Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Pliny the Younger -- eyewitness account of 79 AD eruption of Mt Vesuvius 00:03 - Apr 13 with 637 viewsDavillin

A fascinating eyewitness account from Pliny the Younger of the eruption and aftermath of the eruption of Mt Vesuvius in 79 AD. Both letters are at the following URL:

http://smatch-international.org/PlinyLetters.html

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

Pliny the Younger -- eyewitness account of 79 AD eruption of Mt Vesuvius on 01:58 - Apr 13 with 595 viewsLohengrin

Cheers, Dav. I've read that before in my last year of secondary school I should think, circa 1879. I'm sat here chuckling at seeing that in the middle of threads about soap operas and other shite!

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Pliny the Younger -- eyewitness account of 79 AD eruption of Mt Vesuvius on 07:23 - Apr 13 with 577 viewsEdmundo

Interesting read, having now been to vesuvius and pompeii.
Wonder whether the film will stay close to the reality of what was written here or dramatise it into something film watchers expect!

Swansea City-Officially the best football team in Wales-FACT

Pliny the Younger -- eyewitness account of 79 AD eruption of Mt Vesuvius on 10:47 - Apr 13 with 546 viewseddie71

It's a fascinating board this. With all the usual nonsense being occasionally interupted with flashes of erudition from Dav and Lohengrin.
Pliny the Younger -- eyewitness account of 79 AD eruption of Mt Vesuvius on 19:14 - Apr 13 with 514 viewsDavillin

Pliny the Younger -- eyewitness account of 79 AD eruption of Mt Vesuvius on 07:23 - Apr 13 by Edmundo

Wonder whether the film will stay close to the reality of what was written here or dramatise it into something film watchers expect!

Let's hope they don't try to jazz it up. It's dramatic and fascinating enough as it is.

I too hope they use Pliny the Younger as part of their research.

Pliny the Younger -- eyewitness account of 79 AD eruption of Mt Vesuvius on 19:16 - Apr 13 with 512 viewsDr_Winston

Pliny the Younger -- eyewitness account of 79 AD eruption of Mt Vesuvius on 07:23 - Apr 13 by Edmundo

It's being directed by Paul W.S. Anderson, so there will be minimal characterisation and lots and lots of splosions.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Pliny the Younger -- eyewitness account of 79 AD eruption of Mt Vesuvius on 19:20 - Apr 13 with 509 viewsDavillin

Pliny the Younger -- eyewitness account of 79 AD eruption of Mt Vesuvius on 10:47 - Apr 13 by eddie71

It's a fascinating board this. With all the usual nonsense being occasionally interupted with flashes of erudition from Dav and Lohengrin.

Thanks, Eddie. That's the main reason I like this board.

Lohengrin and I are not the only ones who post interesting stuff, and not by a long shot. I can name at least a dozen or two off the top of my head. A couple of dozen others who don't initiate many threads make very valuable contributions.

Pliny the Younger -- eyewitness account of 79 AD eruption of Mt Vesuvius on 20:03 - Apr 13 with 492 viewsunion_jack

Nope, the Americans will cap it off just in time

Sorry Dav, just joshing!

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Pliny the Younger -- eyewitness account of 79 AD eruption of Mt Vesuvius on 11:26 - Apr 14 with 447 viewsBanosswan

Pliny the Younger -- eyewitness account of 79 AD eruption of Mt Vesuvius on 19:16 - Apr 13 by Dr_Winston

It's being directed by Paul W.S. Anderson, so there will be minimal characterisation and lots and lots of splosions.

Along with Mila Jovovich and zombies.

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

Login to get fewer ads

Pliny the Younger -- eyewitness account of 79 AD eruption of Mt Vesuvius on 11:42 - Apr 14 with 441 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Robert Harris' book "Pompeii" is a good read.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Pliny the Younger -- eyewitness account of 79 AD eruption of Mt Vesuvius on 12:27 - Apr 14 with 427 viewsEdmundo

Bit late for that dav, film is made, about to be released.

Swansea City-Officially the best football team in Wales-FACT

Pliny the Younger -- eyewitness account of 79 AD eruption of Mt Vesuvius on 13:17 - Apr 14 with 412 viewsDavillin

Pliny the Younger -- eyewitness account of 79 AD eruption of Mt Vesuvius on 12:27 - Apr 14 by Edmundo

Bit late for that dav, film is made, about to be released.

Thanks for that. I hope it's a god one.

Pliny the Younger -- eyewitness account of 79 AD eruption of Mt Vesuvius on 16:34 - Apr 14 with 391 viewsDr_Winston

Pliny the Younger -- eyewitness account of 79 AD eruption of Mt Vesuvius on 11:26 - Apr 14 by Banosswan

Along with Mila Jovovich and zombies.

Do you hear me complaining about the Milla Jovovich?

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Pliny the Younger -- eyewitness account of 79 AD eruption of Mt Vesuvius on 10:19 - Apr 15 with 350 viewsPegojack

I imagine when they were evacuating people from Herculaneum, the boats were delayed for two hours because officials in Pompeii made all the refugees take a circular route around the backstreets before they were allowed to get on.....
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024