Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tidal lagoon 18:41 - Dec 19 with 26004 viewsNogginthenog

Finished by the looks.
Tidal lagoon on 19:19 - Jun 1 with 2166 viewsmoonie

It's like having your homework marked ,Rog. Tedious ,man.

Hopefully, another exciting project will transform the city .

Any ideas ?
Tidal lagoon on 19:37 - Jun 1 with 2130 viewsPrivate_Partz

Tidal lagoon on 13:16 - Jun 1 by vetchonian

This is something the whole of Wales not just Swansea will need to get used to post Brexit.

People have ignored the fact so much of the invest ment in South Wales particularly over the past 40 years has come from EU funding.Those pro Brexit will argue that the British government will now have more funds due to not paying the EU so this will be available.....it probably will but will be spend as usual in the South East of England and we will see the Welsh economy and investment returning to the 1950s but without the coalminews and other industries which fueled the valleys. Cardiff too will start to see a strangle hold on the monies supplied from Westminster .....resulting in fewer projects but ensuring the bulk of funds are spent in the "capital".

I am glad I am of a "certain age" .......I wonder how in the future this country will be able to power itself as our reliance on electricity increases, our lifestyles are driven by electrical devices which either require recharging or mains power to run. We are being pushed towards Electric vehicles pray where will the power come from now we are shutting down fossil fule stations, Wind and solar power are not the fulll answer and rely on certain conditions ot allow them to work.....I could go on .....we as a nation are no longer in control of our own energy reliant on the import of gas from Asia and Russia,energy com panies owned by foreigners such as the French but hey ho we are "great Britain" we dont need any one else......I fear the future of this country....and am glad I have no children as they have noting to look forward too......not even Premier league football

What an excellent post and sums up for me the state of the UK, Wales and Swansea in particular.
I have both children and young grandchildren. If I live to see the youngsters get to working age I am sure they will have to leave Swansea to find any decent jobs.
Their parents work for the Council and their emploeyment is always under threat due to the cuts in Local Government which is the largest employer in this area.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Tidal lagoon on 19:38 - Jun 1 with 2127 viewsjack2jack

Anyone who thinks there are long term benefits in having a lagoon they can think again, when all the money has been made from it, by private enterprise, by the way, which tells the whole story, it will be left as a permanent reminder, that the people of Swansea were sold a pup, and left with a decaying concrete monument that nobody will want or even maintain for that matter.
It will be a folly for future generation to gaze at.
It will create wealth for those outside the area, and have little benefit to those who live here.Just an opinion, that's all.
Tidal lagoon on 19:43 - Jun 1 with 2122 viewsmoonie

You re right.An opinion which has as much merit as those believing it might be a good scheme.
Sadly, abuse and insults creep into the argument .

That would a brilliant critique vetchonian and sounded a heart felt paean for a once great town now dilapidated .

So , off you go Lifey, reply to vetchie . Ignore me .
Tidal lagoon on 20:01 - Jun 1 with 2101 viewslifelong

Tidal lagoon on 19:43 - Jun 1 by moonie

You re right.An opinion which has as much merit as those believing it might be a good scheme.

That would a brilliant critique vetchonian and sounded a heart felt paean for a once great town now dilapidated .

You stop mentioning me in your silly, juvenile manner and I will have no intention of responding to your illiterate postings.
Tidal lagoon on 20:02 - Jun 1 with 2096 viewsDarran

Tidal lagoon on 20:01 - Jun 1 by lifelong

You stop mentioning me in your silly, juvenile manner and I will have no intention of responding to your illiterate postings.

The bloke needs help Rog.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Tidal lagoon on 20:03 - Jun 1 with 2093 viewslifelong

Tidal lagoon on 20:02 - Jun 1 by Darran

The bloke needs help Rog.

Clean off.
Tidal lagoon on 20:08 - Jun 1 with 2085 viewsDarran

Tidal lagoon on 20:03 - Jun 1 by lifelong

Clean off.

