference. They either think he can work long term or they do not.
Tomorrow's Mirror: Guidolin out if we lose to Liverpool. on 14:50 - Sep 25 with 817 viewsmonmouth

Tomorrow's Mirror: Guidolin out if we lose to Liverpool. on 11:48 - Sep 25 by Darran

Yes I do.

Doesn't the question have to be whether he is getting the best out of what he has or whether somebody could get ( a fair bit, given the cost) more. Up until yesterday I would have said he wasn't.

Yesterday I still thought he could have been more pro-active with subs, but I thought it was certainly enough to have another look. Llorente looked a class better than he has, and the VdH/Amat link looks promising. Fact is is we stood up to the best team in the league and lost due to a goalkeeping error, a daft penalty and a breakaway. Hard to see what significant and immediate improvements another AVAILABLE manager could bring to that.

Unless of course they played that way because they think he's out!

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Tomorrow's Mirror: Guidolin out if we lose to Liverpool. on 15:38 - Sep 25 with 776 viewslondonlisa2001

Tomorrow's Mirror: Guidolin out if we lose to Liverpool. on 07:06 - Sep 25 by Dr_Winston

We preferred an out of position Naughton (who did quite well) to Taylor yesterday so I'd expect this stuff to keep coming for a while.

Quite.

Surprsing isn't it how the names mentioned are the Wales manager and some one that he'll know well from his it national career.

The bit about Swans fans being happy to see Coleman being manager is a giveaway as yo where this is coming from.

As an aside, Naughton played better at left back yesterday than Taylor has since his injury.

I'd keep him there for now with Rangel on the other side.
Tomorrow's Mirror: Guidolin out if we lose to Liverpool. on 16:07 - Sep 25 with 754 viewsmonmouth

Tomorrow's Mirror: Guidolin out if we lose to Liverpool. on 15:38 - Sep 25 by londonlisa2001

Quite.

Surprsing isn't it how the names mentioned are the Wales manager and some one that he'll know well from his it national career.

The bit about Swans fans being happy to see Coleman being manager is a giveaway as yo where this is coming from.

As an aside, Naughton played better at left back yesterday than Taylor has since his injury.

If it were just Moralee poison though, the club could, and would surely want to kill it stone dead?

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Tomorrow's Mirror: Guidolin out if we lose to Liverpool. on 16:11 - Sep 25 with 744 viewsDr_Winston

Tomorrow's Mirror: Guidolin out if we lose to Liverpool. on 16:07 - Sep 25 by monmouth

If it were just Moralee poison though, the club could, and would surely want to kill it stone dead?

That would take unity about his future from the club. Is there any?

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Tomorrow's Mirror: Guidolin out if we lose to Liverpool. on 16:20 - Sep 25 with 717 viewslondonlisa2001

Tomorrow's Mirror: Guidolin out if we lose to Liverpool. on 16:07 - Sep 25 by monmouth

I think it suits 'the club' in some ways as it is an answer to 'what's gone wrong'. The alternative answer of course is recruitment.

Note how in the last week or two, discussion has all centred on Guidloin and his competence or otherwise. There has been no press about the transfer window and the weaknesses in our squad.

As I've said on a nunber of occasions, I think the tinkering with players and formation has been Guidolin trying to establish a pattern that hides our deficiencies. He may just have found one by implementing a very high press, flexible formation. It takes a while to get that to work though - look at how long it's taken Klopp to do it at Liverpool with some very, very good players.

If he can keep this up until the window opens he may just save our bacon. But fans have to accept what he's doing. It works with Leon, Rangel and Routs and with Siggy 'fitting in'. It would be less likely to work with Montero starting. We have to see it for what it is.
Tomorrow's Mirror: Guidolin out if we lose to Liverpool. on 16:21 - Sep 25 with 711 viewsDr_Winston

The high press is something Udinese did under him.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Tomorrow's Mirror: Guidolin out if we lose to Liverpool. on 16:25 - Sep 25 with 689 viewslondonlisa2001

Tomorrow's Mirror: Guidolin out if we lose to Liverpool. on 16:21 - Sep 25 by Dr_Winston

The high press is something Udinese did under him.

I love it when we do it. Yesterday, there were several occasions when Stones and their keeper had the ball and we had 4 right up there. They were lucky that they didn't give it away (lucky together with being just very good players throughout their team). Lesser teams may well make a mistake and give the ball away (they did yesterday a bit, but not in a really dangerous position).

