Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Car Servicing.Main Dealers 09:48 - Sep 7 with 1462 viewsperchrockjack

Recently I had my modest Mazda serviced .
I rang the dealer from whom I purchased it last year and they quoted £270. Well fook off isn't it.

Eventually saw our local independent garage who did it for £81 which included a nice coffee and some admittedly cheap biscuits.

When new cars are purchased, the vendor always states to have it serviced by the main dealer-them- so as to maximise the value of the car when it comes to selling.

Ive sold countless car and three motor bikes in my lifetime and only twice been asked for the service book. In fact I sold my last bike privately and showed the punter the history record which was entirely mine and catalogued to the letter. He bought it without even haggling.

It simply is a case of having your car serviced and maintained by your local garage,most of whom will have diagnostic equipment for the task.

I was briefly contemplating buying a "premium "brand SUV until I researched the service costs, the run flat types and the retail value . Seems drivers of these cars are heavily influenced to have a main BMW/AUDI/MERC serviced by main dealer. Mugs really.

My only experience of a main dealer service was at that garage in Garngoch, which I saw still standing. Amazing

So, fook the suits, keep your local tradesmen in business

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Car Servicing.Main Dealers on 09:53 - Sep 7 with 1113 viewswaynekerr55

I've been investigating high mile older Audi Q3/5s - 58 - 60 plates with 80k on the clock. With the bubba and a Labrador space is needed

Can your local tradesmen still do these?

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

Car Servicing.Main Dealers on 09:57 - Sep 7 with 1101 viewsdickythorpe

Shop around in this day and age, main dealers aren't always the best option.
Car Servicing.Main Dealers on 09:58 - Sep 7 with 1093 viewsmagicdaps10

If you have a car within the warranty time and do not have the service done with them, the warranty will be null and void.

Although any new car should not have any issues within the warranty time given.

As for looking for a second hand car, i would always check Ebay as there are plenty of sellers both private and independent selling on there. Because it is so many sellers on Ebay then some are very competitive,so if you are willing to search then you will find some good cars at reasonable prices.

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

Car Servicing.Main Dealers on 10:02 - Sep 7 with 1078 viewsperchrockjack

Not sure about servicing a Labrador but you can find a site that might be able to assist.

Point is MAIN DEALERS are robbers. Local tradesmen are what we use all the time .

You pay for their skills not the dividends of shareholders

My dad uses the one in Howells Rd in Dunvant and he s brilliant.

No need to get ripped off whatever the age of the vehicle. BEAR IN MIND ,some independent garages are long established for a reason.

So there.

Didn't realise you drove a banger WaynNE. I Sold a lovely Octavia not that long ago. wouldn't have been ideal for you

Car Servicing.Main Dealers on 10:05 - Sep 7 with 1071 viewswaynekerr55

Car Servicing.Main Dealers on 10:02 - Sep 7 by perchrockjack

Not sure about servicing a Labrador but you can find a site that might be able to assist.

Point is MAIN DEALERS are robbers. Local tradesmen are what we use all the time .

You pay for their skills not the dividends of shareholders

My dad uses the one in Howells Rd in Dunvant and he s brilliant.

No need to get ripped off whatever the age of the vehicle. BEAR IN MIND ,some independent garages are long established for a reason.

So there.

Didn't realise you drove a banger WaynNE. I Sold a lovely Octavia not that long ago. wouldn't have been ideal for you

51 plate golf.

216k on the clock FSH.

The flywheel is Donald Ducked and theres a small rust bubble on the wheel arch but apart from that all good and 50mpg

Car Servicing.Main Dealers on 10:34 - Sep 7 with 1041 viewsmonmouth

This is why they call them Main Stealers.

Even the independents are getting expensive these days mind. Certainly after five years old or so, the idea that a dealer service history, (or the mileage, come to that) really affects the resale price of the car is, in my personal experience of selling them anyway, a total myth.

Kia Sportage is all the rage for SUV of choice down here Wayne.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Car Servicing.Main Dealers on 10:44 - Sep 7 with 1028 viewsLeonisGod

The only times I've ever not gone back to a main dealer, the car's been back in the garage 2 or 3 times in the following year. I'm sure local garages can do perfectly good jobs, but I've always found them to be a false economy. There are main dealers and main dealers though - I've used some and wouldn't touch them with a bargepole again. Swansea's actually one of the places where I've been less impressed with main dealers.
Car Servicing.Main Dealers on 10:56 - Sep 7 with 1019 viewsmagicdaps10

Car Servicing.Main Dealers on 10:34 - Sep 7 by monmouth

This is why they call them Main Stealers.

