Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why does the WAG get away with it? 22:28 - May 8 with 7370 viewsrockj

I haven’t posted on here for around six months. I’ve been reading a lot of nonsense on here recently. One thing that has become clear old tribal bs has come back. Westminster gets slated day in day out, yet they’ve got capacity for 100k tests, we scrapped our targets because we couldn’t be even reach modest levels.

It smacks of its labour so that’s fine, if it’s the Tories then by definition they’re evil and we must slag them off an forget how useless labour are.

I think on VE Day it’s an outrage that the Nats in Scotland and Welsh labour have decided to be political. I’ve slated the tories on Brexit, I like to think I try to look at it issue by issue.

I sincerely hoped on this issue it would be like that but as ever tribal nonsense kicks in. No wonder Wales lags behind, we still reach for the comfort blanket when sh1t hits the fan.

For what it’s worth I agreed with the lockdown to get ducks in a row but I think we should be getting out there now and protect the most vulnerable. Otherwise we’ll have no Country to go back to and we’ll have huge issues with issues with metal health for example

We can’t hide away forever
[Post edited 8 May 2020 22:29]
Why does the WAG get away with it? on 13:35 - May 9 with 1387 viewsDr_Winston

Why does the WAG get away with it? on 13:21 - May 9 by Jinxy

I agree. They're making it up as they go along aren't they. Lockdown was an easy decision to defend, but effectively condemning us to exposure to CV-19 is potentially, well, political suicide unless carefully dressed up. You get the feeling they're backed into a corner. One other thing - why the 3 weeks between reviews? I know it may well be built into legislation, but days, let alone weeks, can make all the difference to businesses, but on the flip side lives too I guess. As those little Welsh darlings once said in front of Mr Cowell, that's a toughie.

We need a reliable antibody test. Once that's in place and they can accurately ascertain how far it's spread and who is likely to already be immune that'll go a long way towards shaking things loose.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Why does the WAG get away with it? on 13:39 - May 9 with 1377 viewsJinxy

Why does the WAG get away with it? on 13:35 - May 9 by Dr_Winston

We need a reliable antibody test. Once that's in place and they can accurately ascertain how far it's spread and who is likely to already be immune that'll go a long way towards shaking things loose.

What % do you think have already been infected? This could limit the benefit of that particular test, although of course a very good thing. There was that Ox Uni report that estimated up to 50% (weeks ago). Personally, right now I'd guess at 25% max.
Why does the WAG get away with it? on 13:43 - May 9 with 1370 viewsDr_Winston

Why does the WAG get away with it? on 13:39 - May 9 by Jinxy

What % do you think have already been infected? This could limit the benefit of that particular test, although of course a very good thing. There was that Ox Uni report that estimated up to 50% (weeks ago). Personally, right now I'd guess at 25% max.

Haven't the foggiest.

Put a gun to my head and I'd guess that because we left things a bit later and looser than some other places it's probably a bit more widespread here already than elsewhere. I doubt it's as high as 50%, but probably more than 25%.

But then again odds are you've got wide regional variations. The exposure in big cities like London, Manchester & Glasgow may well be 50% or more, whereas in rural areas it'll be much lower. That'll be a bugger to sort out. Probably an issue everywhere to be honest.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Why does the WAG get away with it? on 14:39 - May 9 with 1336 viewsrockj

Why does the WAG get away with it? on 13:07 - May 9 by Dr_Winston

It's amazing the number of people who seem to think that the current situation can continue indefinitely. The point of the lockdown was to "flatten the curve" and buy the NHS time. Job done. There's so much capacity some of it is already being mothballed.

Now we need to start opening things up again. Obviously not back to where they were yet, but more than now. A vaccine or treatment that diminishes Covid may take months, years or indeed never appear. Waiting for one before trying to return to normal is a non-starter.

Correct.

The same biased fools will be complaining about the tories with mass unemployment

This is my point there are trade offs

I personally feel long term economic damage is very concerning. No one is saying people who have chronic health conditions should be out or people who are genuinely fearful can work remotely should

But the rest of us need to get out there and keep the ship afloat.

Much of the fear is media driven - it’s time to let young people out and please, please stop the political games.

I do apologise to some posters for saying WAG I hope I didn’t hurt your feelings too much. Sheesh
Why does the WAG get away with it? on 15:11 - May 9 with 1298 viewsmonmouth

Why does the WAG get away with it? on 14:39 - May 9 by rockj

Correct.

