Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I Daniel Blake 15:21 - Oct 24 with 4904 viewsEbo

Anyone seen this yet? I watched the trailer and by god I was in bits at the end of it. Horrific country we live in, absolutely horrific.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/sep/11/i-daniel-blake-ken-loach-director-f

Thank you, goodnight and bollocks
Poll: What couldn't you live without?

I Daniel Blake on 15:34 - Oct 24 with 1825 viewsshimmie

Went to see it last night. Feel good film it ain't...
I Daniel Blake on 15:40 - Oct 24 with 1806 viewsEbo

I want to see it but I kind of don't. It is so similar to a fella who lived near me who worked all his life. He was always the first to organise charity events to help those in need. But he fell ill and had a massive stroke. He had no children and his wife had passed away leaving him isolated. He lost his job due to his health yet the government felt he was fit for work despite him not being able to speak properly and he had difficulty walking. Neighbours were caring for him as he had no immediate family. The stress killed him in the end.

Really really sad.

I Daniel Blake on 16:12 - Oct 24 with 1772 viewsFieryJack

Was planning on going to see it over the weekend but my girlfriend pulled out ill at the last moment. Should be on BBC TV within the next 12 months, though.

Lohengrin & Bluey have probably seen it - both long term fans of Ken Loach's work over the decades, I believe.
I Daniel Blake on 16:37 - Oct 24 with 1727 viewsLohengrin

I Daniel Blake on 16:12 - Oct 24 by FieryJack

Was planning on going to see it over the weekend but my girlfriend pulled out ill at the last moment. Should be on BBC TV within the next 12 months, though.

Lohengrin & Bluey have probably seen it - both long term fans of Ken Loach's work over the decades, I believe.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

I Daniel Blake on 16:46 - Oct 24 with 1711 viewsstevethejack

Excellent film, highly recommended and makes you really think. Saw it a few weeks ago, free preview screening before its release.
I Daniel Blake on 16:49 - Oct 24 with 1706 viewsDarran

I Daniel Blake on 16:12 - Oct 24 by FieryJack

Ken was on SSN last week talking about saving his beloved Bath City.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

I Daniel Blake on 17:34 - Oct 24 with 1650 viewsjohnlangy

It's just a film of course.

But a report on Breakfast TV this morning on the result of the DSS giving a contract to the private American firm Concentrix to search out people abusing the Tax Credit benefits shows that the film is deadly accurate in showing that they treat people like shit.
I Daniel Blake on 18:16 - Oct 24 with 1610 viewsblueytheblue

I Daniel Blake on 16:37 - Oct 24 by Lohengrin

Ah yes, the Loach who put up bail money for Assange. Coz it was all an evil American plot, see... or maybe da Jooz.

Poll: Alternate POTY final

Login to get fewer ads

I Daniel Blake on 18:34 - Oct 24 with 1592 viewsEbo

I Daniel Blake on 18:16 - Oct 24 by blueytheblue

Ah yes, the Loach who put up bail money for Assange. Coz it was all an evil American plot, see... or maybe da Jooz.

Would you watch the film then bluey? Or would it be too hard to swallow as it reveals a lot of hard truths about your beloved austerity.

I Daniel Blake on 18:50 - Oct 24 with 1562 viewsblueytheblue

I Daniel Blake on 18:34 - Oct 24 by Ebo

Would you watch the film then bluey? Or would it be too hard to swallow as it reveals a lot of hard truths about your beloved austerity.

Oh please... nobody is claiming the ATOS stuff wasn't fundamentally flawed. Equally, seems to be the ethos benefit fraud is ok. The "bad" cases are very much in the minority thankfully - doesn't excuse them whatsoever.

Loach on the other hand is the usual luvvie type - grammar school, studied law at Oxford -profitting by "standing up" for those working class plebs.

Next no doubt he'll do a film on Calais carefully explaining and educating to us all that those overwhelmingly male economic migrants are probably really just very, very confused women.
[Post edited 24 Oct 2016 18:51]

I Daniel Blake on 18:52 - Oct 24 with 1556 viewsDarran

How much money did he lose Bluester?

I Daniel Blake on 18:55 - Oct 24 with 1546 viewsshimmie

I Daniel Blake on 18:34 - Oct 24 by Ebo

The thing that it really hammered home to me is how if you're happy to take the p!ss out of the system you can. There's people out there that are professionals at it. But if you want to work we've created a system where it's easier for you not to.
I stopped a lad today in work I've nicked loads of times, he used to be a right wrong-un but I've always quite liked him. He's just been laid off for a cash in hand warehouse job because he took a day off to have a wisdom tooth out. I really felt for him. Yeah he's made mistakes but he's trying to get out of it and the "system" is making giving up the easiest option
One thing that did f?ck me off was the faux guilt in the cinema. I grew up poor and the youngest of 5 with just my mum to support us. I regularly remember her knocking on neighbours doors asking to borrow a tin of this or that to make a meal and she'd regularly go without herself. To hear those talking about how the poor are treated with tears running down their eyes after paying £18 for a cinema ticket sounded insincere and fu&king patronising.
I Daniel Blake on 18:55 - Oct 24 with 1543 viewsblueytheblue

I Daniel Blake on 18:52 - Oct 24 by Darran

How much money did he lose Bluester?

Dunno.

Found this in a Guardian article though...