Even the independents are getting expensive these days mind. Certainly after five years old or so, the idea that a dealer service history, (or the mileage, come to that) really affects the resale price of the car is, in my personal experience of selling them anyway, a total myth.

Kia Sportage is all the rage for SUV of choice down here Wayne.

What you lose in the price of a car when selling that does not have main dealer history, you would have saved in the service costs you have paid by not going to them in the first place.

Literally a couple of hundred pounds at most.

Login to get fewer ads

Car Servicing.Main Dealers on 11:09 - Sep 7 with 1006 viewsmonmouth

Car Servicing.Main Dealers on 10:44 - Sep 7 by LeonisGod

The only times I've ever not gone back to a main dealer, the car's been back in the garage 2 or 3 times in the following year. I'm sure local garages can do perfectly good jobs, but I've always found them to be a false economy. There are main dealers and main dealers though - I've used some and wouldn't touch them with a bargepole again. Swansea's actually one of the places where I've been less impressed with main dealers.

Found a local independent that I just trust with our cars these days.

My gambit when I used to go to dealers, was always to tell the dealer that I've had an independent quote of about half what I think they'll charge. If they say they'll match it, I would then ring another one saying the same but dropping my 'quote' by 20% until they say they can't match it. I would then know what I'm dealing with and can decide whether it is worth going elsewhere. Quite handy living between so many 'local' dealers, although once it was even cheaper to travel to Reading, have a nice lunch out with Mrs M and pay the petrol. It was quite shocking how far they will drop and still presumably be making a marginal revenue.

Car Servicing.Main Dealers on 11:16 - Sep 7 with 992 viewsswanstillidai

Car Servicing.Main Dealers on 09:58 - Sep 7 by magicdaps10

If you have a car within the warranty time and do not have the service done with them, the warranty will be null and void.

Although any new car should not have any issues within the warranty time given.

As for looking for a second hand car, i would always check Ebay as there are plenty of sellers both private and independent selling on there. Because it is so many sellers on Ebay then some are very competitive,so if you are willing to search then you will find some good cars at reasonable prices.

"If you have a car within the warranty time and do not have the service done with them, the warranty will be null and void."

Incorrect

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/consumer-news/35704/watchdog-keeping-your-
Car Servicing.Main Dealers on 11:23 - Sep 7 with 981 viewsmagicdaps10

Car Servicing.Main Dealers on 11:16 - Sep 7 by swanstillidai

"If you have a car within the warranty time and do not have the service done with them, the warranty will be null and void."

Incorrect

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/consumer-news/35704/watchdog-keeping-your-

oh, well, i have learned my something new already and it is not even mid day.

[Post edited 7 Sep 2016 11:24]

Car Servicing.Main Dealers on 11:24 - Sep 7 with 979 viewsLeonisGod

Car Servicing.Main Dealers on 11:09 - Sep 7 by monmouth

Found a local independent that I just trust with our cars these days.

My gambit when I used to go to dealers, was always to tell the dealer that I've had an independent quote of about half what I think they'll charge. If they say they'll match it, I would then ring another one saying the same but dropping my 'quote' by 20% until they say they can't match it. I would then know what I'm dealing with and can decide whether it is worth going elsewhere. Quite handy living between so many 'local' dealers, although once it was even cheaper to travel to Reading, have a nice lunch out with Mrs M and pay the petrol. It was quite shocking how far they will drop and still presumably be making a marginal revenue.

Hand tip, ta. I'm lucky enough to have an in-law who knows all about cars, so I can get a good idea of parts costs and likely labour times. It's saved us a fair bit over the years; if it's a big job I've sometimes bought the parts directly from the distributor and got the main dealer to fit them. You need to have given them a fair bit of business before they'll agree to that though as they make such a huge markup on parts.
Car Servicing.Main Dealers on 11:48 - Sep 7 with 952 viewsmajorraglan

Car Servicing.Main Dealers on 11:16 - Sep 7 by swanstillidai

Incorrect

Yes it is incorrect, but getting a manufacturer to honour the warranty after it's been serviced elsewhere is much more difficult in practice than it is in theory. They question everything and do their utmost to not pay, they make things so awkward it causes massive delays and you are then without a car.

Wife drives a 2.5 year old car which we have had since new and has a full dealer service history, it developed a fuel pressure regulator problem and I took it back to the dealer. They diagnosed the problem and told me it would cost a £110 to fix, I told them I wasn't paying and took the car back. I contacted the manufacturer, they asked a few questions and because the car had a full dealer service history they picked up the tab and sorted the car out, they wouldn't have done it if the car had been serviced outside their network. If the fault had been a major one, I could have been high and dry. My other car is older and out of warranty, it's done locally.
Car Servicing.Main Dealers on 12:21 - Sep 7 with 925 viewsperchrockjack

We ve come to the core of the matter.
Its the very reason main dealers want to have you pay vastly overpriced services ,God help us, they even chuck Service Plans at you.

