Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The 2024 General Election 14:36 - Oct 10 with 12091 viewsjohnlangy

If Labour do win the 2024 General Election they will find themselves in a very strange situation regarding what they are able to achieve, at least in the short term.

People always want big, bold statements regarding huge investments in infrastructure, house building, energy developments to relieve our dependancy on other countries oil/gas and so on.

But I was struck by something Peter Kyle said yesterday. Labour will I’m sure make some major policy announcements but he also said this. Paraphrasing, he said it is shameful but it would be a huge achievement to get to a place where people could get an appointment with their GP, to get their NHS treatment that they’ve been waiting on for X years or to get a dental appointment.

He could have also said it would be an amazing achievement if, when people are mugged or their house is burgled that the police would turn up to investigate.

It’s a dreadful situation for the country to be in that the basic pillars of a civilised society aren’t there any more.

I’ve mentioned health but then there’s education (how many thousands of teachers are needed to fill all the vacancies which means our children’s education is suffering ?). And policing (see above) – the service is 20,000 officers short. No wonder the streets are becoming lawless. Then there’s the Prison Service and the CPS. It is all an utter shambles.

As far as I can see it all of this is down to one thing and that’s the austerity that the Conservatives have imposed on the country since 2010. They cut back massively in all departments in order to ‘bring the countries enormous debt down’. They asked that people accept the need for this pain and go along with it and that there was no other way to achieve the goal.

And after the pain of all that austerity where are we now ? In 2010 the debt was less than £1 trillion. It is now £2.6 trillion.

If they have cut back so enormously on spending, which by extension means that they were also able to cut back on borrowing, could someone explain to me where all this debt has come from ?
The 2024 General Election on 14:54 - Oct 10 with 4805 viewsWhiterockin

I think Labour will find that when elected the party in Government are always criticised. All they have to do is look at their friends in the Senedd, it's the way the world rolls.
The 2024 General Election on 15:03 - Oct 10 with 4790 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

https://www.economicshelp.org/blog/163755/economics/historical-uk-national-debt/

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

The 2024 General Election on 15:13 - Oct 10 with 4768 viewsFireboy2

The tories had an agenda in 2010 to tip the balance back towards the rich and they haven't failed.

They disgust me.
The 2024 General Election on 16:41 - Oct 10 with 4731 viewsonehunglow

The 2024 General Election on 15:13 - Oct 10 by Fireboy2

The tories had an agenda in 2010 to tip the balance back towards the rich and they haven't failed.

They disgust me.

I cannot ever in my lifetime remember any government that has not put its party , party members, trades unions first
They turn my stomach

Now privately educated Bloke with old Labour name WILL take over and will continue to keep this country divided

We need
A new monarchy
New Unions
End class hatred both ways
And
Free the chips on shoulders on one side and the insouciance of the other

It all disgusts me

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

The 2024 General Election on 16:44 - Oct 10 with 4728 viewsFlashberryjack

They'll do what they always do, blame the conservatives.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

The 2024 General Election on 17:13 - Oct 10 with 4636 viewstrampie

Little difference between Labour and the Tories, Labour under Starmer are right wing, we need a hung Parliament with Plaid holding the balance of power with Liz Saville Roberts making the key decisions.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

The 2024 General Election on 17:24 - Oct 10 with 4682 viewsWhiterockin

The 2024 General Election on 17:13 - Oct 10 by trampie

Little difference between Labour and the Tories, Labour under Starmer are right wing, we need a hung Parliament with Plaid holding the balance of power with Liz Saville Roberts making the key decisions.

If there is a hung parliament, which is unlikely, it will be the Lib Dems holding the balance. The SNP are a busted flush as is independence for Scotland. Plaid don't even register on the Westminster scale.
The 2024 General Election on 17:27 - Oct 10 with 4598 viewstrampie

The 2024 General Election on 17:24 - Oct 10 by Whiterockin

If there is a hung parliament, which is unlikely, it will be the Lib Dems holding the balance. The SNP are a busted flush as is independence for Scotland. Plaid don't even register on the Westminster scale.

I said what 'we need', not what is likely.
[Post edited 10 Oct 2023 17:28]

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.

