Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Brexit-second referendum 10:23 - Feb 9 with 8542 viewsjohnlangy

I'd forgotten all about this until it was brought up again on Facebook. This is a headlining story from the Daily Mirror from 16th May 2016. I'll cut and paste a few lines.
EXCLUSIVE: Nigel Farage wants second referendum if Remain campaign scrapes narrow win
The Ukip leader speaks to the Mirror’s Associate Editor Kevin Maguire and warns that a '52-48 result would be unfinished business'

Nigel Farage warns today he would fight for a second referendum on Britain in Europe if the remain campaign won by a narrow margin next month.

The Ukip leader said a small defeat for his leave camp would be “unfinished business” and predicted pressure would grow for a re-run of the 23 June ballot.

It's easy to forget these things.

This makes the article in the FT a few days ago about the possibility of a second ref in 2026 a perfectly reasonable one especially when all the polls now show that a large majority of people now believe Brexit was a mistake.

And if that majority which is now around the 58/60% level became say 65% or more over the next few years how can it not be a sensible thing to do.
Brexit-second referendum on 10:35 - Feb 9 with 3153 viewsfelixstowe_jack

I think it is a SMALL majority not a large majority who think Brexit was a mistake. We have hardly had any time to see the effects either positive or negative of Brexit given the Global covoid pandemic, the Global supply crisis and the global energy crisis caused by the Russian invasion of Ukraine

We can't keep having referendums every few years because you don't agree with the democratic decisions of the UK votes.

In 1973 we joined the Common Market.
In 1975 we had a referendum which agreed to stay in the Common Market.
In 2016 we had a referendum which voted to leave the EU
In 2020 we left the EU

The time to have a reason debate about rejoining is after 10 years so we can judge if is was a success to regain put sovereignty.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Brexit-second referendum on 11:23 - Feb 9 with 3112 viewsSuperjan

Brexit-second referendum on 10:35 - Feb 9 by felixstowe_jack

I think it is a SMALL majority not a large majority who think Brexit was a mistake. We have hardly had any time to see the effects either positive or negative of Brexit given the Global covoid pandemic, the Global supply crisis and the global energy crisis caused by the Russian invasion of Ukraine

We can't keep having referendums every few years because you don't agree with the democratic decisions of the UK votes.

In 2020 we left the EU

The time to have a reason debate about rejoining is after 10 years so we can judge if is was a success to regain put sovereignty.

You don’t seem to have addressed the comments made by Nigel Farage in the OP , in addition why 10 years ?
Brexit-second referendum on 11:27 - Feb 9 with 3106 viewsGwyn737

Brexit-second referendum on 10:35 - Feb 9 by felixstowe_jack

In 2020 we left the EU

I think that time frame is probably about right.

It's a reasonable amount of time to see how things are going and if the current trajectory is followed, we'll have a far stronger mandate to look at what a closer relationship will look like.
Brexit-second referendum on 11:33 - Feb 9 with 3104 viewsSullutaCreturned

But....but...forage mun, only a racist, xenophobic idiot would put any stock in what he said. You'd have to a fool to agree with him.

Unless it suits an agenda of course.

Brexit was always a longvterm deal, it'll be another 15 years before we know if its better or worse. A lot of that depends on our own government too. Maybe, when Labour win the next GE we'll foster a better relationship and things will improve.
Brexit-second referendum on 11:36 - Feb 9 with 3102 viewsCountyJim

Brexit-second referendum on 11:33 - Feb 9 by SullutaCreturned

But....but...forage mun, only a racist, xenophobic idiot would put any stock in what he said. You'd have to a fool to agree with him.

Unless it suits an agenda of course.

Brexit was always a longvterm deal, it'll be another 15 years before we know if its better or worse. A lot of that depends on our own government too. Maybe, when Labour win the next GE we'll foster a better relationship and things will improve.

I always remember on the night of the results at the start he was getting in excuses that the poll was rigged in some way

Then later it was a great day for democracy 😂😂😂
Brexit-second referendum on 11:51 - Feb 9 with 3099 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

If remain had won narrowly what would be the chances of Farage getting a second referendum if he campaigned for it?

