Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The lack of home grown talent 19:08 - Feb 18 with 4209 viewsrock1n

Does anyone else think it's a shame we lack local personnel - I think in the long term we need to promoting youth a lot more

The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter

The lack of home grown talent on 19:26 - Feb 18 with 2901 viewsperchrockjack

Academy is great

Apparently

Spent lots on it

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

The lack of home grown talent on 20:10 - Feb 18 with 2862 viewsTheFranchise

Academy and youth is a long term thing. Something you do today may not be seen for 5 years.
The lack of home grown talent on 20:22 - Feb 18 with 2828 viewsjackrabbit

Yes I do. I think it is a reason for regret that as the flag flyers for Welsh football - the only Premier League club in Wales - we now have no Welsh players at all. I posted this opinion on SCFC2 and was shot down and derided for it. It'll be interesting to see what response it elicits here.
The lack of home grown talent on 20:25 - Feb 18 with 2810 viewsDarran

The lack of home grown talent on 20:22 - Feb 18 by jackrabbit

Yes I do. I think it is a reason for regret that as the flag flyers for Welsh football - the only Premier League club in Wales - we now have no Welsh players at all. I posted this opinion on SCFC2 and was shot down and derided for it. It'll be interesting to see what response it elicits here.

Well it's not a case of being shot down and derided for it if just doesn't matter,in an ideal world every player would be from Swansea but it is what it is in the 21st century.

There won't be many local boys in the PL winners for many many years to come.
[Post edited 18 Feb 2017 20:27]

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

The lack of home grown talent on 20:33 - Feb 18 with 2788 viewsmonmouth

Ideally, would rather have all Swansea boys, but we wouldn't be in the prem then so I'll get over it. I wish we were in a position to give some like James a chance, but it doesn't seem on the agenda.

At the moment I'm thrilled we have no Welsh. Alternative was retaining the 'services' of the heap of congealed vomit that is Neil Taylor.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

The lack of home grown talent on 20:34 - Feb 18 with 2781 viewsTheFranchise

There's a lad in the under 18s squad now, same age as my lad who has been there since he was 7. I'd say if there's anyone in the setup from Swansea that's going to come through it's him.
The lack of home grown talent on 20:39 - Feb 18 with 2767 viewsicecoldjack

I'm sure there will be in a few years time, South Wales has plenty of talent and as long as we can stay up in the top league we will eventually attract and keep the right kids .

Everything hinges on spending big money to stay in the premier league though, it seems a bit weird that we need to spend millions just to stay in it to finance the prospect of a young player coming through who we will then promptly sell for millions !

Football is just upside down nowadays, if Clement can build something and take in the age group levels it could be something quite special in the future, the likely hood is that Clement has a good season and a half and takes the next step while he's hot, just like Martinez and Rodgers.
It's all just a very very interesting time in the clubs History "if you build it they will come.."
The lack of home grown talent on 20:43 - Feb 18 with 2754 viewsperchrockjack

Good post icey

We could have a manager able and willing to truly transform us .

We need a marketing man in situ also ,not the likes of dineen

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Login to get fewer ads

The lack of home grown talent on 20:45 - Feb 18 with 2747 viewsDr_Winston

The lack of home grown talent on 20:10 - Feb 18 by TheFranchise

Academy and youth is a long term thing. Something you do today may not be seen for 5 years.

Amazing how hard that is for some people to grasp.

Not that I particularly care where our players are from. It just makes life easier if we can produce top quality talent instead of always having to buy it in.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

The lack of home grown talent on 20:47 - Feb 18 with 2742 viewsChief

If the talent isn't there, it isn't there. Can anyone think of any current South Walians playing in the top divisions that haven't been with us or Cardiff at some point? (either moved onto better ie Ben Davies or moved on as not good enough ie Jazz). Bales about it, it's not like they are being poached by English clubs like Bellamy or Hartson were in previous years.