Login to get fewer ads

The 2024 General Election on 17:31 - Oct 10 with 4645 viewsWhiterockin

The 2024 General Election on 17:27 - Oct 10 by trampie

I said what 'we need', not what is likely.
[Post edited 10 Oct 2023 17:28]

Plaid don't even do the best for Wales when they side with Labour in the Senedd. So no its not what we need.
The 2024 General Election on 17:41 - Oct 10 with 4567 viewstrampie

The 2024 General Election on 17:31 - Oct 10 by Whiterockin

Plaid don't even do the best for Wales when they side with Labour in the Senedd. So no its not what we need.

What do you think we need ?

The 2024 General Election on 17:46 - Oct 10 with 4552 viewstrampie

Starter attacked (perhaps not attacked, confronted, accosted, jostled, whatever) today at the Labour conference by a person representing a group I had not heard of 'People Demand Democracy', one thing they said on their statement that seemed to ring true to me was "“The Labour Party has been captured, donors and lobbyists have more control over Keir Starmer than his members".

The 2024 General Election on 17:49 - Oct 10 with 4602 viewsonehunglow

The 2024 General Election on 17:31 - Oct 10 by Whiterockin

Plaid are an irrelevance for all. wales outside the north west and buts of Cardiganshire .
SWP are now a busted flush.
And to think these clowns believe independence is coming
It ain’t and it won’t

The 2024 General Election on 17:51 - Oct 10 with 4601 viewsjohnlangy

The 2024 General Election on 16:44 - Oct 10 by Flashberryjack

They'll do what they always do, blame the conservatives.

Of course they will. Because it is their fault. Anything that's gone wrong over the last thirteen years that is within the control of the UK government is the fault of the UK government. Which is the conservatives.

Just as it would have been Labour's fault between 1997 and 2010.
The 2024 General Election on 18:17 - Oct 10 with 4593 viewsWhiterockin

The 2024 General Election on 17:41 - Oct 10 by trampie

What do you think we need ?

Senedd or Westminster.

Senedd we need a government that works for all of Wales not just South East. Increasing the number of members and removing the voters right to vote for individuals instead of a party is just undemocratic. A Senedd full of independents would be my preferred choice, making decisions for the people who put them there, instead of members following the party line and dictatorship.

Westminster. Abolish the House of Lords and bring in proportional representation. There is a lot wrong with Westminster but there is also a lot they do right. The UK, although there is many core principles that apply across the country, Health, Education, Social Care ect the diverse nature of the country means a voter in central London has different priorities to someone living in a village in Powys, Yorkshire, Cornwall or Ayrshire. They are not interested in how long it takes to get from London to Birmingham on a train. Money needs to be spent on the core needs for people to be safe, healthy and well educated not on vanity products. To be able to afford this we need businesses to be successful and reinvest. Taxing the successful and better off to the point where they go abroad is not the answer, there has to be a balance, sadly I don't think the Conservatives or Labour can provide this, to mention Plaid in the same conversation is nieve at best.
The 2024 General Election on 18:22 - Oct 10 with 4517 viewstrampie

The 2024 General Election on 18:17 - Oct 10 by Whiterockin

Senedd or Westminster.

Senedd we need a government that works for all of Wales not just South East. Increasing the number of members and removing the voters right to vote for individuals instead of a party is just undemocratic. A Senedd full of independents would be my preferred choice, making decisions for the people who put them there, instead of members following the party line and dictatorship.

Westminster. Abolish the House of Lords and bring in proportional representation. There is a lot wrong with Westminster but there is also a lot they do right. The UK, although there is many core principles that apply across the country, Health, Education, Social Care ect the diverse nature of the country means a voter in central London has different priorities to someone living in a village in Powys, Yorkshire, Cornwall or Ayrshire. They are not interested in how long it takes to get from London to Birmingham on a train. Money needs to be spent on the core needs for people to be safe, healthy and well educated not on vanity products. To be able to afford this we need businesses to be successful and reinvest. Taxing the successful and better off to the point where they go abroad is not the answer, there has to be a balance, sadly I don't think the Conservatives or Labour can provide this, to mention Plaid in the same conversation is nieve at best.

I gave up after the first sentence, what a load of hot air, who are you going to vote for in the next generation election ?

The 2024 General Election on 18:43 - Oct 10 with 4572 viewsWhiterockin

The 2024 General Election on 18:22 - Oct 10 by trampie

I gave up after the first sentence, what a load of hot air, who are you going to vote for in the next generation election ?

