Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Places and things you miss from Swansea past? 11:52 - Nov 5 with 3069 views1983

Obviously the Vetch Field and everything that went with it..the north bank, pubs, mates etc
Weaver Building
Mumbles road bridge
Open top bus to Caswell Beach
Pub Disco's
Cockle man in the pubs selling cockles & crab sticks
The Sporting Post
[Post edited 5 Nov 2023 12:07]

Places and things you miss from Swansea past? on 12:20 - Nov 5 with 2433 viewsSullutaCreturned

The Vetch and the sporting post yes. Otherwise it's not really places and things I miss but the people who were the reason I went to those places, like the White Rose in Mumbles, I can go back there but with the people I use to meet there not being there, it's pointless.
Places and things you miss from Swansea past? on 13:36 - Nov 5 with 2356 viewsonehunglow

The Rank
Memories

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Places and things you miss from Swansea past? on 13:42 - Nov 5 with 2373 viewsjack247

Places and things you miss from Swansea past? on 13:36 - Nov 5 by onehunglow

The Rank
Memories

Similar theme….the Kingsway as a whole before Wind St took over.
Places and things you miss from Swansea past? on 13:52 - Nov 5 with 2350 viewsonehunglow

Places and things you miss from Swansea past? on 13:42 - Nov 5 by jack247

Similar theme….the Kingsway as a whole before Wind St took over.

I had great times on Kingsway
Very vivid
Last time I was in Swansea I become pretty upset and emotional at the Old Girl
The place buzzed even though the football was crap
The memories of All Whitrs v touring teams and Glammy beating Australia at St Helens remain with me always will

Places and things you miss from Swansea past? on 13:55 - Nov 5 with 2367 viewsjack247

Places and things you miss from Swansea past? on 13:52 - Nov 5 by onehunglow

I had great times on Kingsway
Very vivid
Last time I was in Swansea I become pretty upset and emotional at the Old Girl
The place buzzed even though the football was crap
The memories of All Whitrs v touring teams and Glammy beating Australia at St Helens remain with me always will

The Sandfields on match days. Pubs packed out even though we had much smaller crowds. I probably didn’t appreciate that until it was gone.
Places and things you miss from Swansea past? on 13:58 - Nov 5 with 2360 viewsbuilthjack

Cockle man was a bricky by day, and a cockle seller on a Friday and Saturday night.
Bald head, moustache. Cant think of his name.
[Post edited 5 Nov 2023 13:59]

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Places and things you miss from Swansea past? on 14:11 - Nov 5 with 2326 viewsonehunglow

Places and things you miss from Swansea past? on 13:55 - Nov 5 by jack247

The Sandfields on match days. Pubs packed out even though we had much smaller crowds. I probably didn’t appreciate that until it was gone.

My Nan lived in Fleet St
Special days

Places and things you miss from Swansea past? on 14:32 - Nov 5 with 2335 viewsWhiterockin

Sand on the beaches. When I was young I spent most of my days at Bracelet/Langland/Caswell bays, there were very few rocks just glorious soft sand.
Login to get fewer ads

Places and things you miss from Swansea past? on 15:08 - Nov 5 with 2313 viewsWingstandwood

Virgin Records shop and the excitment/joy of walking into the HMV store in the Quadrant and seeing row upon row of vinyl 12 inch LP's.

Argus!

Places and things you miss from Swansea past? on 16:10 - Nov 5 with 2254 viewscontroversial_jack

Studio 95
Places and things you miss from Swansea past? on 16:13 - Nov 5 with 2254 viewsKeithHaynes

The Coach house.
Great bands, small cellar venue.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Places and things you miss from Swansea past? on 16:17 - Nov 5 with 2246 viewshowenjack

The big Apple Mumbles . It s always shut never open now.
Places and things you miss from Swansea past? on 18:03 - Nov 5 with 2197 viewsDr_Winston

They should have replaced the Slip Bridge by now.

Otherwise I can't think of anything else that was in Swansea during my youth that hasn't been replaced by something better, and that includes The Vetch.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Places and things you miss from Swansea past? on 18:04 - Nov 5 with 2198 views1983

Waiting for my Dad with my Mam on Peniel Green roundabout he worked in BP LLandarcy and buses would drop them off there and only later realising why he never came to the beach...etc with us because he was always working overtime to keep us warm with a roof over our heads!
Building the Quadrant and then going in so cool.
The wooden pull swings on Swansea Bay
When the City looked smart and the council took pride in it Castle Gardens, the flowered clock near the guildhall and when public parks were parks full of people with kids and not dig sh1t and needles
Building bonfires (we had no money for fireworks) for weeks and another gang pulling it down, penny for the guy in the pubs.
Walking everywhere and buying chips rather than bus fare.
[Post edited 5 Nov 2023 18:08]

Places and things you miss from Swansea past? on 18:06 - Nov 5 with 2182 views1983

Places and things you miss from Swansea past? on 13:58 - Nov 5 by builthjack

Cockle man was a bricky by day, and a cockle seller on a Friday and Saturday night.
Bald head, moustache. Cant think of his name.
[Post edited 5 Nov 2023 13:59]

That was the fella

Places and things you miss from Swansea past? on 18:25 - Nov 5 with 2155 viewsRobbie

Cricket at St. Helens .

