Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How do you rate Michael Duff so far ? 14:13 - Oct 22 with 8492 viewsKeithHaynes

How do you rate Michael Duff so far ?

Your Vote:

You need to be logged in to vote on our site polls

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

How do you rate Michael Duff so far ? on 21:32 - Oct 25 with 1289 viewsKeithHaynes

How do you rate Michael Duff so far ? on 21:18 - Oct 25 by sw02sea

I’ve more or less watched all the games under Duff’s tenure, so you are bound to get a flavour of the man, and the way he wants The Swans to play.
The jury is out as far as I’m concerned, with too many long balls, from the back, and midfield, with no discernible passing game being implemented on a regular basis.
It all seems to be a mishmash of various ideas, rather than a well thought out game plan.
If it was a high press up the field, forcing the opposition into mistakes, you could see a man with a plan, but when we try to do this, teams exploit the space left behind, allowing a counterattack of their own.
I’ve lost count the number of times opposition players are left in acres a space near our penalty area, and Lady Luck has helped us out by their poor finishing.
I know Leicester is a bad example to pick, because they are more or less a Premiership side, but they had loads of chances in the first half, and could have been 4 or 5 up, (even though we scored first)
Our luck is eventually going to run out, and with our current injury crisis, if it does, we could be in trouble.

The injuries are definitely the issue. If the squad was totally fit I’m certain we would be far higher.

How do you rate Michael Duff so far ? on 21:39 - Oct 25 with 1256 viewsDr_Winston

How do you rate Michael Duff so far ? on 21:32 - Oct 25 by KeithHaynes

The injuries are definitely the issue. If the squad was totally fit I’m certain we would be far higher.

Yep.

Seems obvious that Duff's plans have been disrupted by injuries and departures. Ntcham featured heavily in pre-season and would no doubt have played a major role if he hadn't moved away. Likewise Ginelly's injury has hurt us.

For what it's worth I'd expect us to be mostly trying to be as competitive as possible until January then look to fill the gaps if needed. If players can stay fit then maybe not much activity will be required. If not then we might do a fair bit of business.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

How do you rate Michael Duff so far ? on 21:50 - Oct 25 with 1232 viewsjack247

How do you rate Michael Duff so far ? on 21:18 - Oct 25 by sw02sea

I’ve more or less watched all the games under Duff’s tenure, so you are bound to get a flavour of the man, and the way he wants The Swans to play.
The jury is out as far as I’m concerned, with too many long balls, from the back, and midfield, with no discernible passing game being implemented on a regular basis.
It all seems to be a mishmash of various ideas, rather than a well thought out game plan.
If it was a high press up the field, forcing the opposition into mistakes, you could see a man with a plan, but when we try to do this, teams exploit the space left behind, allowing a counterattack of their own.
I’ve lost count the number of times opposition players are left in acres a space near our penalty area, and Lady Luck has helped us out by their poor finishing.
I know Leicester is a bad example to pick, because they are more or less a Premiership side, but they had loads of chances in the first half, and could have been 4 or 5 up, (even though we scored first)
Our luck is eventually going to run out, and with our current injury crisis, if it does, we could be in trouble.

I think he saw how easily our attacking midfield of Grimes, Patino and Paterson got played through by Leicester and decided to firm it up with Fulton. The result being we looked far less threatening and it was a kind of mashup of the way we played up to and since the Cardiff game.

Too many long balls that people will argue aren’t ‘aimless’ as they hit Yates, but they are pretty pointless in all senses apart from clearing danger and buying a few seconds to reset. He’s not a holdup man and doesn't usually have support around him.

I wasn’t too bothered by the Leicester game. Yes they could have been out of sight by half time, but they have much better players than most teams. The feeling I got last night was Duff was a bit spooked by it and reacted by trying to play more conservatively. Watford were very beatable.
How do you rate Michael Duff so far ? on 22:16 - Oct 25 with 1191 viewsbuilthjack

How do you rate Michael Duff so far ? on 21:50 - Oct 25 by jack247

I think he saw how easily our attacking midfield of Grimes, Patino and Paterson got played through by Leicester and decided to firm it up with Fulton. The result being we looked far less threatening and it was a kind of mashup of the way we played up to and since the Cardiff game.

