Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Managing our mental health 18:15 - Feb 6 with 29359 viewsKeithHaynes

This works. We shouldn’t forget our responsibilities to ourselves.

1. Value yourself:
Treat yourself with kindness and respect, and avoid self-criticism. Make time for your hobbies and favorite projects, or broaden your horizons. Do a daily crossword puzzle, plant a garden, take dance lessons, learn to play an instrument or become fluent in another language.

2. Take care of your body:
Taking care of yourself physically can improve your mental health. Be sure to:
Eat nutritious meals
Avoid smoking and vaping-- see Cessation Help
Drink plenty of water
Exercise, which helps decrease depression and anxiety and improve moods
Get enough sleep. Researchers believe that lack of sleep contributes to a high rate of depression in people.

3. Surround yourself with good people:
People with strong family or social connections are generally healthier than those who lack a support network. Make plans with supportive family members and friends, or seek out activities where you can meet new people, such as a club, class or support group.

4. Give yourself:
Volunteer your time and energy to help someone else. You'll feel good about doing something tangible to help someone in need – and it's a great way to meet new people.

5. Learn how to deal with stress:
Like it or not, stress is a part of life. Practice good coping skills: Try One-Minute Stress Strategies, do Tai Chi, exercise, take a nature walk, play with your pet or try journal writing as a stress reducer. Also, remember to smile and see the humor in life. Research shows that laughter can boost your immune system, ease pain, relax your body and reduce stress.

6. Quiet your mind:
Try meditating, Mindfulness and/or prayer. Relaxation exercises and prayer can improve your state of mind and outlook on life. In fact, research shows that meditation may help you feel calm and enhance the effects of therapy.

7. Set realistic goals:
Decide what you want to achieve academically, professionally and personally, and write down the steps you need to realize your goals. Aim high, but be realistic and don't over-schedule. You'll enjoy a tremendous sense of accomplishment and self-worth as you progress toward your goal.

8. Break up the monotony:
Although our routines make us more efficient and enhance our feelings of security and safety, a little change of pace can perk up a tedious schedule. Alter your jogging route, plan a road-trip, take a walk in a different park, hang some new pictures or try a new restaurant.

9. Avoid alcohol and other drugs:
Keep alcohol use to a minimum and avoid other drugs. Sometimes people use alcohol and other drugs to "self-medicate" but in reality, alcohol and other drugs only aggravate problems.

10. Get help when you need it:
Seeking help is a sign of strength – not a weakness. And it is important to remember that treatment is effective. People who get appropriate care can recover from mental illness and addiction and lead full, rewarding lives.

This post has been edited by an administrator

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Managing our mental health on 22:12 - Feb 6 with 3522 viewsSTID2017

Managing our mental health on 21:47 - Feb 6 by Boundy

I have to admit after being diagnosed with the dreaded C for a second time my thoughts and emotions are everywhere, not helped by the treatment which won't cure me but delay the inevitible for as long as I keep the faith. So far the phyisical aspect of the illness hasn't affected me but the mental one is a bit of a battle at times but suprisingly I sleep well enough .I suppose like grief what I'm experiencing comes in waves with peaks and troughs and in the middle a short period of forgetfulness for which I'm grateful for even in small doses .But temepered with all that is the thought that I'm not buried under tonnes of rubble or hiding in a shelter being attacked by missles unlike some poor innocent souls .Theres always someone worse of then you so treasure and look after what you have because its not forever

Echoes those words.
Especially the last sentence as can lose your loved ones in a blink of an eye

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

Managing our mental health on 22:13 - Feb 6 with 3522 viewsAguycalledJack

Managing our mental health on 20:07 - Feb 6 by max936

great post, but how do you get enough sleep, I am a terrible sleeper and have been for yrs, think I've just got used to it now, I wake regularly through the night mostly to use the toilet then struggle to get back, if I'm feeling stress full its even worse, with head sweats etc, don't know what to do about it.

Getting enough sleep is easy to say, but hard for those that don't.