The same biased fools will be complaining about the tories with mass unemployment

This is my point there are trade offs

I personally feel long term economic damage is very concerning. No one is saying people who have chronic health conditions should be out or people who are genuinely fearful can work remotely should

But the rest of us need to get out there and keep the ship afloat.

Much of the fear is media driven - it’s time to let young people out and please, please stop the political games.

I do apologise to some posters for saying WAG I hope I didn’t hurt your feelings too much. Sheesh

It's much more complicated though isn't it? As I understand 'the science' (I'm sure AFD will be along to correct me by googledegook) then anything above an R of 0.6 (? I might have made that one up) risks a second peak. And that really will destroy us in economic terms and make the mothballed capacity look pathetic. I think they must surely be expecting that second wave later in the year, but hoping it is shallower and that the NHS can absorb it when it comes, or that they are actually competent enough to deliver tracking, isolation and contact tracing..

I take the point that we can't cower in our homes forever, but we were weeks behind going in and will be weeks behind coming out. Let's hope this time somebody actually takes note of what's happening in countries in advance of us before making any politically driven decisions. I believe that if we'd taken tougher decisions earlier and taken things more seriously we would be able to end lockdown now and have thousands less deaths. Of course, the alternatives can never be proved.

The next two weeks should point the way. Personally I'd love to get out more, but I won't be going anywhere until I have a good look at what happens. Again I'm lucky enough to be able, although absolutely not ideal, to work from home for as long as it takes.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Why does the WAG get away with it? on 15:45 - May 9 with 1273 viewsCatullus

Why does the WAG get away with it? on 13:33 - May 9 by Dr_Winston

I suspect that we're already seeing it. More and more people are commenting about how much busier it's getting out there as opposed to three or four weeks ago.

People won't tolerate being restricted for that long. A lot of people can't afford to be restricted for that long.

I guess that's where we are lucky, my wife is on full pay and I'm getting my occupational pension, because of staying at home we are actually saving money but I know a few people who are suffering badly during this, one neighbour who is a chef, he works for a company that cut his hours but refused to furlough him, then they told him there was no chef work avaialble but he could have hours as a kitchen assistant on less pay. His partner is in the ame position. They are living on savings which are running out fast. I wonder how many are the same?

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Why does the WAG get away with it? on 15:47 - May 9 with 1271 viewsmajorraglan

Why does the WAG get away with it? on 15:11 - May 9 by monmouth

It's much more complicated though isn't it? As I understand 'the science' (I'm sure AFD will be along to correct me by googledegook) then anything above an R of 0.6 (? I might have made that one up) risks a second peak. And that really will destroy us in economic terms and make the mothballed capacity look pathetic. I think they must surely be expecting that second wave later in the year, but hoping it is shallower and that the NHS can absorb it when it comes, or that they are actually competent enough to deliver tracking, isolation and contact tracing..

I take the point that we can't cower in our homes forever, but we were weeks behind going in and will be weeks behind coming out. Let's hope this time somebody actually takes note of what's happening in countries in advance of us before making any politically driven decisions. I believe that if we'd taken tougher decisions earlier and taken things more seriously we would be able to end lockdown now and have thousands less deaths. Of course, the alternatives can never be proved.

The next two weeks should point the way. Personally I'd love to get out more, but I won't be going anywhere until I have a good look at what happens. Again I'm lucky enough to be able, although absolutely not ideal, to work from home for as long as it takes.

I agree with a lot of what you have said, an earlier harder lockdown should have reduced the spread and brought the R number down meaning an airliner end to lockdown and less lives lost. I read yesterday it was at 0.9 on account of the position in care homes, not sure whether that’s true though.
I think the whole thing could have been handled much better, we were testing, then we weren’t now we are and we are also looking at tracking people, where are they going to find the staff to do this?

We can’t stay in lockdown forever and we need to start preparing to come out, but it’s going to a lot of organising and preparation. The 2m distancing is legislated for in Wales and not all employers /companies can achieve that on their premises.

Living in Wales, where we have more space will make things a lot easier than it will be in places like London. We’re not out of the woods yet.
Why does the WAG get away with it? on 15:58 - May 9 with 1263 viewsJackinexile1

Why does the WAG get away with it? on 13:07 - May 9 by Dr_Winston

It's amazing the number of people who seem to think that the current situation can continue indefinitely. The point of the lockdown was to "flatten the curve" and buy the NHS time. Job done. There's so much capacity some of it is already being mothballed.