Servicing these days is very much plug it in and look coupled with oil /filters changer.

MOST can assess whether the wipers need replacing or the tyres need pressure.

Warranties ARE valid in all cases but GENUINE parts MUST be used and evidenced.

This is not problem as your garage will itemise your invoice.

And the worst offenders are German manufactures, Audi Bmw merc. To think almost bought an Audi makes my skin crawl.

Skodas Octavias are built on VW chassis and parts are virtually the same

They are virtually identical to to Audi A4 but to have that Audi badge costs you.

Car Servicing.Main Dealers on 12:30 - Sep 7 with 908 viewsmagicdaps10

Car Servicing.Main Dealers on 11:48 - Sep 7 by majorraglan

Yes it is incorrect, but getting a manufacturer to honour the warranty after it's been serviced elsewhere is much more difficult in practice than it is in theory. They question everything and do their utmost to not pay, they make things so awkward it causes massive delays and you are then without a car.

Wife drives a 2.5 year old car which we have had since new and has a full dealer service history, it developed a fuel pressure regulator problem and I took it back to the dealer. They diagnosed the problem and told me it would cost a £110 to fix, I told them I wasn't paying and took the car back. I contacted the manufacturer, they asked a few questions and because the car had a full dealer service history they picked up the tab and sorted the car out, they wouldn't have done it if the car had been serviced outside their network. If the fault had been a major one, I could have been high and dry. My other car is older and out of warranty, it's done locally.

A fuel pressure regulator you say.............is the car a AUDI by any chance?

If so, the sensor?

Car Servicing.Main Dealers on 12:52 - Sep 7 with 885 viewsmonmouth

Car Servicing.Main Dealers on 11:48 - Sep 7 by majorraglan

They also make their rescue and recovery service offers null and void if anything happens. I'd stick to dealers for the warranty period personally, or buy a service plan with the car. The BMW ones are very good. I thought they'd try and make me pay for some 'extras' at some stage but they were as good as gold for 5 years. Also the previous owner bought the package...

Car Servicing.Main Dealers on 18:48 - Sep 7 with 728 viewsjohnlangy

I bought a Honda CRV a few weeks ago from Bassetts Bridgend. They offered the next two services for £250 (that's £125 each not £250 each). Brilliant deal.

It's a two year old car (14 reg) but the owner from new took out an extended 5 year warranty which transferred with the car. So, instead of a standard 12 month warranty i've got one till March 2019.

Happy days
Car Servicing.Main Dealers on 19:23 - Sep 7 with 699 viewsperchrockjack

Good deal that.judt make sure they do the job

Car Servicing.Main Dealers on 19:26 - Sep 7 with 687 viewsJackfath

Why buy a vehicle when the future is leasing?

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Car Servicing.Main Dealers on 19:41 - Sep 7 with 672 viewswaynekerr55

Car Servicing.Main Dealers on 19:26 - Sep 7 by Jackfath

Why buy a vehicle when the future is leasing?

Beware Fathy.

Garlic bread was once the future...

Car Servicing.Main Dealers on 19:43 - Sep 7 with 661 viewsJackfath

Car Servicing.Main Dealers on 19:41 - Sep 7 by waynekerr55

Beware Fathy.

Garlic bread was once the future...

What are the pitfalls of which one should be aware?

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.

Car Servicing.Main Dealers on 19:48 - Sep 7 with 657 viewswaynekerr55

Car Servicing.Main Dealers on 19:43 - Sep 7 by Jackfath

What are the pitfalls of which one should be aware?

Scrotes damaging your car, meaning charges post return.

Car Servicing.Main Dealers on 19:50 - Sep 7 with 653 viewsJackfath

Car Servicing.Main Dealers on 19:48 - Sep 7 by waynekerr55

Scrotes damaging your car, meaning charges post return.

If a scrote damages your own self purchased massively depreciating asset, aren't you going to pay to fix it or would you just leave the mirror hanging off your new Audi?

Car Servicing.Main Dealers on 19:52 - Sep 7 with 648 viewswaynekerr55

Car Servicing.Main Dealers on 19:50 - Sep 7 by Jackfath

If a scrote damages your own self purchased massively depreciating asset, aren't you going to pay to fix it or would you just leave the mirror hanging off your new Audi?

Good POINT!

Car Servicing.Main Dealers on 20:07 - Sep 7 with 631 viewsWxmJax

Wife has a Hyundai

Same service from Main Dealers

Shrewsbury £310
Cheshire Oaks £280
Swansea £211

Hmmmm.

Poll: England, General Election: How are you going to vote ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024