I use sleep hypnosis on you tube to get me off to sleep. Particularly when stressed which is usually work related. Look up Jodey Whitley sleep hypnosis on you tube, there’s different time periods, different subjects, sleep hypnosis for relaxation, depression, full body relaxation etc. I was sceptical but it works for me. I usually go for the 8 hour sessions. Fall asleep within 5-10 mins and wake up after about 6-8 hours fully refreshed. A good nights sleep makes hell of a difference to the day ahead. I also didn’t realise that stress can cause weight gain, and a good nights sleep can also help with that.
Managing our mental health on 23:00 - Feb 6 with 3469 viewsonehunglow

Managing our mental health on 22:12 - Feb 6 by STID2017

Echoes those words.
Especially the last sentence as can lose your loved ones in a blink of an eye

That post of boundys is visceral reminder for us all

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Managing our mental health on 05:23 - Feb 7 with 3444 viewsYossarian

Where is this from Keith? I

"Yossarian- the very sight of the name made him shudder.There were so many esses in it. It just had to be subversive" (Catch 22)

Managing our mental health on 15:40 - Feb 7 with 3354 viewsLohengrin

I have to admit after being diagnosed with the dreaded C for a second time my thoughts and emotions are everywhere, not helped by the treatment which won't cure me but delay the inevitible for as long as I keep the faith. So far the phyisical aspect of the illness hasn't affected me but the mental one is a bit of a battle at times but suprisingly I sleep well enough .I suppose like grief what I'm experiencing comes in waves with peaks and troughs and in the middle a short period of forgetfulness for which I'm grateful for even in small doses .But temepered with all that is the thought that I'm not buried under tonnes of rubble or hiding in a shelter being attacked by missles unlike some poor innocent souls .Theres always someone worse of then you so treasure and look after what you have because its not forever

I’m deeply, deeply sad to be reading that.

It’s redundant too say how sorry I am but honestly, mate 😢

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Managing our mental health on 16:06 - Feb 7 with 3347 viewsswan65split

I wish you well with your illness, and would say keep talking, don't keep it in, tell people, tell us, I am sure any of us would help if we can YJB.
Managing our mental health on 17:38 - Feb 7 with 3312 viewsonehunglow

Managing our mental health on 16:06 - Feb 7 by swan65split

I wish you well with your illness, and would say keep talking, don't keep it in, tell people, tell us, I am sure any of us would help if we can YJB.

Goes for us all .
Nice post

Managing our mental health on 17:41 - Feb 7 with 3320 viewsmax936

Sad post Boundy, but thanks for sharing and posting the post even though it was probably a difficult one for you to write.

Stay strong and keep posting

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Login to get fewer ads

Managing our mental health on 18:36 - Feb 7 with 3299 viewsFlashberryjack

So sorry to read this Boundy, I understand what you are going through, I have first hand knowledge, as a very close family member has been fighting the same battle for the last 3 years.

Have you contacted Maggies ( Swansea) and/or Macmillan ? they have been wonderful.

My thoughts and sincere prayers go with you.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Managing our mental health on 19:06 - Feb 7 with 3275 viewscontroversial_jack

I'm sorry to hear this. I wish Boundy all the very best
Managing our mental health on 20:05 - Feb 7 with 3267 viewsKeithHaynes

Managing our mental health on 20:49 - Feb 6 by max936

Mental health is much much more than poor sleep though, its a serious subject and a complex subject which is well above my knowledge.

Get some good sleep, then the next day make some more clearer decisions.
That’s the basis.