"It is understood that a separate group of Assange supporters, thought to include the film-maker Ken Loach, the writer and campaigner Jemima Khan, the journalist John Pilger and the magazine publisher Felix Dennis have already forfeited bail cash worth £200,000 following a court order earlier this year."

Another group had stumped up around 120k or so from memory - went to court to get the money back, claiming they had no influence over Assange claiming asylum... lol.

I Daniel Blake on 18:57 - Oct 24 with 1541 viewsDarran

I Daniel Blake on 18:55 - Oct 24 by shimmie

The thing that it really hammered home to me is how if you're happy to take the p!ss out of the system you can. There's people out there that are professionals at it. But if you want to work we've created a system where it's easier for you not to.
I stopped a lad today in work I've nicked loads of times, he used to be a right wrong-un but I've always quite liked him. He's just been laid off for a cash in hand warehouse job because he took a day off to have a wisdom tooth out. I really felt for him. Yeah he's made mistakes but he's trying to get out of it and the "system" is making giving up the easiest option
One thing that did f?ck me off was the faux guilt in the cinema. I grew up poor and the youngest of 5 with just my mum to support us. I regularly remember her knocking on neighbours doors asking to borrow a tin of this or that to make a meal and she'd regularly go without herself. To hear those talking about how the poor are treated with tears running down their eyes after paying £18 for a cinema ticket sounded insincere and fu&king patronising.

£18 for a cinema ticket? Eh?

I Daniel Blake on 19:00 - Oct 24 with 1528 viewsshimmie

I Daniel Blake on 18:57 - Oct 24 by Darran

Picturehouse in Greenwich mate. Mrs birthday.
I Daniel Blake on 19:01 - Oct 24 with 1528 viewsblueytheblue

Best cinema I've been too in a while was the one at Butlins in Minehead.

Left wife with the sprogs, went off to watch Suicide Squad.

Old school cinema, dirt cheap tickets and food. Tickets printed out using a dot frigging matrix printer! Just the one screen, no ads just the film. Quality evening - think adult ticket around a fiver? Bargain.
[Post edited 24 Oct 2016 19:03]

I Daniel Blake on 19:04 - Oct 24 with 1519 viewsexiledclaseboy

Probably not far off at peak time in a London cinema. Although I'm not sure why people who've paid to see a film cant be moved by its subject matter,regardless of how much they paid.
[Post edited 24 Oct 2016 19:05]

Poll: Tory leader

I Daniel Blake on 19:07 - Oct 24 with 1506 viewsshimmie

I Daniel Blake on 19:04 - Oct 24 by exiledclaseboy

Probably not far off at peak time in a London cinema. Although I'm not sure why people who've paid to see a film cant be moved by its subject matter,regardless of how much they paid.

I probably didn't articulate it properly mate but you had to be there. The bird sat next to me was crying pretty much from the opening credits. Was going to show her a sreen shot of the league table and point out that some of us in the audience had real problems..
I Daniel Blake on 19:09 - Oct 24 with 1496 viewsexiledclaseboy

F*cking hell, Bluey. You seem like a nice bloke and everything but you seem to lead a peculiarly joyless existence. Every time you see something you like on telly you must be straight onto google to spoil it for yourself by hunting down yet more lefty hypocrisy.

I Daniel Blake on 19:10 - Oct 24 with 1491 viewsexiledclaseboy

I Daniel Blake on 19:07 - Oct 24 by shimmie

I probably didn't articulate it properly mate but you had to be there. The bird sat next to me was crying pretty much from the opening credits. Was going to show her a sreen shot of the league table and point out that some of us in the audience had real problems..

Never mind that, just show her this forum if she wants to see real evidence of the dregs of society.

I Daniel Blake on 19:10 - Oct 24 with 1491 viewsDarran

I Daniel Blake on 19:04 - Oct 24 by exiledclaseboy

I didn't say anything different you knob I was surprised at the price to get in.

I Daniel Blake on 19:11 - Oct 24 with 1483 viewsDarran

I Daniel Blake on 19:00 - Oct 24 by shimmie

Picturehouse in Greenwich mate. Mrs birthday.

Hope you enjoyed Luke even though you fancied Pete Burns.

I Daniel Blake on 19:12 - Oct 24 with 1479 viewsblueytheblue

I Daniel Blake on 19:09 - Oct 24 by exiledclaseboy

F*cking hell, Bluey. You seem like a nice bloke and everything but you seem to lead a peculiarly joyless existence. Every time you see something you like on telly you must be straight onto google to spoil it for yourself by hunting down yet more lefty hypocrisy.

Hardly needed to google that one.

I Daniel Blake on 19:15 - Oct 24 with 1470 viewsshimmie

I Daniel Blake on 19:11 - Oct 24 by Darran

Hope you enjoyed Luke even though you fancied Pete Burns.

I didn't say I fancied him. I said I toyed with the notion of what a it would be like to get a nosh off him. Big difference.
I Daniel Blake on 19:15 - Oct 24 with 1469 viewsDarran

I Daniel Blake on 18:55 - Oct 24 by blueytheblue

Dunno.

Found this in a Guardian article though...

"It is understood that a separate group of Assange supporters, thought to include the film-maker Ken Loach, the writer and campaigner Jemima Khan, the journalist John Pilger and the magazine publisher Felix Dennis have already forfeited bail cash worth £200,000 following a court order earlier this year."

Another group had stumped up around 120k or so from memory - went to court to get the money back, claiming they had no influence over Assange claiming asylum... lol.

I knew about Khan.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024