Now we need to start opening things up again. Obviously not back to where they were yet, but more than now. A vaccine or treatment that diminishes Covid may take months, years or indeed never appear. Waiting for one before trying to return to normal is a non-starter.

Exactly, I think some people are getting a bit too comfortable with their furlough payments.
Login to get fewer ads

Why does the WAG get away with it? on 15:58 - May 9 with 1261 viewsDr_Winston

Why does the WAG get away with it? on 15:45 - May 9 by Catullus

I guess that's where we are lucky, my wife is on full pay and I'm getting my occupational pension, because of staying at home we are actually saving money but I know a few people who are suffering badly during this, one neighbour who is a chef, he works for a company that cut his hours but refused to furlough him, then they told him there was no chef work avaialble but he could have hours as a kitchen assistant on less pay. His partner is in the ame position. They are living on savings which are running out fast. I wonder how many are the same?

There will be a lot of people out there struggling. A lot of self employed who not only can't work now, but will probably find it harder to get more work in a depressed economy. Even many of those on furlough will find themselves 20% worse off per month.

Why does the WAG get away with it? on 16:05 - May 9 with 1254 viewsexiledclaseboy

The irony of this thread is of course that the originator of it is one of the most tribal there’s ever been in this forum. Yes he had a Brexit blip like many Tories did but there were remainers and leavers in both main parties. But he’s a dyed in the wool Tory and equally as devoted to that as many are to Labour. Like many Tory voters though he considers himself above all accusations of being a Tory sheep. It’s only labour voters who have the sheep like mentality in his and many other Tory voters’ eyes.

Poll: Tory leader

Why does the WAG get away with it? on 17:37 - May 9 with 1210 viewsJackinexile1

Why does the WAG get away with it? on 16:05 - May 9 by exiledclaseboy

The irony of this thread is of course that the originator of it is one of the most tribal there’s ever been in this forum. Yes he had a Brexit blip like many Tories did but there were remainers and leavers in both main parties. But he’s a dyed in the wool Tory and equally as devoted to that as many are to Labour. Like many Tory voters though he considers himself above all accusations of being a Tory sheep. It’s only labour voters who have the sheep like mentality in his and many other Tory voters’ eyes.

As a civil servant, you are okay though.
Why does the WAG get away with it? on 17:44 - May 9 with 1197 viewsexiledclaseboy

Why does the WAG get away with it? on 17:37 - May 9 by Jackinexile1

As a civil servant, you are okay though.

In what way?

Why does the WAG get away with it? on 17:47 - May 9 with 1185 viewsJackinexile1

Why does the WAG get away with it? on 17:44 - May 9 by exiledclaseboy

In what way?

Apologies I've not only misquoted - I'm in the wrong thread.
Why does the WAG get away with it? on 17:48 - May 9 with 1181 viewsexiledclaseboy

Why does the WAG get away with it? on 17:47 - May 9 by Jackinexile1

Apologies I've not only misquoted - I'm in the wrong thread.

Ok. Was the question aimed at me anyway in whichever thread it should be in?

Why does the WAG get away with it? on 17:53 - May 9 with 1164 viewsJackinexile1

Why does the WAG get away with it? on 17:48 - May 9 by exiledclaseboy

Ok. Was the question aimed at me anyway in whichever thread it should be in?

Ignore me, I've got 2 days off...bought some beer and meat and in an irritable mood. I'm gonna read AfD and Pikey Paul to cheer me up.
Why does the WAG get away with it? on 17:54 - May 9 with 1162 viewsexiledclaseboy

Why does the WAG get away with it? on 17:53 - May 9 by Jackinexile1

Ignore me, I've got 2 days off...bought some beer and meat and in an irritable mood. I'm gonna read AfD and Pikey Paul to cheer me up.

Enjoy. Tends to work for me as well.

Why does the WAG get away with it? on 18:01 - May 9 with 1156 viewsrockj

Why does the WAG get away with it? on 16:05 - May 9 by exiledclaseboy

Nonsense absolute nonsense

I couldn’t vote for Boris, absolute zero chance I would

I think this debate is far more nuanced than people are willing to recognise:

For instance some questions beyond politics:

Obesity is highest in Europe

NHS is it as good as European systems? Honestly?

Cultural differences e.g. conformity

Population density

Statistics uniform across all Countries? Really?

How will other Nations economies fair in 12-18 months compared to ours?

