Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Care home fees 23:32 - Apr 30 with 1628 viewsTNT

Can a house, placed in a Trust, be sold without incurring care home fees?

Poll: Would you make goalposts bigger?

Care home fees on 23:44 - Apr 30 with 1059 viewsmajorraglan

I was told a few years ago that gifting a house to one’s children wouldn’t avoid the incurring of care home fees IF the transfer was specifically made to avoid paying care home fees, there is also a 14 year time frame but that can also be set aside if the local authority can prove the reason for the transfer was to avoid care home fees.

In terms of your question, it’s likely to be complicated so I’d start by speaking to the CAB.
Care home fees on 00:42 - May 1 with 1032 viewsRobbie

Care home fees on 23:44 - Apr 30 by majorraglan

I was told a few years ago that gifting a house to one’s children wouldn’t avoid the incurring of care home fees IF the transfer was specifically made to avoid paying care home fees, there is also a 14 year time frame but that can also be set aside if the local authority can prove the reason for the transfer was to avoid care home fees.

In terms of your question, it’s likely to be complicated so I’d start by speaking to the CAB.

Few weeks ago had to help my son put a £10k deposit on a house , now purchased .

His Legal / Mortgage advisors needed to know all my back history of financal dealings .
Statements , proven records , ID , all double checked and photocopied at a designated
Post Office , then sent to the relevant provider for him .

My wording of that money in the initial paperwork was a loan to him , not good enough . Wording had to be a gift to him , such a small mistake to make , they picked it up and I had to re - write the document with ammendments .

Small print these days is a get out of jail card for many businesses , who does read it now.

Post Office then charged my 13 quid for sending a letter off with an offical stamping on the said duplicate documents .
Care home fees on 06:14 - May 1 with 987 viewsWhiterockin

Personally I would have a free half hour with a solicitor and discus it. There are different things to do if you are talking about a parents house or your own. One of the biggest things if it is your house and you have a partner is joint tenants or tenants in common. This could save some care home fees and possible inheritance tax. But get advice because some things you can do have time limits some do not.
Care home fees on 08:24 - May 1 with 950 viewsJumpingJackFlash

Beware "deprivation of assets". You're only allowed to give a couple of grand a year to offspring or the local authority will claim that you are doing it to avoid care home fees, trust or no trust.

As others have said, see a solicitor or CAB but make sure whoever you see knows the subject. It can get complicated and cash strapped local authorities don't turn a blind eye like they sometimes used to.
Care home fees on 10:30 - May 1 with 900 viewscontroversial_jack

A trust would consist of several people, not just the individual in the care home. Who would they demand the money from, how would they prove it if there's more than one trustee. A trust can't be taken to court. It's what the Blair did, they had trusts and trusts withing trusts,, they were untouchable
Care home fees on 10:33 - May 1 with 899 viewscontroversial_jack

Care home fees on 23:44 - Apr 30 by majorraglan

You are correct there. The Children would have to prove that they contributed to the upkeep of that property in some way, but there is no time limit, that's a myth.We did it a while ago,

As you stated, the council would have to prove their case
Care home fees on 17:52 - May 1 with 820 viewsSullutaCreturned

https://www.lawsociety.org.uk/public/for-public-visitors/common-legal-issues/tru
Care home fees on 18:24 - May 1 with 783 viewscontroversial_jack

Care home fees on 17:52 - May 1 by SullutaCreturned

https://www.lawsociety.org.uk/public/for-public-visitors/common-legal-issues/tru

Yes, there are different types of trusts, correct!
Login to get fewer ads

Care home fees on 18:27 - May 1 with 782 viewsmax936

If there's a way for this Government to take any extra money you have off you, they will 100%.
Their supporters on here are deluded in their support for them, none are so blind as those that can't see,
And before anyone calls me a labour supporter, I'll quite categorically state that I'm absolutely not, I've got no time for ANY of them from any party, none of them knock my door looking for votes, cause they get short shrift off me.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Care home fees on 19:24 - May 1 with 744 viewsonehunglow

Care home fees on 18:27 - May 1 by max936

If there's a way for this Government to take any extra money you have off you, they will 100%.
Their supporters on here are deluded in their support for them, none are so blind as those that can't see,
And before anyone calls me a labour supporter, I'll quite categorically state that I'm absolutely not, I've got no time for ANY of them from any party, none of them knock my door looking for votes, cause they get short shrift off me.

