Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I don't expect us to get relegated, but... 16:04 - Nov 19 with 699 viewsjackjackjackjack

What is the greatest fall from grace, to relegation, over the course of one season?

Hopefully no team has ever dropped from 8th to the bottom three?

Poll: Where will we finish in the Championship ?

I don't expect us to get relegated, but... on 16:38 - Nov 19 with 667 viewsTummer_from_Texas

I would imagine the 1982-83 Swans season would rank among the worst disasters in First Division/PL history. (from 6th to relegated)

For those who were around back then, what went wrong? Injuries? Was the roster pilfered by the bigger clubs?
[Post edited 19 Nov 2015 16:45]

Poll: Biggest signing so far in January? (just curious what Planet Swans thinks)

I don't expect us to get relegated, but... on 17:22 - Nov 19 with 624 viewsjacabertawe

I don't expect us to get relegated, but... on 16:38 - Nov 19 by Tummer_from_Texas

I would imagine the 1982-83 Swans season would rank among the worst disasters in First Division/PL history. (from 6th to relegated)

For those who were around back then, what went wrong? Injuries? Was the roster pilfered by the bigger clubs?
[Post edited 19 Nov 2015 16:45]

The latter. Not so much "pilfered" as sold without considering the consequences. Or is my memory at fault?

Britishness...is a political synonym for Englishness which extends English culture over the Scots, the Welsh, and the Irish. - Gwynfor Evans

I don't expect us to get relegated, but... on 19:32 - Nov 19 with 547 viewsAnotherJohn

I don't expect us to get relegated, but... on 17:22 - Nov 19 by jacabertawe

The latter. Not so much "pilfered" as sold without considering the consequences. Or is my memory at fault?

I'd say it was injuries and lack of depth. We did not really start unloading many players until after we got relegated. If you read the players' memoirs you'll also read dark hints of bad things going on off the field, but I am not really sure exactly what.

It was a heavy blow when our record signing and central defender - Colin Irwin - picked up a long-term injury. That was crucial because although Latchford excelled with 20 goals in 34 games, we shipped a lot as well (69) and had some heavy defeats at home (1-5 vs West Ham). We went the whole season without an away league win.

It is sobering to recall that we began that 1982-83 season with two wins and a draw, and were 14th at the end of November. Like this season, that team had a difficult run in, with 4 of the last 7 games against top 5 teams. We were still just outside the drop zone in March, but ended up next to bottom.
[Post edited 19 Nov 2015 19:36]
I don't expect us to get relegated, but... on 19:45 - Nov 19 with 519 viewsVetchfieldpasty

Portsmouth?
I don't expect us to get relegated, but... on 19:52 - Nov 19 with 505 viewsjackjackjackjack

Answering my own question: Looking back at the last 10 years only...

Reading were 8th, and got 55 points, in 2007, and were relegated the next season.

Birmingham were 9th in 2010, with 50 points, and were relegated in 2011.

Norwich have fallen from 11th, and Fulham from 12th.

Poll: Where will we finish in the Championship ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024