Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
{January and] February Music Lovers' Thread 13:29 - Feb 8 with 4172 viewsDavillin

It's been a while since we had a Music Lovers' Thread, so here's one for February 2016 [and the rest of January].

Vince Gill's most popular and some think best recording is "Go Rest High on that Mountain." It has been covered by many of the greats, and done by Vince as a duet or trio with just about all of them.

[Post edited 8 Feb 2016 13:29]

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

{January and] February Music Lovers' Thread on 13:31 - Feb 8 with 2397 viewsDavillin

Here he is with two of the absolute greatest, Alison Krauss and Ricky Skaggs [at the Grand Ole Opry]:

[Post edited 8 Feb 2016 13:31]

{January and] February Music Lovers' Thread on 14:00 - Feb 8 with 2366 viewsPrivate_Partz

{January and] February Music Lovers' Thread on 13:31 - Feb 8 by Davillin

Here he is with two of the absolute greatest, Alison Krauss and Ricky Skaggs [at the Grand Ole Opry]:

[Post edited 8 Feb 2016 13:31]

I have got one of Vince's albums. Good artist with a great voice but I find him a bit sugary at times..
I like the late great Hoyt Axton who seems to be almost completely ignored by the C and W scene. My favourite now is the Canadian Corb Lund and his band the Hurtin' Albertans. Well worth checking out if you have not heard of them.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

{January and] February Music Lovers' Thread on 14:15 - Feb 8 with 2359 viewsDavillin

{January and] February Music Lovers' Thread on 14:00 - Feb 8 by Private_Partz

I have got one of Vince's albums. Good artist with a great voice but I find him a bit sugary at times..
I like the late great Hoyt Axton who seems to be almost completely ignored by the C and W scene. My favourite now is the Canadian Corb Lund and his band the Hurtin' Albertans. Well worth checking out if you have not heard of them.

I agree with your comments on both Vince and Hoyt Axton. Thanks.

{January and] February Music Lovers' Thread on 14:27 - Feb 8 with 2352 viewsLohengrin

Three of the very best, Dav.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

{January and] February Music Lovers' Thread on 14:42 - Feb 8 with 2331 viewsLohengrin

{January and] February Music Lovers' Thread on 14:00 - Feb 8 by Private_Partz

Axton doesn't get much play on the Country stations any more, if he ever got much at all, because he's too Country for the programmer's pop sensibilities. I've been a fan for years, I think he's great. He sits astride that point where country and folk blur and merge.

If you like him you should check out J B Beverley, pal. I think you'd enjoy him. He's another one who doesn't fit neatly into any industry pigeon-holes.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

{January and] February Music Lovers' Thread on 18:31 - Feb 8 with 2296 viewsDavillin

When I look back on my almost 80 years, I find myself most blessed by the brilliant music and musicians I have known through the years.

I admit to a bias toward country/bluegrass music, as the songs suggested above justify.

You may imagine living in [just outside] Nashville at the age of 17-19 or so in 1954-55. I did.

Thanks.

{January and] February Music Lovers' Thread on 18:44 - Feb 8 with 2286 viewsGowerjack

Me

I've been listening to this lot.

Very very good

Plastic since 1974
Poll: Is ECB for tyranny?

{January and] February Music Lovers' Thread on 19:16 - Feb 8 with 2264 viewsepaul

In honour of the god of rock

The hair and the beard have gone I am now conforming to society, tis a sad day The b*stards are coming back though

Login to get fewer ads

{January and] February Music Lovers' Thread on 20:38 - Feb 8 with 2220 viewsPrivate_Partz

{January and] February Music Lovers' Thread on 14:42 - Feb 8 by Lohengrin

Axton doesn't get much play on the Country stations any more, if he ever got much at all, because he's too Country for the programmer's pop sensibilities. I've been a fan for years, I think he's great. He sits astride that point where country and folk blur and merge.

If you like him you should check out J B Beverley, pal. I think you'd enjoy him. He's another one who doesn't fit neatly into any industry pigeon-holes.

Miles apart politically but on similar wavelengths musically it would seem :-)
Thanks to you and Dav for the links. I am definitely checking out JBB and it is great others have know of Hoyt. Sometimes it feels like I am the only one that's heard of him.
I will try and post a couple more links of another hero of mine.
Sorry I have forgotten how to do pretty pictures. just hopetthey will work.