We’ve just settled my wife’s mum’s estate
What was left was a fraction of what her house was left . She sold the house to pay for her care.
The home had a majority of folk NOT paying a penny .
It seems if you cone from a family that self sustained through a life time of work ,yiu get shafted.
Those that pyss their money away pay nothing
Labour responsible for all this ? Nope.
Cameron and May primarily
This is what damns them,not trite craptalk of posh boys and rich tax avoiders

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Care home fees on 20:15 - May 1 with 715 viewsmax936

Care home fees on 19:24 - May 1 by onehunglow

We’ve just settled my wife’s mum’s estate
What was left was a fraction of what her house was left . She sold the house to pay for her care.
The home had a majority of folk NOT paying a penny .
It seems if you cone from a family that self sustained through a life time of work ,yiu get shafted.
Those that pyss their money away pay nothing
Labour responsible for all this ? Nope.
Cameron and May primarily
This is what damns them,not trite craptalk of posh boys and rich tax avoiders

Rich, people work all their life's sometimes 50+ years, that's 50+ years of paying into the economy and then some of us become ill and infirm and end up requires full time and all the savings and the house they scrimped and saved for with the intention of leaving it to their kids, grandkids gets eaten up by the cost of them needing to be cared for in a home, its not enough that they lose their dignity with their ill health etc, they are then robbed of all they worked for, by the cost of staying in these care homes, the cost is scandalous.

Its an absolute disgrace.

Care home fees on 20:30 - May 1 with 686 viewsonehunglow

Care home fees on 20:15 - May 1 by max936

Rich, people work all their life's sometimes 50+ years, that's 50+ years of paying into the economy and then some of us become ill and infirm and end up requires full time and all the savings and the house they scrimped and saved for with the intention of leaving it to their kids, grandkids gets eaten up by the cost of them needing to be cared for in a home, its not enough that they lose their dignity with their ill health etc, they are then robbed of all they worked for, by the cost of staying in these care homes, the cost is scandalous.

It was tough Steve,watching her money being sucked up by a “ home” ,paying staff peanuts and feeding the inmates food our dog wouldn’t touch .
Tories and Labour equally culpable

Posh boys ? Could give a monkeys how rich they are so long as they don’t force what are termed “ ordinary” folk into using hard earned life savings to pay for “ care”

It would be better to have a live in assistant and cheaper too .

Care home fees on 20:46 - May 1 with 684 viewsmax936

Care home fees on 20:30 - May 1 by onehunglow

It was tough Steve,watching her money being sucked up by a “ home” ,paying staff peanuts and feeding the inmates food our dog wouldn’t touch .
Tories and Labour equally culpable

Posh boys ? Could give a monkeys how rich they are so long as they don’t force what are termed “ ordinary” folk into using hard earned life savings to pay for “ care”

It would be better to have a live in assistant and cheaper too .

My dear old Mum stayed at home throughout her illness, she wouldn't go in a home it took its toll on Dad though, the stress of it all caught up with him after she passed and poor bugger ended up in hospital and passed away a month later and in November just like Mum who passed the year earlier in 2021,. The time has flown since [

Care home fees on 20:51 - May 1 with 678 viewsonehunglow

Care home fees on 20:46 - May 1 by max936

My dear old Mum stayed at home throughout her illness, she wouldn't go in a home it took its toll on Dad though, the stress of it all caught up with him after she passed and poor bugger ended up in hospital and passed away a month later and in November just like Mum who passed the year earlier in 2021,. The time has flown since [

Time.

Care home fees on 20:59 - May 1 with 675 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

Care home fees on 20:15 - May 1 by max936

My dad's fees were £600K over 11 years. What galls me is idiots saying tax homeowners more. He ran a small business and there was about £100K left at the end that went to his grandchildren.
He paid an extra £600K in indirect tax compared to those funded by the state including his £250K house.

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

Care home fees on 21:13 - May 1 with 651 viewsmax936

Care home fees on 20:59 - May 1 by JACKMANANDBOY

My dad's fees were £600K over 11 years. What galls me is idiots saying tax homeowners more. He ran a small business and there was about £100K left at the end that went to his grandchildren.
He paid an extra £600K in indirect tax compared to those funded by the state including his £250K house.

That's Shocking and wrong in my opinion.

Care home fees on 21:16 - May 1 with 651 viewsFlashberryjack

Some really, really sad stories on this thread, the saddest thing is, it's not going to get any better.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Care home fees on 21:18 - May 1 with 647 viewsonehunglow

Care home fees on 20:59 - May 1 by JACKMANANDBOY

Good God Almighty
That is grotesque mate and exactly the point Inam making
Our old folk are effectively sh@t on by successive governments .
Why?
Because there are no votes in it for them

Care home fees on 21:20 - May 1 with 645 viewsonehunglow

Care home fees on 21:16 - May 1 by Flashberryjack

Some really, really sad stories on this thread, the saddest thing is, it's not going to get any better.