Poll: Rate the ref's performance today

The lack of home grown talent on 20:49 - Feb 18 with 2733 viewsDarran

The lack of home grown talent on 20:47 - Feb 18 by Chief

If the talent isn't there, it isn't there. Can anyone think of any current South Walians playing in the top divisions that haven't been with us or Cardiff at some point? (either moved onto better ie Ben Davies or moved on as not good enough ie Jazz). Bales about it, it's not like they are being poached by English clubs like Bellamy or Hartson were in previous years.

Rambo.

The lack of home grown talent on 20:53 - Feb 18 with 2718 viewsChief

The lack of home grown talent on 20:49 - Feb 18 by Darran

Rambo.

Started his career at Cardiff. And went onto better things

Poll: Rate the ref's performance today

The lack of home grown talent on 20:54 - Feb 18 with 2708 viewsItchySphincter

The lack of home grown talent on 20:49 - Feb 18 by Darran

Rambo.

Cardiff.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

The lack of home grown talent on 20:55 - Feb 18 with 2707 viewsDarran

The lack of home grown talent on 20:53 - Feb 18 by Chief

Started his career at Cardiff. And went onto better things

Oh yeah I didn't read it right.

The lack of home grown talent on 20:57 - Feb 18 with 2698 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

The lack of home grown talent on 19:26 - Feb 18 by perchrockjack

Academy is great

Apparently

Spent lots on it

The academy is really, really, really great...........spent lots on it.......it's fantastic.

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

The lack of home grown talent on 21:09 - Feb 18 with 2662 viewsrock1n

The lack of home grown talent on 20:45 - Feb 18 by Dr_Winston

Amazing how hard that is for some people to grasp.

Not that I particularly care where our players are from. It just makes life easier if we can produce top quality talent instead of always having to buy it in.

Does every post with you have to be a cynical whinge Jobbie?

This is a fair debate that should be had

The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter

The lack of home grown talent on 21:11 - Feb 18 with 2652 viewsandypitt56

Well our U21s have been doing well, but most of those players have been bought. Our U18s however are bottom of their league. So its looks as though we have to hope there is some good talent in the ages below. Its going to be some time before we start replicating the likes of southampton.
The lack of home grown talent on 21:15 - Feb 18 with 2634 viewsrock1n

The lack of home grown talent on 21:11 - Feb 18 by andypitt56

Well our U21s have been doing well, but most of those players have been bought. Our U18s however are bottom of their league. So its looks as though we have to hope there is some good talent in the ages below. Its going to be some time before we start replicating the likes of southampton.

Good to know - would be great if we could have 3/4 in the team

The lack of home grown talent on 21:55 - Feb 18 with 2592 viewsKilkennyjack

If you are no good at your job you can hide it by saying give it 5 years.
Thanks for the millions, it will be all great in 5 years times.

Trouble with this approach is that bad coaches can use it and nobody will ever know.
Always say 5 years and judgement day is always 5 years away.
Perfect.

Everton are playing 18 year olds.

We used to produce Macca, Jazz, Ben and Joey.
Now nothing.

The u21s have 8 scottish players ffs, no room for the local lads.

I would sack the lot and start again. P@ss poor.
And not many of the sacked coaches would get a job at any other pro club - that for sure.

Beware of the Risen People

The lack of home grown talent on 22:18 - Feb 18 with 2556 viewsTheFranchise

The lack of home grown talent on 21:55 - Feb 18 by Kilkennyjack

If you are no good at your job you can hide it by saying give it 5 years.
Thanks for the millions, it will be all great in 5 years times.

Trouble with this approach is that bad coaches can use it and nobody will ever know.
Always say 5 years and judgement day is always 5 years away.
Perfect.

Everton are playing 18 year olds.

We used to produce Macca, Jazz, Ben and Joey.
Now nothing.

The u21s have 8 scottish players ffs, no room for the local lads.

