Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Scam calls 09:38 - Jan 4 with 3048 viewsCountyJim

Morning all after some advice if anyone can help

My mother in-law has dementia and is getting scam calls nearly every day, My wife is her carer she's rang sky telephone they are suggesting sky shield but this involves the mother in-law pressing certain buttons on the phone which isn't going to work because basically she'll forget what to do my wife even has to put telly on for her that's where we are.

Is there any way of having a list of trusted numbers and anything else is blocked for example .

Cheers in advance
Scam calls on 09:44 - Jan 4 with 2402 viewsWhiterockin

I know you can do it on a mobile but not a landline Jim. But I could be wrong.

EDIT

This may help but from my experience doesn't stop them completely.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/phone-internet-downloads-or-tv/stop-g
[Post edited 4 Jan 2023 9:47]
Scam calls on 09:47 - Jan 4 with 2393 viewsFireboy2

STID recommends BT Call Guardian. Hes had it a few years and he says it is just what you need. Just involves buying the handset and putting in family and friends numbers.

That's the only info hes given me Jim.
Scam calls on 10:00 - Jan 4 with 2368 viewsCountyJim

Cheers both the trouble is the mother in-law dementia means anything remotely complicated such as even remembering to press a button.

The only other option we are thinking is to turn the phone volume off so she can only ring out
Scam calls on 10:06 - Jan 4 with 2364 viewsWhiterockin

Scam calls on 10:00 - Jan 4 by CountyJim

Cheers both the trouble is the mother in-law dementia means anything remotely complicated such as even remembering to press a button.

The only other option we are thinking is to turn the phone volume off so she can only ring out

FB reply seems the best, looks like you could set it up and it would block all incoming calls except the ones you put in. Good luck Jim and take care, dementia is a bugger and very demanding on all the family.
Scam calls on 10:07 - Jan 4 with 2360 viewsfelixstowe_jack

You can block any number you want to on a landline. Just get a suitable handset it will show the number calling and you can decide add individual numbers to your blocked list.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Scam calls on 10:14 - Jan 4 with 2348 viewsonehunglow

TPS can help but doesn’t stop them completely . I advised my mother , when alive, to simply tell them to write a letter then put phone down . As regards callers , fit a video bell and simply refuse answer if caller unknown or agree password within family unit

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Scam calls on 10:23 - Jan 4 with 2335 viewsCountyJim

Scam calls on 10:07 - Jan 4 by felixstowe_jack

You can block any number you want to on a landline. Just get a suitable handset it will show the number calling and you can decide add individual numbers to your blocked list.

Trouble is these scammers use loads of numbers you block one they just ring with another

But thanks for suggesting
Scam calls on 10:29 - Jan 4 with 2329 viewsCountyJim

Scam calls on 10:06 - Jan 4 by Whiterockin

FB reply seems the best, looks like you could set it up and it would block all incoming calls except the ones you put in. Good luck Jim and take care, dementia is a bugger and very demanding on all the family.

Morning and thanks for the kind words 😊

It does look good but it still involves the mother in-law pressing buttons or saying commands she will not remember what to do as I said my wife even has to put telly on every day and leave on one channel mum can't even use the remote

We think the best bet may be out going calls only is the best option
Login to get fewer ads

Scam calls on 10:31 - Jan 4 with 2327 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Scam calls on 10:23 - Jan 4 by CountyJim

Trouble is these scammers use loads of numbers you block one they just ring with another

But thanks for suggesting

Most use the same number so it will cut down on numbers.

There is also a government site report@phishing.gov.uk site. Primarily it is for forwarding spam and scam emails but you can also send a message saying you are getting scam phone calls just add phone number to email.

You can get suitable phones from Argos just check facilities on phone.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Scam calls on 10:32 - Jan 4 with 2326 viewsFireboy2

Pm sent Jim 👍
Scam calls on 10:36 - Jan 4 with 2314 viewsCountyJim

Scam calls on 10:32 - Jan 4 by Fireboy2

Pm sent Jim 👍

Thanks very much
Scam calls on 16:51 - Jan 4 with 2216 viewsSTID2017

Hope you managed to sort things out Jim

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

Scam calls on 17:23 - Jan 4 with 2194 viewsSirjohnalot

Do you have power of attorney for her financial affairs ? Does she need a debit or credit card ? This way at least she will not be prone to giving her bank details out and they will be wasting their time.
Scam calls on 17:39 - Jan 4 with 2177 viewsCountyJim

Scam calls on 17:23 - Jan 4 by Sirjohnalot

Do you have power of attorney for her financial affairs ? Does she need a debit or credit card ? This way at least she will not be prone to giving her bank details out and they will be wasting their time.

Yes the wife does have power of attorney and because she doesn't go out anymore the wife keeps all banking stuff at ours .

What we worried about is the loft insulation scam these people find out where you live and go to the elderly house's and demand money.

I googled the one number last week that rang turns out it was the loft scam , The wife asked her if she gave out any details like address but her mum said she couldn't remember.

It's all very worrying
Scam calls on 17:52 - Jan 4 with 2156 viewsSirjohnalot

Would she understand a mobile phone ? You could get her a basic one that only people need to have the number.

If not if she’s with BT try this

https://www.bt.com/landline/calling-features

This post has been edited by an administrator
Scam calls on 17:58 - Jan 4 with 2136 viewsCountyJim

Scam calls on 17:52 - Jan 4 by Sirjohnalot

Would she understand a mobile phone ? You could get her a basic one that only people need to have the number.