Managing our mental health on 20:23 - Feb 7 with 3252 viewsbuilthjack

Lost for words. Stay strong Boundy. People are here for you any time.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Managing our mental health on 20:50 - Feb 7 with 3241 viewsBoundy

Thanks again all for your kind words, my post above was a moment that I felt putting down on "paper " how I felt/feel . I'm aware of McMillan and Maggie's and so far I've resisted contacting them m why I don't know maybe because it'll reinforce my thoughts on my condition , I don't discuss it with my wife and family because I don't want to give them more worries in what's already for them a difficult period in their lives with all that's going on in the world and the impact its having on them,

All's not lost I'm still here and intend to be here for as long as I can be , that's all any of us can hope for . Have a PSA BLOOD TEST please , you know it makes sense

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Managing our mental health on 21:14 - Feb 7 with 3222 viewsSullutaCreturned

Managing our mental health on 20:50 - Feb 7 by Boundy

Thanks again all for your kind words, my post above was a moment that I felt putting down on "paper " how I felt/feel . I'm aware of McMillan and Maggie's and so far I've resisted contacting them m why I don't know maybe because it'll reinforce my thoughts on my condition , I don't discuss it with my wife and family because I don't want to give them more worries in what's already for them a difficult period in their lives with all that's going on in the world and the impact its having on them,

All's not lost I'm still here and intend to be here for as long as I can be , that's all any of us can hope for . Have a PSA BLOOD TEST please , you know it makes sense

Boundy, my sister works for MacMillan, or at least she did. She's in the same position as you, its not a matter of if but when. I sincerely wish you all the best and hope you outlive any and all expectations.

My sister can't face returning to work because she struggles with her own issue and helping others with that same problem is not something she feels able to do anymore. She needs to focus on herself and her family.

If just one othr person reads your post and saves their own life, you'll have done a good thing. Maybe I'll speak to my doctor this week, none of us are immune.
Managing our mental health on 00:13 - Feb 8 with 3175 viewsDJack

Keep fighting. Delay the inevitable as much as it is humanly possible. Keep posting.

Wishing you the best.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Managing our mental health on 12:23 - Feb 8 with 3114 viewsMrSwerve

1. Exercise
2. Exercise
3. Exercise

The rest will follow.

Poll: Decision day - who wins the PL title?

Managing our mental health on 12:44 - Feb 8 with 3106 viewsswan65split

Managing our mental health on 20:50 - Feb 7 by Boundy

I can understand all that having been in a similar position myself, if it will help, write it down and keep keep a diary. itll help you when you look back, and may help someone else in the future.
Managing our mental health on 06:40 - Feb 9 with 3020 views1983

Managing our mental health on 12:44 - Feb 8 by swan65split

I can understand all that having been in a similar position myself, if it will help, write it down and keep keep a diary. itll help you when you look back, and may help someone else in the future.

I have suffered with mental health for years but it really raised it's head in 2016 and presented it's self, it opened up so many questions about my life and past life.

It never goes away you just have to manage it sometimes people just say "oh what you want to do is" ...XYZ.

One size does not fit all but I do find a walk 30-40 minute walk about an hour just before bed time works for me, it helps if you have a dog then you have to do it no excuses!

I think it's the mixture of darkness, cold, being outside and loads of oxygen that helps your mind empty and and body unwind.
[Post edited 9 Feb 2023 6:43]

Managing our mental health on 08:26 - Feb 9 with 2992 viewsBoundy

Managing our mental health on 06:40 - Feb 9 by 1983

I have suffered with mental health for years but it really raised it's head in 2016 and presented it's self, it opened up so many questions about my life and past life.

It never goes away you just have to manage it sometimes people just say "oh what you want to do is" ...XYZ.

One size does not fit all but I do find a walk 30-40 minute walk about an hour just before bed time works for me, it helps if you have a dog then you have to do it no excuses!

I think it's the mixture of darkness, cold, being outside and loads of oxygen that helps your mind empty and and body unwind.
[Post edited 9 Feb 2023 6:43]

I'm sorry to hear that , good positive mental health is probably more important than having similar physical because when things become too much to bare they can sometimes manifest itself physically .

I suffered a minor breakdown quite a few years ago based on past experiences leading to support from others , I got through it by determination and without the use of antidepressants ( which were making me worse). I totally agree about walking etc in fact anything which increases the endorphin levels in your n brain, mine at the time was and now to a lesser extent was cycling , now with two dogs to walk and the spring to look forward to .