I would sack the lot and start again. P@ss poor.
And not many of the sacked coaches would get a job at any other pro club - that for sure.

The problem we have now is that the local lads of the age you'd want them to step up were taken on when we were in league, the lad I mentioned as an example.

Everton are playing 18 year olds because they've been in the top flight far far longer than we have.

Joe Allen's come around once in a generation.
The lack of home grown talent on 23:23 - Feb 18 with 2495 viewsjackrabbit

The lack of home grown talent on 20:25 - Feb 18 by Darran

Well it's not a case of being shot down and derided for it if just doesn't matter,in an ideal world every player would be from Swansea but it is what it is in the 21st century.

There won't be many local boys in the PL winners for many many years to come.
[Post edited 18 Feb 2017 20:27]

Yes those are fair points. The response on SCFC2 was along the lines of "it doesn't matter where our players come from - Welsh or not it's irrelevant ".

I get that point also... but it's not irrelevant, and it is a matter for regret. Not that we're missing out on available top Welsh players. The only current Wales players who would improve the Swans IMHO are Bale, Ramsay and Ash Williams - and we're not likely to see any of them in a white shirt ..(again in the case of Ash).

The reality is that Swans are still relative newcomers to the top flight and it'll take many years of being established in the top flight before we see the benefits of our youth policy and start producing and attracting young players of sufficient talent to play at this level.

So for now, I agree, as long as our players keep us competitive in the Premier League, I don't really care where they come from. But that doesn't stop me dreaming that one day in the not too distant future Swansea City might be supplying half the Wales team that takes the field in the World Cup finals.
The lack of home grown talent on 00:19 - Feb 19 with 2431 viewsswan65split

as above, i would love to see the 21st Century Curtis, Charles , James, and Evans in the sqaud, things have changed PC games seem more important than Footy todasy it seems, every youngster seems to have their head in a phone rather than their feet on a ball.
The lack of home grown talent on 00:23 - Feb 19 with 2420 viewsKilkennyjack

The lack of home grown talent on 23:23 - Feb 18 by jackrabbit

Yes those are fair points. The response on SCFC2 was along the lines of "it doesn't matter where our players come from - Welsh or not it's irrelevant ".

I get that point also... but it's not irrelevant, and it is a matter for regret. Not that we're missing out on available top Welsh players. The only current Wales players who would improve the Swans IMHO are Bale, Ramsay and Ash Williams - and we're not likely to see any of them in a white shirt ..(again in the case of Ash).

The reality is that Swans are still relative newcomers to the top flight and it'll take many years of being established in the top flight before we see the benefits of our youth policy and start producing and attracting young players of sufficient talent to play at this level.

So for now, I agree, as long as our players keep us competitive in the Premier League, I don't really care where they come from. But that doesn't stop me dreaming that one day in the not too distant future Swansea City might be supplying half the Wales team that takes the field in the World Cup finals.

We could send our best Swansea youngsters to Falkirk. Falkirk do their magic. We could then buy them back and value them more.

No way through though - since Ben had a kick about.

We could then loan them out to yeovil and newport in readiness for the storming of the Premiership.

Brilliant.

Beware of the Risen People

The lack of home grown talent on 10:18 - Feb 19 with 2327 viewsDyfnant

Realistically the youth system is our relegation safety net. When we eventually go down I expect we'll see 4 or 5 of them play 20+ games for us in the championship. Hopefully that won't be until the youth systems been in place long enough to have the quality. If we get one now & again decent enough for our premier league squad then it's a bonus.

Poll: How much will SCFC spend on transfer fees this summer

The lack of home grown talent on 10:25 - Feb 19 with 2315 viewsLoyal

The lack of home grown talent on 20:22 - Feb 18 by jackrabbit

We could easily be flag flyers and be at a lower level.
It isn't just Swansea city's issue that younger players are not coming through, it's a Welsh thing.
Comes in spurts, a bit like love.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024