Too many long balls that people will argue aren’t ‘aimless’ as they hit Yates, but they are pretty pointless in all senses apart from clearing danger and buying a few seconds to reset. He’s not a holdup man and doesn't usually have support around him.

I wasn’t too bothered by the Leicester game. Yes they could have been out of sight by half time, but they have much better players than most teams. The feeling I got last night was Duff was a bit spooked by it and reacted by trying to play more conservatively. Watford were very beatable.

Fulton has been here 10 years. Some seem to have seen good in him.
I have yet to see it.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

How do you rate Michael Duff so far ? on 23:37 - Oct 25 with 1163 viewsKeithHaynes

How do you rate Michael Duff so far ? on 22:16 - Oct 25 by builthjack

Fulton has been here 10 years. Some seem to have seen good in him.
I have yet to see it.

I thought he played his best football under Cooper who loved him. Getting forwards and scoring goals. Not many, but they were his best times.

How do you rate Michael Duff so far ? on 06:31 - Oct 26 with 1120 viewsRichardO

How do you rate Michael Duff so far ? on 23:37 - Oct 25 by KeithHaynes

I thought he played his best football under Cooper who loved him. Getting forwards and scoring goals. Not many, but they were his best times.

Fulton was always fairly good, after learning to get closer to the player he was suppose to be marking so not diving in recklessly, at breaking up play and pushing forward driving on out from the back with one touch, pass and go football, you don't really want to s ee him spending too much time with the ball to his feet. Before Fulton came on against Sheffield Wednesday old head Bannan didn't do a lot of hunting down of players but did with Fulton to some success with Fulton getting caught with the ball at his feet.

Why didn't Duff play Patino? Was in to give the youngster a rest because against Leicester between him and Darling they struggled at some elements of their defensive game and Duff didn't want to have Patino have the same experience as Ashby's nightmare one game too far?

As for Ashby, who played defensively well he seemed reluctant to just push up a little further up the pitch to offer Darling an outlet, although Darling seemed also reluctant to use him meaning the change of play across the pitch was too slow, having Fulton and Grimes in the middle didn't work too bad defensively and ok going forward with the original back four although at times it was just too slow.

When we changed to 3 at the back to try and push the full backs forward the old problem of dropping deep in the middle of the park reared it's head with Grimes coming alongside the centreback to take the ball off them for a ball they could play themselves and even Fulton coming back to similarly to pass to Grime who by now was alongside him, leaving a gulf between the the forwards and the backs, a throwback to both things we saw under both Martin and Cooper, leaving us under pressure which allowed Watford back into the game compounded by Ashby's injury with us going back to a back four with Grimes and Fulton still sitting alongside them.

The question of when should we be attacking the ball in the air in the midfield or bringing the ball down under control which would lead to quicker and more precise attacking.

We made some nice openings around the park on Tuesday but didn't take the right choices not trusting ourselves and reverting to the safer backward pass was that because of the injury enforced changes in the team compounded by with ones that were not?
[Post edited 26 Oct 2023 9:22]
How do you rate Michael Duff so far ? on 15:53 - Oct 26 with 1025 viewsTreforys_Jack

Jay is a very decent squad player, he seems a total professional, but please don't play him with Grimes, it weakens both of them and more importantly the team. He has been extremely fortunate to have had nearly 10yrs with us including 3 in the PL, but that's not his doing, he just signs the contracts that are offered to him. He seems a nice guy as well tbf.
How do you rate Michael Duff so far ? on 18:05 - Oct 26 with 987 viewsjack247

How do you rate Michael Duff so far ? on 15:53 - Oct 26 by Treforys_Jack

Jay is a very decent squad player, he seems a total professional, but please don't play him with Grimes, it weakens both of them and more importantly the team. He has been extremely fortunate to have had nearly 10yrs with us including 3 in the PL, but that's not his doing, he just signs the contracts that are offered to him. He seems a nice guy as well tbf.