I hate the winter but even that now doesn't seem to have the same impact as it once did .
Coincidently listening to the radio just now there was a topic on mental help and how your childhood experiences even from very early years can shape who you become as an adult , a very complex subject.
Stay strong
'It's OK to not feel OK' ...
'You're not alone' ...
'You can move forward in the face of your depression' ...
'Help is available' ...
'Your story isn't over'

Managing our mental health on 14:26 - Feb 9 with 2931 viewsFlashberryjack

Managing our mental health on 08:26 - Feb 9 by Boundy

I'm sorry to hear that , good positive mental health is probably more important than having similar physical because when things become too much to bare they can sometimes manifest itself physically .

I suffered a minor breakdown quite a few years ago based on past experiences leading to support from others , I got through it by determination and without the use of antidepressants ( which were making me worse). I totally agree about walking etc in fact anything which increases the endorphin levels in your n brain, mine at the time was and now to a lesser extent was cycling , now with two dogs to walk and the spring to look forward to .

I hate the winter but even that now doesn't seem to have the same impact as it once did .
Coincidently listening to the radio just now there was a topic on mental help and how your childhood experiences even from very early years can shape who you become as an adult , a very complex subject.
Stay strong
'It's OK to not feel OK' ...
'You're not alone' ...
'You can move forward in the face of your depression' ...
'Help is available' ...
'Your story isn't over'

Fortunately, I've never suffered from mental health issues, other than the usual stresses of working a life whilst raising a family, and all that goes with it.

When I did feel the pressure, I thought I needed something to relax and ease any tension I was feeling, so I took up fly fishing, and what a difference that made, fishing on a lovely stretch of river or drifting a lake on a boat, with just you and the wildlife for company was so relaxing, if possible, you should give it a go, I'm sure Lifey will agree with me.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Managing our mental health on 16:57 - Feb 9 with 2897 viewsBoundy

Managing our mental health on 14:26 - Feb 9 by Flashberryjack

Fortunately, I've never suffered from mental health issues, other than the usual stresses of working a life whilst raising a family, and all that goes with it.

When I did feel the pressure, I thought I needed something to relax and ease any tension I was feeling, so I took up fly fishing, and what a difference that made, fishing on a lovely stretch of river or drifting a lake on a boat, with just you and the wildlife for company was so relaxing, if possible, you should give it a go, I'm sure Lifey will agree with me.

I used to love sea fishing but never tried the rivers as I just love being near the sea . I used to go with 3 mates ( another depressing story so sorry in advance ) , we went everywhere at all hours with the the ledges down Rhossili one of my favourite spots . We had a clinker wooden fishing boat for awhile which we dug the moorings opposite Verdis , had all the gear but speaking for myself no idea but just loved the craic . Sadly all 3 have passed away and all young so I've pretty much gave up fishing but continue to visit to any piece of our coast line when I can just to watch the waves and the hear the sounds , There's been some cracking sunsets this week , a photographers dream if you're down Rhossili way .(another hobby of mine )

Managing our mental health on 19:18 - Feb 9 with 2872 viewsSirjohnalot

What a fantastic thread, keep it gong everyone
Managing our mental health on 19:27 - Feb 9 with 2856 viewsKeithHaynes

Managing our mental health on 19:18 - Feb 9 by Sirjohnalot

What a fantastic thread, keep it gong everyone

You would have thought more would contribute though John.

Managing our mental health on 19:31 - Feb 9 with 2847 viewsSirjohnalot

Managing our mental health on 19:27 - Feb 9 by KeithHaynes

Maybe folk are getting more benefit from reading others posts and possibly don’t feel comfortable
Managing our mental health on 19:36 - Feb 9 with 2838 viewsonehunglow

Managing our mental health on 19:27 - Feb 9 by KeithHaynes

For many it’s a very private matter

I’ve had CDI in a big way but I’m still here

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024