Did you see his replies to me earlier about my old mate riding a motorbike through Wales to Swansea in 3 Hours.

The bloke needs a shrink big time.

Login to get fewer ads

Tidal lagoon on 20:18 - Jun 1 with 2069 viewslifelong

Tidal lagoon on 20:08 - Jun 1 by Darran

Did you see his replies to me earlier about my old mate riding a motorbike through Wales to Swansea in 3 Hours.

The bloke needs a shrink big time.

He’ll throw a wobbly before long and disappear again.
Tidal lagoon on 20:18 - Jun 1 with 2067 viewsDarran

Tidal lagoon on 20:18 - Jun 1 by lifelong

He’ll throw a wobbly before long and disappear again.

I hope so.

Tidal lagoon on 20:19 - Jun 1 with 2067 viewstaffpunk

Tidal lagoon on 13:25 - Jun 1 by Badlands

Wales ends East of Bridgend.
This would have been the biggest employment opportunity and guaranteed long term producer of energy (cheap over the lifetime the project) and be a draw for the area.
Yet again, like the electrification of the line from London, we've been shafted.
As Vetchonian pointed out - after Brexit and when May has her power-grab (supported by the Welsh Government) this part of the UK is once again going to be one of the poorest in the G7)
Premier League football??? Dream on. At least Newport isn't far.

'East of Bridgend'? Have you been to places like the Rhondda, Bargoed, Newport, Gwent Valleys in the last few years. It's criminal what's going on...

Second Time Around Record Shop-Tonypandy, RCT-Open Friday and Saturday. Valley Leaflets-Reliable Leaflet Distribution throughout South Wales.

Tidal lagoon on 20:26 - Jun 1 with 2054 viewsjack2jack

Tidal lagoon on 19:43 - Jun 1 by moonie

I'm pretty sure that at no stage of the discussions, where there debates as to whether it would be good for Swansea and it's inhabitants.
I'm also pretty sure that there would have been a lot of talk about how much money they could screw out of the scheme.
Call me cynicle if you like, you see the little people don't matter, just look what's happened elsewhere, know what I mean.
Tidal lagoon on 21:44 - Jun 1 with 2026 viewsDyfnant

People desperate to have a piece of the pie even when the filling”s a steaming turd.
12 permanent jobs.
‘Cheap local electricity’ complete fabrication, UK bills would increase to fund it for decades.
Water sports etc, in a lagoon that’s filling or emptying for the majority of time, real safe
If people want true green investment that creates local jobs and wealth, then PV solar subsidies are the proven route.

Poll: How much will SCFC spend on transfer fees this summer

Tidal lagoon on 22:02 - Jun 1 with 2009 viewsScotia

As I have said before. The lagoon, or power station to give it its more accurate description, would have brought very little long term benefits to the Swansea area. At the expense of possibly destroying Swansea bay as we know it.

It was a financial and engineering experiment hidden in PR spin. Hopefully this is the end of it and the council sort out the City centre. They could start by stopping feeding lagoon propaganda to Wales online, decorating the civic centre with lagoon posters and start the regeneration developments.
Tidal lagoon on 22:02 - Jun 1 with 2007 viewsKilkennyjack

Japan's government estimates the cost of cleaning up radioactive contamination and compensating victims of the 2011 Fukushima nuclear disaster has more than doubled, reports say. The latest estimate from the trade ministry put the expected cost at some 20 trillion yen ($180bn, £142bn).28 Nov 2016

Tidal power wins.

Beware of the Risen People

Tidal lagoon on 22:14 - Jun 1 with 1996 viewsDyfnant

Tidal lagoon on 22:02 - Jun 1 by Kilkennyjack

Japan's government estimates the cost of cleaning up radioactive contamination and compensating victims of the 2011 Fukushima nuclear disaster has more than doubled, reports say. The latest estimate from the trade ministry put the expected cost at some 20 trillion yen ($180bn, £142bn).28 Nov 2016

Tidal power wins.