I’d agree Grimes looks a lot better alongside Patino. Even though Patino drifts in and out of games, we look more fluid and threatening as a midfield. It does leave us exposed to the better teams just playing through our midfield like Leicester did, but we need to strike a balance between protecting the back four and creating attacks ourselves. There was very little of that Tuesday.
Login to get fewer ads

How do you rate Michael Duff so far ? on 19:33 - Oct 26 with 959 viewsRichardO

How do you rate Michael Duff so far ? on 18:05 - Oct 26 by jack247

I’d agree Grimes looks a lot better alongside Patino. Even though Patino drifts in and out of games, we look more fluid and threatening as a midfield. It does leave us exposed to the better teams just playing through our midfield like Leicester did, but we need to strike a balance between protecting the back four and creating attacks ourselves. There was very little of that Tuesday.

Patino is still learning had issues against Leicester but some would say we stifled ourselves by not pressing their defence.
Against Watford even with a more defensive line up we looked a lot slow getting the ball up the park at times rally think we should have been getting better serve to our forward line
How do you rate Michael Duff so far ? on 20:09 - Oct 26 with 940 viewsKeithHaynes

How do you rate Michael Duff so far ? on 06:31 - Oct 26 by RichardO

Fulton was always fairly good, after learning to get closer to the player he was suppose to be marking so not diving in recklessly, at breaking up play and pushing forward driving on out from the back with one touch, pass and go football, you don't really want to s ee him spending too much time with the ball to his feet. Before Fulton came on against Sheffield Wednesday old head Bannan didn't do a lot of hunting down of players but did with Fulton to some success with Fulton getting caught with the ball at his feet.

Why didn't Duff play Patino? Was in to give the youngster a rest because against Leicester between him and Darling they struggled at some elements of their defensive game and Duff didn't want to have Patino have the same experience as Ashby's nightmare one game too far?

As for Ashby, who played defensively well he seemed reluctant to just push up a little further up the pitch to offer Darling an outlet, although Darling seemed also reluctant to use him meaning the change of play across the pitch was too slow, having Fulton and Grimes in the middle didn't work too bad defensively and ok going forward with the original back four although at times it was just too slow.

When we changed to 3 at the back to try and push the full backs forward the old problem of dropping deep in the middle of the park reared it's head with Grimes coming alongside the centreback to take the ball off them for a ball they could play themselves and even Fulton coming back to similarly to pass to Grime who by now was alongside him, leaving a gulf between the the forwards and the backs, a throwback to both things we saw under both Martin and Cooper, leaving us under pressure which allowed Watford back into the game compounded by Ashby's injury with us going back to a back four with Grimes and Fulton still sitting alongside them.

The question of when should we be attacking the ball in the air in the midfield or bringing the ball down under control which would lead to quicker and more precise attacking.

We made some nice openings around the park on Tuesday but didn't take the right choices not trusting ourselves and reverting to the safer backward pass was that because of the injury enforced changes in the team compounded by with ones that were not?
[Post edited 26 Oct 2023 9:22]

Patino was most certainly rested. But if he was 100% you would have thought he would have brought him on.

How do you rate Michael Duff so far ? on 22:06 - Oct 26 with 894 viewsjack247

How do you rate Michael Duff so far ? on 19:33 - Oct 26 by RichardO

Patino is still learning had issues against Leicester but some would say we stifled ourselves by not pressing their defence.
Against Watford even with a more defensive line up we looked a lot slow getting the ball up the park at times rally think we should have been getting better serve to our forward line

Completely agree
How do you rate Michael Duff so far ? on 22:41 - Oct 26 with 870 viewsKeithHaynes

115 votes polled.
111 genuine.

60% think he’s doing a very good job.

Any more ?

How do you rate Michael Duff so far ? on 14:10 - Oct 27 with 800 viewsEagleEye

How do you rate Michael Duff so far ? on 22:41 - Oct 26 by KeithHaynes

115 votes polled.
111 genuine.

60% think he’s doing a very good job.

Any more ?

4 wins from 13 league matches
3 places above relegation zone
19th position in the league

Truly astonished that 60% think that he is doing a “very good” job.

How low have we set the bar ? Not even mid table mediocrity - dour football, poor defending, no pace. It’s no coincidence that we have so many injuries either - when teams are playing well it’s rare to see as many injuries
How do you rate Michael Duff so far ? on 14:33 - Oct 27 with 781 viewsWhiterockin

How do you rate Michael Duff so far ? on 14:10 - Oct 27 by EagleEye

How low have we set the bar ? Not even mid table mediocrity - dour football, poor defending, no pace. It’s no coincidence that we have so many injuries either - when teams are playing well it’s rare to see as many injuries

Yet still only 5 points off a play off place.