That previous post has really upset me
I vividly remember going around Swansea with my sister looking at care homes safe in the knowledge that they weren’t really anything like that .
My mum died in one,my father went to live with my sister and was a complete pig to her.
Yep, you never forget
I want a young man’s death

Care home fees on 21:34 - May 1 with 642 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

Care home fees on 21:18 - May 1 by onehunglow

Good God Almighty
That is grotesque mate and exactly the point Inam making
Our old folk are effectively sh@t on by successive governments .
Why?
Because there are no votes in it for them

The politics around this is a real smoke screen. You'll hear from stupid ill informed people things like "people who own houses should pay more tax " and "inheritance tax should increase" and "we should pay more tax for social care" and "people have made too much money out of houses and should be taxed more".
The reality is that if you've got more than about £20K then all those things are already more than true if you need care.
I am pleased I looked after my Dad, I also brought an annuity after it became obvious his care would be long term, that in effect protected the £100K for his grandchildren.
But he worked hard never claimed benefits, he would say benefits are for those who are unable to look after themselves, he worked for 50 years paid his taxes and got mugged by the state.
[Post edited 1 May 21:35]

Care home fees on 21:39 - May 1 with 629 viewsonehunglow

Care home fees on 21:34 - May 1 by JACKMANANDBOY

The politics around this is a real smoke screen. You'll hear from stupid ill informed people things like "people who own houses should pay more tax " and "inheritance tax should increase" and "we should pay more tax for social care" and "people have made too much money out of houses and should be taxed more".
The reality is that if you've got more than about £20K then all those things are already more than true if you need care.
I am pleased I looked after my Dad, I also brought an annuity after it became obvious his care would be long term, that in effect protected the £100K for his grandchildren.
But he worked hard never claimed benefits, he would say benefits are for those who are unable to look after themselves, he worked for 50 years paid his taxes and got mugged by the state.

So right.
And bravo to you

Care home fees on 21:43 - May 1 with 622 viewsonehunglow

Care home fees on 21:34 - May 1 by JACKMANANDBOY

Many go 50 yrs refusing emp,oh ent and create a lifestyle that sees the State look after them and their family.
They pay nothing yet receive everything
These are often referred to as “ deprived” or “poor”.
Those who subsidise this life of sloth are ,often than not, “ ordinary” folk ,the type who never complain or look for help preferring to look after themselves .
These are the people the posh,rich,entitled, Tories should be looking after,ie,those who work and always have done .

Care home fees on 21:59 - May 1 with 589 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

Care home fees on 21:43 - May 1 by onehunglow

Many go 50 yrs refusing emp,oh ent and create a lifestyle that sees the State look after them and their family.
They pay nothing yet receive everything
These are often referred to as “ deprived” or “poor”.
Those who subsidise this life of sloth are ,often than not, “ ordinary” folk ,the type who never complain or look for help preferring to look after themselves .
These are the people the posh,rich,entitled, Tories should be looking after,ie,those who work and always have done .

As I push towards retirement I'm reflecting on my Dad's experience and looking carefully at my own financial position. Providing for yourself seems to be a mugs game and at the same time I would not want to get sick and be a burden on my family.
State provision is only going to get worse. I think there is a market for really good quality advice in planning for your later years, I think I need to look at the insurance market.

Care home fees on 22:08 - May 1 with 587 viewsmax936

They won't though, they just want more and more out of you, even on about means testing the State Pension as well apparently, while they squirrel away their money in various fox holes out of reach of HMRC's prying eyes.

They know all the tricks they have their "advisers" to help, that's why I keep going on about these lot born with silver spoons in their ravenous gobs, should be nowhere near government, they have little or no idea of how the common man lives and survives.

Governments should have a mix from all walks of life and people who actually know what life is.

Care home fees on 09:44 - May 2 with 487 viewsonehunglow

Care home fees on 21:59 - May 1 by JACKMANANDBOY

As I push towards retirement I'm reflecting on my Dad's experience and looking carefully at my own financial position. Providing for yourself seems to be a mugs game and at the same time I would not want to get sick and be a burden on my family.
State provision is only going to get worse. I think there is a market for really good quality advice in planning for your later years, I think I need to look at the insurance market.

Good luck ,really.
You can’t plan for every eventuality though.
It’s a fine balance and never underestimate the power of good fortune.
Be lucky

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024