Pretty much zero. A second referendum wouldn’t even be considered if remain had won.

Poll: We all dream of a managerial team of Alan Tates?

Brexit-second referendum on 12:30 - Feb 9 with 3071 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

As a remain voter, I think we should just accept the decision and get on with things. There's a similar argument for revisiting devolution, we will end up in a constant state flux if we keep revisiting recent decisions.

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

Brexit-second referendum on 12:30 - Feb 9 with 3069 viewsGwyn737

Brexit-second referendum on 11:51 - Feb 9 by Joesus_Of_Narbereth

If remain had won narrowly what would be the chances of Farage getting a second referendum if he campaigned for it?

Pretty much zero. A second referendum wouldn’t even be considered if remain had won.

I think you're probably right. The status quo is always simpler to maintain.

Different times now we're gaining more knowledge, ans the swing is only going one way.
Login to get fewer ads

Brexit-second referendum on 12:38 - Feb 9 with 3062 viewskrunchykarrot

Weve had a pandemic, a PM who spaffed his majority and most MP's doing their best to scupper and ignore the democratic vote as they know better. Its a pity they all didnt work as hard to do what we asked.
Brexit-second referendum on 13:10 - Feb 9 with 3045 viewsGwyn737

Brexit-second referendum on 12:38 - Feb 9 by krunchykarrot

Weve had a pandemic, a PM who spaffed his majority and most MP's doing their best to scupper and ignore the democratic vote as they know better. Its a pity they all didnt work as hard to do what we asked.

...or what was promised was undeliverable.
Brexit-second referendum on 13:50 - Feb 9 with 3026 viewsjojaca

You can't shut down the economy for two years and then claim brexit isn't working.

Even when you know, you never know?

Brexit-second referendum on 13:52 - Feb 9 with 3023 viewskrunchykarrot

Brexit-second referendum on 13:10 - Feb 9 by Gwyn737

...or what was promised was undeliverable.

Most of the promises were deliverable, its just the will to carry them out is the issue. The immigrant crisis is a joke, the NHS is just a money pit with out reforms. I personaly have lost all hope in our elected MP's who seem to carry on saying one thing and doing the opposite. I just watched BBC having a go at Lee Anderson about the death penalty, one of the few who will say what he thinks.
Brexit-second referendum on 14:32 - Feb 9 with 3008 viewsFlashberryjack

OP "It's easy to forget these things"
With remainers whinging at every opportunity, forget the referendum, you must be joking.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Brexit-second referendum on 14:48 - Feb 9 with 2997 viewsWhiterockin

It's the modern trend just look at Scotland, have a referendum and if you don't get the result you want have another one.
Brexit-second referendum on 14:51 - Feb 9 with 2988 viewsCountyJim

Brexit-second referendum on 14:32 - Feb 9 by Flashberryjack

OP "It's easy to forget these things"
With remainers whinging at every opportunity, forget the referendum, you must be joking.

I love it when the leavers says the remain voters are moaning just by asking questions

Questions like what's happened to taking back control of our boarders

Questions like what's happened to the money that was promised to the national health service

If that's moaning you're the one with the problem sunshine
Brexit-second referendum on 14:52 - Feb 9 with 2988 viewsjohnlangy

Brexit-second referendum on 14:48 - Feb 9 by Whiterockin

It's the modern trend just look at Scotland, have a referendum and if you don't get the result you want have another one.

Which is precisely what Nigel Farage was advocating. He was saying if I don't get the result I want I will expect another referendum.

Everyone else gets pilloried for suggesting such a thing. Why not NF ?
Brexit-second referendum on 15:11 - Feb 9 with 2964 viewskrunchykarrot

Brexit-second referendum on 14:51 - Feb 9 by CountyJim

I love it when the leavers says the remain voters are moaning just by asking questions

Questions like what's happened to taking back control of our boarders

Questions like what's happened to the money that was promised to the national health service

If that's moaning you're the one with the problem sunshine

Well the Euro courts still have they say in that at the moment, its ridiculous just heard that a local hotel is converting to a immigrant centre in the middle of our town.