I must’ve slept through that tsunami in the Bristol Chanel

Poll: How much will SCFC spend on transfer fees this summer

Tidal lagoon on 22:19 - Jun 1 with 1983 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

Tidal lagoon on 19:19 - Jun 1 by moonie

It's like having your homework marked ,Rog. Tedious ,man.

Hopefully, another exciting project will transform the city .

Any ideas ?

funfair down the rec ?

The city is falling apart perchie

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

Tidal lagoon on 23:35 - Jun 1 with 1942 viewsJonathans_coat

Tidal lagoon on 22:19 - Jun 1 by oh_tommy_tommy

funfair down the rec ?

It’s not falling apart though. It’s being torn asunder by the wilful neglect of both our “national”governments, and the incompetence of local government!
Tidal lagoon on 23:54 - Jun 1 with 1931 viewsKilkennyjack

Tidal lagoon on 22:14 - Jun 1 by Dyfnant

I must’ve slept through that tsunami in the Bristol Chanel

Point is ... if nuclear goes wrong, its way more expensive than renewable tidal.

Westmonster not comparing apples with apples.

Wales should full on renewable as soon as possible.

Feck fracking 👍

Beware of the Risen People

Tidal lagoon on 07:24 - Jun 2 with 1849 viewsDr_Winston

Tidal lagoon on 22:19 - Jun 1 by oh_tommy_tommy

funfair down the rec ?

It's no worse than plenty of other places in the UK, and better than quite a lot despite the narrative some seem desperate to push. Yes, there's plenty of room for improvement, but the way people bang on you'd swear we were twinned with Raqqa.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Tidal lagoon on 07:56 - Jun 2 with 1827 viewsraynor94

Tidal lagoon on 07:24 - Jun 2 by Dr_Winston

It's no worse than plenty of other places in the UK, and better than quite a lot despite the narrative some seem desperate to push. Yes, there's plenty of room for improvement, but the way people bang on you'd swear we were twinned with Raqqa.

Well, looking at the way the Town is being dug up, it looks very much like Raqqa

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Tidal lagoon on 08:52 - Jun 2 with 1790 viewsPrivate_Partz

Tidal lagoon on 07:24 - Jun 2 by Dr_Winston

I think we are talking about potential Doc.
Swansea is one of the poorest areas on the EU hence the funding it has attracted.
The fact that other areas are in the same boat is not a reason for complacency . We should all be demanding a fair slice of the cake.
Wales has a particular problem where the lions share of investment is in the Cardiff bubble to the detriment of the rest of us.
Worse it is going to get.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Tidal lagoon on 09:09 - Jun 2 with 1772 viewsexhmrc1

No pain no gain. Disruption is part of improvement and that is the case everywhere. The roadworks on Fabian Way have led to the Bay campus and hopefully the developments in the city centre will lead to an improvement. We wont know how successful it has been until it has been completed. That is the time to make judgements.
Tidal lagoon on 09:13 - Jun 2 with 1770 viewspeenemunde

The decision to cancel the project is in the hands of the British government, so you can’t really blame the people of Swansea, who imo would support the project.

Looks like the decision to cancel will be made on the same day as north Wales gets the go ahead to build a new nuclear power station, so every cloud has a silver lining i suppose.
Tidal lagoon on 09:15 - Jun 2 with 1769 viewsexhmrc1

Tidal lagoon on 08:52 - Jun 2 by Private_Partz

I think we are talking about potential Doc.
Swansea is one of the poorest areas on the EU hence the funding it has attracted.
The fact that other areas are in the same boat is not a reason for complacency . We should all be demanding a fair slice of the cake.
Wales has a particular problem where the lions share of investment is in the Cardiff bubble to the detriment of the rest of us.
Worse it is going to get.

It isnt the WAG that is causing this problem but the Tory government who have reneged on their promises on rail electrification and now the Tidal Lagoon. Will they pull the plug on the City deal as well. Much of our difficulties go back to the Tory government in the 80s. They close the pits and steelworks which were large employers and successive governments have brought in lots of call centres but no manufacturing jobs.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024