Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Puppy with Parvo Virus 06:04 - Aug 6 with 1344 viewsTummer_from_Texas

Has anyone ever had to deal with that, and does the story have a happy ending? This disease I'd never heard of (but is apparently pretty common, at least in Texas) has put me through an emotional rollercoaster over the last 8 days.

Two weeks ago, I adopted a 7 week old Aussie male who (of course) I named Jack. He and the rest of his litter had just had their first-round of shots the day before, which actually included a Parvo vaccination. After a few good days, Jack suddenly started vomiting like crazy and stopped eating. By last Thursday, I took him to an unscheduled appointment at the vet where I got this devastating news. Apparently, in a cruel twist of fate, he was exposed to the virus shortly before he got the vaccination for it.

This virus tears up the intestinal lining, and is usually fatal if the symptoms (the virus itself is incurable) are not treated very quickly. They had no idea how far along the virus was. They offered the option of a very, large expensive animal hospital called MedVet in Dallas, and I immediately took him there.

By that night, they had him on IV's for fluid, and when he would not eat, they added a feeding tube through his nose.

The wonderful news is that - after several days that included a slow return to eating on his own, a slow recovery of his white blood cell count, and an albumin transfusion, he's now back home with me.

He's not out of the woods yet - the virus lasts at least a couple of weeks with all the stuff they gave me, his medicine cabinet looks like it belongs to Joe Biden. So I'm still worried, but after he (knock on wood) makes it through this, his intestinal lining will recover fully they say, and (unlike COVID) he'll have permanent immunity from ever getting this again.

Couple of pics of Swansea Jack Tumulty in the hospital, and another when he got home:

[Post edited 6 Aug 2022 6:22]

Poll: Biggest signing so far in January? (just curious what Planet Swans thinks)

Puppy with Parvo Virus on 07:30 - Aug 6 with 1259 viewsangryjack

Lovely looking dog..prayers with you hope he pulls through..
Puppy with Parvo Virus on 07:33 - Aug 6 with 1259 viewsTreforys_Jack

Had a Jack Russell nearly 30yrs ago, who 3 days after bringing him home, started vomiting and shaking. Called the vet who came out and diagnosed parvo, long story short, they took him in for 2 days, put him on a drip and he was okay after about 3 days if I remember. He lived to a good old age but that was a worrying time.
Hope your story ends similarly, being a young dog can help. Horrible disease.
Puppy with Parvo Virus on 08:28 - Aug 6 with 1233 viewsTummer_from_Texas

Puppy with Parvo Virus on 07:33 - Aug 6 by Treforys_Jack

Had a Jack Russell nearly 30yrs ago, who 3 days after bringing him home, started vomiting and shaking. Called the vet who came out and diagnosed parvo, long story short, they took him in for 2 days, put him on a drip and he was okay after about 3 days if I remember. He lived to a good old age but that was a worrying time.
Hope your story ends similarly, being a young dog can help. Horrible disease.

THANK YOU that is EXACTLY the type of story I need to hear now. Glad you were able to give your Jack Russell had a good long life. I'm going to do everything I can to do the same for Jack.

Being such a fragile little puppy at this point is what really scares me, but it sounds like you had the same circumstances.
[Post edited 6 Aug 2022 8:30]

Poll: Biggest signing so far in January? (just curious what Planet Swans thinks)

Puppy with Parvo Virus on 10:03 - Aug 6 with 1190 viewsKeithHaynes

Puppy with Parvo Virus on 08:28 - Aug 6 by Tummer_from_Texas

THANK YOU that is EXACTLY the type of story I need to hear now. Glad you were able to give your Jack Russell had a good long life. I'm going to do everything I can to do the same for Jack.

Being such a fragile little puppy at this point is what really scares me, but it sounds like you had the same circumstances.
[Post edited 6 Aug 2022 8:30]

Dogs can get through this mate, it requires extreme treatment at times, and in every country pets cost cash for sure. Have you searched out the possibility of a blood transfusion from a dog who has survived parvovirus ? I only say this because it’s in the back of my mind it’s got a decent success rate.

Jack, now why would you call him that 😉

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Puppy with Parvo Virus on 10:17 - Aug 6 with 1183 viewsCountyJim

Wishing Jack all the best
Puppy with Parvo Virus on 11:11 - Aug 6 with 1165 viewsTummer_from_Texas

Puppy with Parvo Virus on 10:03 - Aug 6 by KeithHaynes

Dogs can get through this mate, it requires extreme treatment at times, and in every country pets cost cash for sure. Have you searched out the possibility of a blood transfusion from a dog who has survived parvovirus ? I only say this because it’s in the back of my mind it’s got a decent success rate.

Jack, now why would you call him that 😉

That was actually brought up as a possible option back at the hospital if he deteriorated enough. But he (so far) appears to be improving.

Puppy with Parvo Virus on 18:44 - Aug 6 with 1094 viewsbritferry

Yes and yes.

Had a sheep dog cross, quick and sharp as a button but when he was a pup, he caught it, went thru hell but he came thru it.

Had 10 great years with him.

Poll: Which kid would you give money to?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024