If not if she’s with BT try this

https://www.bt.com/landline/calling-features

This post has been edited by an administrator

No mate as I said earlier the wife even has to put telly on for her and pick a channel she thinks she'd like till the evening and changes then.

She had problems with anything remotely technology before dementia
Scam calls on 17:59 - Jan 4 with 2134 viewsonehunglow

Scam calls on 17:39 - Jan 4 by CountyJim

Yes the wife does have power of attorney and because she doesn't go out anymore the wife keeps all banking stuff at ours .

What we worried about is the loft insulation scam these people find out where you live and go to the elderly house's and demand money.

I googled the one number last week that rang turns out it was the loft scam , The wife asked her if she gave out any details like address but her mum said she couldn't remember.

It's all very worrying

If her income is less than 16190 pounds then she can have free insulation for loft as well as cavity wall insulation .
You apply via the big six energy suppliers. Only e on allow you to apply on line .

I used to survey properties for this ten years ago but believe the same principles apply .

Trust nobody who cold calls . That simple. Do not engage in conversation whatsoever. I mean that .

Older people tend to make every effort to be polite and avoid upsetting anyone in any way. This is the hardest thing if all to change as this behaviour is taught by good families bringing up their kids . It remains for life .

Free insulation is NOT a scam but sadly some criminals have picked up on it to muddy the waters

Wife and sister have POA for their mother and have done foe ten years . I’d add yourself to POA or get another family member .

The loft might well be insulated to standard anyway. Cavity walls depends on structure of house and many stone built houses in Wales obviously have no cavity to fill

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Scam calls on 18:01 - Jan 4 with 2130 viewsSirjohnalot

Scam calls on 17:58 - Jan 4 by CountyJim

No mate as I said earlier the wife even has to put telly on for her and pick a channel she thinks she'd like till the evening and changes then.

She had problems with anything remotely technology before dementia

https://www.ageconnectsnpt.org.uk/contact

Age concern may be able to help ?

Office 37-38, Alfred Street
Neath
SA11 1EH

Telephone
01639 617333
Email
info@acnpt.org.uk
Scam calls on 21:01 - Jan 4 with 2089 viewsfbreath

This would do the job for you as you can create a white list so only allowed numbers can get through.

You could set it up for her she doesn’t need to do anything. The only time you would touch it is to add a number to the white list or delete an existing number if someone changes their number.

https://www.cprcallblocker.com/products/cpr-call-blocker-v10000

We are the first Welsh club to reach the Premier League Simples

Scam calls on 21:21 - Jan 4 with 2073 viewsLuther27

Scam calls on 09:47 - Jan 4 by Fireboy2

STID recommends BT Call Guardian. Hes had it a few years and he says it is just what you need. Just involves buying the handset and putting in family and friends numbers.

That's the only info hes given me Jim.

Yep…can vouch for that as I’ve had it a couple of years. I can honestly say I’ve not had any spam calls since. Well worth it.
Scam calls on 22:17 - Jan 4 with 2044 viewsfbreath

Scam calls on 10:06 - Jan 4 by Whiterockin

The problem with BT call guardian is that you have to add numbers and manually block numbers as they ring. From what Jim said she wouldn’t have the capacity to do this.

With my suggestion you create a white list so only allowed numbers can ring her. This could be just friends family doctors etc. and can be added to as required. So will only take short while to set up.

With all options you will need to subscribe to caller display feature though I thing this is standard with most providers but best to check as it won’t work without it.

We are the first Welsh club to reach the Premier League Simples

Scam calls on 23:46 - Jan 4 with 2011 viewsswansvalleyjack

My mother in law has dementia. We keep the landline phone there, but to avoid her dealing with scam calls, we mute it, and anyone genuine who is ringing can leave a message on the voicemail. The landline is also BT broadband. So we've set up Alexa at her house and at our house. Then we use the Alexa Dot (speaker) or Alexa Echo Show (video) systems ie the "drop in" option, where she has no buttons to press, and we can speak straight to her.
Scam calls on 23:59 - Jan 4 with 1995 viewsswansvalleyjack

We also use "e-Control" to remotely change TV channels for her; "Meross Plugs" to remotely switch her lights on/off; and "Amazon Echo Flex/Motion Sensor" to tell us where she might be in the house. It can all be a bit complicated to set up, but once done, gives some peace of mind from a distance.
Scam calls on 01:16 - Jan 5 with 1969 viewsRobbie

Being , I admit north of 60 years of age , I have always believed my few brain cells still available were on the ball and sharp , but , I was so far lured into a scam call to me , the callers had my mobile / BT landline numbers somehow , and I started to listen to their promises of upgrading and improving my security measures via my HSBC/BT/ Amazon .

The worst thing was the callers sounded so convincing , I understand background chatter noises are now used for false appearences for so called tele sales staff .

Stupidly I came quiet close to falling for their patter , then somehow said not interested in their suggestions then the repeat calls came in , non stop , they gave up in the end .

Appreicate this is not an answer to how vunerable people handle these fraundsters . but my personal experince of them .
Scam calls on 18:10 - Jan 14 with 1753 viewsCountyJim

Thanks for everyone's advice the wife has put her mum's phone on silent so she can still rung out

That's the best we can do tbh

And we've installed a ring door bell with the app on the wife's phone
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024