As for the NHS just look at the facts, they have had more than was promised and we have ended up with a worse service.

There are still remainers and leavers moaning becauseBrexit is being thwarted by incompetence and lethargy from both sides of the house and beyond.
Brexit-second referendum on 15:47 - Feb 9 with 2952 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Brexit-second referendum on 11:23 - Feb 9 by Superjan

You don’t seem to have addressed the comments made by Nigel Farage in the OP , in addition why 10 years ?

Well as Nigel Farage is not an MP his views are irrelevant.

Why 10 years just seems a sensible timescale

Scottish independence referendum they want one every 5 years.
Wales devolution referendum, it is over 20 years since the last one.

Brexit-second referendum on 15:53 - Feb 9 with 2947 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Brexit-second referendum on 15:11 - Feb 9 by krunchykarrot

Well the Euro courts still have they say in that at the moment, its ridiculous just heard that a local hotel is converting to a immigrant centre in the middle of our town.

As for the NHS just look at the facts, they have had more than was promised and we have ended up with a worse service.

There are still remainers and leavers moaning becauseBrexit is being thwarted by incompetence and lethargy from both sides of the house and beyond.

Trouble is our NHS is still treating foriegn Nationals and illegal immigrants for free.

It is time we insisted that tourist, heath tourist, illegal immigrants and visitors to the UK had heath insurance just like all EU countries and most other countries do.

All forgiegn nationals who have settled status and are in work paying income tax and NI would still continue to have the treatment they have paid for and ate entitled y

Brexit-second referendum on 16:07 - Feb 9 with 2929 viewskrunchykarrot

Brexit-second referendum on 15:53 - Feb 9 by felixstowe_jack

Trouble is our NHS is still treating foriegn Nationals and illegal immigrants for free.

It is time we insisted that tourist, heath tourist, illegal immigrants and visitors to the UK had heath insurance just like all EU countries and most other countries do.

All forgiegn nationals who have settled status and are in work paying income tax and NI would still continue to have the treatment they have paid for and ate entitled y

Couldnt agree more, i was all against ID card but.........
Brexit-second referendum on 16:53 - Feb 9 with 2906 viewsGwyn737

The cost of treating illegal immigrants is a drop in the ocean compared to the costs of an ageing population, broken social care and the lack of mental health support.

We really should concentrate on the big issues.
Brexit-second referendum on 17:01 - Feb 9 with 2905 viewsKilkennyjack

Foreign born people are more likely to be treating you in hospital rather than taking free healthcare.

How is the clandestine channel commander doing by the way …. 🤣🤣🤣 🤡

Refugees are welcome here.
We should take more like Germany and France do.

Beware of the Risen People

Brexit-second referendum on 17:01 - Feb 9 with 2903 viewscontroversial_jack

Brexit-second referendum on 14:48 - Feb 9 by Whiterockin

We need regular ones, After all, a once a lifetime vote isn't very democratic , is it?
Brexit-second referendum on 17:02 - Feb 9 with 2904 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Brexit-second referendum on 16:53 - Feb 9 by Gwyn737

The cost of treating illegal immigrants is a drop in the ocean compared to the costs of an ageing population, broken social care and the lack of mental health support.

We really should concentrate on the big issues.

The NHS treats over foreign nationals at an estimated cost £1.8 billion a year. If this money was collected we could pay our nurses more . Does not seem like a drop in the ocean to me.

Brexit-second referendum on 17:08 - Feb 9 with 2900 viewsGwyn737

Brexit-second referendum on 17:02 - Feb 9 by felixstowe_jack

The NHS treats over foreign nationals at an estimated cost £1.8 billion a year. If this money was collected we could pay our nurses more . Does not seem like a drop in the ocean to me.

I don’t mean to be dismissive about it, it’s just not the biggest issue that needs fixing.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024