As it stands today probably Lib Dem Westminster and the candidate most likely to get in instead of Labour in the Senedd. This could change depending on how the new Senedd voting rules pan out and if an independent stands any chance. A manifesto could also influence me but they are normally so vague that they can be interpreted differently when elected. Believe it or not 12 months ago I was thinking of voting Plaid if it wasn't for independence. But now a vote for Plaid is a vote for Drakeford presently.
The 2024 General Election on 18:49 - Oct 10 with 4498 viewstrampie

The 2024 General Election on 18:43 - Oct 10 by Whiterockin

As it stands today probably Lib Dem Westminster and the candidate most likely to get in instead of Labour in the Senedd. This could change depending on how the new Senedd voting rules pan out and if an independent stands any chance. A manifesto could also influence me but they are normally so vague that they can be interpreted differently when elected. Believe it or not 12 months ago I was thinking of voting Plaid if it wasn't for independence. But now a vote for Plaid is a vote for Drakeford presently.

The Lib Dems are a complete joke, have they any chance in your constituency or are they irrelevant and therefore a wasted vote ?

The 2024 General Election on 18:56 - Oct 10 with 4550 viewsraynor94

The 2024 General Election on 17:13 - Oct 10 by trampie

😂😂Plaid? They can't even win more seats than the Tories at the assembly.

A busted flush who are no good to man or beast.

Where's Adam Price and your darling these days?

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

The 2024 General Election on 19:03 - Oct 10 with 4473 viewstrampie

The 2024 General Election on 18:56 - Oct 10 by raynor94

😂😂Plaid? They can't even win more seats than the Tories at the assembly.

A busted flush who are no good to man or beast.

Where's Adam Price and your darling these days?

Not sure if Plaid have ever been a flush to be busted. Who are you voting for in the next General Election Raynor ?

The 2024 General Election on 19:24 - Oct 10 with 4530 viewsraynor94

The 2024 General Election on 19:03 - Oct 10 by trampie

Not sure if Plaid have ever been a flush to be busted. Who are you voting for in the next General Election Raynor ?

Would normally be Labour, but after what Drakeford has done to Wales, and Geraint Davies is my local MP.

It's a real quandry now.

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

The 2024 General Election on 19:43 - Oct 10 with 4445 viewstrampie

The 2024 General Election on 19:24 - Oct 10 by raynor94

Would normally be Labour, but after what Drakeford has done to Wales, and Geraint Davies is my local MP.

It's a real quandry now.

You was voting for the guy who at one time had the highest expenses bill of any MP in Parliament and then went on to be suspended over sexual harassment claims.
No wonder we are struggling if people like you are voting for people like that.

The 2024 General Election on 20:31 - Oct 10 with 4480 viewsSullutaCreturned

In the GE I am decided at the moment but in the Senedd I will never vote Labour or Tory.

We need rid of the blue b'stards for sure though.

Starmer needs to start winning people over, the tories surely cannot harm themselves anymore, Starmer needs to step up and stop being so wishy washy.

I saw Rayner on Tv earlier, she still sounds like a gobshite, she puts me off labour if anything.
The 2024 General Election on 21:33 - Oct 10 with 4424 viewsbuilthjack

Open your eyes people. 13 years of Tories in Westminster.
They have trebled the National debt, whilst taking 20,000 police off the streets, far less Drs and nurses, you can’t get to a dentist anywhere, schools are run down and falling apart.
All the basics that once made this country good not long ago.
If you want more of it vote for Slimey Sunak and his gang, but don’t moan after.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

The 2024 General Election on 22:03 - Oct 10 with 4413 viewsonehunglow

The 2024 General Election on 20:31 - Oct 10 by SullutaCreturned

In the GE I am decided at the moment but in the Senedd I will never vote Labour or Tory.

We need rid of the blue b'stards for sure though.

Starmer needs to start winning people over, the tories surely cannot harm themselves anymore, Starmer needs to step up and stop being so wishy washy.

I saw Rayner on Tv earlier, she still sounds like a gobshite, she puts me off labour if anything.

The very fact Rayner will @ niece cabinet office damns us all.
One has to be careful on these forums,which is just as well .

The 2024 General Election on 22:04 - Oct 10 with 4412 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

At this point I feel it’s all so pointless I’ll probably end up just drawing a giant vagina on my ballot paper or something.

Poll: We all dream of a managerial team of Alan Tates?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024