As mentioned earlier , The Kingsway , from The Griffin bar to The Prince of Wales .
Places and things you miss from Swansea past? on 18:47 - Nov 5 with 2125 viewsmax936

Eynons, Thayers Ice Cream Parlour in the Market and the smaller outlet in the Uplands, The Paxton on Match Days

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Places and things you miss from Swansea past? on 18:48 - Nov 5 with 2110 viewsonehunglow

Places and things you miss from Swansea past? on 18:47 - Nov 5 by max936

Eynons, Thayers Ice Cream Parlour in the Market and the smaller outlet in the Uplands, The Paxton on Match Days

Eynons too.
We were forced fed their lies as a treat .
All these are personal memories

Places and things you miss from Swansea past? on 20:20 - Nov 5 with 2085 viewsunion_jack

Places and things you miss from Swansea past? on 18:48 - Nov 5 by onehunglow

Eynons too.
We were forced fed their lies as a treat .
All these are personal memories

I take it you mean ‘pies’ rather than the fact they said it was beef in the pie but in fact it was horse😂

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Places and things you miss from Swansea past? on 21:23 - Nov 5 with 2023 viewsAnotherJohn

Places and things you miss from Swansea past? on 16:13 - Nov 5 by KeithHaynes

The Coach house.
Great bands, small cellar venue.

Trembling Knees? The SSA Bar in the Mond Buildings also had its moments, if you could get in,
[Post edited 5 Nov 2023 21:33]
Places and things you miss from Swansea past? on 23:59 - Nov 5 with 1960 viewsRobbie

Places and things you miss from Swansea past? on 21:23 - Nov 5 by AnotherJohn

Trembling Knees? The SSA Bar in the Mond Buildings also had its moments, if you could get in,
[Post edited 5 Nov 2023 21:33]

Remember the Mond / INCO factory had a massive Concert Hall , closed down now .
Lived in Clydach many years , venue was never advertised as a music venue though .

Across the road , a building called then The Legion , changed name to a pub/club place .
So many change of ownership and titles , I lost track , flats now .

A band were booked to play that gig one night , mid 80s , big coach and touring following .
Local gossip was ban them from performing in our area , not wanted here .

Think of Mrs Cradocks first name , that is what they were called .
The show sold out in days , I missed it , they never came back to revisit Clydach .
Places and things you miss from Swansea past? on 09:13 - Nov 6 with 1880 viewsmangohilljack

Places and things you miss from Swansea past? on 18:25 - Nov 5 by Robbie

Cricket at St. Helens .

As mentioned earlier , The Kingsway , from The Griffin bar to The Prince of Wales .

Yes Natwest trophy, great days out
Places and things you miss from Swansea past? on 10:05 - Nov 6 with 1858 viewsTogg

I tend to miss times more than places. However I'm more than happy getting older and thankfully being healthy. On saying that I do miss a night out in Bonkers. Young, good looking, no money but no real worries either.
Places and things you miss from Swansea past? on 18:26 - Nov 6 with 1802 views1983

Places and things you miss from Swansea past? on 10:05 - Nov 6 by Togg

I tend to miss times more than places. However I'm more than happy getting older and thankfully being healthy. On saying that I do miss a night out in Bonkers. Young, good looking, no money but no real worries either.

Strange I'm the same as you then in my late teens early 20's we were always skint, no proper job all but sofa surfing telling our parents we were going "out" and go missing for days getting up to all sorts.Some brilliant laughs and experiences on a Swansea away game once I ended up staying in Leeds for about 2 weeks with a bird I met. Then bunked a train back to London and then London back to the land of the daft. I watched as 6 of my good mates got married in the early 90's because that's what happened them going off to B&Q and me going off taking E's dancing in a field near Swindon. They are now all divorced what a waste of your early life that was if the Internet was about 10 years earlier I would have 100% gone off travelling.
Great days though having to actually save money in your bedroom draw and stay in so you could go on an away trip or a boys holiday now fast forward 30yrs I'm financially comfortable now,mortgage paid off, I don't need anything,don't want anything,done with wearing stupid over priced clothes...etc but would love to be a fly on the wall and cherry pick some moments from my past circa 1987-1997 and watch them over again and cry with laughter.
Moved a long way fom Swansea nearly 20ys ago and love coming back....but love leaving aswell
[Post edited 6 Nov 2023 18:28]

Places and things you miss from Swansea past? on 19:15 - Nov 6 with 1748 viewsFireboy2

Places and things you miss from Swansea past? on 18:26 - Nov 6 by 1983

Strange I'm the same as you then in my late teens early 20's we were always skint, no proper job all but sofa surfing telling our parents we were going "out" and go missing for days getting up to all sorts.Some brilliant laughs and experiences on a Swansea away game once I ended up staying in Leeds for about 2 weeks with a bird I met. Then bunked a train back to London and then London back to the land of the daft. I watched as 6 of my good mates got married in the early 90's because that's what happened them going off to B&Q and me going off taking E's dancing in a field near Swindon. They are now all divorced what a waste of your early life that was if the Internet was about 10 years earlier I would have 100% gone off travelling.
Great days though having to actually save money in your bedroom draw and stay in so you could go on an away trip or a boys holiday now fast forward 30yrs I'm financially comfortable now,mortgage paid off, I don't need anything,don't want anything,done with wearing stupid over priced clothes...etc but would love to be a fly on the wall and cherry pick some moments from my past circa 1987-1997 and watch them over again and cry with laughter.
Moved a long way fom Swansea nearly 20ys ago and love coming back....but love leaving aswell
[Post edited 6 Nov 2023 18:28]

👏👏👏👏👏👏👏
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024