Sometimes of course, it ends up against us (their third goal as an example) but it's a joy to watch.
Tomorrow's Mirror: Guidolin out if we lose to Liverpool. on 16:36 - Sep 25 with 650 viewsNeiltheTaylor

Tomorrow's Mirror: Guidolin out if we lose to Liverpool. on 15:38 - Sep 25 by londonlisa2001

Quite.

I was feeling sympathetic to Taylor, but if this is in any way true he needs shagging

Joe_bradshaw -I thought the cryochamber was the new name for Cardiff's stadium.

Tomorrow's Mirror: Guidolin out if we lose to Liverpool. on 16:42 - Sep 25 with 633 viewslondonlisa2001

Tomorrow's Mirror: Guidolin out if we lose to Liverpool. on 16:36 - Sep 25 by NeiltheTaylor

I was feeling sympathetic to Taylor, but if this is in any way true he needs shagging

I don't know it's true. It's my speculation based on what we've seen and heard.

It certainly fits in with various whispers.
Tomorrow's Mirror: Guidolin out if we lose to Liverpool. on 16:43 - Sep 25 with 628 viewsjruss1

This stinks to me of Jenkins trying to get a deal done with Giggs before pushing the button on FG, avoiding the long search for a manager he had last season. Sam Wallace wrote an article today talking about Giggs possibly starting his managerial journey against Liverpool and urging him to accept an offer should it come this week.

The fact he has not denied any of this and did not write any programe notes suggests to me whether the stuff in the media is coming from agents or within the club....does not matter....there's a lot of truth to them regardless.
Tomorrow's Mirror: Guidolin out if we lose to Liverpool. on 16:44 - Sep 25 with 626 viewsNeiltheTaylor

And patterns of previous. You have me suspicious!

Joe_bradshaw -I thought the cryochamber was the new name for Cardiff's stadium.

Tomorrow's Mirror: Guidolin out if we lose to Liverpool. on 17:00 - Sep 25 with 591 viewswaynekerr55

Tomorrow's Mirror: Guidolin out if we lose to Liverpool. on 10:02 - Sep 25 by Brynmill_Jack

Perhaps Neil needs to go out on loan then. Just saying like

What gets me is he must genuinely be fûcking deluded if he thinks a new manager is going to pick him over Kingsley, in the same way as he thought he was a better option than Ben.

All assumptions of course, we don't know the truth.

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

Tomorrow's Mirror: Guidolin out if we lose to Liverpool. on 17:05 - Sep 25 with 580 viewsThornburyswan

Tomorrow's Mirror: Guidolin out if we lose to Liverpool. on 16:25 - Sep 25 by londonlisa2001

I love it when we do it. Yesterday, there were several occasions when Stones and their keeper had the ball and we had 4 right up there. They were lucky that they didn't give it away (lucky together with being just very good players throughout their team). Lesser teams may well make a mistake and give the ball away (they did yesterday a bit, but not in a really dangerous position).

Sometimes of course, it ends up against us (their third goal as an example) but it's a joy to watch.

I like it too but FG will need to be brave to keep going with it as it does leave spaces at the back if you press up the field with 3/4 players, particularly with Liverpool, Arsenal & MUtd to come in the next batch of matches - that said I do think it suits our players best & is probably why Montero & Barrow get benched regularly - Leon, Cork, Routs & Siggy are better at sticking/working to a plan & whilst I wouldn't say the same for Fer he does add physicality, height at set pieces & a goal threat.

Liverpool match next weekend will be another tough challenge, for me they (apart from Citeh) carry to strongest attacking threat in the league with multiple players with pace, skill, goal threat & a work ethic - however they are vulnerable at the back so we need to attack them. We are simply not good enough to defend against them for 90 mins.
Tomorrow's Mirror: Guidolin out if we lose to Liverpool. on 08:14 - Sep 26 with 406 viewsSwansNZ

Tomorrow's Mirror: Guidolin out if we lose to Liverpool. on 11:33 - Sep 25 by Darran

To be fair, we've had an opening fixture list from hell.

The only really poor/unexpected result was the Hull one. We're only 1 point off where I thought we'd be, and I think we'll end in the mid forty points at season end.

Poll: Should the official match day thread include pictures?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024