Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Guitar aficionados 21:06 - Apr 2 with 10816 viewsMrSwansea

Looking at getting a very cheap first electric guitar. Any tips?

Arseholes. The lot of you.
Poll: Who has received a pay rise in line with inflation within the last three years?

Guitar aficionados on 21:07 - Apr 2 with 5989 viewsJack_Meoff

Get a Telecaster. They f*cking rule.

If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--forever.

Guitar aficionados on 21:11 - Apr 2 with 5980 viewsMrSwansea

Guitar aficionados on 21:07 - Apr 2 by Jack_Meoff

Get a Telecaster. They f*cking rule.

I have read that it's a toss up between strato and tele. What's the difference? I really have no clue

Arseholes. The lot of you.
Poll: Who has received a pay rise in line with inflation within the last three years?

Guitar aficionados on 21:11 - Apr 2 with 5971 viewsDarran

Get one of these.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Guitar aficionados on 21:13 - Apr 2 with 5971 viewsDanWelsh86

However amazing Strats are (and I own one), I suggest you start with a Squire Strat as they're the cheapo one but still decent for a beginner.
Guitar aficionados on 21:13 - Apr 2 with 5970 viewslondonlisa2001

In all seriousness, when buying any musical instrument, never get a poorly made, cheap as chips new one if you can possibly afford something better. It'll ruin your enjoyment, and will be a waste of money as you'll get fed up of its lack of quality and pack it in really quickly.

Better to get a better quality, second hand guitar, or piano, or whatever, as you're far more likely to carry on with it, and it'll be much better value in the end for probably much the same price.
Guitar aficionados on 21:13 - Apr 2 with 5969 viewsClinton

Guitar aficionados on 21:11 - Apr 2 by Darran

Get one of these.

Take an hour just to tune that one.

If you can fill the unforgiving minute. With sixty seconds' worth of distance run, Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it, And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

Guitar aficionados on 21:15 - Apr 2 with 5954 viewsDarran

Guitar aficionados on 21:13 - Apr 2 by Clinton

Take an hour just to tune that one.

If you're able to play that you've got someone else tuning it for you.

Guitar aficionados on 21:21 - Apr 2 with 5953 viewsJack_Meoff

Guitar aficionados on 21:11 - Apr 2 by MrSwansea

I have read that it's a toss up between strato and tele. What's the difference? I really have no clue

God, now you're asking, and I own one of each. Both bloody nice instruments too. Tele is more of a solid all rounder I'd suggest. Absolutely awesome sound on an open chord with the right amp and pedal. Strat is more lightweight in feel and sound but if you're after a more 'trebly' feel that's your boy. Hendrix made them sound pretty big mind :)

If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--forever.

Login to get fewer ads

Guitar aficionados on 21:22 - Apr 2 with 5950 viewsNirvana

Guitar aficionados on 21:13 - Apr 2 by londonlisa2001

In all seriousness, when buying any musical instrument, never get a poorly made, cheap as chips new one if you can possibly afford something better. It'll ruin your enjoyment, and will be a waste of money as you'll get fed up of its lack of quality and pack it in really quickly.

Better to get a better quality, second hand guitar, or piano, or whatever, as you're far more likely to carry on with it, and it'll be much better value in the end for probably much the same price.

While I agree with most of this, if someone is interested enough to learn they will, no matter the quality of the instrument. If you quit because it doesn't sound cool enough you weren't going to progress very far in the first place.

Having said that, the best finds are always used, both for quality and value. The starter packs and beginner kits are overpriced, cheap plastic toys for the most part. I'd suggest looking through the classifieds or asking around if you have some creative friends.
Guitar aficionados on 21:28 - Apr 2 with 5938 viewsWarwickHunt

Much as I love Fenders you're paying for the name these days.
Trev Wilkinson designed these to a high spec and are much better value than the Mexican Fenders.
He's a bit of a pick-up genius so you'll get a great vintage Fender sound and they play beautifully

http://www.jhs.co.uk/vintage-v52-reissued-electric-guitar-butterscotch

Best price -

http://www.ivormairants.co.uk/vintage-reissued-v52-electric-guitar-butterscotch.

If you just want to test the water, the Thomann own brand Teles are apparently great value and start at about £70

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_hbt16bk_egitarre.htm

a few quid more gets you this beaut -

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_hbt1952.htm
Guitar aficionados on 21:47 - Apr 2 with 5899 viewsClinton

Go round the guitar shops and try a few. It needs to feel right even if you don't really know what you are looking at.
Depending what you want to play, Have you thought of an electro acoustic? Don't need the lead and amp all the time. Just pick it up and have a strum. Not as slick but perhaps more versatile ?

