Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Our first team and chances of staying up this season 04:05 - Nov 28 with 3242 viewsdeanscfc

Not that it wasn't obvious previously but Saturday just showed the glarringly obvious strengths and weaknesses of the squad we have.

When Montero came on he made an immediate impact and created the late chance which lead to a goal. I don't care if he has a bad game or if there are questions over his attitude - you manage them and start him every single game that he is fit. With both Montero and Barrow we have two of the paciest wingers in the premier league and they will always cause fullbacks problems.

At striker, we now have options - we all knew that Borja and Llorente must have some quality and finally one of them has started playing. With both the above wingers creating chances then I feel confident we can start scoring goals.

Siggy...nothing needs to be said apart from that he is our best player. The rest of the midfield is decent enough. It's not top quality but it is good enough to do a job in this league.

Our defence though...

We all surely by now know what needs to happen. Whether we completely overhaul our defence in January or not will be the difference between us being a PL team next season.

Our fullbacks MUST be upgraded. If Neil Taylor is playing after January then I severely worry about our chances because we will just leak too many goals...he is just not sharp enough (neither is Naughton) and he also limits our options going forward (think back to all the talk when we had Ben Davies about how the modern day PL fullback needs to be able to overlap with the wingers etc). Kingsley is promising but in my opinion he should also not be starting. We urgently need quality in this position.

Centre backs. Obviously selling Ashley Williams was a huge blow and a pretty big mistake. There is no leadership, but I do believe that Amat at least is a decent player. Fernandez - not sure what has happened, either way he needs to improve or be shipped out. I don't think we should be replaying on VDH or Mawson to keep us in the PL. We must spend if Amat and Fernandez don't improve.

I think 3 out of 4 of our current back four may need to be replaced and whether we invest in these areas is what will make or break our season. Because, basically, with a fit Siggy, Barrow, Montero, Llorente and Borja we potentially have a lot of goals in this team. But they aren't going to score goals if they haven't got the freedom of knowing there is a solid defence behind them.

Fabianski - fine as is.

3 point on Saturday gave us hope and if we can get the odd win before January and upgrade our defence then there's no reason that we can't finish in a solid midtable position.
[Post edited 28 Nov 2016 5:13]
Our first team and chances of staying up this season on 08:02 - Nov 28 with 2452 viewsRevJames

Imperative that we build on the victory over Palace to create momentum and confidence.

The next 2 weeks needs to be about a game plan that delivers a minimum of 3 or 4 points.

Quite how we do this with the shambles of a defence will be for Bob to work out

I still have nightmares over the Sunderland game at home last season
Our first team and chances of staying up this season on 08:40 - Nov 28 with 2400 viewsJango

Agree with most of what the OP says but I do think Fabianski really needs to up his game. He's been really poor at times.
Our first team and chances of staying up this season on 10:38 - Nov 28 with 2249 viewsnierika

I dont understand why we dont start Amat with VdH. Does that partnership not work in training?
Our first team and chances of staying up this season on 10:39 - Nov 28 with 2244 viewsDevz00

Regarding the OP, I agree with a lot of it. However, the last para - 3 point on Saturday gave us hope and if we can get the odd win before January and upgrade our defence then there's no reason that we can't finish in a solid midtable position

We need more than the odd win before Jan. I know you didn't mean that literally but looking at the next 6 after Spurs -

Swansea City v Sunderland
West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City
Middlesbrough v Swansea City
Swansea City v West Ham United
Swansea City v Bournemouth
Crystal Palace v Swansea City

This is the biggest period for us, it's going to define our season.
[Post edited 28 Nov 2016 10:40]

Genetically, paedophiles have more genes in common with crabs than they do with you and me. Now that is scientific fact. There's no real evidence for it, but it is scientific fact.

Our first team and chances of staying up this season on 10:46 - Nov 28 with 2225 viewssherpajacob

Our first team and chances of staying up this season on 10:38 - Nov 28 by nierika

I dont understand why we dont start Amat with VdH. Does that partnership not work in training?

Best pair for me.