Stan Ridgway comes with a health warning as C and W type music is only part of his repertoire. He is as mad as a box of frogs and, whilst he has his own style, nearly every album sounds different hence he will never be famous. Probably wrong even sticking him in a C and W thread :-)

Edit: The pretty pics worked!!!
[Post edited 8 Feb 2016 20:43]

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

{January and] February Music Lovers' Thread on 21:26 - Feb 8 with 2180 viewsDavillin

Rather than reproduce your post, I'll just hit the things I want to comment on.

These "music lovers' threads" have never been devoted to any one musical style. That's part of their charm. And that reflects the wide tastes in music among P.S. posters -- almost as wide as their ideas about football.

This happened to start with country/bluegrass, and drew Lohengrin in quickly, as that is one within his taste range.

Hoyt Axton has been gone for quite some time now, and his work has faded, partly because it wasn't that extensive in the first place. People of my age and tastes appreciated his work because his work was more eclectic than not, and always well done.

{January and] February Music Lovers' Thread on 21:57 - Feb 8 with 2170 viewsGowerjack

{January and] February Music Lovers' Thread on 19:16 - Feb 8 by epaul

In honour of the god of rock

Prefer this to be honest.

Neither an easy listen but proof of the the mans talent right to the end...

Blackstar

If You Can See Me

[Post edited 8 Feb 2016 21:58]

Plastic since 1974

{January and] February Music Lovers' Thread on 22:03 - Feb 8 with 2154 viewsswansRus

As this a general music thread - I thought I'd give an unashamed plug to my 15 year old (last week) son - self taught on the guitar - doing covers right now - but hopefully he'll move on to his own stuff.

{January and] February Music Lovers' Thread on 22:12 - Feb 8 with 2142 viewsGowerjack

{January and] February Music Lovers' Thread on 22:03 - Feb 8 by swansRus

As this a general music thread - I thought I'd give an unashamed plug to my 15 year old (last week) son - self taught on the guitar - doing covers right now - but hopefully he'll move on to his own stuff.

He's good!

Oddly enough we found our lead guitar player on Planet Swans and he's only a lad but like your son already a talented player.

Nice one.

Plastic since 1974

{January and] February Music Lovers' Thread on 23:11 - Feb 8 with 2111 viewsVinnie

Top of my playlist at the moment is a live David Bowie cd,"Outside In Budapest".It's a really excellent mixing desk recording of a show from August '97 with too many highlights to mention.It's closely followed by the Breeders multi disc set "LSXX".This is basically the album "Last Splash" remastered,plus a cd of demo's for the album and a recording of a live gig from that period.If a fan,it's well worth getting just to hear the demo's.I've also very recently got a reissue of the John Lee Hooker album,"The Country Blues Of John Lee Hooker" which includes the fantastic "Tupelo Blues".This track,like the rest of the album,features just Hooker, his guitar and voice and is superb.
{January and] February Music Lovers' Thread on 23:24 - Feb 8 with 2098 viewsdailew

{January and] February Music Lovers' Thread on 18:44 - Feb 8 by Gowerjack

Me

I've been listening to this lot.

Very very good

Owe everything to our Shirl.

Poll: Would you like Rodgers back as the new manager ?

{January and] February Music Lovers' Thread on 23:42 - Feb 8 with 2079 viewslondonlisa2001

{January and] February Music Lovers' Thread on 23:24 - Feb 8 by dailew

Owe everything to our Shirl.

You probably already know this but the story of Shirl and Kanye West was quite amusing where she took him to task for using Diamonds Are Forever without her permission. Hard for him to negotiate when the track was already released and she had him over a barrel.
{January and] February Music Lovers' Thread on 00:00 - Feb 9 with 2071 viewsdailew

{January and] February Music Lovers' Thread on 23:42 - Feb 8 by londonlisa2001

You probably already know this but the story of Shirl and Kanye West was quite amusing where she took him to task for using Diamonds Are Forever without her permission. Hard for him to negotiate when the track was already released and she had him over a barrel.