If you can fill the unforgiving minute. With sixty seconds' worth of distance run, Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it, And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

Guitar aficionados on 21:48 - Apr 2 with 5896 viewsLohengrin

Get saving in the biggest jar you can find, chap. Fill it to overflowing and bag yourself a Guild. You never know, in a few years this could be you sat in the living room...

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Guitar aficionados on 21:55 - Apr 2 with 5878 viewsJack_Meoff

Guitar aficionados on 21:48 - Apr 2 by Lohengrin

Get saving in the biggest jar you can find, chap. Fill it to overflowing and bag yourself a Guild. You never know, in a few years this could be you sat in the living room...

lovely playing!

If we're going into this realm though I'm going to have to introduce Steve Howe. Loved this guy for decades...

Guitar aficionados on 22:00 - Apr 2 with 5868 viewsLohengrin

Guitar aficionados on 21:55 - Apr 2 by Jack_Meoff

lovely playing!

If we're going into this realm though I'm going to have to introduce Steve Howe. Loved this guy for decades...

My pal in work is a real Prog nut. He bends my ear about Yes regularly!

Guitar aficionados on 22:08 - Apr 2 with 5853 viewsWarwickHunt

Guitar aficionados on 22:00 - Apr 2 by Lohengrin

My pal in work is a real Prog nut. He bends my ear about Yes regularly!

And he's still a mate?
Guitar aficionados on 22:29 - Apr 2 with 5829 viewsDarran

Guitar aficionados on 21:55 - Apr 2 by Jack_Meoff

lovely playing!

Magnificent that, I saw Jon Anderson in Cardiff a few weeks ago with Trevor Rabin and Rick Wakeman doing Yes songs. It was awesome.

Guitar aficionados on 23:03 - Apr 2 with 5809 viewsperchrockjack

If getting a tele , the Mexican ones are fine

Get decent amp

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Guitar aficionados on 23:48 - Apr 2 with 5794 viewsEasternJack

Guitar aficionados on 21:13 - Apr 2 by DanWelsh86

However amazing Strats are (and I own one), I suggest you start with a Squire Strat as they're the cheapo one but still decent for a beginner.

Agreed. Good balance. Stay away from anything that's unplayable action wise as it'll discourage you playing.

Poll: Hull vs Middlesborough - What do we want?

Guitar aficionados on 00:48 - Apr 3 with 5768 viewsphact0rri

Get something with a neck that isn't to thick for you to comfortbably hold, and frets that have a decent gapping for your fingers.

Don't worry about sound as much as build quality.

Poll: Should EPL Refrees hold Post-Match Interviews

Guitar aficionados on 09:14 - Apr 3 with 5708 viewsLohengrin

Guitar aficionados on 22:08 - Apr 2 by WarwickHunt

And he's still a mate?

Ha!

He does make a lovely cup of tea, though.

Guitar aficionados on 09:15 - Apr 3 with 5706 viewsWarwickHunt

Guitar aficionados on 09:14 - Apr 3 by Lohengrin

Ha!

He does make a lovely cup of tea, though.

Therapy?
Guitar aficionados on 09:15 - Apr 3 with 5704 viewsperchrockjack

I have two Acoustic Guilds.

I believe ,bang for buck, they are supreme.

They are "made to be played"

Guitar aficionados on 09:33 - Apr 3 with 5692 viewsWarwickHunt

Guitar aficionados on 09:15 - Apr 3 by perchrockjack

I have two Acoustic Guilds.

I believe ,bang for buck, they are supreme.

They are "made to be played"

Guild make great guitars.

For fingerstyle I'd say Ayers and Seagull (especially their Artist range) are as good as the big name guitars at double or treble the price.

The Taylor Mini GS sounds amazing for under £500.
Guitar aficionados on 09:47 - Apr 3 with 5679 viewsperchrockjack

I did look at that which you recommended for me some time ago but the electronics put me off.

I got this Mex Tele after a lot of shopping around In Liverpool music stores but settled on this. I played (badly) an American Strat, Tele and same with Mexican.

Someone said main difference is AmerIcan are made by Mexicans in USA AND Mexican by Mexicans in Mexico

I ve tried some pedals to nail my signature piece ,EVERLONG and so far failed, so I just stick at acoustic.

Anyone would to buy a Mex Tele

Guitar aficionados on 10:12 - Apr 3 with 5671 viewsLohengrin

Guitar aficionados on 09:15 - Apr 3 by WarwickHunt

Therapy?

I need therapy after two hours of Van der Graaf Generator!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024