How advanced are we in terms of a vaccine compared to others e.g. we have a World class pharmaceutical industrial base but have put less into testing capacity which in hindsight looks wrong

Would business have coped with an earlier Lockdown?

I could go on

I’m simply asking questions and falling for the tories the tories the tories crap
Why does the WAG get away with it? on 19:24 - May 9 with 1130 viewsexiledclaseboy

Why does the WAG get away with it? on 18:01 - May 9 by rockj

Nonsense absolute nonsense

I couldn’t vote for Boris, absolute zero chance I would

I think this debate is far more nuanced than people are willing to recognise:

For instance some questions beyond politics:

Obesity is highest in Europe

NHS is it as good as European systems? Honestly?

Cultural differences e.g. conformity

Population density

Statistics uniform across all Countries? Really?

How will other Nations economies fair in 12-18 months compared to ours?

How advanced are we in terms of a vaccine compared to others e.g. we have a World class pharmaceutical industrial base but have put less into testing capacity which in hindsight looks wrong

Would business have coped with an earlier Lockdown?

I could go on

I’m simply asking questions and falling for the tories the tories the tories crap

I agree that this transcends politics. I haven’t made any party points as it relates to Covid. You did though. Sheep.

Why does the WAG get away with it? on 19:34 - May 9 with 1115 viewsrockj

Why does the WAG get away with it? on 19:24 - May 9 by exiledclaseboy

I agree that this transcends politics. I haven’t made any party points as it relates to Covid. You did though. Sheep.

No I’ve merely tried to shine a spotlight our own Welsh Government who have next to no accountability and it needs to be said because it suits many people in this Country to keep telling people who don’t follow these things that it’s Matt Hancocks fault for example
Why does the WAG get away with it? on 19:38 - May 9 with 1113 viewsexiledclaseboy

Why does the WAG get away with it? on 19:34 - May 9 by rockj

No I’ve merely tried to shine a spotlight our own Welsh Government who have next to no accountability and it needs to be said because it suits many people in this Country to keep telling people who don’t follow these things that it’s Matt Hancocks fault for example

You did though. You weighed straight in with the Labour crap stuff. I know you haven’t been around for a while but there are very few on here who are supporters of Welsh Labour, the Senedd or devolution in general. You just reacted to what you’d have expected and/or wanted people to have been saying, not the reality of what they have been saying. Lesson learned, probably.

Why does the WAG get away with it? on 19:48 - May 9 with 1094 viewsrockj

Why does the WAG get away with it? on 19:38 - May 9 by exiledclaseboy

You did though. You weighed straight in with the Labour crap stuff. I know you haven’t been around for a while but there are very few on here who are supporters of Welsh Labour, the Senedd or devolution in general. You just reacted to what you’d have expected and/or wanted people to have been saying, not the reality of what they have been saying. Lesson learned, probably.

No I’ve read that long corona thread it’s all attacking Westminster next to nothing regarding WAG

Come on CB you’re an intelligent man. You can see what I’m getting at, there’s no question some are very happy to let the fact our health system is devolved be forgotten

It serves Wales very badly to keep up this pretence
Why does the WAG get away with it? on 20:45 - May 9 with 1058 viewsKilkennyjack

Why does the WAG get away with it? on 19:48 - May 9 by rockj

No I’ve read that long corona thread it’s all attacking Westminster next to nothing regarding WAG

Come on CB you’re an intelligent man. You can see what I’m getting at, there’s no question some are very happy to let the fact our health system is devolved be forgotten

It serves Wales very badly to keep up this pretence

Spot on mate.

Apart from the fact you are entirely wrong.

Beware of the Risen People

Why does the WAG get away with it? on 21:36 - May 9 with 1044 viewsrockj

Why does the WAG get away with it? on 20:45 - May 9 by Kilkennyjack

Spot on mate.

Apart from the fact you are entirely wrong.

Are you seriously comparing England and Wales?

London population is 9m ffs
Why does the WAG get away with it? on 21:40 - May 9 with 1040 viewsrockj

I just realised I’m arguing with a Nationalist

What a total waste of time
Why does the WAG get away with it? on 22:38 - May 9 with 1018 viewsKilkennyjack

Why does the WAG get away with it? on 21:36 - May 9 by rockj

Are you seriously comparing England and Wales?

London population is 9m ffs

You started comparing England and Wales.

You said .... ‘It serves Wales very badly’.

The percentages (not just the totals) suggest you are quite wrong.

Beware of the Risen People

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024