I know we bought two CBs in the summer, but best thing in January is to get an experienced guy in (John Terry would be ideal) to get them through this season.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Our first team and chances of staying up this season on 10:48 - Nov 28 with 2222 viewsPegojack

Our first team and chances of staying up this season on 10:39 - Nov 28 by Devz00

Regarding the OP, I agree with a lot of it. However, the last para - 3 point on Saturday gave us hope and if we can get the odd win before January and upgrade our defence then there's no reason that we can't finish in a solid midtable position

We need more than the odd win before Jan. I know you didn't mean that literally but looking at the next 6 after Spurs -

Spot on. Saturday's result gives us a glimmer of hope, no more than that. We're still in dire straits, and we need ten or eleven points from that run of games, or we've pretty much had it.
Our first team and chances of staying up this season on 10:49 - Nov 28 with 2208 viewsA_Fans_Dad

The OP seems to have missed a major contributor to our Squad, step up Mr Fer, now our highest scorer on 6 goals.
Some people are saying our back 4 are not good enough, but some of them are, not Taylor & not FF and definitely not Taylor & FF together under any other combinations of the rest.
Why BB settled on them based on just the Everton game after the good performances put in by the others I just can't understand, because that literally was a one of for them and they still leaked that late goal against Everton.
Our first team and chances of staying up this season on 10:52 - Nov 28 with 2210 viewsacejack3065

We need another forward, midfielder and as many defenders as we can buy at Christmas. If we win the home games we are supposed to and pick up points on the road then we still stand every chance of staying up.

Palace, Hull, Sunderland, Burnley and heck maybe even Watford are there for the taking relegation zone. Middlesbrough and Bournemouth are just plodding along too so they have no room for complacency.

The problem is usually there are some teams that are so bad that they keep other teams up e.g. villa last year. This season there aren't really any teams in that category. We will have to fight to stay up. We still have an enormous amount of work to do at pretty much every level but at least Saturdays game showed us that we can

a) actually take a lead from behind in a game, and
b) come back from a soul crushing reversal. That equalizer had me on the brink of burning my season ticket.

There might be fight in us yet.
Login to get fewer ads

Our first team and chances of staying up this season on 10:58 - Nov 28 with 2198 viewsDevz00

Our first team and chances of staying up this season on 10:48 - Nov 28 by Pegojack

Spot on. Saturday's result gives us a glimmer of hope, no more than that. We're still in dire straits, and we need ten or eleven points from that run of games, or we've pretty much had it.

Yep. After Palace, Jan/Feb looks horrendous.

Genetically, paedophiles have more genes in common with crabs than they do with you and me. Now that is scientific fact. There's no real evidence for it, but it is scientific fact.

Our first team and chances of staying up this season on 11:06 - Nov 28 with 2173 viewspencoedjack

Our first team and chances of staying up this season on 10:48 - Nov 28 by Pegojack

3 home wins at a point away at palace ?

Can see Big Sam replacing Pardew this week which will improve them unfortunately
Our first team and chances of staying up this season on 11:10 - Nov 28 with 2164 viewsBloodyhills

Our first team and chances of staying up this season on 10:38 - Nov 28 by nierika

This would be my first choice pairing.

Poll: Who wants the Swans to lose games get relegated to get rid of Huw and the yanks.

Our first team and chances of staying up this season on 11:19 - Nov 28 with 2133 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

Looking through Palace's starting eleven, I thought only Fer and Siggy were the only obvious players that would get into their eleven.

You could argue for Naughton, Fabianski and Amat too. However, it highlights just how rubbish our squad is.

Nonetheless, I expect us to take three points every match. Otherwise what is the point of even playing?

Poll: Should MP for Swansea East Carolyn Harris resign?

Our first team and chances of staying up this season on 11:23 - Nov 28 with 2133 viewsShonky

Our first team and chances of staying up this season on 10:58 - Nov 28 by Devz00

How can it be any worse than the last three months?

Its just a ride...

Our first team and chances of staying up this season on 12:05 - Nov 28 with 2070 viewsnierika

Our first team and chances of staying up this season on 10:58 - Nov 28 by Devz00

Need to be able to steal the odd result vs. the top teams like everyone else is!
Our first team and chances of staying up this season on 12:20 - Nov 28 with 2024 viewsDafyddHuw

Our first team and chances of staying up this season on 12:05 - Nov 28 by nierika

Need to be able to steal the odd result vs. the top teams like everyone else is!

Trouble is, everyone else has some idea of what managing in the Prem involves.
Our first team and chances of staying up this season on 12:40 - Nov 28 with 1981 viewsPrivate_Partz

Our first team and chances of staying up this season on 10:39 - Nov 28 by Devz00

This is a massively important run of matches. If we are not on at least 18 by The New Year we will struggle. Anything less than 15 and relegation is a real possibility.
I am pretty sure Bob is not up to the job but I hope that with Curt and Williams advising him plus player commitment then we may just be in with a shout.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Our first team and chances of staying up this season on 12:45 - Nov 28 with 1971 viewsDevz00

Our first team and chances of staying up this season on 11:23 - Nov 28 by Shonky

How can it be any worse than the last three months?