Poll: As things stand are you going to vote in the General Election

How do you rate Michael Duff so far ? on 16:36 - Oct 27 with 735 viewsonehunglow

How do you rate Michael Duff so far ? on 14:33 - Oct 27 by Whiterockin

Yet still only 5 points off a play off place.

and with three tough games coming up.
That red piece of th3 pie will shrink

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

How do you rate Michael Duff so far ? on 16:57 - Oct 27 with 726 viewsKeithHaynes

You have to agree with this surely ?

How do you rate Michael Duff so far ? on 17:43 - Oct 27 with 715 viewsjack247

I think these results would be very different if our points/wins were evened out over the season so far.

It just came at a time when we’d won four in a row and many of us felt were playing our best football since Potter. The Leicester game was what it was, but there was a noticeable slip in standards against Watford.
How do you rate Michael Duff so far ? on 17:49 - Oct 27 with 713 viewsFireboy2

How do you rate Michael Duff so far ? on 17:43 - Oct 27 by jack247

I think these results would be very different if our points/wins were evened out over the season so far.

It just came at a time when we’d won four in a row and many of us felt were playing our best football since Potter. The Leicester game was what it was, but there was a noticeable slip in standards against Watford.

The slip up was caused by our efforts against leicester, a 3 day turn around and having a few injuries.

Hopefully a few back tomorrow and starting with patino instead of fulton will get us going forward better and first points I've seen us get at ewood park.
How do you rate Michael Duff so far ? on 17:57 - Oct 27 with 707 viewsjack247

How do you rate Michael Duff so far ? on 17:49 - Oct 27 by Fireboy2

The slip up was caused by our efforts against leicester, a 3 day turn around and having a few injuries.

Hopefully a few back tomorrow and starting with patino instead of fulton will get us going forward better and first points I've seen us get at ewood park.

He’s a smart man. I think he will have learned from Tuesday.
How do you rate Michael Duff so far ? on 18:07 - Oct 27 with 703 viewsRichardO

How do you rate Michael Duff so far ? on 17:43 - Oct 27 by jack247

Over reaction to the Leicester game maybe, Martin team went backward after losing heavily in last years first game against Burnley last year the second Burnley game we competed well up to a point.
We lost a number of defenders from last year and then deep into the transfer window we lost two of some of our best players while bringing some much needed defenders and some strikers most with very little Championship experience just like the manager. He has also lost numerous players to injuries.
So asked is he doing a very good job I"d say no but if asked has he done a good job then I'd say yes given all the players ins, outs and injuries.
How do you rate Michael Duff so far ? on 18:47 - Oct 27 with 687 viewsFireboy2

How do you rate Michael Duff so far ? on 17:57 - Oct 27 by jack247

He’s a smart man. I think he will have learned from Tuesday.

I hope so 🙏
How do you rate Michael Duff so far ? on 19:46 - Oct 27 with 662 viewsunion_jack

Not a particularly happy hunting ground iirc. Would be nice to get back on track tomorrow and start on the right foot going forward!

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

How do you rate Michael Duff so far ? on 19:51 - Oct 27 with 663 viewsEagleEye

Would hope that if he’s fit Patino will play, certainly in front of Fulton. We have sent many much stronger squads to Blackburn over the years only to come back with sweet fa. Not a happy hunting ground for us
How do you rate Michael Duff so far ? on 19:53 - Oct 27 with 662 viewsEagleEye

How do you rate Michael Duff so far ? on 16:57 - Oct 27 by KeithHaynes

You have to agree with this surely ?

Not disputing the figures, just gobsmacked to put it mildly !!
How do you rate Michael Duff so far ? on 20:02 - Oct 27 with 651 viewsWhiterockin

How do you rate Michael Duff so far ? on 19:53 - Oct 27 by EagleEye

Not disputing the figures, just gobsmacked to put it mildly !!

Gobsmacked that people don't agree with you?

Poll: As things stand are you going to vote in the General Election

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024