No never knew that. Was going to say perhaps he's not the sharpest tool in the box but he's sold 32m albums, won 21 Grammys and is worth $180m so obviously no fool.

P.S. Been listening to this a few times recently. Great lyrics.

On a convenient seat
By the Lavatories
In the sodium glare
We used to wait for the bus
In a passionate clutch
And go as far as we dare

[Post edited 9 Feb 2016 0:15]

Poll: Would you like Rodgers back as the new manager ?

{January and] February Music Lovers' Thread on 00:16 - Feb 9 with 2062 viewsWarwickHunt

{January and] February Music Lovers' Thread on 23:42 - Feb 8 by londonlisa2001

He didn't need her permission (unless she'd bought the sound recording or publishing rights - highly unlikely), it was written by John Barry and Don Black.

Doubt if she had anything to do with the Public Enemy sample either - she didn't write it and it was arranged and produced by Johnny Harris.

Not getting sample clearance before release is about as dumb as it gets though. Unless money's no object...

[Post edited 9 Feb 2016 0:18]
{January and] February Music Lovers' Thread on 10:06 - Feb 9 with 1988 viewsPolskijack

Two great icons (singer and writer). Emotional.
{January and] February Music Lovers' Thread on 10:36 - Feb 9 with 1973 viewsWarwickHunt

{January and] February Music Lovers' Thread on 10:06 - Feb 9 by Polskijack

Two great icons (singer and writer). Emotional.

A public schoolboy singing "They sold I to the merchant ship".

All together now - Swing low ...
{January and] February Music Lovers' Thread on 10:39 - Feb 9 with 1972 viewsPrivate_Partz

{January and] February Music Lovers' Thread on 21:57 - Feb 8 by Gowerjack

Prefer this to be honest.

Neither an easy listen but proof of the the mans talent right to the end...

Blackstar

If You Can See Me

[Post edited 8 Feb 2016 21:58]

Thanks for that. Was never a huge fan preferring early Ferry / Roxy Music. There is no doubt however that Bowie remained inventive and pushing the boundaries whereas Ferry abandoned his inventive fellow band members and became the wishy washy overproduced artist he is today.
All I possesses is Changes One and Changes Two on vinyl. I think I will catch up with his swansong and get his last two albums As you say not easy viewing or listening but original and inventive never the less, and that is good enough for me.

{January and] February Music Lovers' Thread on 11:54 - Feb 9 with 1938 viewsGreatBritton

Any Howlin' Wolf fans out there?
{January and] February Music Lovers' Thread on 12:18 - Feb 9 with 1924 viewsWarwickHunt

{January and] February Music Lovers' Thread on 11:54 - Feb 9 by GreatBritton

Mr. Burnett was the "behind the panel" guest on Juke Box Jury when Smokestack Lightnin' came out.

When asked by David Jacobs (who addressed him as Mr. Wolf) why he sang like that, he growled "Cos that's the way I talks!"

{January and] February Music Lovers' Thread on 13:50 - Feb 9 with 1894 viewsDavillin

{January and] February Music Lovers' Thread on 11:54 - Feb 9 by GreatBritton

Not exactly a "fan," but I do appreciate what he did for the Blues, and his music. And I bought some of his albums years ago [on vinyl, of course], if that counts.
[Post edited 9 Feb 2016 13:57]

{January and] February Music Lovers' Thread on 13:53 - Feb 9 with 1889 viewsDavillin

{January and] February Music Lovers' Thread on 23:11 - Feb 8 by Vinnie

Top of my playlist at the moment is a live David Bowie cd,"Outside In Budapest".It's a really excellent mixing desk recording of a show from August '97 with too many highlights to mention.It's closely followed by the Breeders multi disc set "LSXX".This is basically the album "Last Splash" remastered,plus a cd of demo's for the album and a recording of a live gig from that period.If a fan,it's well worth getting just to hear the demo's.I've also very recently got a reissue of the John Lee Hooker album,"The Country Blues Of John Lee Hooker" which includes the fantastic "Tupelo Blues".This track,like the rest of the album,features just Hooker, his guitar and voice and is superb.

There's only one John Lee Hooker. "You let that boy boogie-woogie. It in him and it got to come out."

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024