It might not be. But if we don't pick up enough points against those I mentioned earlier then what hope do we have with this run of games -

Swansea City v Arsenal
Liverpool v Swansea City
Swansea City v Southampton
Manchester City v Swansea City
Swansea City v Leicester City
Chelsea v Swansea City

That is Jan/Feb after Palace. The point is, after Spurs on saturday, we have a key run of 6 games and we should be looking to go unbeaten.

Our first team and chances of staying up this season on 12:58 - Nov 28 with 1939 viewsdeanscfc

I just meant getting enough points for us to still be in the running in January. But yes you're right in that there are some huge games here.
Our first team and chances of staying up this season on 13:07 - Nov 28 with 1912 viewsdeanscfc

Our first team and chances of staying up this season on 12:45 - Nov 28 by Devz00

It might not be. But if we don't pick up enough points against those I mentioned earlier then what hope do we have with this run of games -

Swansea City v Arsenal
Liverpool v Swansea City
Swansea City v Southampton
Manchester City v Swansea City
Swansea City v Leicester City
Chelsea v Swansea City

That is Jan/Feb after Palace. The point is, after Spurs on saturday, we have a key run of 6 games and we should be looking to go unbeaten.

I think some of those games are winnable (again, IF we strengthen the back 4). In previous PL campaigns we often seemed to fair well against the 'top' teams.
Our first team and chances of staying up this season on 13:13 - Nov 28 with 1899 viewsDyfnant

We need another left winger as history suggests Jeff won't stay fit. If we could add real quality in place of Cork I'd go for that first though. Sweinsteiger on loan would be the dream.

Poll: How much will SCFC spend on transfer fees this summer

Our first team and chances of staying up this season on 13:30 - Nov 28 with 1847 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Our first team and chances of staying up this season on 13:13 - Nov 28 by Dyfnant

We need another left winger as history suggests Jeff won't stay fit. If we could add real quality in place of Cork I'd go for that first though. Sweinsteiger on loan would be the dream.

Sweinsteiger made their squad yesterday but Morgan Schneiderlin isn't getting anywhere near the match day squad.

He'd be fantastic on loan but I'm dreaming.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Our first team and chances of staying up this season on 14:41 - Nov 28 with 1765 viewsjasper_T

He can't get near the first team of a Big Club now so he must be great innit
Our first team and chances of staying up this season on 15:05 - Nov 28 with 1721 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Our first team and chances of staying up this season on 14:41 - Nov 28 by jasper_T

He can't get near the first team of a Big Club now so he must be great innit

Do you really think Morgan Schneiderlin wouldn't improve our midfield?

Amazing.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Our first team and chances of staying up this season on 15:24 - Nov 28 with 1691 viewsLegend83

Our first team and chances of staying up this season on 15:05 - Nov 28 by Joe_bradshaw

Do you really think Morgan Schneiderlin wouldn't improve our midfield?

Amazing.

He absolutely would, but I'm not sure central midfield is a big a priority as full-back, centre-back and wing.

Llorente has shown enough to be considered the top of the spine, with Siggy in the AM role without a doubt.

The Cork / Fulton partnership could become something (although I have been very critical of Cork this season).

Fabianski is the best we have.

That leaves the remaining part of the spine which is iffy to say the least at CB. Amat and VdH seems the best bet but it doesn't fill me with confidence.

Naughton and Taylor are Championship at best.

Barrow runs hot and cold, Routledge and Dyer are past it, Montero is too inconsistent.

These are the 3 areas that need serious outlay.
Our first team and chances of staying up this season on 15:28 - Nov 28 with 1684 viewsLeonWasGod

Our first team and chances of staying up this season on 08:02 - Nov 28 by RevJames

Imperative that we build on the victory over Palace to create momentum and confidence.

The next 2 weeks needs to be about a game plan that delivers a minimum of 3 or 4 points.

Quite how we do this with the shambles of a defence will be for Bob to work out

I still have nightmares over the Sunderland game at home last season

This little run of 'easier' games, whilst not defining the season, is vitally important. I expect a loss against Spurs but then we need to pick up points against Sunderland, WBA, Middlesborough, Wet Spam and Palace. If that goes well, we could easily find ourselves lower mid table by the New Year and wondering what all the fuss was about. If it goes badly, we're right back in the doo doo.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024